Wizarding World Schools

Ford Harkonnen

Wand
It's made of wood, I suppose
Nicolas King said:
I don't think it would. I think it might have two, but that's it.
Besides, having tonnes of people randomly joining saying "I went to Bing bong academy in Antarctica" would p1ss me off really quickly. So limiting it to known ones plus a few more may be best.

Also, the Wizarding world doesn't seem to be NEARLY as large as the muggle world and as such there probably aren't more than 10-15 wizarding schools in the entire 'world' and 3 are in Europe smile.gif

Well, that's the three we know about. In Britain, France, and Russia. There is one in Brazil (which would probably have its own, seeing as it's the only country in the Americas to speak Portuguese), and one or maybe two in the States. If the Salem one is girls only, definitely at least two.

Given population estimates for 2007:
US: 301139947
Ireland: 4109086
Great Britain: 60776238

The sum total of Ireland and GB's populations is roughly 21% of that of the US. So, I think a few more school than two is not unnatural. However, I do see where you're coming from on randomly making up school in other countries. As it stands right now, there are only two people who are not from our own canon: Edvard and Sarana. With that, it's not that big of a problem right now, and students who attend HNZ should try to be from Oceania unless they have a legitimate reason.

But you also need to consider where the wizarding community would tend to live, and granted there would definitely be one in Salem, but Europe has always been the hub of such things and probably remains in the universe JKR created to be the hub of activity in the "Wizarding World".

True, but there are five times the number of people in the US that there are in the British Isles alone. Also, the Native Americans had a rather large magical mythology and belief system that tends to get overlooked. Also, most of the population in the United States and Canada is from Britain, Ireland, and Germany (which also has a lot to do with magic and stuff).

Also, no offense to you Canadians, but chances are you guys would come down to the States, seeing as a vast majority of your population lives on the border or near it.

Native Americans wouldn't send their children to institutions to learn of tribal traditions and magic.

Professor Nicolas King said:
Native Americans wouldn't send their children to institutions to learn of tribal traditions and magic.
Granted, but there are probably others who practice it to. Scholars and such, it's a whole different branch of magic to investigate, and the Ministry wouldn't do it if there was no political edge to gain, so it'd be up to the schools.

Why wouldn't they? There are so many N.A that are not even of pure N.A(Like me) That would go to a school of Wizaring. Actually would it make if I added that to my pro becuase Maddiie character is kind of based on my race.

actually because the Native American culture was in threat of being forgotten and wiped out completely, schools to re-eduacate the new generations were introduced. Most of these are porta- cabins and such but teach traditional dance, language, skills etc. This also included their spiritual teachings. Not everyone in the tribes would have been party to 'magic' just chosen ones, 'medicine men and women' shamans etc.

yep there are 3 wizarding schools in Europe, but Europe is such a large continent nowadays.
:-B

But you also need to consider where the wizarding community would tend to live, and granted there would definitely be one in Salem, but Europe has always been the hub of such things and probably remains in the universe JKR created to be the hub of activity in the "Wizarding World".
Europe is the "hub" as you say it because guess where JK Rowling is from? Europe! You write what you know, and she knows Europe, so that is what she wrote. For all we know America had a flourishing Wizarding community.

Also, I think there would be more than two Wizarding schools in the America. If you are considering Europe a large continent, then please look at America and tell me how you can think there would only be two? Also, America does not have a lot of open wilderness, and no castles, so it is most likely that the schools in America are much smaller than Hogwarts, making there a need for more of them.

american castles

wilderness

more wilderness

well according to these there are loads of castles in America and millions of acres of wilderness!

Ok America is large, we get it and I'm sure there are wizarding schools there it would seem pretty mental for there not to be just because JKR didn't mention them doesn't make it any less possible.

There are castles in the states, just not really five hundred year old ones... XD Mostly replicas made for tourism and such...

And
Europe's population > United States Population
731,000,000 > 304,411,000
Therefore
Schools in Europe (assuming all are the same size) > Schools in the United States

Storm Avainne said:
american castles

wilderness

more wilderness

well according to these there are loads of castles in America and millions of acres of wilderness!

Ok America is large, we get it and I'm sure there are wizarding schools there it would seem pretty mental for there not to be just because JKR didn't mention them doesn't make it any less possible.
JKR mentioned the salem "school" (we're assuming as it's the Salem Witches Institute)
And in an interview she stated that American Wizarding Children have a place to go.

Storm Avainne said:
american castles

wilderness

more wilderness

JKR mentioned the salem "school" (we're assuming as it's the Salem Witches Institute)
And in an interview she stated that American Wizarding Children have a place to go.
'A<i></i> place to go!'

as in only one school then?? :-?

Andromeda Fiorelli said:
Storm Avainne said:
american castles

wilderness

more wilderness

'A<i></i> place to go!'

as in only one school then?? :-?
Well, technically the following is on HPL
There are three that we know of:

a school in Brazil from which Bill Weasley had a penfriend(GF7)

students in the U.S. have their own school (SN)

The Salem Witches' Institute, U.S.A. (possibly a school) (GF7)

Which comes from the following interview:
Q: Can American kids go to Hogwarts ? (Kelly)
A: No, they have their own school. You'll find out in Book 4. Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2000/0700-swns-alfie.htm

So it is still singular, yes.

Andromeda Fiorelli said:
there's a very high concentration of students at HNZ who are from Britain and Ireland, should we start coming up with some really good reasons for being there? :D
Ya, there should always have been a really good reason. :)
:p

Actually from what JK Rowling says in the books Parents have the right to request that their student attend a different School, It just might be up to the Parent to figure things out (Not saying the school doesn't hold the right to Deny the request of course).

Also I'm pretty sure there are more than three schools in Europe.

France seems to have it's own

Bulgaria has it's own (Possibly with Russia)

Italy and Germany Probably have their own each since they speak different languages.

Spain probably has it's own as well not to mention all the smaller nations like Romania and the Czech Republic.

So if you add up the 700 million and divide them up (not to mention that Hogwarts at best only had about 1000 Students) you'll see my point.

Not to mention people probably migrated away from England to other countries during the dark times.

Brian Getathorn XIX said:
Actually from what JK Rowling says in the books Parents have the right to request that their student attend a different School, It just might be up to the Parent to figure things out (Not saying the school doesn't hold the right to Deny the request of course).

Italy and Germany Probably have their own each since they speak different languages.

Spain probably has it's own as well not to mention all the smaller nations like Romania and the Czech Republic.

So if you add up the 700 million and divide them up (not to mention that Hogwarts at best only had about 1000 Students) you'll see my point.

Not to mention people probably migrated away from England to other countries during the dark times.
JKR expressly said in that interview that Hogwarts only serves those in Britain and Ireland. I'm sure it would be possible to request to go to a different school. But it would probably be very unlikely.
Also, why would there be a TRI-wizard cup with only THREE schools if there were other wizarding schools in Europe that were closer geographically than say Durmstrang. Logic dictates that there aren't in that sense.
Besides, I'm sure it's easy to learn english/french/some slavic language when you've got magic as an aid. ^_^ :p

Also, 700 million people aren't attending wizarding school! The magical community is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller that the muggle one.
As such, three wizarding schools in Europe, the only three JKR ever says exists, remains logical and canon.

JKR expressly said in that interview that Hogwarts only serves those in Britain and Ireland. I'm sure it would be possible to request to go to a different school. But it would probably be very unlikely.
Also, why would there be a TRI-wizard cup with only THREE schools if there were other wizarding schools in Europe that were closer geographically than say Durmstrang. Logic dictates that there aren't in that sense.
Besides, I'm sure it's easy to learn english/french/some slavic language when you've got magic as an aid. ^_^ :p

Also, 700 million people aren't attending wizarding school! The magical community is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller that the muggle one.
As such, three wizarding schools in Europe, the only three JKR ever says exists, remains logical and canon.
I'm going to say there was only three schools invited because it's called the TRI- Wizard Tournement. This means that only Three Schools compete besides considering that student's die in the competition it would be easy to say that other countries didn't want to risk it, France and England have always been rivals and Bulgaria had been in high spirits since their team almost won the Quidditch World Cup. Also I'm going to assume since nobody in Hogwarts spoke another language that people don't normally teach their kids other languages at least before they attend school and since there seems to be a Ministry For Magic in each country it would only seem right that their was a school to go with that.

Maybe the Wizarding world is significantly smaller but out of the

58,789,194 that live in Great Britain/ Ireland at least 30,000 are Witches and Wizards so giving that for one country alone I'm going to say that they must have more schools in Europe.

I'm going to say there was only three schools invited because it's called the TRI- Wizard Tournement. This means that only Three Schools compete besides considering that student's die in the competition it would be easy to say that other countries didn't want to risk it, France and England have always been rivals and Bulgaria had been in high spirits since their team almost won the Quidditch World Cup. Also I'm going to assume since nobody in Hogwarts spoke another language that people don't normally teach their kids other languages at least before they attend school and since there seems to be a Ministry For Magic in each country it would only seem right that their was a school to go with that.

Maybe the Wizarding world is significantly smaller but out of the

58,789,194 that live in Great Britain/ Ireland at least 30,000 are Witches and Wizards so giving that for one country alone I'm going to say that they must have more schools in Europe.
30, 000 witches and wizards, so how many are born any given year? Surely less than a thousand.

Births can not be tallied since some years booms and other years there are not.

But the point is there wouldn't be a need for 30 wizarding schools there as the majority should be adults, and hogwarts only accepts 11 year olds.

But the point is there wouldn't be a need for 30 wizarding schools there as the majority should be adults, and hogwarts only accepts 11 year olds.
Despite how many students attend a school I'm going to still disagree on a very simple Economic Principle.

Each Country has it's own set of laws that it is governed by.
This is including the fact that each country have their own Ministry For Magic therefore each country would want the students living in their country to attend a school that would teach them the laws for their country rather than the laws of another country.

Also I never said their were thirty different Schools either I merely stated that there would definately be more than three since you also have Italy and Germany which speak different languages, I would also assume Spain. I would estimate Europe as having around 10 Schools and that's being generous my exact guess would be 6 or 7.

I would suggest America as having perhaps around 5 or 6, For NE NW SE SW and one for Native Americans and Salem.

Despite how many students attend a school I'm going to still disagree on a very simple Economic Principle.

Each Country has it's own set of laws that it is governed by.
This is including the fact that each country have their own Ministry For Magic therefore each country would want the students living in their country to attend a school that would teach them the laws for their country rather than the laws of another country.

Also I never said their were thirty different Schools either I merely stated that there would definately be more than three since you also have Italy and Germany which speak different languages, I would also assume Spain. I would estimate Europe as having around 10 Schools and that's being generous my exact guess would be 6 or 7.

I would suggest America as having perhaps around 5 or 6, For NE NW SE SW and one for Native Americans and Salem.
What's up with "one in the north west, one in the southwest etc." trying to put down locations is silly.

JKR said that American children have A place to go. It was all singular. She intends for the US to have ONE wizarding school for children. (I\m not sure if Salem is it, or a seperate thing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back