OOC First Name
Cole
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Reuben <3
There was nobody who could truly comfort Saveli at the moment other than her father. They'd been back at the house for almost a week now, and Saveli knew that sooner or later she'd need to really talk to him. Things didn't need to be complicated. Saveli could swallow her pride and her wants, she could just write to Gabriel and pretend they were still friends. She could just laugh along, and pretend like she didn't notice him saying that he loved her. That she didn't just reply "you too." Saveli sighed, crumpling up another letter. Finally she gave in, her resolve widdled away by her lack of ability in letter writing.

The blonde moved slowly from her desk, picking up the crumpled bits of parchment around her room and tossing them into her mint colored bin. Paper stuck in the wiring but it didn't concern the Slytherin. Instead she sighed, moving away from it and toward her door. She knew Monty would be in his attic study at this moment, and knocked only for a second on the door. It was then that she realized she had no idea how Monty was going to react to the news of Gabriel's transferring - though Sav had always felt that Monty didn't necessarily like the boy who made her cry more often than he did laugh. "Dad?" She called out, moving to a seat. "Can we talk for a few minutes?" Instead of dumping everything at once, she opened up with that sentence - hoping to bring his attention to her.

By the light of the circular attic window, Monty crushed a piece of wormwood bark. His time for inventing had grown scarce of late, and what little of it he did manage to find was often spent by the side of a cauldron, but he did not mind. After nearly two decades tinkering with cogs, charms, and devices, inventing potions was a welcome change. Tricky, though, and Monty didn't doubt that his lack of success thus far was chiefly a result of his fear of brewing anything that might explode - again. His poor friends couldn't possibly rebuild his house a second time, and if he were to become homeless now, where would Saveli go? No, it was too risky, and he would not endanger her so. Still, he was content for now to experiment with milder ingredients, noting down reactions on a pad of parchment as he went.

After a while there came a knock at the door, and Monty turned his head. "Of course," he said, lowering the heat beneath his cauldron and trying to reign in his overactive imagination. Conversations that began with 'can we talk' had a habit of concerning serious things. He set down his quill and cleaned his hands on a towel. "What's the matter?"

Saveli took herself a seat across from where it was Monty was experimenting. The blonde folded her hands neatly in her lap, but felt awkward and moved again. "It's about Gabe." She gauged the reaction she got from Monty before continuing. "He's uhm... He's changing schools. He told me before the year ended and I... I was kind of relieved." Saveli felt guilty admitting so but it was true. "He asked me to keep in touch... He said he loved me and he wanted me to send him letters." Saveli's brow furrowed. "But Monty I don't want to send him letters. I think... I think I'm ready to let go and that includes of Gabriel. I can't deal with his negativity and how if I make a wrong move I'm suddenly the bad guy. But I don't want to hurt his feelings and I'm afraid to make him angry. How stupid is that that I'm afraid to make him angry. I just... need some fatherly advice."

Monty tried to keep a steady expression, which was a lot more than could be said for the beat of his heart. "OK," he said slowly, allowing Saveli to elaborate. By the time she finished, a good deal of weight had eased from his chest. It could, he felt, have been much, much worse; Gabriel had always made the professor feel uneasy, for reasons he could not completely comprehend. He didn't have to comprehend it. He trusted his gut instinct. It had a track record for being correct.

Carefully Monty nodded, his heart touched by the phrasing of her request. He hesitated, but then, since Gabriel was leaving anyway, decided to tell the truth. "Well... I think you're making a wise decision," he confessed. "I didn't like to tell you, but I've never quite been comfortable with that boy's attachment. I worried I might only further push you away if I expressed my concern, but..." Monty shook his head, deciding half way through his sentence that he could not finish it. "Anyway, I think your decision is incredibly sensible. You must understand that we can never please everybody, no matter how hard we try. Besides which, if your happiness equates to his distance, he ought to accept it. Any decent boy would."

Saveli's face held the worried expression as her father talked and she took every word to heart. Monty was wise - wasn't that part of his being a Ravenclaw? The Slytherin seemed to relax a bit more as Monty became completely open with her. His honesty reassured her and she nodded. "I thought about that. The attachment thing. I guess I never noticed till he wasn't there you know? As kids we were always together. It was such commonplace for him to hide out at my house till things with his dad got better. I just... Never thought of it. But after you and I talked and I started to let him go. Things just got weirder. I wish you'd been honest but I know I wouldn't have listened." Saveli paused. "Thank you for that. But... You think he will leave me alone if I just don't write?"

Monty prayed that he had done the right thing; but the longer Saveli spoke, the more he began to question his judgement. He couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt in encouraging the Slytherin to cease communication with her friend, who apparently had few support systems, Saveli being the only friend he had ever been able to rely on. But no - these facts did not change Gabriel's behaviour, and Monty would not reproach himself for protecting his daughter. "If he doesn't," Monty said, a touch of a smile on his lips, "you just let me know about it. OK? In the mean time, why don't you write him a letter of explanation? I'm sure you'll find a gentle way to phrase it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back