School roleplay experiences

Eadred Harrison

First year Ravenclaw
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
11¼" long, made of hawthorn, and possessed a phoenix feather core. Reasonably springy.
Hello,
I wanted to discuss something interesting (at least for me): What's your taste in the roleplay teaching and learning?

Ok. Now I can dig deeper when I got your attention with cryptographic question. So we are here in the alternative Hogwarts school, and some of you probably are roleplayed on the other fantasy or none fantasy schools (because school roleplay is still one of the popular ones hands down) in the past or still roleplays parallel to HNZ. And from there we all have some experience with actual study process roleplay.

How do you like? Passive or active roleplay? Have you ever attended to some lesson with full RP? Full RP means teacher are actually roleplaying all the thing trough asking questions and student characters are answering. Or you prefer passive roleplay (just reacting to teacher post which have full lesson material) or maybe you have experienced some other version of study process roleplay?

I'm looking forward to discuss. And if you are interested I can tell about my experience with different types of roleplay.

Ooh, this is an interesting topic!!

I'm not a professor any more, but one thing I used to bear in mind when I was is that some people have a LOT of classes to do. So they might not want to respond multiple times to one class. But other people might enjoy treating lessons more like a back-and-forth roleplay - an opportunity to develop their character a bit more, or just have fun.

A couple of professors do 'interactive lessons', or full RPs as you've called them, which is a fantastic idea and caters to both groups of people!! Personally I usually end up just posting once right at the end though, because if you post at the beginning, it becomes a requirement to post at least one more time in order to get the full grade, and I often forget about the lesson or don't have time to reply again and so I get a bad grade xD

So I experimented a bit and started doing my own thing, where I'd post all the lesson material at the beginning, but allow people to tag me if they wanted me to reply to them more than once. Which worked OK sometimes, but it had a lot of problems. For instance, if kids started behaving badly as soon as they walked through the door, and I replied as if Monty got angry with them, his attitude for the rest of the lesson would have been completely different to what I actually wrote in the first post.

I'd love to know what experiences you've had!! :D And also what lesson style other people enjoy the most. I've always wondered about it!!

As an aforementioned person with a lot of lessons to do (clearly I am procrastinating on them by being here) I have to agree with Claire. I don't have a Professor at the moment, but when I did, waaaaay back in the day, as it is now, it was a bit of both. Interactive lessons are fun when you have the time and a small group of people, but when you're catering to more than ten students I personally feel like things can get a little lost in translation and so (at least for classes) I generally prefer to have them be passive role-plays with an extra added option of some interaction, which I've used recently to help develop an aspect of a character. For the most part, I think it's down to experience and what you prefer for yourself and obviously it's difficult to cater to everyone. I think we've done really well in trying to make it accessible for all, whilst also keeping it fresh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back