Religion: What do you believe?

Ooh, I like it when topics pop up from a while ago.

My religious beliefs vary. I am an atheist-- but some days I wonder if there is someplace you go after life. Then I end up thinking some more and confuse myself.
Then again, I can't say I'm an atheist because I believe in the maori gods, true to my blood. I find myself following maori traditions without thought, like how the head is tapu (that means sacred) and some other things in maori tradition.

Nicolas King said:
I, personally, believe in a God. I don't believe in predestination per se and my belief on that side of things gets a bit complex. I believe that God knows everything that's going to happen to me. He sees the beginning, the middle and the end. But what he knows will happen to me and what he wants to happen to me are two different things to me. I think God knows how I'll disappoint him in my life, and though he knows what will happen to me he didn't plan for it to happen that way. This argument sort of helps me to understand heaven vs. hell, whereas some Calvinists and roman catholics might believe your whole life is planned for you, that it's predestined where you will end up. I simply believe that God does not plan for you to go to hell, but he knows if you will.
Note: This is a discussion, not a debate. This will not turn in to an argument. It's just a place to share your beliefs with others. :)
:o
In one year my beliefs haven't really altered. xD *self-high-five*
Except I've given more thought to the issue of predestination and who seeks whom in a relationship with God.

I don't really know what to believe. I dislike God if he exists for I do feel that he has a lot of fun screwing with people. If he does exist then he has done his best to make my life miserable this year. I try to think of the positives, and I've even tried praying for the hardships to lighten up, but he has not answered, which makes me think that he is nonexistant.

I know bad things happen to everyone, but I just feel targeted by God. I doubt he exists, but it's still nice to have someone to blame everything on.

Zavier Richards said:
I believe in the maori gods, true to my blood. I find myself following maori traditions without thought, like how the head is tapu (that means sacred) and some other things in maori tradition.
This freaky thing happened to me today. I was in a 'I really don't care' mood and went round my group dropping leaves on their heads. Don't ask.

Then I had REALLY bad luck for the rest of the day. Not even gonna elaborate there. But still, it made me realize I shouldn't play round with that stuff. Just in case.

Well, since I cracked it on "Unicorn and Potatoes". I feel like a rant here.

I'm a atheist because my logical mind is befuddled about the capacity of God's consciousness. He hears, he sees, he understands, he notices... just in about everything in the whole wide universe. And to me, that is on the border of high impossibility. Therefore I am at much more ease with scientific explanations.
Nota bene: I don't believe in science, I know its theories are the closest thing to the truth until it's superceded and discredited by other improved theories. Furthermore, I appall at the lack of understanding of the words "hypothesis" and "scientific theory" as some creationists do and their incessant quest to place religion in science, which is - to me - two very different ways of thinking.
I find the unexplained things in the world amusing but I don't attribute supernatural phenomena to it. If it happened, it can be explained in due time by logical deduction and reasoning. Attributing it to a supernatural phenomena halts the thinking process and dumbs us down, this - in my opinion - is bad. Ranting this far, I hope that some of you weren't offended by something and if it did, I apologise. I personally lives by the quote by Publius Terentius Afer: "'Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto' - I am a human being; nothing human is strange to me." To me this quote advocates tolerance to some fundamentalistic people sadly lacking it, and of course to the people in general, all because I believe that this world needs a lot more tolerance. If it did, World Peace won't be such a utopia. I also applaudes the summary Evelyn Beatrice Hall gave Voltaires ethos: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." To me that is the perfect description of what tolerance is: Not a blanket approval, but an open disapproval supported by nevertheless due respect.

Frankly speaking, I have no problems with the liberal and moderate religious people, but the flag-burning, anti-everything fundamentalists scares the - pardon the language - hell out of me and a lot of other atheists into silence. This is wrong.

If I am to believe something, I believe in the Greek versions of deities. Happy and content with whatever rout the world is taken by humans, coupled with occasional derisive laughter at us. Not to mention also laughing at their own follies.

*Breathes heavily* Rant over people. ^_^

I'm a muslim and proud to be one. :) The religion of Islam was begun early in the 7th century A.D. by a man named Muhammad. He claimed to have been visited by the angel Gabriel. During these angelic visitations, which continued for about 23 years until Muhammad's death, the angel purportedly revealed to Muhammad the words of God (called “Allah” in Arabic and by Muslims). These dictated revelations comprise the Qur'an, Islam's holy book. Islam teaches that the Qur'an is the final authority and the last revelation of Allah.

Muslims, the followers of Islam, believe the Qur'an to be the preexistent and perfect word of Allah. Further, many Muslims reject all other language versions of the Qur'an. A translation is not a valid version of the Qur'an, which only exists in Arabic. Although the Qur'an is the main holy book, the Sunnah is considered the second source of religious instruction. The Sunnah was written by Muhammad's companions about what Muhammad said, did, and approved.

The key beliefs of Islam are that Allah is the only true God and that Muhammad was Allah's prophet. By simply stating these beliefs, a person can convert to Islam. The word “Muslim” means “one who submits to Allah.” Islam purports to be the one true religion from which all other religions are derived (including Judaism and Christianity).

Strange I have not put in what I believe. xD

I believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Yet, I am really iffy about the Bible. I don't believe in laws because I live by the Grace God gives to us because of his son.
If I got my hands on the original Bible, only then would I read it and believe it to be true. I am not saying that the Bible is non-true but you would never know, right? I have an open mind, and love everyone for who they are, what they are (be-ith Wiccan, Luciferian, whatever) and I do not try to shove my beliefs upon them. ^_^ *cough* My ex-step-dad *cough* :r
So, I believe in a Hell, for ultimate punishment for sins. I believe in gifts God give out (prophets for they are among us all. A prophet told me I was one, and well, I have the Spirit's gifts, but you know, I'm still young) like empathy (I know there is a better word for it), prophetic dreams (sometimes are a pain in the rear), senses like sensing into the spirit realm or something where demons lurk, because most normal people can't see them or something. I can't see them, to be honest, but I have seen acts, and I can feel their presence as well as tell what they are. And they smell like sulfur - which is how I know a good church from a bad. :r

Anyways, I believe in all of that supernatural stuff, and even believe in witchcraft but I am not like the Momma from Waterboy, "THE DEVIL!!!!" =))
I guess I am a free loving, living by Grace and fighting a spiritual war against demons sorta Christian?
It is kind of hard to really tell what I am. =))

Violet Bellamy said:
Hmmm. This is quite a difficult one.

I'd copy and paste my Religion assignment here but no, that's too far.

I am baptised. My mum, sisters and I are Roman Catholic. This, I believe, has simply given me a massive guilt complex. ;)
All I can remember of religion classes (I went to a public primary school, we were divided in to religions for RE classes) is playing games with my best friend (lol, the one who's now engaged.). And going to high school and saying the Lord's Prayer in the olde English. ;)

What do I believe? Well, to be honest, I'm not sure. There could be a higher power up there, but I'm not convinced. Then again, I'm not convinced that there isn't.

I believe in karma, in the sense that what goes around comes around. And I know I should be nicer to people because of this, but then, I'm one of the biggest hypocrites that I know. I believe that you get what you give. Which is why my life sucks. I don't give much.

I believe in human nature, that we have the power to change our lives and destinies. We can't change our circumstances all the time (i.e. being born in to poverty in a third world country, you can't change that), but for those of us fortunate enough to be able to change our lives, the power is in our hands.

To an extent, I believe in fate. I know you're going to hate me for bringing up Doctor Who, but there is one episode ('Turn Left') in which the protagonist (Donna) is given the option to go back to one day and make the simple decision to turn right instead of turning left. This simple decision forces her to miss meeting the Doctor, and thus brings about the end of the universe.
Slightly extreme, but I agree with the idea that the choices we make can alter our lives, even choices that seem so small.

I believe I should stop typing because it's late and I'm incoherent.

Aside from this, I don't know what I believe, really. My beliefs aren't solid or anything. I just don't know.

Annnnd with that, I withdraw from this topic. :p
I am still very much the same. Nowadays, though, I just don't care. :p

My parents are suppose "Catholics" but at a young age I adopted Christianity. My son's father grandmother was my next door neighbor so she used to invite me go to church every Sunday and I loved, loved,loved going to Sunday school as a girl. So that's when I was converted to Pentcostal (SP) What they believe is in God, the son and the holy spirit. What I was taught basically anything written in the new testament. I do believe in god and I do believe in hell. But my religion is very strict, strict to the point I wouldn't be here with you all. They are more old fashion, girls with long skirt, no make up etc. Its hard to adopt to that life but it also a good feeling when you serve god and he's with you all the time. But recently I've been moving onto something were it just plain Christianity, were your not judge, you come as you want and hopes to be accepted as you are. And that's just plain Christianity or a bit of Baptism. My friend invited me to a Baptism church once and I loved it. So really I do believe in god, heaven and hell. I would say I've ready many books and witness many ups and down in my life. I'm still consider Christian, just not pentcostal (for now) but eventually I'll find a place were I fit in but I know what I believe in and nothing in the world would change me from that.

PS. Sort of strange, as I am a bit into the dark writing, but that's just the type of reader I am. Blame it on Tim Patterson :r

Catholicism is the same as "Christianity", remember :r In fact it was the original form, it was just that Henry VIII created the Church of England (the Protestants), thus splitting Christianity in to two main branches.

today's historic facts brought to you by xD

Emmanuelle Leroy said:
Catholicism is the same as "Christianity", remember :r In fact it was the original form, it was just that Henry VIII created the Church of England (the Protestants), thus splitting Christianity in to two main branches.

Actually, Roman Catholicism is not the root, or "original form" of Christianity. Roman Catholicism developed to its present state after the Eastern Schism (where you get Eastern Orthodox churches), and that also split the Roman Empire. Long before Henry. The "original church" is the Early Church of Jewish believers in Jesus and gentile converts, who still very much identified themselves as Jews who had found their Messiah. The church described in the book of Acts. It was catholic as in the word, meaning "whole or united". Which is why so mean Christian creeds say "I believe in the holy catholic church". As in - "I believe in one true, united, church of Jesus Christ" - not saying everybody believes Roman Catholics are the real church - because they're not. None of the current 'sects' are.
Luther also split before Henry, if I recall correctly (this one I could be wrong on). He is the true protestant reformer.
Henry just wanted a divorce, and all Anglicanism is is Catholicism with divorce and a King, no Pope. :r

Emmanuelle Leroy said:

It is in some ways but now that Christianity has many outlets;like Pentocostal and Baptism. I was taught its not the same anymore. I mean baptizing in Catholic is different if you went to a Pentcostal church. Converting is different, everything different. Just personal experience, I've been two 3 types of church and I see a lot difference in each and everyone of them. Maybe that's just me but that's what I was taught.

On that note;

=D I'm learning now about Muslim thanks to my friend Markiz and my old Madison Park teachers :r

I believe in God. I believe that He wants a relationship with us, and loves us all.
Nicolas said:
I believe that God knows everything that's going to happen to me. He sees the beginning, the middle and the end. But what he knows will happen to me and what he wants to happen to me are two different things to me. I think God knows how I'll disappoint him in my life, and though he knows what will happen to me he didn't plan for it to happen that way.
I agree with this too.
I believe that God does supernatural stuff in our lives. I have seen healing and miracles. I feel His presence. I know His love. I can hear His voice.
I am currently at Bible College, learning heaps about the Bible and everything. I have to say, I am learning a lot. God is awesome ♥

Nicolas King said:
I, personally, believe in a God. I don't believe in predestination per se and my belief on that side of things gets a bit complex. I believe that God knows everything that's going to happen to me. He sees the beginning, the middle and the end. But what he knows will happen to me and what he wants to happen to me are two different things to me. I think God knows how I'll disappoint him in my life, and though he knows what will happen to me he didn't plan for it to happen that way. This argument sort of helps me to understand heaven vs. hell, whereas some Calvinists and roman catholics might believe your whole life is planned for you, that it's predestined where you will end up. I simply believe that God does not plan for you to go to hell, but he knows if you will.
Nick seems to share my beliefs. I am a Roman Catholic and I too believe in god. This can bring its ups and downs at times, but so too does it brings surprises and good things. I love my religion, I'd never change.

Religion?

That's an interesting topic for me. i have not really decided on a religion, and have dubbed myself Agnostic, but for a while, i was Methodist. My family is really big on religion, they have us read the bible over night, and say the Lord's prayer and the whole nine yards. we even grace before meals. I've always thought that I didn't fit in, and for a while, I picked up on the Wicca religion. It got me in a lot of trouble though, with my parents. the said that I would go to Hell for it an such. So I dropped that very quickly.

So, for a while, i was forced back into being Methodist Christian (And don't ask me what that is, because honestly, i don't even know!), But, i still didn't feel right. You see, we had our own practice, since our church didn't work out too well. Last summer though, I started to go to youth group with a good friend of mine. I had a lot of fun there, it was a Pentecostal church. So I think that I would be Pentecostal Christian, not Methodist. But, alas, I can't choose. Mostly because a lot of things have happened in life to make me question God.

I actually had a boyfriend whose beliefs were Nihilistic. Meaning, he bleeived in nothing. He told me once that, "if God is such an all knowing and all powerful being, why can't he just tell the sinners apart from the good doers." Or something along the lines of that. And I felt bad when I got home, because I realized it made perfect sense. Is our life kind of a game to God, because the 'tests' we go through in every day life, he already knows the outcome to them. He knows what we think and feel so...

But, I digress. I am Agnostic, and I feel sort of bad for it, because i can't tell my parents. =/ Maybe it will all work out though!

Tawny Lao said:
I actually had a boyfriend whose beliefs were Nihilistic. Meaning, he bleeived in nothing.
That's not Nihilism. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
Nihilism is the belief that life (etc.) has no ultimate purpose, goal, or reason. It just is, and trying to find reasoning behind it is useless.
I think that in and of itself is quite a heavy belief system. I could never be a nihilist. I'm too hopeful for such things.

Yeah, he's kind of a downer. I don't think I could ever be Nihilistic. I'm too happy go lucky.

I believe that you choose who you want to believe! And that doesn't mean if you grew up believing the Catholic way because of your parents and it also doesn't mean you believe what other people say or influence by. At the end of the day you choose with your mind, body and soul. If your pentcostal be pentcostal if your a scientoligst, that's you. That's why you were given free will. So eventually its up to you to decide what you believe in.

Nicolas King said:
Luther also split before Henry, if I recall correctly (this one I could be wrong on). He is the true protestant reformer.
Henry just wanted a divorce, and all Anglicanism is is Catholicism with divorce and a King, no Pope. :r
I just saw this. Yes, Luther split before Henry did. Henry got the idea from Luther in a way, having seen how that all went down and how the Lutheran sect worked. The 95 Theses were nailed to the door in 1517. Henry split shortly after that.

Hilde Lindstrom said:
Nicolas King said:
I just saw this. Yes, Luther split before Henry did. Henry got the idea from Luther in a way, having seen how that all went down and how the Lutheran sect worked. The 95 Theses were nailed to the door in 1517. Henry split shortly after that.
Correct though short. xD

Well i suppose i am Wiccan to a point, i believe in gods, but different gods for different people really, but the mother god, earth, gaia, Nyx, looks over us all, and like that in the ancient times we all had a connection to the elements, but we've lost it and traded it for modern technology and buildings and stuff like that.. I suppose its really hard for me to explain but in my heart, i know it, just hard to say it... XD ^^ I be liking this discussion, its really interesting to see what people believe, its awesome.

Mine is simple. I am atheist.

My dad is very Christian and is constantly going to what he calls "holy mountains". He says they're mountains that have been charged so if you pray at the top of it then it will be able to help more people. I've been with him a few times because I like the walk up there but I never join in with any of it. There's no point if I don't believe in any of it.

My mum is Christian as well but she never shows it much. She has a bible or two but I don't think she's read them much and she never uses quotes. She had me christened when I was a baby and I have God parents.

Basically, although I've been brought up with religion all around me, I believe in science and science alone. I believe that the big bang and evolution are what created the universe not a man sitting on a cloud (no offence meant).

As for death, I believe in spirits staying on the earth but I'm not sure how I believe it. Surely if they stayed here then we'd be surrounded in them. So my question is "Do they stay for a while then move on??" I don't know about this. If all we do is rot in a hole in the ground then what's the point in us being here in the first place??

Taneaka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back