Quiet Reflection

"Would it be best if I leave, then?" Nicolas enquired, "Do you need time to think?" He wasn't sure how he could be of help to her, having not been there and never felt as she was now feeling. He was more than willing to stick around for her, but didn't want to be a waste of space either. "Is there anything else to the story?"

Cecily thought for a moment, drinking more of her tea and fortifying herself with a few biscuits. She didn't meet his eyes, rubbing the back of her neck. Should she tell him? Could she tell him? "Bearse told me....he said he'd made sure I couldn't have children. Some sort of spell or potion, I don't know which." Her heart clenched at the thought of never having her own child. Her mother had passed down to her a lovely hand woven baby blanket in a soft shade of green. She'd packed in a trunk she had, filled with keepsakes and other items she would some day pass down to her own children.

(I'll get into the part about Bearse threatening Alicia and what Cecily thinks he meant in a bit. lol. Gotta get this drama piece outta the way. dun dun dun. )

(((Oh my. Prof King wants to be mad at her already. @-) 8-} :p )))

"I'm sure he just wanted to get at you." Nicolas assured Cecily, a warm smile on his face, "Besides, you said he only cursed you once, right? If you know what the curse was you're fine." He concluded in the hopes it had been something simple and noticable.

"I'm sure you're right,"she grinned wryly. "I've never come across anything like that in my studies." She looked up at him, feeling a little better. "He said one other thing, to Alicia though. She'd asked him how it felt to have the tables turned. She was referring to when he'd brought her in years ago on auror business. He then said, you'll know soon how much they've turned. He'd planned something, I'm sure of it,"she said, sipping her tea. "Why else would he put a spy on school grounds? And why else would have have Drago, a known Death Eater, with him unless he was up to something?"

(lol! He should like flip over the table and rampage around. That'd be awesome. :lol: )

"I don't see what ill a dead man can bring about." Nicolas began with caution, "His last plan would seem to have been foiled by his death... Granted, others could carry on his work, but in the short time I knew him he seemed the type who only shared information that others needed in order to aid him." Nicolas finished taking a first sip of his tea, and then realizing he had yet to put any milk or sugar in it and did so before taking another sip.

"He knew everyone, Nicolas. I mean, everyone,"she stressed. "The things he's done in the past...it turn my stomach what that man has committed in his lifetime. I wouldn't put it past him to have put something into motion...what, I don't know." She refilled her tea, munching a biscuit. "I don't think this is something we should take lightly. I have a horrible feeling about this."

"Okay." Nicolas began in agreeance, "Then what would you recommend we do? There isn't much we can do until we know what he was up to unless you just want the school guarded." He continued, allowing his experience to speak instead of his heart as he was sure Cecily was doing. "Typically things happen over breaks, and admittedly I don't plan to be here during Christmas Break, so I won't be of much assistance if anything happens then."

"Perhaps a guard on duty wouldn't be remiss, in your absence of course,"she said, nodding. She worried that something would happen, but she had to let go of those fears. It didn't do well to live her life in fear. Her grandmother had taught her that. She needed her vacation, to rest her body and her mind. To regain that inner strength she'd once possessed, long before Bearse and his madness. She sat there for a few minutes, stirring cream and sugar into her hot tea. Thinking of her grandmother brought a slow smile to her face and a warm spot returned to her heart.
"I'll be going home as well, to visit my family for a few days." She shook her head slowly, an impish grin finally returning to her pale face. "I'll miss you, you know,"she winked, seeming more like herself.

"We'd have to get the guard idea past Alicia, you know." Nicolas began, unsure if Alicia would take offence to the suggestion. "And I'll miss human kind" Nicolas replied, thinking of his home back in England, secluded from life itself and the only resident being his house elf. He was sure the break would seem a long one to him but he also knew he needed to go back home sometime.

"True,"she replied, wondering what Alicia would think of the idea. She hoped it wouldn't be offensive to her. "Where's home for you?"she asked.

"My family's manner, it's about 5 miles south of Kendral, Great Britain, in the province of Cumbria." He explained, having a difficult time explaining it's precise location as he had always just known where it was in relation to him and how to get there. "And for you? Where's your family I suppose I should ask...?"

"London,"she said, smiling as she thought of her parents home. "At least, that's where their official home is,"she laughed softly. "They're both retired and spend most of their time on their sailboat...well, it's more of a houseboat. My father made a few adjustments last year." She dunked a biscuit into her tea before eating it, wiping her fingers on a cloth beside her elbow. "Have you ever been sailing?"she asked.

"I can't say I have." Professor King admitted. "I prefer the air to the sea." Nicolas explained with a smile, "I can see the water perfectly fine flying high above it." Nicolas wasn't sure if he did, or could, understand any body's reason for travelling by water.

"That's a shame,"Cecily grinned. "Boating is wonderful,"she said dreamily,"the water misting your face and hair, the rolling of the sea, the salt in the air. Oh it's wonderful. I can't wait to sail again. Perhaps you'd like to give it a try sometime?"she asked, grinning at him.

"Another Muggle death trap is it?" Professor King enquired, his brow raised in a sceptical manner. "I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it sometime, unless it actually is a death trap..." He finished in mock shock.

Cecily laughed, spilling her tea. She waved her wand and cleaned the mess, still chuckling. "Better than flying on magic carpets with the laws of gravity still in force,"she said primly, her eyes sparkling with humor. She refilled her tea cup from where she'd spilled it and looked at him over it.
"May I visit you?"she asked, uncertainty tinging her voice. She didn't know if he'd want to be alone or visit friends.

(I'm off to eat dinner and watch some telly. Be on later. :cool: )

Nicolas laughed to himself, he had found great irony in what he had just be asked as he had planned on inviting her to his house for at least a portion of the break if for nothing else but to see the gardens. He however had not as Cecily stated she planned on visiting her family. "Of course you may." He finally said with a nod. He then came to a realization, "Though it will be nigh impossible for you to find."

"Perhaps you could pick me up at my parents?"she giggled, the whole sentence sounding like something one of their teenaged students would say. "They're set up to the Floo network." She wondered if he would accept. She'd love for him to meet her family, as she loved them dearly and were very close with them. "We have a lovely dinner every year, I'd like for you to come,"she said with a shy smile.

"So, how would this all work then?" Professor King began, "I don't know where your parents live, and you were saying you'd be going sailing on a 'house-boat', I assume this boat doesn't have a fireplace." Nicolas continued, perplexed, "I fear I'm male and you'll have to explain this all for me step by step."

Cecily laughed. "Sorry, I meant we'd have dinner at their home, their fireplace there is connected to the fireplace in the teacher's common room. You could come there, have dinner, meet the folks and be back to your place before you'd know it."

"So, let me get this straight." Professor King began, leaning over on his arms on the table, his eye brow raised in a 'this is an odd sort of situation' fashion. "We'll go to your parents, show me off or what have you, then you just send me on my merry way? What happened to visiting me?" Nicolas enquired, "That was going to be the highlight of my week with a House elf." He finished realizing what a great name for a book that would be. and smiled in a, 'that was awesome' fashion.

"Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear,"she grinned at the 'showing off' part. "I'd be going with you, of course. With enough left overs to feed a small army I'm sure," she laughed.

Professor King nodded whilst thinking, 'Ya, you best be sorry'. When she mentioned bringing tonnes of food he blinked, but chose to leave all comments unsaid. He was still unclear on things, like when during the holidays the supper would be, or when she would be going sailing and such but he decided he would just go with the flow when the time came to. "So, it's settled?"

( =)) You best be sorry??? Sparklypoo??? =)) )

Cecily nodded, smiling. "Dinner is on Christmas eve, if that's alright." She couldn't wait to have dinner and see her parents again. Her father's cooking was on par with the fanciest of house-elfs.

"Seems fine." Professor King affirmed with a nod. "So does the break begin Christmas Eve this year or earlier?" he enquired, having yet to check any schedules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back