Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
In his BWU a couple of weeks ago, Nick alluded to a big secret change that was going to take place on HNZ. We're ready to let the cat out of the bag now, so make sure you're sitting down before you continue reading. ^_^

As a group, Death Eaters have been difficult to organize and put to good use. The group has always run on the basis that there will not be another Dark Lord and even though we have had leaders for the Death Eaters in the past, it has always been very difficult. So, after some very long discussions, we've decided that the best thing to do is to create a new group that could be more fluid and more accessible for various characters throughout the site.

This is going to require a bit of re-working of the site's history, but we hope that this change will open up many avenues for your characters' developments. The new group will be known as the Scitorari, which roughly translates to "those who seek knowledge." This group will run on the basis that no magic is bad and that the Ministry is attempting to limit power by enabling this idea that certain magic is "good" or "bad." I won't go into many details about the group here, but take some time to read Kait's Scitorari Summary and you will get a better sense of what the group does and what they stand for.

What does this mean for you?

This means that Death Eaters will cease to exist on this site, for the most part. All new applicants will become members of the Scitorari with no option to become a Death Eater.

Those who are already members of the Death Eater group will be provided with two options:

1. Remain a Death Eater: This option will be left open only to older characters who could have been Death Eaters under Voldemort and who are already marked with the Death Eater tattoo. According to JKR, the tattoo would have remained only as a scar after Voldemort's demise.[note]Source[note]
Finchburg: Does the dark mark remain on those that voldemort has branded after his death or does the tattoo dissapear now he is gone thanks for considering my question!
J.K. Rowling: My pleasure, Finchburg! The Dark Mark would fade to a scar, not dissimilar to the lightning scar on Harry's forehead.
J.K. Rowling: Like Harry's, these scars would no longer burn or hurt.
We will not be entertaining new requests to enter the Death Eater group.

It is important to note that any people who were in the Death Eater group but were made inactive [note]which takes place once your character has been inactive for three months or more[note] will not have the option of returning to the DE group. And any Death Eaters that go inactive after the change is applied also will not be able to return to the Death Eater group.

2. Become a member of the Scitorari: This option will consist of all of the other current Death Eaters. The new group currently consists of three subgroups each with its own focus[Prejudice, Potions, Mind] with the possibility for more groups to be created. To read more about the individual groups, I once again direct you to Kait's summary.

How do you choose?

We will be giving members one week to think about their characters and decide what they would like to do. If you want your character to remain a Death Eater, you will have to PM Nick or myself and explain why your character cannot fit into the Scitorari. After the week, all characters who have not submitted a PM or are not approved to remain a Death Eater will be moved into the Scitorari group.

Scitorari members will be able to decide which subgroup they'd like to join and provide that information in Scitorari headquarters. Look out for the link in the headquarters. :r

New members will be able to apply to the Scitorari by [member]Clicking Here[member].

Creating a Group

We want this group to be dynamic and for members to have the opportunity to create groups that their characters could fit into if none of the already created groups work for them or you. ^_^

If you believe that your character would not fit into one of the three groups already in existence and you can think of a new group that should exist, feel free to [member]Click Here[member] and submit an application. We are looking for groups to remain active and with several members, so if we see that activity is waning in your group, it may be disbanded.

I think that about covers everything. We hope you are as excited about the new change as we are!

~Cyndi
(on behalf of the site staff)

P.S. To read King's announcement of the new group to his Aurors, check this link here, and be sure to have your Aurors join!

I love the new group idea. I seriously do. I am sad that Eden will no longer be a Death Eater but I think that she will fit into this new group better.

Hmmmm, interesting concept. I'm going to have to see if I can keep Selwin in the Death Eater's group, however, that might not be possible for me.

This is a very interesting idea. That's one surprise Ioan kept under wraps!
The only thing about this that gets to me is that I had literally only just made a new DE signature for Adrianne a day ago <_<
Ah well.
This could be good fun :shifty:

Selwin Snape said:
I'm going to have to see if I can keep Selwin in the Death Eater's group
Remaining a "Death Eater" will usually mean a character is old enough to have been a Death Eater in Voldemort's day and has a scar dark-mark.
This change is not just an effort to have more opportunity for people when roleplaying, but also to put the site more closely back in alignment with what J.K. Rowling has since defined as canonical.

Adrianne Finch said:
The only thing about this that gets to me is that I had literally only just made a new DE signature for Adrianne a day ago <_<
If you're super nice I can make you a signature. :shifty: [note]You may not want to use it, though. xD [note]

Nicolas King said:
Selwin Snape said:
I'm going to have to see if I can keep Selwin in the Death Eater's group
Remaining a "Death Eater" will usually mean a character is old enough to have been a Death Eater in Voldemort's day and has a scar dark-mark.
This change is not just an effort to have more opportunity for people when roleplaying, but also to put the site more closely back in alignment with what J.K. Rowling has since defined as canonical.
Yes, I understand what you mean. Selwin isn't obviously old enough to retain the dark mark.

This will require a re-write of Selwin's future on my part (others as well). There goes the 6-page story I've been writing for his future so far. Darn. :unsure: Oh well, gotta start again.

This should get more interesting.

Nicolas King said:
Adrianne Finch said:
If you're super nice I can make you a signature. :shifty: You may not want to use it, though. xD
*bats lashes*
Niiiiick.. :3 I would love it, I'm sure.

So is there a pre-made symbol (I know we're using the ring instead of Dark Marks, which is a good way to evade capture, I'm sure. A bit more subtle and less permenant) that exists to, well, symbolise the Scitorari, or are we having a competition to design it? :lol: Or perhaps just not having a 'symbol' as such?
I'm probably not being very clear *le tired*
But the DE's sent the DM into the air where they made a kill. Will the Scitorari have something like that?

Selwin Snape said:
This will require a re-write of Selwin's future on my part (others as well). There goes the 6-page story I've been writing for his future so far. Darn. :unsure: Oh well, gotta start again.
That's definitely something we're aware of and, to a degree, apologetic for.
Not only have we had to rewrite or otherwise reframe a fair part of the site's history: but we're also forcing others to rewrite or reframe their character's histories and future plans. Fortunately, it's not something we're just asking you to do - plenty of the staff (myself included, oddly enough, despite having almost no characters) have also had to rework and rethink characters for this. But we think it's worth while and hope you'll all find it worthwhile, too. :)

As my blog post from a bit ago says, though, sometimes the unexpected is the most fun[note]I should mention this was a far-off idea when I wrote that post. xD [note]. :devious:

Adrianne Finch said:
So is there a pre-made symbol (I know we're using the ring instead of Dark Marks, which is a good way to evade capture, I'm sure. A bit more subtle and less permenant) that exists to, well, symbolise the Scitorari, or are we having a competition to design it? :lol: Or perhaps just not having a 'symbol' as such?
I'm probably not being very clear *le tired*
But the DE's sent the DM into the air where they made a kill. Will the Scitorari have something like that?
The topic about the Scitorari specifically defines this.
Scitorari History Topic said:
The Scitorari all have a matching ring that signifies their beliefs. The ring a dragon wrapped around in a circle swallowing its tail. When a meeting is called, the ring becomes tighter. On the inside of the ring is a coded message allowing the member to know where and when to convene for the meeting.
The symbol that the ring uses (and is on the team icons for the Scitorari) is actually an Ouroboros. (Specifically a dragon, not just a serpent, consuming its tail.)

The symbol of an Ouroboros and its historical meaning fit in very nicely with the philosophy of the new group. :)

Nicolas King said:
Selwin Snape said:
That's definitely something we're aware of and, to a degree, apologetic for.
Not only have we had to rewrite or otherwise reframe a fair part of the site's history: but we're also forcing others to rewrite or reframe their character's histories and future plans. Fortunately, it's not something we're just asking you to do - plenty of the staff (myself included, oddly enough, despite having almost no characters) have also had to rework and rethink characters for this. But we think it's worth while and hope you'll all find it worthwhile, too. :)
I certainly agree with you Nicolas. It requires changing on everyone's part, however, it will take some time getting use to. I suppose this change should bring more site ideas such as more site-wide events (and individual RPs). So it's not too bad.

Nicolas King said:
The topic about the Scitorari specifically defines this.
Scitorari History Topic said:
The Scitorari all have a matching ring that signifies their beliefs. The ring a dragon wrapped around in a circle swallowing its tail. When a meeting is called, the ring becomes tighter. On the inside of the ring is a coded message allowing the member to know where and when to convene for the meeting.
The symbol that the ring uses (and is on the team icons for the Scitorari) is actually an Ouroboros. (Specifically a dragon, not just a serpent, consuming its tail.)

The symbol of an Ouroboros and its historical meaning fit in very nicely with the philosophy of the new group. :)
Ah, thanks. I'd missed that bit :hug:

Just a question for those originally planned to become DEs.. Does the age restriction remian the same (17)?

Hayley Dalton said:
Just a question for those originally planned to become DEs.. Does the age restriction remian the same (17)?
Yes - I think it makes sense to keep joining criminal organizations restricted to characters that are the age of majority.
But the "25 before you're a full member" limit no longer exists.

just a question for the ring. if it tightens when there is a meeting how are members meant to get it off to see the information on the inside. would it be better if it got hot instead as then it could be removed and also could be noticed by people who may not be wearing it on their fingers (for example people may rather have it on a chain around their neck in which case the ring getting tighter may go un-noticed.

Professor Morgan Le Fey said:
just a question for the ring. if it tightens when there is a meeting how are members meant to get it off to see the information on the inside. would it be better if it got hot instead as then it could be removed and also could be noticed by people who may not be wearing it on their fingers (for example people may rather have it on a chain around their neck in which case the ring getting tighter may go un-noticed.
People who wear their rings in strange ways may put other charms on the ring so they'll notice it. Flashing lights. Smoke coming out of the dragon's nose[note]we discussed this when planning the group but thought it might draw too much attention[note]. Burning sensation[note]Like Dumbledore's Army coins[note]. Whatever.
I don't think it tightens so tight such that it's unremoveable. Otherwise, it constricts and returns to normal so they can get it off once they know it's got some information for them.

Either I need to get this sky a new signature, or make him ancient old so that he would bear the Dark Mark. :p

I like this idea :D

Collineus Cardosi said:
or make him ancient old so that he would bear the Dark Mark. :p
*cough*As a scar.*cough*

Question though, do I just pm about Richard's group? Or will he be automatically put into the Sicatori(spelling)?

Nicolas King said:
Collineus Cardosi said:
or make him ancient old so that he would bear the Dark Mark. :p
*cough*As a scar.*cough*
I know I know. xD
Changing his age would be easier than remaking his history, and making a new signature.

Richard Mckay said:
Question though, do I just pm about Richard's group? Or will he be automatically put into the Sicatori(spelling)?
You can wait for a week and if you haven't convinced us he'd be a hard and fast old school death eater with the scar you'd be moved automatically, or you can submit a standard group change request and say 'other' then in additional information specify the Scitorari. :)

I don't think he is old enough to be a Death Eater. I'll do a Group Change xD

Richard Mckay said:
I don't think he is old enough to be a Death Eater. I'll do a Group Change xD
You'd have to be at least 17 before 1998 to be a Death Eater with the old school scar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back