Let's Go to the Movies

To say she was disconcerted by this man was an understatement. As Prodan passed her heading up the stairs, she glanced at him, her hand touching his lightly. In her own small way she was trying to offer him comfort when all she really wanted was for his father to go away and to burrow in Prodan's strong arms. Not very politcally correct, she knew, but she didn't care. Their first date and she was determined not to see it ruined or a sour note put on it at all, not from anyone.

Once he was out of sight, she turned to study the tall man in front of her. Very clean, well dressed, proud carriage, eyes black as night. If his left forearm was unblemished she would resign from her job tomorrow and jump in the ocean. Prodan was a kind man, very handsome, obviously inherited from his father, very intelligent, again-father, but the kindness, the quick wit, the blush and shy, easy laugh. None of those things were wrought from this man. Something told her that Prodan had fought to maintain his sense of self with tooth and nail. And blood, she thought.

"Why do you do that to him?" she asked quietly, her own arms folded. He dwarfed her, could easily reach out and snap her like a twig, yet it didn't stop Cecily from questioning him. "His divorce is obviously painful for him, yet you rub it in his face. Why?" She asked the questions in an even tone; it wasn't accusing, it wasn't heated, it honestly was curiosity on her side.

Asparuh heard the questioning voice, and Asparuh faced Cecily. With silent footsteps, he approached her. His eyes bore into hers once more, and he whispered, "That is none of your concern. It is his own fault for getting involved with women that have no more use in life than maggots. I just state the facts, and make sure that no one will send him through that depression again." His voice was hushed, cold, yet alluring as well. Asparuh was unaware of the fact that his voice could easily charm people, but he used it to strike fear into others. And most of the time, it worked out quite fondly.

Continuing in his unique tone, "I just want to make sure that Aleyha and Austin have a stable father. At least, as stable as he possibly can be." Despite the fact that he was being harsh, Asparuh was acting similar to a father, but more like the role he had in the family. His main loyalties were to the Death Eaters and his family. Nothing else. Only one was obvious right now, as he made sure that his Mark was clearly hidden. Something that was more like second nature to him now rather than a burden. Kalif used a charm to hide his, and Asparuh just wore robes all the time.

Asparuh stared down at her, and he murmured, "Are you done questioning, now?"

Golden blonde curls dropped lower and lower on Cecily's back as she cranned her neck to stare up at Asparuh. Green eyes met black unflinchingly as he whispered words filled with disdain, authority and something else, something indefinable. Pure nerves made her respond. "Why Mr. Zhefarovich," she murmured, a slight smile playing on her lips, "you certainly know how to charm a lady. Maggots? Really?" She kept her voice as hushed as his, hers going into lower tones.

"Look, I get it," she conceded softly, palms held upward. If there was something she had experience in, it was in dealing with parents, grandparents, guardians of all shapes, sizes and backgrounds. She put her skill at soothing feathers to work right then, it helped to beat out the fear she had of him. For now. "You're a grandfather, a father. You're concerned." Her hands came down to rest on her hips. "But I'm not a threat to his stability. He was stable long before he met me. As for Austin and Aleyha, if anything were wrong with them, believe me, I'd know. I see them every day." Sh1t. She fought and kept the wince from her face. How to explain that one away? Damn you, Cecily, for not keeping your big mouth shut!

Asparuh did not glance away. He murmured, "I can think of nothing lower to insult that Devearux woman." The Death Eater was relieved to have that scum wiped off the map. It annoyed him how horrid women came to the Zhefarovich men. Namina, Dorothee, Tsvetanka, and Mariya. So many of the women entered the family usually had a shorter life span than the men married in. Though there were exceptions, for example, it was his mother that killed his father, not the other way around. Asparuh narrowed his eyes down at her, his amusement faded.

"You see Aleyha and Austin everyday. That makes you...either a professor at the school or the Headmistress," his expression hardened even more, becoming more menacing, deadly. She was a threat. If she worked with Kalif at the school, then if he wasn't careful, the whole plan could be exposed. However, it reverted back to its cold state, when his eyes left Cecily's and went to the stairs. Prodan was coming down, as he could hear the footsteps of his son. It takes him long enough...

Prodan tried to hurry, but he had a little trouble drying his hair. Now coming down the stairs in his black sweatpants and a black shirt, he gave a worried look to Cecily when he saw his father's expression. Though it changed when Asparuh took notice in him. Prodan wondered if Asparuh knew anything. Then it would lead to trouble. He bit his lip and released a sigh, "So, have a nice chat while I was drying my hair?" His hand ran through his wavy hair, somewhat damp still. He then folded his arms across his chest, and hoped that nothing bad would come out of this.

Cecily felt her muscles tense despite herself. This man was terrifying. A werewolf or Asparuh Zhefarovich at the end of a dark alley? Yeah, she'd take the werewolf barehanded. Anyday. Determined not to take flight like she desperately wanted to do, she opened her mouth then shut it when Prodan appeared. Giving him a half hearted smile, trying her best to appear normal, she shrugged.

She let her hands drop to her sides. "Lovely. Your father is a charming man, Prodan." About as charming as a deadly viper. Brashly she turned to Asparuh. Something, some old feeling, resurfaced and made her unsteady in its ferocity. All those years of being bullied, mis treated, abused by Bearse; talked down to by his death eater friends and their smug pure blood wives. She refused to hide who she was anymore. Why should she? What was so wrong about her and who she was?

"I was just answering your father's question. Yes, Mr. Zhefarovich, I am the Headmistress at the school. You're of course more than welcome to visit anytime if you think I am not doing my job where your grandchildren are concerned." Despite her anger toward the man, she spoke to him evenly in a respectful tone.

If they saw her hands finely shake, she wouldn't know it. If they saw her green eyes sheen with stubbornly held back tears of distress, she wouldn't know it. And if they both saw that the mere presence of Asparuh infuriated her as much as it terrified her, she hoped to Merlin that they wouldn't know it.

Asparuh rolled his eyes when she mentioned that he was charming. He hardly considered himself that. Especially when he took no interest in anyone anymore. Asparuh heard this news, and he managed to keep a straight face. The plan; nothing could go wrong now. His breathing was even, he did not move from his spot. His eyes glared down at Cecily. If only he could just take her out now, kill her and be done with it. However, Prodan could stop him if he tried. Though it did take both Prodan and Kalif to separate himself and Chavdar a few years back.

With a chilling voice, he murmured, "I do not need to set foot in your school. I have other means of watching over the family, and I'm sure my son Kalif would inform me of any mistreatment." He concluded that part of the subject. However, he continued, "After the chaos that the school has been through, I'm almost surprised that there hasn't been anything tragic that happened this year so far. I was be appalled if the school managed to lose another Headmistress." Asparuh glanced at Prodan before turning on the spot and heading toward the door. Without any warning, he disapparated back to the Zhefarovich Manor. Asparuh had done enough...for now.

Prodan released a sigh of relief when his father left. He gazed back at Cecily, and said in an apologetic tone, "I'm so sorry about him. He much prefers Durmstrang, and I love your school. Don't take anything he meant to heart. He probably hasn't slept in days..." Prodan could go on, but he faded off. He approached Cecily, and rested a gentle hand upon her shoulder. "At least my uncle is a lot better than him." Prodan wanted to lighten the situation up, but felt that Asparuh managed to do more damage than he thought.

"You are a fantastic person. I could ask for no one better to watch after a ton of students."

'I would be appalled if the school managed to lose another Headmistress.' Asparuh's smooth voice reverberated through her skull long after he'd gone and drowned out whatever Prodan was saying to her. At the touch of his hand on her shoulder, she snapped out of it and took a step forward, doing what she'd longed to do when his father showed up. She buried her face against his chest, wrapped her arms around his torso. She began to tremble from reaction.

"I'm sorry, I just need a minute," her muffled voice reached him.

'I would be appalled if the school managed to lose another Headmistress.' It was like that night, like her nightmares all over again. Pull it together, Cecily. Pull it together. Bearse is dead, he can't hurt you anymore. Don't let any of them hurt you.

Prodan wrapped his arms around her, and immediately felt the pain that Asparuh induced upon them both. Prodan cursed in his mind, He really has a gift for that… Thankfully he rarely comes around this area. But he had no right to hurt her like this, or to even say those words to me. But he could easily kill me if he wanted to. There is nothing I can do against him. It was painful to admit, and he felt utterly powerless. It was revolting, and chilling.

He affectionately stroked her back, attempting to relax her. Prodan murmured, “Take your time. Everything will be all right. I’m sorry that he had to show up here though…” Prodan faded off, his voice so hushed. Then he realized something. Only three people could get through to Asparuh. If only he could trust them, but all three being Death Eaters, there was no way Prodan could ask them.

Slowly the trembling stopped. She almost began the self recrimination but stopped. How was she to know Asparuh would go Jack the Ripper over her profession? Most people, normal people, she amended, nodded politely when told. Chuckling, the sound slightly wet from the tears that had slipped from her eyes, Cecily shook her head against his chest. Now that it was over, the man was gone, they were alone once again she felt more like herself. Reaction had set in, came in with a roar and slowly faded.

Her head fell back until green locked with silver. "Do you know," she began, her lip trembling slighty, voice husky, "out of everything that happened tonight, I never once thought I'd meet your father in my bathing suit." She began to laugh, couldn't help it. The man was terrifying, absolutely terrifying! Yet what could she do, other than fall back to her safety net; humour.

Prodan laughed wholeheartedly, "I never would of thought that either. The very last thing on my mind. If I thought someone would come here completely random, I would have guessed it would have been my little sister." Prodan smiled gently down at her, and felt a wave of exhaustion. Prodan glanced toward the living room, "Want to have a seat? I wouldn't mind just chilling now." He gave her a wink, and turned to head toward the couch. It was large enough for the both of them.

Cecily flopped on the couch beside him, playfully grabbing his arm and putting it around her shoulders, then settling in with a sigh. "As first dates go, would you say it was a good one?" She looked up at him, only noticing then how close their faces were.

Prodan settled himself comfortable on the couch as well. His other hand rested on his lap, and he answered truthfully, a huge smile on his lips, "I would have to say, it was the best one ever. I had so much fun with you! You are truly awesome." Prodan knew he sounded like a teenager there, but he could really careless.

Cecily chuckled then stifled a yawn. Everything had been fun, he was right about that. If one mentally snipped out the part where his father showed up, it would have been damn near perfect.

Grinning, she raised her head and kissed him. "I did too. You're rather awesome yourself," she sighed happily, settling to lay her head on his chest, arm crooked. hand nestled open palm on his torso.

Prodan wrapped his arms gently around Cecily, and he thought that all his energy finally came to an end. Prodan laughed sleepily, "I try to be..." His fingers intertwined together, as he kissed her back. Though he tried to contain a yawn, but it horribly came back against him. Within seconds of hiding that yawn, Prodan sank into the blankets of dreamland. Today was perfect, if one could ignore Asparuh....

Cecily breathed in the scent of him, content, safe. The steady rise and fall of his chest lulled her to follow him into sleep. She wouldn't know until she woke up the next morning that it was the first night in almost two years that she hadn't had a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back