It's Official

Sakura Gemini

OOC First Name
Lin
Wand
10 1/4" hawthorn with essence of phoenix tears
Sakura smiled at Nicolas as he held her close and together they left the stadium on a high of emotions. She knew they should go directly to her parents but she had also wanted to change her clothes. Nothing could be done about it now of course, so holding tight to the man of her dreams, the great love of her existence they apparated to her home in Clowdon. Amazingly enough as they walked the last few yards to the front door, Sakura knew that no one was at home.

This wasn't in any way strange considering that they hadn't been expected but the one time she had really wanted her family to be there, they weren't. She opened the door with her own key and holding Nicolas' hand entered the old familiar hall way to be met immediately by Mimsy. After telling them both that her parents had gone to the harbour for a stroll and that Amos was in the back garden ridding it of gnomes, the house elf told them she'd make some tea.

Turning to Nicolas she smiled, this was the perfect opportunity to freshen up after the game and she was definitely going to take it.
"I know we weren't planning on staying long but I am going to change out of my jeans and top. You look great and presentable but when I tell my family that I am going to marry you, I don't want to look like I've just been out mucking about" kissing him tenderly on his oh so perfect mouth, Sakura indicated the drawing room once again before heading to the stairs. Pausing half way she looked back at him asking him then if he would rather go to freshen up as well. He knew of course where the guest room was and the bathroom, so Sakura made sure to let him know that he was more than welcome to use them as she then took off up the stairs like a whippet.

It took her only about ten minutes to undress, wash herself and scour her wardrobe for something suitable, the dress she finally settled on was a short black number and once she had donned some ear rings and slipped her feet into rather precarious shoes; she felt ready to take on the world, her parents at any rate. As she moved down the stairs she glanced at the ring on her hand and smiled again. She was so happy she could have floated down the stairs to meet him. As she approached the door of the drawing room she heard voices though and entering it, she smiled brightly. Her grandfather Amos was already there talking with Nicolas.

"Grand-dad" she walked to where he sat, though he stood up as she approached him and enveloped her in a warm hug.

"I've just been introducing myself to your fine man here. I knew his people, great family. Wonderful. Now what brings the two of you all this way?" he grinned as if he hadn't seen the sparkling of the diamonds on her finger.

Sakura took a seat beside Nicolas and slipped her hand into his, a smile on her face as she looked at him.

Nicolas thought it quite unfortunate that the people that he and Sakura had come to visit were out as Sakura led him to the front door and let them in via her key. Mimsy quickly explained where the inhabitants of the home had gone and left to make some tea after she'd been thanked for the information. Nicolas wasn't exactly interested in tea at the moment, but he wouldn't say anything to that effect.

Listening to Sakura as she explained that she wanted to go change, Nicolas looked over her quickly - he hadn't thought her to be unpresentable at all, nor did he think she needed to be dressed in any special way to just tell her parents what had already been done. Surely getting engaged was the bigger matter than telling one's parents of it? He returned her kiss, however, and nodded as she indicated the drawing room to him, watching the woman he loved ascend the stairs before she stopped and informed him that he could freshen up as well, if he would like. Nicolas thanked her, but he didn't feel any need to do so, and so he watched as Sakura turned around again and rushed up the stairs before he turned and entered the drawing room, taking the seat he had been indicated to countless times while staying with the Gemini's over Christmas, and simply thinking what remained of this day for Sakura and himself, before thinking of what the rest of his life would now be like.

Nicolas' thoughts were interrupted as he heard a door close on the first floor of the house, and it certainly didn't sound as if it were Mimsy doing the closing. As Amos entered the room, Nicolas rose from his seat to greet him, explaining quickly who he was while he shook the man's hand and was indicated to take his seat once more. Light conversation followed, Amos indicating that he had been brought up to speed by both Chloe and Daniel on Nicolas, and Nicolas' relationship with Sakura - though he indicated that he was hearing two different spins on the tale between them, and was more apt to believe Chloe than Daniel. Nicolas was relieved by this idea, and the chatter continued - Amos mentioning that he knew some Kings that had lived in the province that Nicolas did, who'd come to some unfortunate ends. Nicolas nodded, and indicated that he was one of such people, and Amos didn't seem the least bit surprised.

Nicolas' smile grew as Sakura came in to the room once more, greeting her grandfather who embraced her warmly before enquiring what had brought them back here. Sakura moved to where Nicolas sat, and Nicolas smiled as she took his hand once more, feeling the warmth and youth of it that made him feel endlessly warmer, endlessly younger, and returning her smile, leaving all explanations to her family entirely up to her as he offered a loving squeeze to her hand and a wink.

Sakura smiled indulgently at her grandfather, he had been alot sterner when she was younger so much so that he had even extracted her from Hogwarts New Zealand when the last Triwizard Tournament had been hosted there but of late thankfully he had mellowed. She was delighted by this of course though it also meant he was getting on in years, in his dottage as her father kept putting it to his own amusement. Sakura did not like the possibility of her grandfather losing his faculties but some of the remarks both her parents were informing of late seemed to state that he was slowly going senile. The man was well into his 80's and had lived a hard and stressful life, never fully recovering from his son's death or his wives.

As Nicolas squeezed her hand gently she turned to smile at him as well, catching his wink and wanting to return it with one of her own but her grandfather hated girls doing such things as winking or whistling. Thought it was most unbecoming in a lady. Perhaps someday he would realise that Sakura was far from a lady, having been a tomboy most of her life.
"We were at the Arrows and Kestrel's exhibition game in London Pappy" she told him, reverting to her childhood name for the man as another noise from outside caused her to turn her head in the direction of the door.
"It sounds like mom and dad are home" a quick and nervous glance at Nicolas as she felt tremors in her heart. Butterflies erupting like savages in her stomach. She couldn't believe that she was nervous about telling them both but it was an excited nervous feeling, not in any way agitated or fearful. Truth be told she wished they would hurry up so she could say it at last out loud. The news was frothing on her lips to be spoken.

She had her wish soon enough as her parents entered beaming brightly and for some reason looking directly at Nicolas while quirking their eyebrows. If she hadn't known any better, Sakura would have thought they had known before she did but that was preposterous. Standing to embrace her parents in a warm greeting, she could only laugh as her grandfather told them both to hurry up and sit down, he wanted to hear all about the quidditch game.

Chloe smiled warmly at her daughter, embracing her and then turning to Nicolas with the biggest smile on her face. It had been impossible not to notice the ring on her daugthers finger but until they stated the obvious, she was not going to say a word on the matter and if Daniel who was now also greeting Nicolas with a handshake, said anything before time, she would have his guts for garters later. This was her daughters moment and Nicolas', she was thrilled to see that both were practically glowing with the news that they wanted to impart. She sat in her usual chair and frowned at her father.
"Yes yes father, I'm sure they are bursting to tell us all about the game" to play along of course she would have to comment on her daughters attire but it would hopefully lead right into the telling of the proposal.
"I certainly hope you didn't wear that to the game, did you?"

Sakura laughed and shook her head, took a deep steadying breath and held her hand up for them to see.
"Nicolas proposed ... and of course I said yes" she had turned her loving gaze to her fiance on saying the word yes, smiling like a besotted lovestruck fool at him.
Immediately they were all up from the chairs again, issuing words of congratulations to them both while Amos sat in his seat rolling his eyes wanting to hear all about the quidditch game.

Nicolas offered Sakura a reassuring smile as she looked nervously to him, the sounds of her parent's return were heard in the sitting room. He could understand her being slightly uneasy about it, no matter how happy she was, as she was still unaware that Nicolas had already spoken to her father, so his reaction was still very much a mystery for her. Nicolas nodded slightly as both Chloe and Daniel looked to him, and rose from his seat to shake Daniel's hand and accept Chloe's embrace once more.

Amos' interruption seemed odd to Nicolas, but everybody obliged him soon enough, Chloe offering a tongue-in-cheek remark that made Nicolas chuckle quietly before Chloe's next question seemed to queue all of the events to follow perfectly. Sakura, unable to hold the idea in her mind any longer, inhaled deeply, a moment that seemed to draw out the news for much too long, and then it broke. Nicolas' face brightened, the glow from Sakura being cast on to him and leaving him nothing but joyous in that moment.

Rising from his seat again, Nicolas accepted the congratulations of Sakura's parents and the process of exchanging greetings seemed to repeat itself until the moment settled once more. Daniel volunteered to find some drinks for them all, though whether it was his idea or suggested in a look from Chloe was beyond Nicolas, as the rest took their seats again and a world of questions seemed to be opened up.

She could not but be thrilled that her parents were so delighted with this, her father amazed her more than anyone. If she didn't know any better she would have said he must have had time to get used to the idea but that wasn't possible. Unable to help herself she went to her grandfather and kissed his cheek.

"I know you're happy for me" she whispered only to receive a wink from him for her efforts. She knew exactly why he was behaving like this now, Daniel was showing all signs of being in favour of the connection so he had to show otherwise. Never in a million years would he appear to be agreement with her father, it simply wouldn't do. A smile danced across her face as she returned his wink and sitting down once again, she watched her father hastily leave the room to fetch some drinks. Sakura frowned as she watched him for surely Mimsy could have gotten them, excusing herself a moment with the excuse that she would go to help him, Sakura left the drawing room and wandered down to the kitchen. It was still the same as when they had been here at Christmas time, that seemed like another lifetime away now. A slight sniff caused her to look towards the utility room, her father always such a proud strong man was standing there with his back to her.

"Dad?" she said quietly touching his shoulder gently. She got to say nothing more as he turned and enveloped her in a huge bear hug.

"I'm going to miss you pumpkin" he told her, not wanting her to see how his eyes were watering so rested his chin atop of her head.

"Daddy I am not leaving you. At least not for good. I'm getting married, that's all" she sighed embracing her father back. The man could be awfully silly sometimes, she had lived abroad now for some time but it took her getting engaged to a wonderful man to upset him.
"Aren't you happy for me Daddy?" she asked, leaning back to look at him.

Daniel instantly turned to become industrious with loading up the drinks tray with flute glasses and a bottle of champagne that he charmed to the exact required temperature before stopping all actions regarding such a superfluous task and turned again to her.
"I am very happy for you. I couldn't have picked a better man myself" they chatted some more then, Daniel attempting to lighten the moment with some tale of what Amos had gotten up to of late and both smiling they once more entered the drawing room.

Sakura took the glasses and passed them to Nicolas, her mother and Amos before rolling her eyes and calling for Mimsy. The house-elf had not expected to be let in on the family celebration but she was more than just a house elf to Sakura, she had practically been her nanny growing up, her governess when others fled and refused to return, her confidante when there was no one else for her to speak too. It was only fitting that she should be allowed to celebrate with them. Rebuking all wide eyed glances from her grandfather and father, Sakura made it quite clear that she wanted Mimsy to toast with them. Reluctantly her father summoned another glass and poured the champagne into everyone's flute.

Sakura stood alongside Nicolas then, smiling lovingly up at him as her free hand slid into his.
"To my daughter and Nicolas... I hope you have a wonderful and long life together" Daniel boomed casting a glance at Amos as he did so. Chloe and Mimsy raised their glasses and repeated 'Sakura and Nicolas' in unison while Amos coughed loudly and stood up slowly.

Sakura's hand moved from inside the warm confines of her fiancé's and slid around his waist instead as her eyes followed every movement that Amos made. Once he had stood up he took a moment to look at first the ground and then at all of them.
"This is my grand-daughter and I ... I love her dearly. She is the last Diggory in our line so I am happy that she has found herself someone who obviously loves her. I hope you make each other very happy, very happy indeed" he raised his glass and she smiled, a breath of relief parting from her as she turned and chinked her glass against Nicolas'.

But it was not to end there and as Amos sat down Chloe beamed brightly at them.
"We want to pay for the entire thing, we can be silent partners or something but you can understand I'm sure Nicolas. She's our only daughter, we'd like to foot the bill for the wedding". Sakura's mouth hung open a moment before she went to her mother and embraced her. It was touching and awfully kind, for on Sakura's salary alone she would barely be able to afford a decent wedding dress not to mind part of the wedding. But they hadn't even discussed that part yet and as if reading her mind, Chloe smiled releasing her daughter to sit down again.
"Have you any dates in mind?"

Sakura returned to Nicolas' side and resumed sitting as everyone else was doing and looked at him searchingly. Hoping that he'd answer this one at least. She wasn't particular about a date but would certainly like more time to discuss it with him.

Nicolas watched the exchange between Skura and her grandfather with a puzzled expression, unsure what words were being shared - perhaps the outcome of the game (much to Amos' relief)? He couldn't be sure. It seemed only a moment passed and Sakura had returned to his side then left again, visible having frowned before following her father out. There was something odd in the fact that a man who made a house elf distribute gifts at Christmas getting drinks on his own, so Sakura's concern seemed reasonable as Nicolas tried to leave those thoughts alone and turn his attention to Chloe and Amos.

With Daniel having left the room Amos seemed much more amiable and smiled toward Nicolas, offering his congratulations in a hushed tone so as to prevent any ears outside of the room from overhearing. Chloe apologized briefly for her husband, explaining that while Daniel might be happy for them, it still wasn't easy for him to 'lose his daughter'. Nicolas assured her she had no need to apologize, it was understandable, and that he was just happy Daniel had been able to agree at all. The conversation was interrupted with the re-entry of Sakura and Daniel to the room with the glasses and champagne.

Nicolas rose to his feet beside Sakura as she insisted Mimsy join them. This surprised Nicolas as well, but it was certainly something that he should have seen from Sakura. Mimsy was obviously more than a house elf to her, and so sharing a glass with them seemed logical. Knowing that house elves could get tipsy with butterbeer, however, Nicolas was unsure how the elf might hold champagne. He kept this ponderance to himself as toasts were offered and he smiled, the picturesque moment being interrupted as Amos rose and imparted his words of blessing. Nicolas' warm smile turned to a slight smirk as he clinked his glass to Sakura's and they drank in unison.

Sitting down again, Nicolas listened as Chloe rattled off her desire to pay for the wedding. It was thoughtful, to be sure, and Nicolas understood it to be expected in many muggle circles, but it was entirely unnecessary. As Chloe continued to explain how deeply they desired to take care of it, Nicolas smiled his thanks to her, finding no need to deny them this satisfaction. The next question took Nicolas by surprised for a moment as Sakura took her seat beside him once more. Hadn't it been only hours ago that they engagement had been made and only minutes since it had been announced? How could dates have been decided at all? Seeing Sakura's searching gaze, Nicolas realized that she wanted him to answer and he smiled again, shaking his head. "No, dates, among other things, are topics Sakura and myself will have to discuss soon enough, but have had no opportunities for yet." Nicolas himself was quite impartial when it came to dates, it was the who and not the when that had concerned him - and now that that was settled the rest of marriage seemed so unimportant.

Toasts were said and glasses clinked, sips from flutes taken while Mimsy carefully emptied hers into a nearby plant pot though she was honestly delighted for the couple, she knew better than to part-take of any alcohol. The last time had been on her 60th birthday and she promised herself after that small iddy biddy glass of elf wine that she would never again touch the stuff. Her head had not been right for days after.

Sakura was delighted when Nicolas took the reigns, she eyed her mother specutively. Why on earth would the woman think that they would have a date set already when Nicolas had only proposed to her earlier on that day? Something didn't quite fit but she wasn't about to question it now. She was much too happy. Unable to help herself smiling up at him as he spoke, Sakura could not stifle the yawn fast enough. Operating on pure adrenaline, she had been up since the crack of dawn all hyper about going to the game. Unable to sleep much the night before from sheer nervous excitement. Her mother of course spotted this and grinned.

"You didn't get much sleep last night did you?" as innocent as the remark was because mother knew daughter extremely well, both father and grandfather instantly threw glaring looks at Nicolas King as a result of it. Sakura was oblivious of course as she smiled at Chloe and shook her head slightly.

"Oh mom, you know me. Always before I see a big game ..." she turned to look at Nicolas, "it's like Christmas all over again. I can't get a wink of sleep no matter how early or late I head to bed at and then I'm up about 5am ... just incase".

An audible sigh escaped the male family members who relaxed back into their seats to confused looks from the women. Sakura turned the conversation masterfully to the game they had attended much to her grandfathers delight and the next two hours that passed were full of every detail, of course how Nicolas had actually proposed had wormed its way in there as well much to her mothers delight. But soon enough Sakura felt herself waning and knew she would begin to yawn uncontrollably from this point forward. It had been such a long day.

Turning to Nicolas she placed a hand tenderly on his.
"I think we should start leaving now"

It was only typical that the suggestion to stay was offered and too tired to argue with her parents, Sakura looked to the man who would be her husband to once more rescue her from the scenario.

Nicolas caught the cold stares from both Amos and Daniel, and, unable to defend himself from such silent accusations simply held in a chuckle and allowed Sakura her explanation to her mother, which eased the suspicions of both her father and grandfather, much to the confusion of both Sakura and Chloe. 'Perhaps I'll fill her in later,' Nicolas mused to himself before details of the game were being shared, everybody getting exactly what they wanted, and a little more, from Sakura's telling of the story which Nicolas left, for the most part, uninterrupted.

As the story drew to a close it was evident that Sakura was almost entirely wiped out. Feeling her tender touch on his hand Nicolas turned to look at her and with a nod at her statement rose, helping her up beside him and holding her hand softly within his own. At the offer to stay Nicolas smiled, thanking Sakura's parents but insisting that they should leave, others had to be told of their engagement and whatever else came to mind for him as a reasonable excuse not to stay. He didn't mention, of course, their plans to visit his childhood home for fear of risking the same deadly glances that he had been offered at the simple thought that Sakura "hadn't gotten much sleep". Surely visiting Nicolas' house would give rise to even worse than glances.

With reluctance, Sakura's family bid the couple farewell with the usual handshakes and embraces before Nicolas and Sakura made it out of the front door, then through the creaking gate. Nicolas smiled down at Sakura, "Ready?" he enquired, wrapping his arms about her and drawing her near to him then apparating them to just outside of his home as soon as she indicated that she was.

Nicolas released Sakura from his embrace and took her hand in his once more as they stood outside the iron gates to the manor, Levens Hall. In the centre of each gate, the image of a griffin was worked in to the iron and Nicolas drew his wand, muttering some charm or other which caused the gates to creak open for them. He'd decided that apparating in to the manor itself would deprive Sakura of much, and perhaps shock Verney half to death. Verney lived at the manor year round, keeping its grounds clean while Nicolas was in New Zealand. Verney had been told that a visit was possible, but not yet told of Sakura, Nicolas' engagement, or much else for that matter. The chance to write always escaped Nicolas.

Walking up the path to the home with Sakura, Nicolas smiled as they reached the front door. It'd been some time since he'd come home, and now he was entering it with his future wife, his intended, at his side. he knew the manner wasn't nearly as homey as Sakura's childhood residence, but he hoped that she might be able to come to like it and, eventually, call it home as well. Opening the door to the front foyer Nicolas allowed Sakura to enter before him, then followed her in shutting the door behind her. He took off his cloak and hung it on a hook on the wall before assisting Sakura with hers, allowing her to look about herself as the loud crack! of a house elf resounded through the high-ceilinged foyer and Verney stood before them, looking most puzzled up toward Nicolas a moment before bowing his greeting to them.

She loved him so very much and his handling of their leaving her parents and grandfather was another testament to how absolutely wonderful he was. They embraced and said their goodbyes to her family and when finally outside of the good old creaking nightmare of a gate, she wrapped her arms about him. Never needing an excuse but always enjoying the contact. Side-along apparation had never been her choice of travel but with Nicolas it was so much more than that. She felt protected and secure in his arms and could feel and hear his heartbeat as she rested her head against his chest while they travelled through portals.

When they arrived it was to stand outside enormous gates intricately detailed and extremely foreboding in her view. Yet on closer inspection she noted the griffins woven into the iron and marvelled at the craftsmanship. She looked about her attempting to garner where they were in relation to his home until he removed his wand and magically opened the huge gates. Sakura looked stunned for a moment watching them open slowly onto the most enchanting landscaped garden. With each step they took to bring them closer to the mansion that seemed to lie in the center of the sculpted masterpiece of flora and fawna, Sakura felt more and more out of her depth. Not once in all the time they had been dating did she consider Leven's to be this extravagant nor had she considered Nicolas to be from an opulent family.

The colours that greeted her at every turn from the gardens was breathtaking, the scents alluring and the design of bush and shrub enchanting. By the time they had reached the front door she felt almost dizzy from the spectacle she had just witnessed and wished fervently that he would have warned her as to what to expect. She felt in awe, felt completely humbled and utterly small as they made their way inside. It was all so beautiful, so perfect and she could not imagine why he had left it all to go half way around the world and leave it behind. Turning around she allowed Nicolas to remove her cloak for her still speechless, everything about her was breathtaking. She could actually picture him growing up here and smiled attempting to visualise the serious man she loved as a child but in vain. A loud crack caused her to jump, her hand clutched her chest to calm her racing heart as she smiled at the house elf that had appeared.

The hallway, indeed the entire house sounded so deathly quiet that the arrival of the elf had been almost deafening.
Sakura felt even more exhausted now, the entire day's chaos and now the fact that Nicolas's home was practically quadruple the size of her own family home. She attempted to get her head around it all, it's size, it's beauty and decided at last that it would all have to wait until morning. Exhaustion was overtaking her slowly and she badly needed to rest. After greeting the house elf with a smile she looked to Nicolas, feeling out of her depth and most certainly a stranger in this colosseum.

Nicolas realized how little Sakura knew of his family, childhood home, and mostly inherited wealth with her reactions to every little thing. Her complete wonder, awe, and amazement, and he realized that he had, perhaps, given the impression that being an Auror was indeed how he made his living, and not something he simply felt compelled to do - that he was as most, living life on their salaries with little to lean back on. No, Nicolas was nearly the opposite of all that, though he didn't flaunt his money nor did he enjoy spending much of it. His salary as Head of the Auror department alone would be enough for him and any family he might have, though life was much more comfortable with the state of his affairs as they were.

It was likely Sakura's ignorance of these facts, he determined, that had caused her to be so overwhelming relieved and delighted with her parent's offer to pay for their wedding, thinking that that would have been something they would have had to worry about otherwise. He felt poorly, for a moment, feeling as if he had kept Sakura in the dark of some major point, but in the grand scheme of things he knew how very little it mattered, and in time how little she would care - though then it would seem overwhelming to her.

Nicolas greeted Verney with a smile, calling him by name for Sakura's knowledge and making a mental note to himself to explain circumstance to Verney later in the evening. It seemed that Sakura was much too tired for a full recounting to a house elf she didn't know, or anything else for that matter. As Sakura looked to him, Nicolas smiled and nodded, taking his fiancée's hand and leading her away slowly, up the staircase. "Tours and introductions tomorrow." He started as they reached the top of the staircase. He motioned to the double doors directly in front of them, "Should you need anything this evening you can call for Verney, or this is where I'll be sleeping." He continued, looking down both directions of the hall before determining which way he would go. Leading Sakura right he opened the first door on the opposite side of the hall from the master suite.

This room was decently sized, larger than the guest room in Sakura's home, and Nicolas showed her in, not sure what to say at all. "I trust you'll find anything you might need here." He settled on, not feeling the need to explain what a bed was or what the other things about the room were. The room was simple compared to most in Nicolas' house, but still quite nice. It had a larger slender window in the far wall looking out over the front gardens, a canopy bed against one wall and a wardrobe opposite it. The wardrobe was enchanted to supply a large variety of wizarding clothing based on the tastes of the opener. It failed, of course, when asked to find muggle clothing. It usually came out with some tropical-flowered t-shirt and yellow bell-bottom jeans, whatever could look most atrocious together - but wizarding clothing, it did well. There was an ottoman at the foot of the bed, and a comfortable looking chair in a corner by the window. Another door in the room, on the wall with the wardrobe, was ajar and led to the guest washroom. Nicolas made note of this quickly for Sakura as well. "I hope you have a goodnight," He offered with a smile, drawing Sakura in to him and kissing her softly before releasing her and turning to leave the room.

Sakura smiled kindly at the house elf whose name she attempted to store in her weary mind but she knew that come the morrow, she would no doubt be asking Nicolas it all over again. Utterly grateful that he all tours of the house and gardens could be foregone till the following day, Sakura smiled brightly at him as he took her hand and led her up the large staircase and directed her to where she would be sleeping. She did wonder briefly if they would share a room but this was nothing like her pokey flat. Her own meagre lodgings seemed like something that could be squashed into the utility room of this house alone.

He indicated where his own bedchamber was before opening the door to the guest room and at first she felt almost afraid to enter. It was huge, so much bigger than even the master room at her family home. It took every ounce of etiquette she had ever learnt not to stand there with her mouth gaping open but she did manage it. Following him inside she paid rapt attention as he outlined where the bathroom was for her and then kissing her goodnight he left her.

She stood mute for a moment turning in slow circles encompassing every oriface of the room as she did so. Stopping just before the enormous four poster bed, she gulped loudly. She sat in the chair that stood near the large window and continued to survey her surroundings from there. After a moment though she knew she was too tired to continue this pass-time and stood to organise herself for bed. Entering the bathroom she freshened herself up, a long hot soak in the glorious copper bath tub. Soon dried and with a large towelling robe wrapped around her, Sakura realised that she could not very well sleep in her evening dress and she had brought nothing with her from home. It did not dawn on her to go snooping in the wardrobe, it wasn't her home!

Nicolas had said to call either himself or Verney, so on bare feet she opened the door to her room slowly and crept out into the hallway just as the very house elf walked by. A beaming smile met him as well as an audible sigh of relief.
"I was looking for something suitable to wear to bed" she told him noticing then the neatly folded shirts in his hands and smiled even more brightly, "Are these belonging to Nicolas?" Just at his affirmation of this she excused her following actions and told him that his master would not mind if she were to borrow one. Not once giving the house elf a chance to explain about the enchantment on the wardrobe inside her room. She stopped short of kissing the top of his head no matter how tempting it was to do and taking the shirt, thanked him and raced back into her room.

Wearing now the oversized shirt, Sakura lit the candles near the bedside and climbed in carefully. The bed was extremely high and she felt for an instant like the princess from the muggle story of 'The princess and the pea'. Closing her eyes she thought sleep would take her instantly but no such luck. Sitting up again she blew out the candles and attempted another try but now the room was completely black and felt so strange and spacious she was certain that if she sighed it would echo somewhere about the room. Spending nearly another thirty minutes tossing and turning and then another thirty staring upwards making bizarre shapes in the dark, Sakura knew she had to go to sleep or she would be like a demon tomorrow. Already running on virtually no sleep at all, she slid out of her bed and lighting her wand padded on bare feet from her room back into the hall way.

It took her no time at all to reach Nicolas' door, tapping on it lightly she waited for some answer but when none came she opened the door gently and guided by the light from her wand she entered yet another more elaborate and spacious room. This time however she did not give herself over to it's decor but made her way to the bed and smiled when she saw the sleeping figure of Nicolas there. A gentle sigh escaped her as she carefully pulled back the covers, unlit her wand before placing it on the bedside table and climbed into her fiance's bed. She moved close to him, snuggling into the warmth he afforded and hoped her own body and feet were not too cold from padding across the cold floors. But she did not ponder on anything for very long, as feeling perfectly content now, feeling secure and relaxed. Safe beside the man she loved, Sakura was finally able to sleep.

Nicolas sighed as he left the room Sakura was staying in. It had been a long day, and despite its significance and how he had spent nearly the whole time with Sakura, it seemed that they had spent so very little time together in it. He'd hoped she wouldn't be too terribly exhausted by the time the reached Levens, but she had been, the experience and excitement of all of the day's events surely wiping her. With this, Nicolas had abandoned all hopes he had had for the evening to allow her sleep.

He moved toward the master bedroom and slipped off his shoes, then took off the robes he had worn through the day and changed in to some pyjamas before moving from the bedroom to the study attached to it. He sat down in the chair that his father had sat in so many nights and looked across the shelves of books lining the walls, then at the desk in front of him which was still left in the disarray it had always been in, ever since he was a boy. This room was one Verney didn't clean, had been instructed never to, and it seemed as if the room had been mostly untouched by time itself, completely still in Nicolas' absence. Granted, there had been times Nicolas had come in the room since his parent's deaths, sitting at the desk to reminisce, visiting the study and taking a few books back to New Zealand with him which he knew could be useful in his job, but he'd never done much else with it. Never dared to imagine it. Now as he looked over the room and thought of the day's events he determined that it was time to move on in many respects. If he wanted Sakura to call this place home in time, then he surely had to release it from being his parent's home in his mind. This study couldn't be his father's anymore, he needed to allow time to continue its eternal march, to surrender the room to its steady rhythm and natural course. With another breathe and final glance to various points in his father's study, Nicolas called Verney to the room.

A crack! resounded and Verney stood before Nicolas, bowed so that his ears nearly touched his toes, then enquired what it was his master needed. Nicolas summoned a small stool beside the desk and asked Verney to sit. Verney looked even more stunned with this gesture than he had with the arrival of Nicolas and Sakura, but obliged nevertheless. Nicolas began with an apology for showing up without much notice, but Verney wouldn't hear that - it was Nicolas' house after all, and Verney was happy whenever he showed up, though the addition of a guest remained a surprise. With that out of the way Nicolas sighed, the rest of the conversation would surely be difficult to articulate. "The woman I brought with me today is Sakura, and we're engaged to be married... as of today. You're the fifth being and second house elf to hear - we had to tell her family first." Nicolas explained. Verney nodded, taking his master's words mostly as a notice that this woman was now his mistress and to be treated as such. "It's because of that, Verney, that I would like you to clean up the study for me. Set aside anything of my dad's that you know are worth saving, keep the books and everything, but the desk can be cleaned up now." It was difficult for Nicolas to say, and difficult for Verney to understand the reasoning, but Verney nodded in compliance, rising from the stool, knowing that was all Nicolas had to say to him.

Taking a few paces away, Verney turned around and spoke, "I'm happy for you, Master." He began, taking a step back in and sharing the incident with Sakura only moments earlier, her taking one of Nicolas' shirts that Verney was putting away. "She didn't bother to check the wardrobe?" Nicolas enquired, finding it odd that Verney wouldn't have told Sakura about the wardrobe instead of letting her be stuck in one of Nicolas' shirts. Verney shrugged and, with another crack, was gone again.

Nicolas rose from the study chair and took one final look about the room as it was, a piece of time he had finally resolved to give up to the whirling wind that seemed so very eager to move his life from what it had been for so many years to what it could be, and would be, with Sakura. With a sigh he left the study, shutting its door tightly behind him, drawing the curtains of the master bedroom shut before he climbed in to the bed and sleep took him as instantaneously as it could, muscles needed to relax, thoughts needed to depart, and dreams needed to be dreamt.

It wasn't long before Nicolas stirred in his sleep. Slight sounds and small lights had slipped in to his mind from the corporeal world about him and then movement on the bed he slept on caused his weary eyes to open slightly, unsure of what to expect, but seeing and feeling Sakura's form find rest in his own he inwardly smiled, joy bubbling up within him and not breaking the moment for the world, he exhaled, wrapping his arms about the woman and falling back to his sleep as she found her own rest.

Morning came and this time it was Nicolas who woke before Sakura. It seemed that, as it was neither Christmas nor boxing day, Sakura had no real reason to rise early, and surely the events of the previous day had worn her enough to have her sleep longer than usual. Nicolas smiled, glad that Sakura was indeed in his arms and that hadn't been just a dream, but also wondering if the room had somehow been dissatisfying. He noted the shirt she wore, as Verney had told him, and chuckled again to himself that she hadn't even bothered to look in the wardrobe. Admiring her profile a few more short moments, Nicolas leaned over and kissed Sakura's cheek. "Plenty to do today, my love,"

Sakura slept better than she had in a long time, she woke once but only briefly to turn slightly only to find Nicolas' arms about her. She had instantly snuggled closer to him and sleep had taken her once again. The steady rise and fall of his chest had eased her throughout the night and when morning dawned she discovered on waking slowly that she had moved slightly away from him at some point.

Her long brown hair was spread across the pillow in waves of softness, her honey toned skin gleaming in the gentle light afforded from the chinks of light entering from the gaps in the curtains. She heard his voice and sighed softly, not wanting to wake up just yet or to get up for that matter. The bed was too comfortable, being beside Nicolas was too surreal. His lips on her cheek caused her to smile and move back into the safety of his arms. Her own wrapped around him as her head came to rest above his heart.

"It can't be time to get up yet" she whispered, her voice still thick with sleep, "What could there possibly be to do today?" she asked opening her eyes slightly but closing them just as quickly.
Another sigh escaped her as her feet found his in the bed and curled in beside them. This felt so heavenly being this close to him. Once they were married they would be every night together like this; the thought made her smile appreciatively as she tilted her face back to look at him.

"I love you" she sighed dreamily leaning up enough to kiss his chin before snuggling down once more on to the pillow so she could now look at him. Her eyes drank in his handsome face, his tousled hair and she knew she was the luckiest woman in the world. With one hand resting beneath her cheek, her free one reached across to gently touch his face. Her palm rested against his cheek as she smiled at him.

Sakura's beauty never ceased to amaze Nicolas, and in the morning light as she slept beside him, wearing his shirt and with the promise of a life yet to come on her finger, it seemed that her beauty had magnified itself a thousand times over for the occasion. Nicolas' smile remained on his face as Sakura drew herself nearer to him, wrapping her arms around him and placing her head to rest on his chest. He was sure that his heart had skipped a beat with these gentle, loving, actions. He felt absolutely wonderful, as if nothing in the world could break the moment, as if nothing should even dare, as if whatever he'd thought needed doing through the day had been absolutely ludicrous of him to desire to do.

"The sun would disagree with you," Nicolas began, unable to tear his eyes from the woman who found her solace in him and who he now couldn't imagine a life without. "Everything we didn't do last night, and a little bit more." Nicolas teased, catching Sakura's entrancing eyes as they fluttered open a moment before being shut tight once more, as if trying to force the reality of the sun and dawn from them, to cling to what little sleep might be left for Sakura's mind, and every comfort that she felt by Nicolas' side. Nicolas felt Sakura's feet curl in to his and wondered for a moment if Sakura had any intention of getting up at all, or whether she would just reposition herself to be more comfortable beside him and then fall back to sleep again.

Sakura's words and her gentle kiss made Nicolas' face glow, though he felt distanced from her as she rested her head again on the pillow as opposed to him. He turned to his side and stared in to her eyes, taking in everything there was to take in of her and knowing that she was doing the same of him. It was a mystery how fate had taken two entirely different people and through its own devices shoved them together in such a way that left them both feeling so fortunate, so perfectly completed.

As Sakura's hand rested on his face Nicolas closed his eyes a moment, enjoying her soft touch, before taking her hand in his own, stroking his thumb over it lovingly and moving it from him. "I love you, too, Sakura." Nicolas stated, still holding on to her hand as he leaned forward and kissed her nose softly. "But that doesn't change that I'm getting up and you're coming with me." He finished with a smirk, releasing Sakura's hand and without further hesitation swinging his legs from the bed on to the floor and moving to his wardrobe. "Verney told me about last night. I suppose I should have told you that the wardrobe in your chambers is enchanted. You should be able to find something for the day in that." He spoke, looking back to Sakura.

Sakura groaned as he left the bed but smiled as he did so, unable to help herself from staring at him. She knew he thought she was beautiful but the man himself was literally breathtaking. His words raced about in her head and if he hadn't gotten out of the bed himself, she might have thought that the 'everything we didn't do last night' might have referred to activities best orchestrated between the sheets. The thought caused her to blush somewhat, a slight girlish grin spread across her face at the thought of this man, her man making blissful love to her. He had spoken again to her but she could only quirk her eyebrows at him, so rapt up in her contemplation that she had missed what he had said.

Slowly she sat up, her long hair tumbling over her shoulder as she swivelled herself out of the bed on the same side as Nicolas had. Her long slender legs visible beneath the shirt she wore. Her arms found their way around his shoulders easy enough as she stood on tiptoe and kissed him tenderly.
"A wardrobe? enchanted... no one said anything" she smiled, "and I don't go snooping while in other peoples homes"

She could feel the heat of his body through the light material of his pyjama's and the mansized shirt she wore and took a step back as heat suffused her cheeks once more. He was too tempting by far and the chaos that raced through her whenever they were together seemed always more intense first thing in the morning. It had been that way at her parents house and now she could feel it distinctly again.
"I best go and get dressed then" another smile as she looked at him, pushing her hair behind her ears and softly padding across the floor to the otherside of the large bed to retrieve her wand. Holding it up she grinned again.
"I don't have night time vision" as way of explanation before walking to the door, she stopped there hand poised on the handle as she turned to look at him, "You didn't ... mind me coming in last night? It's just that ... I can't usually sleep in a strange bed or a strange house but I could once I was beside you."

Nicolas looked quizzically at Sakura with her groan as her fas flushed and she grinned girlishly. Recounting his actions, nothing he had done could have caused the grin, and so his confusion continued as Sakura slowly made he way from the bed and he could see her well toned legs, at which time all thought was lost from him. Sakura approached him and kissed him tenderly, a kiss which he returned with a muffled passion, trying only to match Sakura's tenderness but succeeding at so much more.

As Sakura broke from the kiss Nicolas smiled, listening to her explanation he chuckled slightly until she rationalized why she hadn't checked the wardrobe. There were a few things that struck him in the moment, first he felt it was obvious that anything in a guest room that a guest is placed in would be the guest's to use, unless specified otherwise. The second thought, however, was the one he vocalized for her. "Sakura, I'd like it if you could treat this place as you would your home, which I hope it will become for us in time." They were engaged, after all, and Sakura's flat wouldn't do for anything, nor could Nicolas imagine himself trying to find another home outside of this one.

The moment seemed to intensify as Sakura's body remained pressed to Nicolas' and they could feel the energy flowing between them. Nicolas saw Sakura's cheeks flushed again and realized what it had been earlier, the same feeling he had when he'd admired her form exiting the bed. He longed for her as much as she did him, but with the glares from her family in the previous night, along with the experience at the Leaky Cauldron after their falling out at the Ministry, Nicolas had restrained himself, wanting to preserve Sakura's very innocence until their fates were intertwined forever in each other's lives, until their devotion to each other was as known and permanent as magic itself. It seemed a little ridiculous to him, in that moment, but it seemed to make sense as well, and the decision had already been made when he'd snuffed Sakura's gesture in her vulnerability at the Leaky. Now it just seemed natural to make their connection all the more special.

Nicolas nodded as Sakura moved from him again, though looking puzzled as she moved in the wrong direction. He smiled as she grabbed her wand and explained its presence before turning his attention back to his wardrobe. His attention was drawn to Sakura once more as she stopped at the door and spoke, her words touched him - as simple as they were they said a lot of just how strong her love for him was, that she felt such comfort at his side. "No," Nicolas began. How could he possibly mind? No rational man in the world could mind Sakura desiring to sleep beside him, much less a man like Nicolas, who was totally in love with her. "Not at all."

As she stood at the door she could only smile at him, his words ... all of them did more than reassure her and with a playful wink she left to return to her own room. Closing the door behind her she found her way back and within moments she was opening the wardrobe and looking inside it at the array of clothing all in her size and even style. She smiled again and choosing a few pieces and placed them on the bed while she went to freshen up. As she did so her eyes fell to the ring on her finger and she could not help but smile. This was the start of the very first day, official day of being engaged to Nicolas. It shouldn't feel any different but it did and as she glanced at her reflection in the mirror she wondered at the young woman before her.

Her face was positively radiant and she mused that love, his love so obviously suited her. Returning to the bedroom she donned the clothes she had laid out and in no time at all was back in the hall way pulling a band through her hair and piling it atop her head in a rough pony tail. Wisps escaped about her face of course but this only softened her features. She was about to knock on his door when his words came to her once more and instead she opened it and walked in. Realising that even in her own home she would knock before entering someone's own private chambers. Blushing she backed out again, closing the door behind her and knocking on it reopened it before entering.

She couldn't help but grin at him.
"I got muddled between attempting to see this place as my home and normal etiquette" she told him. Walking towards the window she looked out upon the grounds below, marveling at the beauty and splendor of the place.
"Your home is very beautiful Nicolas" turning to look at him she just managed to stop herself from adding that she thought he was as well. Instead she turned the conversation around to what they would be doing today.
"So what did my fiancé have in mind for today's schedule?"

Nicolas changed quickly from his pyjamas in to a comfortable set of robes for the spring day ahead of him with Sakura. Calling Verney in to the room, Nicolas asked if breakfast was prepared, and Verney informed his master that it would be as soon as they were. Thanking the house elf before dismissing him, Nicolas sighed, moving toward the window looking over the back gardens and drawing the curtains open, smiling at how the sun entered in to the room and seemed to bring life to everything it touched, wondering how Sakura was making out, if she'd find decent clothing in the wardrobe or if she'd ask it for something muggle and find it to be a horrible failure. He could picture her, entering the room again entirely distraught, wearing the most absurd muggle clothing that the wardrobe could possibly conjure.

Nicolas turned as Sakura first reentered the room and, fortunately, she wore no such clothing. However, instead of proceeding in she stopped in her tracks, closing the door as she left the room again. Slightly concerned, Nicolas looked in puzzlement back at the door and started to move toward it. There was a small knock on the door, then Sakura reentered the room, excusing herself and explaining. Nicolas chuckled, having not been bothered by her at all. In time the room would be theirs, but he supposed for the time being that knocking was reasonable enough, though not doing so was no reason to leave the room again.

Nicolas watched sakura's sender form as she walked past him to the window he had drawn open, admiring the grounds below, and he smiled as she turned back to him. He was glad that she could appreciate his home. He did acknowledge its many shortcomings in comparison to the home Sakura's parents lived in, but it was his home nevertheless and with that sentiment came a significant piece of pride. On mention of the day Nicolas smiled, drawing closed to Sakura as he prepared to speak.

"Well, your fiancée was thinking breakfast. Then, perhaps, a tour of the house - and I'm sure Verney would be more than anxious to show you the gardens if you'd oblige him, or be interested in that at all," Nicolas began, recollecting how eager Verney seemed to be at the chance to show off what were now essentially his gardens. They were a point of pride for the family, had been for generations, but they were one aspect of the grounds that Nicolas didn't take much personal interest in. He thought they looked splendid, but despite his O in NEWT Herbology, plants were not something he enjoyed working with. "After that, the day is free for whatever you'd like. There are plenty of things we need to talk about now, decisions needing making, but we can put that all off as long as you like. There's a quaint village by here, Muggle place, but nice."

Just as he mentioned breakfast she could hear the rumblings of her stomach, reminding her that she had missed any chance at a dinner the day before as exhaustion and excitement had overwhelmed her. Her hands covered her stomach now as if in some attempt to blot out the sound.

"Breakfast sounds perfect Nicolas" she smiled at him walking back to where he stood. The thought of seeing the gardens appealed greatly to her, it was one of the shortcomings about her flat, it was much too small for any garden and though she could have charmed something up, it would not have been the same. As she had passed through the day before, there had been many plant species she would have enquired about all extremely useful in various potions and when it was revealed to her that Verney was the one in charge of the garden, she could only smile. It would do her good then to get on his good side and perhaps make up for her behaviour in the hallway the night before.
"I would love to see the gardens, he won't mind at all?" she certainly didn't want to be a nuisance either and was sure the house elf had enough to be doing in a house this large with gardens as vast as they were. She could only stare at him in absolutely wonder, her mouth opening in a surprised smile.

"Seriously... the day then is free? I was awoken from the most glorious of sleeps, made to rise from the most comfortable of beds from the warmth of my man... to have pretty much the entire day ahead of us empty. You Nicolas King owe your woman some extreme 'tlc' after this. That is a very traumatic experience for a woman" she smirked moving closer to him and placing her arms about his neck, "that is 'tender'" she kissed him tenderly, "loving" another kiss with equal gentleness was bestowed, "care" and then her lips kissed his longingly. Letting him know that he could wake her at any time, arrange their day any way at all and she would not mind providing she was there with him throughout it. Slowly and with great reluctance she broke apart from the kiss, her eyes focused for a moment on those perfect lips before gazing into his eyes.
"Did I tell you yet today that I love you?"

"Mind?" Nicolas chuckled with Sakura's question. Would the pope mind converting somebody to catholicism seemed an equal question in the moment. The truth was that Verney lived for those gardens when Nicolas wasn't by, there was little else for him to do, and it was something that Nicolas' grandparents had often done with him, taught him more or less. "No, Verney would jump at the first chance to give somebody a tour who wouldn't roll their eyes with every step." Nicolas admitted, having heard so much of the gardens that now it just seemed mundane and tedious to go on walks through them when Verney wasn't doing something else.

Nicolas listened to Sakura's words, thinking to interrupt her. He hadn't said the day was to be empty by any means. There was plenty they could, and would, be doing - but what exactly they decided to do and how they did it was something he wanted Sakura to be a part of. He was quite sure her family, for instance, wanted ideas for wedding dates as soon as they could be mustered, especially considering that the question had come up last night, the same night as their engagement. All thoughts of this were abandoned as Sakura came up with some queer acronym for what she felt he owed her, though her mock annoyance was very easy to see through as she drew close to him. Nicolas smiled, wrapping his arms around Sakura and returning each of her kisses in the appropriate fashion, making mental note of the acronym which, in all honesty, made very little sense as something he should owe her. Wasn't that something he had signed on for with her? Something they both desired to give each other constantly? These questions were pushed from his mind as Sakura's lips met his the final time and this kiss was more whole, and yet more empty in its longing. It was evident now that Sakura was perfectly fine with any day with him, and Nicolas smiled even as their kiss was broken and they gazed to each other's eyes.

"Yes, you have." Nicolas began again softly, "Though I'll never grow sore of hearing it." He admitted to her, kissing her lips gently one more time, professing his own love in this simple action instead of in word, feeling that the action conveyed much more than words ever could. Breaking from the kiss, Nicolas released Sakura from his arms and took her hand in his own, "Breakfast, then?" He started, leading her from his chambers and working down the great staircase to the front foyer they had entered through the previous night. He was then faced with two options, they could eat in the dining area, or curl up in the living area and eat there. They both surely had their advantages, but Nicolas determined that if it was just the two of them, he'd rather be comfortable and as close to Sakura as he could be. Leading Sakura left, he brought her to the living room, a small smile on his face as they entered the open room.

The room was fairly large, a fireplace situated in the far corner with the King family crest above it, windows were on two sides of the room with various pieces of furniture around the walls, all facing toward the fireplace. Moving toward a love seat against one window, Nicolas took a seat as Sakura did so, calling to Verney and asking that their breakfast be brought there. He could have just as easily allowed them breakfast in bed, allowing Sakura more of what she called 'the most glorious of sleeps', in the 'most comfortable of beds', in the 'warmth of [her] man'. However, Nicolas had been, and still was, quite anxious for many things, breakfast in bed would have been much too quaint to start his day.

She was thrilled to hear that no offense would be taken by Verney if she did indeed want a tour of the beautiful gardens. It seemed as if the house elf would be only too delighted to show her about. They made their way to breakfast and Sakura felt spellbound as they entered the living room. It was about the size of two of their own rooms back home but the space itself was not what took her breath away, the family crest that hung above the fireplace was awe inspiring. They walked to the love seat by the window and it was here that Verney brought them their breakfast.

As they ate in the soft light that entered from the window, they chatted as easily as they always did. Conversation flowing smoothly, relaying topics of the events of the day before. Now and again she would hold her hand up to see how the light caught the ring and would always look to him after with a smile. It was still too surreal to believe that they would at some point be married. Knowing that dates and other such things would be the topic of conversation for later, she enjoyed now an analysis of the game and her families reactions. When Verney entered once more to enquire how they fared she smiled and took a moment then to ask if she could see the gardens. The elf seemed to transform before her very eyes and became most animated.

With breakfast over, she kissed Nicolas before racing up the stairs again to change into something a bit more suitable for gardening. She had every intention of lending a hand if it was so needed and as Sakura met with Verney at the end of the stairs, she beamed him a bright smile before they set outside into the warm spring morning.

Nicolas enjoyed breakfast, having missed Verney's cooking for quite some time, and having also been forced to miss dinner the previous night, with its events being what they were and his having grown exhausted as well throughout the day. What he enjoyed more, however, was Sakura's company and the constant reminders of their new engagement to each other. He would occasionally catch Sakura admiring the ring on her finger and would return the smile she offered him. It was a strange feeling, being engaged, one Nicolas a year earlier would have doubted he'd ever experience. He'd had chances upon chances for love, but they all seemed to fall apart one way or another. Nicolas had often joked that he was cursed, but inwardly felt that something about the life he chose to lead and what it entailed would be the ultimate reason that his relationships never got past a certain point. It seemed clear now, however, that the reason all the others had failed in their varied ways was that none of them were this relationship - the one he had with Sakura, the one he wanted to keep hold of for the rest of his life.

Nicolas smiled as Verney returned and Sakura asked to see the gardens. Verney, Nicolas had no doubt, was overjoyed at the idea. Retuning Sakura's small kiss, Nicolas indicated that he would occupy his time in some other way and that Sakura could go on with Verney. He wanted to spend time with Sakura as much as possible, but there were other things he could do and he was sure he would be too busy mocking Verney's proud tour to allow Sakura to enjoy it. It would be better for them both, then, he reasoned to himself, if he stayed behind for the time being. Sakura seemed to understand this and left in a hurry. Verney asked his Master if he needed anything else, but it was evident to Nicolas that the house elf's mind was elsewhere already. Likely already giving the tour in his mind, Nicolas reasoned, and thanked Verney for asking but dismissed him.

Verney was glad to have his master home once more. The house was always so empty when Nicolas was in New Zealand, and Verney occupied his time in those empty days with the gardens. Most of the land around the hall was for gardens and Nicolas' grandparents had taken great pride in their gardens. Nicolas' mother had taken up this tradition as well, with his father also enjoying working on them in his spare time. Verney's master now, however, could care less for the gardens. Verney knew he appreciated them being kept up, but he didn't seem to carry the family's desire to care for the land and to make it look as magical as it always did. Verney had always helped with the gardens, and now, because of Nicolas, the gardens were entirely Verney's to care for. It was for these reasons that the aged house elf was so glad to be able to show off his work and, it seemed, even have help in this new woman that Nicolas had brought home with him, the woman Verney was told would soon be his mistress.

Having been dismissed by Nicolas, Verney stood by the stairs and waited anxiously for Sakura, he recalled her name to be, to come down to begin their stroll through the gardens. She seemed a fine girl, likely one Nicolas' parents would have been jubilant to see their son with (though his parents approved of most of his choices), and the fact that she had any interest in the gardens only endeared her that much more to Verney. As the woman reappeared and descended the staircase Verney caught her smile and looked down to his toes, which he wiggled anxiously before looking back up to see that she had reached the floor at last. Verney bowed for the woman, though not quite the same degree of bow he tended to greet a King with, and asked if there was anything she had particular interest in. He then straightened back up and led the woman outside, walking along a path of well pruned and sculpted bushes.

Walking with Verney through the various paths that wound beautifully in intricate mazes throughout the landscaped gardens, Sakura was virtually speechless. It was even more beautiful in the light of day than what it had been the evening before. The lawn was truly expansive and so well tended too, a perfect shade of green as it reached the bushes that led to the herb garden, while other bushes all beautifully sculpted led off in other directions. To the most beautiful rose garden she had ever seen, to the most glorious patch of wild flowers and on to a vegetable garden as well.

Numerous times she turned to Verney asking him various questions regarding his potting and replanting techniques; his pruning and other various aspects relating to the garden. A small orchard of apple trees mingled among a cherry grove took her breath away and by the time they had stopped at the herb garden she had a smile so wide that she was virtually breathtaking to observe. She was in her element here and gushed not for the first time about how fabulous a job Verney had done with the gardens. There were many plants of course that had been planted not just for their beauty but for their magical properties and she was thrilled by this.

Most of the morning seemed to fly by as they patrolled the grounds, the tour was detailed and encompassed every single plant, shrub, flower and tree that were part and parcel of the great estate.
"Verney thank you, this has been a beautiful way to spend this morning. Thank you for taking the time to show it all to me".

Verney answered all of Sakura's questions gladly, most jubilant that somebody cared at all now, though he felt poorly that he needed no aid in gardening, not today at least. Sakura was obviously blown away by the aesthetics of the garden, but she also seemed to have an appreciation for the fact that not everything was simply planted for its beauty, many things there had function as well and Verney often told himself that access to a garden for herbs like theirs, in the UK, would be any potion maker's dream. Nicolas, when needing to brew something specific with a rarer ingredient, had often written to Verney to inquire if their gardens grew it. Often they did, but if they did not, Verney often saw to it that he started to. After so many years of that, the garden was becoming quite the potion ingredient factory.

As the tour concluded Verney bowed with the thanks given to him. "It was Verney's pleasure, he insisted, a smile on his face as he led Sakura back to the manor, wondering what Nicolas was up to now and why he hadn't come out to tour the gardens, even if he would have only done so to humour his fiancée.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back