In which they arrive

"Well, I figure my current assignment is sill only to be told to the Headmistress." Nicolas began with hesitance. He took a sip of wine and then continued, "I was originally sent to keep an eye out for Death Eater activities in and around the school, the minister was suspicious of an attempted uprising in New Zealand and wanted the school protected and under his watch." He explained in a hushed tone, so as not to attract unwanted attention to their table.

Cecily leaned forward to hear him better, listening to him intently. She nodded, understanding fully his position. She well remembered the subterfuge her former husband had had to take to secure his assignments.
"I understand,"she said, sipping her wine. She shook her head. "After all these years their master dead and gone and they still continue with their cause."

"Half deny that he ever died, and the other half simply wish to take his place." Nicolas replied, "Though I agree, it is rather pathetic of the lot of them." He continued, running his finger around the rim of his wine glass. "How'd your sick plant turn out?" he asked, unsure of what else to say.

Their food arrived and Cecily took a moment to lay her napkin in her lap and say a silent prayer over her food, a habit that'd been drilled in her since infancy. The delicious looking food stalled her brain and she waited until his was placed before him before tucking in and having a bite. The Coq Au Vin was tender and almost as delicious as her grandmother's. She chewed, swallowed and took a sip of her wine before answering his question.
"False alarm,"she said, referring to her plant. "Nothing more than a case of loneliness, so I brought in a mate. Plants are odd, you know. Not many think about how sentient the magical ones can truly be. How is your meal?"she asked, smiling softly before taking another bite of hers.

Professor King smiled and thanked the server as he set down their food. He took a small bite of some of the potato as he listened to what was wrong with Cecily's plant, it all seemed rather silly to him. He understood magical plants could be sick as any plant could, and that they felt emotion, but loneliness seemed far fetched to him. He supposed that was why he only received an E in his N.E.W.T herbology course. "Oh, it's quite fine, and yours?" Nicolas replied with a small smile.

"It's excellent,"she said, grinning slightly. She'd seen the same look come over his face as when she talked to many of her students. She was used to it of course. It stopped stinging long ago. It was one of the many reasons she taught, to bring understanding to her craft.
"Did you ever find out who leaked your story to the Prophet?"she asked, halfway through her meal.

(((Awww he didn't have a "you're dumb -- shutup" or a "I'm not paying attention" look :-0 )))

"No, I have a suspicion though I don't think it's worth pursuing." Nicolas replied after a few more bites of his supper, "What has happened has happened and knowing for sure who leaked to the prophet will do me no good." he continued with a smile. 'I'm just glad you're not upset with me.' he thought. "So I hope you've moved back into the castle?" he persisted.

A guilty look came over her face at his question and she sipped her wine. "Well,"she stalled, looking everywhere but at his eyes, "not exactly."

"May I inquire why you still have not?" Nicolas said, setting his fork down on his plate and focusing on Cecily. How could she act so recklessly after their experience on the lawn? The danger she was putting herself in was immense and she didn't seem to much care.

"I have new quarters in the castle and mostly I retire there at night." She sighed and finally looked at him. He would think her irresponsible. "You see...I've been falling asleep at my desk. I wake up the next morning, papers scattered, not remembering when I fell asleep."

"Can you not work in your quarters instead on late evenings?" Nicolas asked, not wanting Cecily to continue risking (quite possibly) her life for the simple desire to finish marking a few papers.

Cecily nodded, her cheeks flushing. She picked up her fork and knife and continued to finish her meal. She felt embarrassed that she'd been so foolish lately. Especially with everything going on. She finished her last bite and drank some wine.

Nicolas finished hi supper in thoughtful silence before turning back to Cecily, "Had you said there would be dinner theatre?" he asked before taking another sip of wine.

"Um, yes, yes there is,"she said, trying to regain her composure. She glanced to her left at the slightly raised stage in the middle of the room and nearly choked on her wine. Her soft laughter was for his ears alone. "It seems as though they're tackling MacBeth."
Coming onto the stage were a few of the performers, setting up props, already in full costume.

"The Scottish Play, rather." Professor King stated, in full awareness of the curse witches had placed on Shakespeare's play.

She giggled, covering her mouth with her napkin. She didn't want the players to think she was laughing at them. "I starred in this play once. We had an acting club at Hogwarts and they cast me as Hecate."

"Ah, but Shakespeare did not include Hecate in his original work." Professor King informed Cecily in a hushed tone so as not to disturb the play.

"Truly?"she whispered back, surprised and pleased he knew so much about the play. "Did you study his works, Mr. King?"she asked playfully.

"Just the one's involving the magical community." Professor King stated coyly, knowing this was one of Shakespeare's favorite subjects. He had figured reading Shakespeare might given him a better understanding of Muggle Western culture.

The play began, the lights dimmed and their waiter refilled their glasses. Cecily picked hers up, sipping from it. She felt a thrum of contentment and felt a magic spark in the air. She loved this. She felt relaxed and happy, even if the actors were a little overzealous in their approach. She glanced at Nicholas. "I wish it'd been A Midsummer Nights Dream instead,"she whispered, winking.

"If this weren't a date I'd be interested in watching what they could do with Titus Andronicus." Professor King replied in a similar hushed manner as Cecily's. He looked at his refilled wine glass, wondering if he should imbibe some more. He usually limited himself to one glass of anything so as he would remain himself, and not whoever else hid themselves inside of him.

(Hid themselves inside of him?? :-0 )

Cecily glanced at him sharply. "I love that play!" she whispered excitedly. "We were forbidden to perform it because of its gore but the story behind it. I grew up watching much worse on the telly,"she grinned impishly. She noticed his hesitance in drinking his wine and wondered at it. She'd also grown up spending time on her grandfather's vineyard. Unbeknownst to her mother, who would have forbid her to ever go again, she'd learned how to drink a fully grown man under the table by the age of fourteen. It wasn't until she was older that she learned she was supposed to spit the wine out she tasted, not drink it down.

Professor King smirked, "Well, a woman with no hands and her tongue cut out carrying her father's hand in her mouth is usually not the prettiest sight." He then turned his attention to the actors on the stage-esque area, ignoring the wine on the table.

Cecily clasped a hand over her mouth to cover her startled laughter. Her eyes shone with merriment. She took a big drink of her glass of ice water, opting to forego the wine. She didn't want to seem like a lush, especially not on their first date. "I don't suppose the couples here would appreciate it much,"she agreed, her laughter muted. She got lost in the play and clapped along with everyone once the first half was done. She honestly was thankful they'd shortened it as it could be a very long play. The lights came back up as the actors went to change.
Their waiter came by their table again, pushing an elegant cart filled with many delicious and tempting desserts. "Care for dessert tonight?"he asked politely.
Cecily's eyes lit up. She had a sweet tooth. An unholy one. She chose a Tiramisu, a lovely Italian dessert for herself. "Have you ever seen anything so tempting?"she sighed.

Professor King shook his head as the Server came around with desert. "I'm fine thank you." He then turned to Cecily, "Fortunately I can say I haven't." he began with a smile, "So that was an....interesting first half."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back