Closed I Hated You (I Loved You Too)

Tristan watched fondly as Vivian put Mason in his pram. It helped a little, as Mason looked up at the mobile hanging above him curiously. He looked up at Vivian as he spoke, feeling sad their moment was now over. He cleared his throat. "I'd like that." He said. "I thought this was really nice too. I could... give you my address so you can decide if you want to catch up too?" He asked, already reaching in his pocket for a pen.

However much time passed, Vivivan never seemed to really get over how much he liked seeing Tristan happy. Even with their history, even all these years later... "Yeah, I'd like that." He smiled, glancing down at the now cold coffee he had neglected in favour of cuddling with Mason.

Tristan grinned, sliding a napkin closer to him so he could jot down the address. He then handed it to Vivian as he got up. "Thank you." He said softly. "For giving me another chance." He said, meeting his gaze.

Vivian was smiling as he accepted the napkin, though his heart leaped into his throat as Tristan spoke, unable to tear his eyes away from the other man's. They had both danced around what this really was, never going past the kind of conversation old schoolmates might have after several years apart. But things between them had never been so simple, and Vivian couldn't deny that that was exactly what this had been. What this was. And he had to admit to himself too that Tristan had thought the same the last time they had seen each other too, and that Vivian had stomped all over him. There was still a way out without hurting Tristan this time - he could act as though this had been nothing but a friendly catch up, pretend their history had never happened and escape whatever this was. But he still remembered the hollow ache he had felt after their last encounter, the months it had taken to get back on something resembling an even keel. He wondered how long it had taken Tristan. "Thank you too." He said, before his thoughts could go further down that spiral. "For giving me one." There was nothing more to be danced around. This was what it was, a step towards something new, and Vivian knew better now than to pretend otherwise to himself or anyone else.

Tristan hadn't planned the words before they came out of his mouth, and as he waited for Vivian to respond he wondered if it could be interpreted as something friendly, platonic. Just another chance at being friends. But they both knew that wasn't the case, and Tristan felt his heart leap as Vivian echoed his words. He swallowed, a part of him still unsure what this was. Again, his body acted on instinct. Tristan leaned forward and gave Vivian a quick peck on the lips, nothing like any kisses they had shared except maybe their very first one, but still a clear message. He pulled back, searching his face nervously. "Alright, goodbye." He muttered though he didn't move yet.

Tristan acknowledging what this was had felt gutsy to Vivian, a move he was still turning over in his head. He wasn't prepared at all when Tristan leaned closer, too blindsided to actually react to the kiss in any way other than his eyes fluttering closed for a fraction of a second. It was over almost as quickly as it had started, fast enough that Vivian wondered if he was losing it, hallucinating. But the nerves in Tristan's face and voice were obvious, and it shut his brain down immediately, instinct taking over as he reached out, taking Tristan's hand quickly. It fit like they had last held hands yesterday. He leaned closer, giving Tristan another gentle kiss, slightly longer but no less chaste. He lingered a few moments before pulling back, squeezing his hand gently. "I'll see you soon."

Tristan was surprised when Vivian took his hand and kissed him, his heart was pounding like he was a teenager again. As Vivian pulled away, Tristan nodded. "S.. see you." He said, flushing at the way he had tripped over the first word. He waved awkwardly, then pushed the pram out of the coffee shop quickly. He stopped outside, taking a few moments to take a breath and collect himself. He briefly touched his lips, unaware that he was visible from inside through the window.

Vivian didn't quite feel ready to process what this meant yet, meeting Tristan's awkward wave with a nervous smile before slumping back into his seat as soon as the other man was gone. He reheated his cold coffee with a wave of his wand and drank it in one go, glancing out the window as he did. His heart skipped a beat as he spotted Tristan, touching his lips like he had just had his first kiss all over again. He fought the urge to touch his own lips, instead brushing one hand over the napkin in his pocket. This was all almost certainly a mistake, but as Vivian stood up and prepared to apparate home, ignoring the habitual twinge in his scarred shoulder, he couldn't bring himself to regret it.

-fin-​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back