Holiday at the Sigurd Mannor

Sarah Hildebrandt

OOC First Name
Julie ^_^
Sarah was having trouble sleeping. Gilderoy was restless in the room that they shared, and she could not handle him anymore that evening. She placed her robe over her nightgown and tied it tight at the waist and slipped her feet into her slippers before she opened the door and walked into the hallway.

Slowly she made her way down the stairs to the kitchen. She wanted to make a drink and sit and read for a bit. She poured a glass of iced tea from the refrigerator, and then walked out to the living room and looked under the tree for the book that Daisy had given her. It was a muggle novel that Daisy had liked and thought she might too. She turned and stood, then realized that she was not alone in the room.

Valcan had begun to regret staying the night at his son's home, a bit uncomfortable in the unbearable heat of a totally different continent, along with the rest of his family. He liked the security of the Herrogard, and having lived there all of his life it was quite a thing to ask him to sleep in other places. His golden eyes flickering with weariness, he had left the seemingly stuffy room provided for him and sidled down into the living room, having brought a book written entirely in Runic Norwegian with him. He cracked it open, but on this night he was finding it incredibly difficult to immerse himself within the pages of its stories, snapping it shut with a sigh and placing it on the table next to him, content to stare at the Christmas tree. German tradition, nothing more; he had not really ever celebrated Christmas more than he had the Holidays. He did not see why wizards would pick up on such a muggle holiday so blindly, not even acknowledging what it really meant. He had watched as gifts were exchanged, even having given them himself; Erik had been particularly enthused with his toy broomstick, Estrella confused with the silver bells Tristan had given her.

In his musings he was surprised to see Sarah enter the room, watching her with his golden eyes as she moved to the tree, looking for something; a book, perhaps? In any case, she had not noticed him in the room, and instead of announcing his presence, he waited for her to see. When she turned around, realizing that she was not alone, he greeted, "Imagine seeing you up. One would think with Gilderoy you'd be too exhausted to stay awake."

Estrella sighed, turning in her bed and staring at the ceiling; despite the incredibly long day she'd had, the new people she had met, she was unable to go to sleep. She had thought she might be able to snag some of it when she had put her nightgown on and crawled under the covers, even pulling out a book she hadn't managed to read to attempt to let her dreams, or nightmares, ensnare her. With frustration she put the book to the side, sitting up in bed, the bright moonlight glaring through her window and making the use of candles unnecessarily. She clutched her legs to her chest as she looked around the room, unsure what to do to make use of her seemingly boundless time.

Her curiosity having finally claimed her, she stepped onto the cold wood floor, her feet no more than a soft patter as she walked acrost it; everyone else was sleeping, and she decided that it would be only be courteous to be quiet. Rummaging through the bag she had brought, she pulled out the silver bells her father had given her, eyeing them curiously. She had no idea where they were from or what they did; just that her father had said they would produce something very spectactular, and that it was just for her. She had decided to save them for a special occasion, but finally figuring that the night of Christmas and spending the Holidays with her true immediate family, no less, was occasion enough, she pulled them out, eyeing them curiously.

silverbells.jpg

The silver glinted quite prettily in the light carved ornately and delicately by a master craftsman. Should she ring them? Hopefully, they wouldn't be too loud. With a rather minute flick of her wrist, she caused the bells to chime, but the resulting attempt at quietness seemed futile as the bells broke out into song.

Great, I'll have woken everyone up by now! was her immediate thought, but she was soon consumed by the breathtaking beauty of the song. Its melody was unexplicable; possessing themes of anger, happiness, beauty, melancholy, desperation, departed friends and lost love and lives; it was as if the song had been written particularly for her. It was as if an invisible musician had tagged along with her for the whole of her years, had composed this song just for her and had finally decided it was her time to hear it. Beautiful flats and majors of unexplicable precision composed the notes of a symphony, her symphony, in fact, that no one else would ever get to hear.

It seemed to last forever and then be too short; she let out a sigh of both relief and anguish as the bells ceased to play, harboring silence as they remained still. She attempted to shake them again, but nothing happened. Deep down, she had known that this had been only a one time thing; but it had reinvigorated her, rekindled something, somehow. Was it hope? Faith?

Regardless, it left her with a mixture of both warm and cold feelings, and whereas she had been trying to go to sleep, there was definitely no sleep for her now. She knew that this had been the perfect gift, but how her father had gotten these she did not know. In any case, she had a feeling that they were not in large stock in the world, and she doubted whether she would ever get to hear that beautiful song ever again. Even now, the notes were fading from her memory, moving to the outer fringes of her mind to possibly to be brought up later.

Plopping down in the chair provided her with a sigh, she was amazed that no one else had her the rather spectacular song; not even a stir did she hear. Dreamily, she gazed out the window onto the moonlit street, contemplating what had just happened. She was unsure whether she wanted to go downstairs for something to drink or not.

Sarah turned and was startled to see Valcan sitting on the sofa. "Now why do you need to be so mean right away? Goodness. Do I talk ill of your family and former lovers? No. What gives you the right to act that way?" She was over the jump in her chest from seeing him there, and had moved right into annoyance edging on anger.

Valcan's thin lips spread into a smirk, his golden eyes glinting with amusement as he relaxed a bit, finding the couch to be very comfortable. Lief and Daisy had both done well for themselves, he had to admit, even if the house was a bit small.

"Beauty is truth, truth is beauty," he quoted, although he was not really sure where he had heard it. "It would not hurt if you just relaxed a bit, Sarah, and came to accept it."

He could not help egging her on, despite the fact that he was beneath someone else's roof.

Sarah looked at Valcan, his ease making her madder. "Exactly what do you want me to accept? That you are an ass? I already knew that one." She knew it was juvenial to call him names, but he was making her just that mad. "Or do you want me to accept that Gilderoy is, even now, more of a man than you ever could dream of being?" She walked closer to him as she spoke, the book in her right hand, her arms crossed over her chest. She felt a bit naked in front of him. Her robe was tied tight, but she still was conscious of her lack of clothing.

Valcan tut-tutted almost disapprovingly, replying smoothly, "You have such a way with words, dear Sarah." He noticed how scantily clad she was, smirking as an insult came to his lips, but then disippated as he looked her up and down with enthusiasm. Chuckling quietly at her insult, he stood up, looming over a foot over her, looking down, the smirk on his face infuriating for nearly anyone. "You know what I think, Sarah? You're bored with your life, and you feel alone. And I'm talking about everything, from your little everyday fancies to anything in the dark." He started to turn, knowing that he had gotten under her skin with his comment.

Sarah noticed that Valcan's eyes skimmed over her body. A whole flock of butterflies flew furiously in her stomach. What on Earth is wrong with me? He is an ass. Always was. As he towered over her, she was very consious of his scent. He always had this amazing scent about him when they were together, and it has not changed.

She looked up at him as he spoke, his words finding their targets. "I am not bored with my life. My life is rather full actually. And what knowledge would you have of what I do in the dark. You lost that right years ago." Sarah kept her face turned up to Valcan, determined not to let him get the upperhand.

Valcan turned back to Sarah slowly, stepping closely as he smirked down at her, his golden eyes appearing to be liquid as they glittered in amusement. His chiseled physique almost unnervingly close to hers, he whispered, "You know I always have and always will be the best you ever had. Just remember that, Sarah. Let us not both pretend to be fools; you know as well as I that you miss me. Gilderoy is hardly a replacement," he smirked, moving a bit closer, "Nor would another be as sufficient."

Sarah glared at Valcan. "I cannot believe just how ARROGANT you are!" Before she even thought about what she was doing, she dropped the book in her hand to the floor. She raised it and quickly connected it to Valcan's left cheek. "You only wish you were the best. You were far from." Her words dripped with venom as she spoke.

Valcan's golden eyes glowed in anger, this not having been the only time he had been physically assaulted by Sarah for his remarks. He was quite glad that he was old enough to have a solid grasp on his power; starting fires was pretty at first, but could turn out to be pretty nasty. With one fluid motion he grabbed her arm, and almost seeming as if he was going to hurt her he swung her under the mistletoe, planting a kiss on her lips with much enthusiasm.

Sarah was scared as Valcan grabbed her arm. She knew what he was capable of and really didn't want to be on the receiving end of his glare. Then, just as suddenly as she had slapped him, she was being kissed. She pushed against him, not wanting to give in to him. Suddenly, she relaxed and kissed him back, matching his enthusiasm as her free hand found its way to his hair and entangled itself there. Her heart began to race as they kissed, betraying the feelings that she had worked so hard to bury.

Valcan smirked in mid kiss, glancing up at the mistletoe with amusement. This only proved that Sarah still had feelings. With one fluid motion he sweeped her off her feet, carrying her upstairs. "I knew you missed it," he purred, kissing her all the way.

He did not notice his shocked granddaughter, who had just stepped out of her bedroom, too immersed with Sarah to notice. Tangling his fingers in her hair, he shut the door behind them.

He did not hear Estrella's gasp of disgust nor would he have cared for her mortification.

Tristan was quite tired as he led Erik by the hand, who was quite enthused to get on his toy broomstick and fly. He had had to explain, over and over again, that breakfast time was not the best time to fly. The little boy still in his pjs, he raced up to Valcan's bedroom, the door there being wide open.

Erik's mouth agape in surprise, he exclaimed, "WHAT ARE THEY DOING?" As he saw Valcan and Sarah, kissing each other against the wall. Tristan's expression was much the same as Erik's, sweeping his son off of his feet and making his way downstairs, his laughter echoing throughout the house.

The next morning, Sarah was in disbelief of what had happened between her and Valcan. She slowly climbed from the bed, and gathered her things before trying to get out the door early enough that the children would not see her. She managed to get the door open to the hallway before Valcan pinned her to the wall to kiss her again.

Sarah thought she had heard someone outside in the hallway, but was rather enjoying the kiss at the moment so she didn't turn to look and see who it was. She thought she heard laughter heading down the stairs, but did not turn in time to see the source of the laughter. As she moved her lips away from Valcan's, she turned to look out the door. "I think someone has been spying on us." She looked up to Valcan's eyes to see what exactly he thought of their spy.

Valcan was a bit surprised of how receptive Sarah had been, but nonetheless, he was pleased. He could not resist himself as he brought Sarah to the wall for another kiss, figuring that as long as no one found out, it was alright.

His moment of bliss was interrupted as he thought he heard talking, and laughing. He stopped, pulling away and resuming his cold composure, something that he had not possessed in the last 24 hours. "No one hears about this, agreed?" he stated quietly, his golden eyes falling on Sarah with a teeny bit of amusement.

Sarah looked up at Valcan, noting that the man she used to love had faded into the background yet again. "Don't worry. I wouldn't want anyone to know about this." She was suddenly ashamed of her moment of weakness, and realized just what she had done. Sarah pulled her robe shut around her, and turned towards the door. "You better figure out who it was that was spying on us from the hallway before the secret is out. Wouldn't want anyone to find out you are a human after all, would you?" With that, she turned to walk out the door.

Valcan rolled his golden eyes as he looked to Sarah, and having already dressed himself he looked to the door. "You know you enjoy my humanity, dearest." Sighing as he thought about the person at the door, he replied, "It sounded like a young child to me- I am pretty sure it was Erik." He smirked. "There should be no trouble keeping him silent."

Opening the door so that she could walk by, he said, "You first? I'm probably going to wait a few minutes before I go down there. Might look bad if we go down together, wouldn't you say?"

"I don't think we have any worries about that. I will head to my room and dress appropriatly for breakfast. I don't feel like arriving in my nightclothes." Sarah turned on her heal and walked into the doorway. She looked around, noting the hall was empty, and then turned to Valcan. "You may want to check if anyone else was with Erik. I thought I heard a more adult laugh with his." She then walked out the door and down the hall to her room.

Sarah quickly opened the door and stepped inside. As she shut the door again, she leaned against it for a moment. "What did I just do?" She then moved to the closet, and began to dress. She pulled on a pair of jeans and a sweater, making sure that she looked really better than she should be for breakfast. As long as she knew that Valcan still was attracted to her, she was going to torment him as best as possible. She spritzed herself with what Valcan used to tell her was his favorite and then headed out of the room again and down to breakfast, not sure who she would find around the table.

Erik giggled as he played with his oatmeal, sitting next to his father and brimming with utter mischieviousness. The goopy stuff all over his hands dripping off his fingers, he squealed shrilly as he saw Sarah. Turning to her, he exclaimed, "Where he go?" Of course he was talking about Valcan, but he didn't know what to call his grandfather, knowing none of his names.

Sarah was a touch disappointed that Valcan was not in the kitchen when she arrived, but relieved as well. She was not sure that she could look him in the eyes again without being ashamed of her unending attraction to the man.

She saw Erik and Tristan were at the table, Erik with his hands in oatmeal. "Good morning," she said warmly. When Erik spoke, she stopped in her steps and tried to maintain a look of puzzlement instead of the shock that tried its hardest to break out. "What do you mean? Where'd who go?" Her eyes flickered over to Tristian, wondering just how much he had seen, if anything.

"Erik, it doesn't matter," Tristan snorted, shaking his head, unable to look Sarah in the eye, attempting to conceal his smirk. "Eat your oatmeal, champ." He grimaced at the mess he was going to have to clean up; even if with magic. Oatmeal was everywhere. He had just gotten done scolding Erik for putting it in his hair, and then throwing it at him.

He couldn't believe what his father had done; and he feared that he definitely would not be able to keep a straight face once he walked in.

Sarah noticed the smirk on Tristan's face, though he tried to hide it. She realized then that he had seen them for sure. She groaned inwardly, knowing Valcan would not be pleased, and find some way to blame her for this even though he was the one who kissed her to begin with.

"Wow, Erik, you have quite the mess there. You would think your cousins were in on this with you. Are they up yet?" she asked, hoping to change the topic before Valcan arrived to eat.

Figuring that Sarah had been sitting at the table long enough to cover himself, Valcan strolled nonchalantly downstairs, finding his way to the breakfast table and taking a seat far away from Sarah, glancing at her quickly and the look disappearing, he bade everyone a good morning, picking up an issue of the Daily Prophet, unaware of the conversation that had just transpired.

Erik shrugged his shoulders, giggling, flinging oatmeal everywhere with his flailing hands, obviously done with his dinner. "I dunno!" he squealed, smearing oatmeal over his face and grinning.

Seeing Valcan enter the room, he yelled out, "Kiss again!" His father's attempts at distracting him futile. He pointed to Sarah, announcing to everyone at the table what had just happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back