Sexual Orientation
Straight (Gabriel)
Wand
Knotted 16 1/2 Inch Rigid Mahogany Wand with Boomslang venom Core
THE HOGWARTS MONTHLY: YEAR 32 ISSUE 1

eT5taj3.png

WELCOME BACK TO HOGWARTS
By: Joshua Toubia

Don't fret everyone, it's another year at Hogwarts.

Whether you're new or old, student, staff or professor welcome to the grand archways of Hogwarts. From attending engaging lessons to signing up to fun student clubs, from the delightful cooked meals and festivities we partake in, there's always a good reason to be back. And for those who are new, don't stress. It'll take some time before it feels like the glowing warmth of your own home. One will be busy with lessons and making friends, the days will fly by and before you know it you're packing to go home and realize you don't want to go just yet.

Merlin’s Beard, is that how the old saying goes? We have a few new professors running around Hogwarts, so first years you're not alone on your quest. Everyone welcome them all, and they are according to Headmistresses Alicastell: Professor Jodie Wedd, a bubbly sort from what most can tell who will be teaching Arithmancy, third and fourth years. Professor Hezekiah Mowry, related to notorious, Rama ‘Friendly’ Mowry, who will be teaching advance potion. Professor Madlyn Ateara and Professor Aspen Faye have taken post for Care of Magical Creatures. She is joined by Professor Ateara, a part giantess and mother to Chante Ateara and aunt to Willow Cullen, third and fourth years good luck. Professor Faye seems really nice from afar, don't be shy to strike a conversation with her. Honorary mention goes to Professor Landon Carter, he will be teaching all of Herbology and we wish him nothing but the best of luck to him. With so many new professors hired, this should remind all, including myself to make sure your classes are sorted or else, you're not benefiting from any of these brilliant professors.

Moving along, if you haven’t noticed already new prefects and head students were named this year. I would say I haven’t because I find seeking out for badges oddly peculiar. Nonetheless, they were pointed prefects and head students for a reason. From Slytherin, we have Sara Benivieni and Alistair Lancaster. Another Benivieni, that’s rather neat. In Gryffindor, we have Kauri Tipene and Thaddeus Miller. Kauri a great help for first year students, so I’ve been told and Thaddeus is known to host the rose deliveries every year. Onto Hufflepuff, Geovanna Volt and Norton Gillespie, both coincidentally on their house Quidditch team. I’ll be seeing them more often out on the pitch. And Ravenclaw, Elizabeth Chatwin and Viktor Styx. If any first years need a bit help, a little guidance don’t be afraid to reach out to them. Likewise with Flavio Morales and Amber Chou Wilson, this year head boy and girl. As busy as they might seem on their last year at Hogwarts, I’m certain they won’t mind helping with any inquiries anyone may have.

QUIDDITCH WINS AND LOSSES
By: Nixon Mercury

SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW

PROFESSOR CYNDI KINGSLEY
By: Evelyn Manning
So far this year, quidditch has been nothing but eventful! With two games between Slytherin and Hufflepuff and Gryffindor and Ravenclaw respectively, the team members, captains, and spectators alike have been treated to an interesting experience. There was no shortness of action to be had and I'm sure everyone involved had a spectacular time this semester!

Slytherin vs Hufflepuff

The first game between Slytherin and Hufflepuff started quickly, with Rory Fergusson snatching possession of the quaffle, all while the beaters on each team searched for bludgers. The first hit of the game was credited to Odette Harper, who sent the bludger right towards the Hufflepuff seeker, April Ward! Not long afterwards the Hufflepuff beater Norton Gillespie hit a bludger towards the Slytherin seeker just to see her dodge it, while one of the Hufflepuff chasers caught the quaffle to have it stolen by Derek Tahana moments later. If you're anything like me, I'm sure you were pleased with such a great start to the game seeing everything in Slytherin’s favor!

When April dodged another bludger that was hit her way and Geo Volt managed to steal the quaffle back, another one of the Hufflepuff chasers took a bludger hit to ensure Geo reached the hoops, causing things to look a little more grim for Slytherin. But this did not last long as the keeper saved Geo's attempt to score. At this time, Hufflepuff seemed to get a little frustrated by their lack of success as Norton seemed to take revenge by hitting Odette Harper with a bludger! Bludgers continued being hit between teams as Slytherin had possession of the quaffle, leading to a more interesting game when Norton hit Rory with a bludger and the boy didn't even have the quaffle!

Slytherin soon scored and caught the quaffle again, just to make another attempt that was saved. After that Hufflepuff attempted another goal to also find it was saved, and as bludgers continued to be hit back and forth Slytherin put up an amazing fight. In the end however it was April Ward that caught the snitch, securing the win for Hufflepuff.

Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw

The second game between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw also had its share of fun! The game started with a literal bang when Jacob Kingsley hit a bludger towards the Ravenclaw captain, the chaser Jemma Potter secured the quaffle, and Lizzie Taylor the Gryffindor captain following this up by hitting a bludger towards the Ravenclaw seeker. Though the seeker dodged Lizzie's hit, Jacobs hit was successful and slowed down the Ravenclaw captain enough for Jemma to reach the hoops and attempt to score twice! Her first attempt was saved, but her second went into the hoop giving Gryffindor an early lead! At the same time Jacob hit another bludger to have it hit the seeker, great job Gryffindor!

As the Ravenclaw captain eventually caught the ball, Gryffindor continued being relentless with their bludger hits, showing that their team was definitely a force to be reckoned with! A second hit by Jacob towards the Ravenclaw captain continued to slow him down, and Flavio's attempt to score and even out the game was saved. It was looking up a little for Ravenclaw when he caught the quaffle again and attempted a second goal to have it go through, though this was met with more resistance from Gryffindor and more bludgers being sent Ravenclaw's way. Ravenclaws third attempt at a goal was saved yet again, proof that the game was not going well for them.

When Gryffindor secured possession of the ball and Jacob hit another bludger towards the seeker who had already been hit twice, it was a surprising turn of events for Ravenclaw to steal the quaffle back, adding to the back and forth nature of the game. Another one of the Ravenclaw chasers scored again putting Ravenclaw in the lead for a short while. But it was the seeker Syrus Stilinski that soon caught the snitch and won the game for Gryffindor!

Hogwarts Monthly Reporter Evelyn Manning interviewed the Gryffindor Head of House, Professor Cyndi Kingsley for this issue.

Evelyn: Hello Professor Kingsley! I'm here for the Hogwarts Monthly. I've thought It would be a nice idea to get to know our Professors a little bit better. Like we all know you are Head of House from Gryffindor and teach Ancient Runes. But we are curious who you are and more than a Professor. Would you mind answering a few questions? Well to start us off, where are you from?

Kingsley: I was born in West Dorset but grew up all over. My father traveled for work so I grew up in a lot of different places.

E: When you were younger to which school did you went and in which house where you placed?

K: I attended this school actually, and I was sorted into Gryffindor.

E: What were your talents as a student? And what not?

K: Ooh that's a hard one. I was an average student, but I played Quidditch well and once I took runes I did well. I was pretty bad at wandless magic and am still not great at it.

E: When did you know you wanted to become a teacher?

K: I didn't want to be a teacher. It just sort of happened. I wanted to be an Obliviator, but i while I was waiting to see if I was accepted, I was offered a substitute position teaching runes here and then I just sort of stayed on.

E: What are other hobby's or things do you like to do in your free time?

K: I like to jog and watch Quidditch. I also enjoy traveling around to see my friends and family. Most of them live in England.

E: Who is your favorite colleague to work with?

K: I enjoy working with Professor Josephs for obvious reasons. And I enjoy working with Professor Styx because he makes me laugh. Fun fact- he used to be my Herbology professor forever ago.

E: What are you afraid of?

K: (shudders) I've never liked hags

E: What is your favorite part and place about Hogwarts?

K: The lake front. I have a lot of memories there from my own days at school, and it's just a nice place to relax. The mermaids are nice to visit too.

E: What is your favorite food?

K: Oh, anything that has chocolate in it will do.

E:Thank you for your time Professor.

MYu3fqj.png

AVwtrXM.png

TOP TEN PLACES TO BE ALONE IN THE CASTLE
By: Austin Branning

SPOOKY HALLOWEEN FUN
By: Nell Wright

10. The Abandoned Classroom
Generally a pretty good place but placed so low on the list due to a tendency for strangers to discover you and or drama to ensue. No thanks.

9. The Dungeons
I know! Ew, but if you want somewhere secluded and with very little foot traffic then the dungeons are perfect, though you might need a good excuse if a prefect finds you in a part of the dungeon a little off the usual path. Oh and bring a jumper.

8. The Owlery
If by alone you also mean surrounded by screeching birds then this works. This can be hit and miss, at certain times the Owlery can be a hive of activity as student send letters home, but be there at just the right time of day and you'll have the place to yourself.

7. The Library
Bear with me. While busy it is quiet and if you find the perfect spot you can feel like you're in your own little world.

6. Your Common Room during a Quidditch match
If you're a fan of Quidditch (as i am) then maybe skip this one, but one thing I picked up before I joined my team and my attendance at games became mandatory was that common rooms were bare when most of the school was packed into the stadium rooting for Slytherin to get beat.

5. The Hogwarts Garden
Le gasp! I know the title says in the castle but I think we can all accept the grounds are an extension of the castle. The grounds are peaceful and beautiful and as long as you aren't there during a Wild patch club event, generally quite.

4. The Trophy Room
A strange place to hangout in I know but as most people don't care too much to look at old trophies of long graduated (or in some cases dead) students you generally won't find many people in there.

3. The Astronomy Tower
Or any tower really but the Astronomy tower is my favourite due to it lacking foot traffic on days classes aren't held. The higher you go the less likely you'll run into someone.

2. The Forbidden Forest
We've all been there and while being alone in there can be terrifying, it isn't often you're running into big groups of people. Professors are a different matter. (I am absolutely not suggesting the completely out of bounds forest is a good hang out spot...)

1. The Cliffs
Again. Technically out of bounds, but easily the best place to go and be alone with your thoughts. More often than not keeps first years away, apart from the really curious ones and generally people who are there are more concerned with not falling off than bothering you.

For the first big event on the school calendar, the Halloween feast certainly went off with a bang, and there was no shortage of things to do and see! From apple bobbing, to the funhouse mirrors, to scary moving cupcakes, to a bustling dance floor, there was something to entertain everyone! The real highlight of the night, of course, was the Costume Contest, filled with amazing and spooky entrants! Listed below are the winners for the year!

Best Overall: Charlie Madison as Dolores Umbridge
Best Magically Enhanced: Cyzarine Haden as The Universe
Most Scary: Kira Wolf as a Zombie
Best Group/Couple: Evelyn Manning as Black Cat with Lucas Woodlock
Most Ridiculous: April Ward as a Sleepwalker
Best Traditional Halloween: Willow Cullen as Alice from Wonderland

Though I don't really know what was so scary about the overall winner, (Is pink scary now? Who's Dolores Umbridge?) everyone looked fantastic the whole night! Asides from our amazing winners, a few other highlights of the contest were Elliot Briar, who stuck to his name as Elliot from E.T., Amelie Marchand's positively terrifying take on a demon, and Fleur van Houten's dragon costume towering over the crowds. Even a few teachers joined the fun, and Professor Harrington's costume was so convincing I didn't recognise her at all! I'm told the Westwick twins were conspicuously absent from the contest, but I don't really know who that is. The Michaels twins looked fantastic dressed as vampires though! Other than the costume contest, the evening was filled with fun and frights, with lots to do. Piñatas were smashed, couples took to the dance floor, and the evening was filled with spooks and scares galore. With such a fun event behind us, I'm already looking forward to next year's feast!

Xg8q3UQ.png

CLUB EVENTS AND MEETINGS
By: Sophie Wilson

Hogwarts has no shortage of clubs, and they are a varied bunch. There is something there for everyone, except loners who take pride in not joining any club. During this first semester, most of the clubs held a meeting or some sort of event. These are always a good way to help the club members bond with each other, and it's always interesting to see what sort of things each club organizes. Hogwarts Monthly is, of course, also a club. At the start of the term we held a meeting in which the members could chat and get to know each other. It wasn't focused on the work for the paper, but rather on the people in the club. In my experience, writers tend not to be very social people (I'm using myself as an example, do not feel offended if you are a writer yourself), but creating bonds with other writers can really help the creative process. Being closer as a club will also help navigate the inevitable deadline stress, as people would be more willing to help each other out, and perhaps a little less irritable with someone else.

Heta Omega also held a meeting, but reports say it was a much busier and louder affair than our own. This is no surprise, as Heta Omega is one of the most popular clubs at Hogwarts. Perhaps the bracelets and gifts one gets when joining has something to do with that? Heta Omega has a system where younger students are paired with older students as 'big and little sisters', the older girls are a sort of mentor to the younger ones. So if you are in need of siblings, perhaps you should consider joining this club.

The Brotherhood had a different approach to the first meeting. With brand new President Kauri Tipene in charge, it seems like the Brotherhood will continue the laid-back approach of Ares Jeffreys. The first Brotherhood meeting of the year consisted of a pajama party, so if you witnessed a bunch of boys in pajamas wandering around the corridor one day, now you know why. Rumor has it that Vice President Tristan Collins looked less than cheerful at the meeting, though that may have something to do with the fact that he is still Vice President despite being older than Kauri. Despite his gloomy looks, the meeting was a great success with the younger boys of the club.

Another club that held a different kind of event was the Wild Patch Club. Brand new Queen of Flowers Ainsley Lynch hosted an event where members of the club got to plant vegetables in their own patch of land. I cannot imagine this being a fun activity you sign up for, but the members of the club seemed perfectly happy with this event. It did look very cheerful, and I'm curious to see how many of the vegetables that were planted will actually survive long enough to become edible.

Other clubs haven't had meetings yet as far as I'm aware, but I'm sure there will be reports of fun events in the future. Stay tuned, and perhaps consider joining one of these clubs next year.

HOROSCOPES
By: Noemie Vanity

Capricorn: Ah well Capricorn, all good things must come to an end, though for a while it probably felt like it wouldn’t. Things were being well managed, everything felt balanced, school, personal life fitness, but things had been falling away a bit at the seams with each passing day. Let things fall apart a little, that’s okay Capricorn, focus on you, have some you time. Take stock of everything important in your life, and know that this little bump is okay, something like this happening is okay. Let it be. The most important thing you can do during this time is let yourself relax while also making sure you keep doing a daily run. It might not feel like the best thing to do, but it’ll make you feel loads better and give you such a clear head after.

Aquarius: A recent loss of a friend or partner or even a guardian is always difficult, you know that no matter the loss of someone, or how it can be difficult. Don’t put yourself down or compare yourself to others and their current situations. It won’t help you at all, it won’t make you feel better, and it is not helpful. Understand Aquaris that you need to be kinder to yourself, give yourself more time, give yourself the same patience you would show to others. Focus on something else like working towards good grades, work on eating more healthily, work on spending more time working out. Breath, give yourself time and it’ll all be better soon, patience is key.

Pisces: With so much happening around you Pisces it can be difficult to focus on any one thing. It can be tricky to focus on the little things when there just appears to be so much else on going. There’s little that you can’t do if you put your mind to it Pisces, don’t ever forget that. However, that’s not really the issue at hand, is it? The problem is that everything feels like it’s spiraling. It feels like things are going a bit nuts. But, it’s okay, just focus on one thing at a time. Just take it one day at a time, just allow yourself to breath and focus on one task at a time. You’ll find that with time things will even out, things will get easier and everything will calm down. It’ll be difficult, but this overwhelmed feeling you have will fade.

Aries: When things are hard you’ve been trying to not go running, right? It’s not like the sort of good and healthy running that you could be doing, running that would allow you to feel better, be healthier and more focused but the running away from problems, issues and responsibilities that sort of running. However that doesn’t always go to plan does it? Running away from problems doesn’t tend to solve them, but it doesn’t mean you always get away. Facing things head on can be scary and daunting, but Aries, trust me, you can do this. I believe in you. I believe in your ability to deal with any and all problems. Take the extra time to go for a run, take the time to work out, run up the stairs a few times. Exercising can help clear your head and make you feel happier. That’ll help you face and tackle these problems with the strength you already have. You can do this Aries.

Taurus: With a sudden and sharp dip in life, those around you appear to be showing their true colours. It is at times like this Taurus that you can find out those that are loyal to you and those that are not. It should be noted of course that not all friends need to be entirely loyal but recently you’ve been able to better spot those who are seemingly actively against you. Now is a good time to stock of all that you have, rely on those good and loyal friends, on your family, and get rid of those who seek to bring you down. Getting rid of the toxic people in your life will open new opportunities for you to do well in your classes, it will allow you to make new friends and have more you time. Balancing and managing a social life can be hard, but trust those loyal and get rid of those not and things will improve soon.

Gemini: School can be challenging right? There are times when school feels like the most difficult thing, when the essays and spell practices are increasingly hard, when you can’t keep up with the transfiguration professor or deal with the defence against the dark arts professor’s sourness. It’s okay, we’ve all been there, school isn’t easy for anyone. Let me assure you of that. You are doing okay, you will be fine. Just keep opening those books and keep studying, take a few extra breaks in your work, spend some time outside, go for a run or take up a new hobby. Allowing your mind time to rest and relax, this will help when you go back to continue the work that you need to do. It’ll help your mind feel clearer and more adept. Taking time for you even in the most difficult of years is good for you and overall.

Cancer: There’s something to be said about a laid back attitude Cancer, but when all that’s actually happening is you isolating yourself that’s not any good. That’s no more helpful than over doing it, in any aspect of life. If you over do it when running or working out it can affect you more negatively than positively. That’s why you have to be a little proactive, things have fallen right into your lap and into place before but they won’t always. You should get yourself out there, make plans with a friend, consider joining a new club, it’s never too late to join in with something that you haven’t before. It’s never too late to make a positive change, it’ll result in a better and happier state of mind, in new and interesting friendships and the possibility of a new love in your life, whether person, animal or thing. Isolating yourself from life will only make you feel a lot worse. Go for a run, clear your head and this’ll all become a bit easier.

Leo: Putting yourself out there has been exceedingly good Leo, things are going well, your friends and proving themselves over and over, family is good. Life is good for you Leo, and while you might think that I’m here to put you down or say that it’s about to end, it probably won’t! Everything you are doing is working well, the stars are aligned for your good fortune Leo. Keep working hard, keep doing what it is you are doing and new, exciting opportunities will open themselves up to you. Keep yourself active and open, keep yourself healthy and in shape. Be sure to have some time relaxing, that’s still vital but just keep at it!

Virgo: With a busy schedule what with workload and general school things you’re finding balance a little difficult Virgo. It’s left you feeling a little more lonely than normal. But school work can leave you feeling like that if you aren’t involved in other aspects, even if you are turning up for some of them. It can leave you feeling like you have to isolate yourself to be able to improve and do well, but Virgo, as you can tell by how you feel it’s not good, nor will it benefit you in the long term. You have to take time for you, you have to make sure you are good and happy, relaxed and prepared. Take some time away from it all, even if it’s exam season, reconnect with your friends, just sit and have a chat with someone random, try something new, go to the kitchens and make some elf friends Virgo. Just get yourself out of the low mood by involving yourself in more things.

Libra: In a bit of a rut right now Libra? Things are fine, you are fine, that’s what word can be used to describe how things are right now. It’s been slowly grinding away at this for what feels like forever, even if in reality for some it’s nearly nothing at all. Libra ruts can be good, they can allow you to work away and achieve well, but this one, the stars indicate that you should strive for change. It can be hard, it can be challenging, but trust in yourself. You can do this. Go to a new club, study in a new area, even the smallest thing different can make the best and biggest changes. They can and will open the doors to new opportunities and experiences. Be open to them libra, you don’t need to say yes to everything but you need to say yes occasionally. Open yourself up, give it a little bit of time and patience and you’ll see, everything will pick up again and goodbye rut!

Scorpio: How amazing are you finding life right now Scorpio? An excellent and varied place. More changes are going to be taking place in the near future, you should keep yourself open and willing to it, being willing to try new things to help old friends is why you are feeling so good right now. Why life is going well. With the moon in the position it is, be sure to try to maximise how you feel, feelings like this do not and will not last forever, so take stock of what you have, take stock of everything that’s been happening, lean on your friends a little more, help them too. Allow yourself to both enjoy this good fortune and do a little good with it too. You deserve this Scorpio but don’t waste it.

Sagittarius: You’ve been let down just one too many times recently, and that has certainly affected your confidence a bit. You’ve been working hard, putting the hours in in many aspects of your life but nothing seems to be working, you are not being repaid in the method you had once hoped. You aren’t seeing the results of your work, not as much as before. It’s been hard and disheartening, but Sagittarius it’s okay, let yourself feel these emotions and then learn from them. Go out for a run, work out a little bit, just get a little for you. It’ll help you feel a little better. Turn to those friends of yours and rely upon them a little too. Let yourself be around others and relax. You’ll find if you spend a little time on you, rely a little on those around you things will improve for the better. You will feel so much better. Sagittarius trust me, life will find a way to lift you back up it just might be tomorrow and not today.

"What is your least favourite subject, and why?"
By: Caro Taylor

wgTBR8T.png

Elliot Briar
Hufflepuff First Year

"If I absolutely have to pick one.. I guess History of Magic? It can be interesting and stuff, but I find it hard to focus sometimes when there's nothing cool to work towards..."

X0gXrLu.png

Uno Bear
Slytherin Second Year

"History of Magic ugh such a snore fest! This is my face every class!"

0vCpixO.png

Arvel Ayers
Hufflepuff Third Year

"Um... Ancient Runes, I guess. It's just kind of boring. I'm dropping it next year."

imdlBqx.png

Patrick Vernier
Hufflepuff Fourth Year

"I'd probably say Astronomy because I'm not that good at it. There are too many dots in the sky and it just gets confusing sometimes."

WvQrSpH.png

Sophie Wilson
Ravenclaw Fifth Year

"Potions. It's messy and often a lot of work for a small result, I prefer relying on spells. The early years were also pretty silly and childish, which turned me off the subject."

yDTbZQv.png

Sofia Rosenberg
Gryffindor Sixth Year

"Everything. I don't like classes. But if I had to choose one it would be History of Magic. I hate looking back to the past."

sQr6bvm.png

Zenia Katsaros
Gryffindor Seventh Year

"Potions can be a bit tricky!"

j8mizOS.png

Professor Lillian Sword
History of Magic Years 1-4

"I used to find Potions rather dull and repetitive - though I suspect I wouldn't think so if I'd had Professor Pendleton as my teacher."

Editor's Note: After working on the paper under Lennon's leadership for five years, it's hard to believe I'm now in the editor instead of him. It's a tough job, and I'm still figuring things out, but it's also a very wonderful experience. I couldn't have put this paper together by myself, so I really want to thank everyone who contributed to this issue. And thank you for reading it, I hope it was enjoyable.
Editor: Sophie Wilson

Last edited:
Nixon couldn't wait to read the first issue of the hogwarts monthly that year. With Sophie as the new editor he was curious to see how everything would turn out, and he was alternately curious to see the reactions to his article. Writing about quidditch was something Nixon never thought he would do, given his personal issues with the sport and his house's team, but as he wrote about the games that unfolded during the semester, he found that writing about quidditch was surprisingly enjoyable. If not for the excuse to spend time watching the cute quidditch boys as they played, then to trash the Hufflepuff team a little. When Nixon arrived to the great hall and picked up one of the issues, he quickly sat down to read it over, pausing as he reached his article. As he continued going through the paper, he also read his horoscope. It was unlike Nixon to be interested in horoscopes, as it was the astronomy and facts that he appreciated rather than astrology, but his growing interest in divination for a little bit of fun led him to see what it said about Pisces. The horoscope wasn't ridiculously accurate, and most of it seemed too generalized, but he did enjoy the advice it gave to take things one day at a time. Nixon smiled when he reached the end of the paper and read Sophie's note, liking how she had put the issue together. It turned out great in his opinion and he was happy to see where the paper would go with her leadership.​

Uno knew this was coming. She hadn't told her best friend, as she wanted it to be a surprise for him. However, when she saw issue out, she grabbed it quickly and ran to Phineas. "FINN FINN, LOOK!" She exclaimed, rifling through the other pages until she saw her face. She pointed at it and gave him a grin. "I'm famous."

Finn looked up, grinning as his bestie came running towards him. "At what?" he asked, wondering what news in the Hogwarts Monthly could possibly have Uno so excited. Seeing her picture, he snorted. "OMG, so famous. You'll have to be careful now, you might get a stalker." He elbowed her in the arm, laughing.

Arvel couldn't wait to read about himself in the Hogwarts monthly. He was bound to be mentioned once or twice in the Quidditch article, especially since he'd been on the winning team - and saved Geo from a bludger. He grabbed a copy and raced over to Analei, who was eating breakfast at the Hufflepuff table. "Have you read it? Did they mention me?" he asked, laying the paper out flat and opening it up. It didn't take him long to find the Quidditch article and skim-read it. His heart sank. He read it again, this time carefully, in case he'd just missed his name, but he hadn't - it wasn't there. He glanced at the author. Nixon. It couldn't have been an accident. He'd mentioned practically every other player by name. Yet Arvel was only ever referred to as 'a chaser'. Tears welled up in his eyes. Had Nixon done this on purpose? But why? What had Arvel ever done to him? Maybe it was an accident. It had to be. Afraid Analei would see his tears, Arvel got up and started fast-walking down the hall towards the doors.

Uno pulled her tongue at Finn when he laughed at her. "You're just jealous. First the school newspaper, then the world. You just wait, I'm gonna have people lining up to get my autograph. It's okay Sharkboy, you can be like, my bodyguard or something. Even though I'm tougher than you, so probably just like, the head of my fan club instead."

Analei hadn't read the Monthly yet, she wanted to read it with Arvel, so they could get excited together when they saw the article about his Quidditch match. She knew he was excited to read it, so she waited for him, munching on a piece of toast, and thinking about what she was supposed to be studying that day. She had done some exams, and was pleased at how they had gone, so was feeling relatively relaxed about the next few ones - but that didn't mean she wasn't going to study. Arvel finally arrived, and Analei shook her head, but leaned over her friend's shoulder to read the article with him. She rolled her eyes at some of the comments, not impressed at a Hufflepuff writer cheering for the Slytherin team, but her frown grew when she didn't spot Arvel's name anywhere. He was mentioned - but only as 'a chaser', not even by name. Analei felt anger flurry in her stomach, she knew that Nixon was mean to Arvel, but she didn't think he'd stoop as low as to ruin this moment for her friend. Analei looked up to try find the boy, to glare at him with all her might, but Arvel stood up and made his way - quickly - towards the doors. Analei dropped her toast, and quickly made her way after him. "Arvel - Arvel wait!"

Arvel stopped - but only because he didn't want Analei to think he didn't trust her. He wiped his face as he turned around, though he'd managed so far to keep the tears from falling in spite of the painful lump in his throat. All he wanted to do was let Analei catch up with him and then get the hell out of there. But no sooner had he turned around than he spotted Nixon sat not ten feet away at the table. Forgetting Analei - and the hundreds of other people around them - Arvel approached the boy from behind. "Nixon, have I done something to upset you?" he asked, jumping to the conclusion that it had to have been his own fault. He'd said or done something to make Nixon ghost him, to make him leave his name out of the article. A tear tickled his eye, and then spilled over. He wiped at his face, but the crack in his voice betrayed his hurt. "If I did, I'm really really sorry. I didn't mean to."

Nixon placed the paper down, looking up from the table and around the great hall searching for reactions to his article. Given his bias was unfiltered against the Hufflepuff quidditch team, he expected some reaction from them, hoping his words successfully took them down a peg and he would see them annoyed at the way they were written about in spite of their win. Though when he did see a reaction from a member of the team, it wasn't from a member he wanted to be associated with, causing him to quickly lower his head and pick up the paper again, willing himself to blend into the crowd so Arvel didn't notice him. At first he assumed the younger boy hadn't spotted him but this was proven wrong as he heard Arvel address him by his name. Cringing, Nixon turned around to face Arvel. He noticed tears running down Arvel's face and had to admit sadness was the opposite of what he expected, confusion washing over him momentarily as he wondered why on earth Arvel would cry over the article, it wasn't as if he mentioned the boy specifically, just worded his article to highlight Slytherin's successes in the game and downplay Hufflepuff's win. "Can you just chill? Why are you even so emotional over this? It's the hufflepuff team that are the problem." Nixon responded, evidently not connecting the dots to realize not mentioning Arvel was the reason for this ordeal.​

Joshua wasn't in the greatest shape when the Hogwarts Monthly was published. Quidditch left him sore all over after his first real game. The pro and con list he created did not foretell how badly he would perform out on the pitch. He acted out against a fear and now he wondering if he regrets trying out in the first place. Taking a copy of the Hogwarts Monthly as he took a seat, Joshua cringed over the headliner. It sounded dull and less exciting in contrast to the rest of the paper. Like he compiled a list and read it off an monotone. Joshua set the monthly down and ate some toast quietly. Sophie did a great job organizing the articles, Joshua wish to do better next time around.

Analei had almost reached Arvel when he turned around, and her heart sank at seeing the look on his face. However, he didn't go to her, he walked right past her and straight to Nixon. Analei quickly followed him, standing back a bit, so as not to crowd him, but there if he needed her. But the blonde couldn't control her temper on hearing Nixon's reply. "No, you're the problem Nixon!" Analei snapped, moving closer to him. "What the hell kind of Hufflepuff are you? You're a disgrace and you're a horrible human being."

Arvel didn't understand. It was as if he and Nixon were talking about two different things - and yet Nixon had to know what Arvel meant. He wasn't just talking about the article. He was talking about everything. Before he could open his mouth to clarify, suddenly Analei appeared at his side, ripping into Nixon like he'd been ghosting her. The blood that had been seconds ago coursing through Arvel's body now drained to his feet. Nixon had been a bit rude, but he hadn't done anything to deserve that - and Arvel still didn't know that it wasn't all his own fault. "No he's not," he said quickly. "It's probably my fault. It doesn't matter. I'm sorry." Who was he even apologising to? Was it Nixon, for the unknown thing he might or might not have done to upset him, or was it Analei, for betraying her after she'd so valiantly stood up for him? He didn't know. He just wanted to diffuse the situation, to be alone somewhere and cry until his heart didn't feel crushed any more.

Stella was so proud of her little sister. Only a first year, and already she’d written a column for the Hogwarts Monthly. Much as she might wish to, Stella herself had very little creative ability when it came to writing. She’d tried to write poems when she was younger, but they’d never lived up to the admittedly high standards she invariably set for herself. Nell’s piece, though, shone with her enthusiasm and her sense of humour. It made Stella smile. Nell should have asked her about the Westwick twins, though; while Stella didn’t know precisely what was going on with them at the moment, she could have at least told her that they were notorious for their spooky matching costumes. Zoe had said Theodore had been grumpy lately, but as far as Stella could tell both twins were always grumpy. She couldn’t understand what Zoe saw in him. Reading on, she also couldn’t see why everyone in the questionnaire was bashing Potions and History of Magic, two of Stella’s favourite subjects. At least Professor Sword had the decency to compliment Professor Pendleton’s wonderful teaching style, although it must be disheartening for her to see the rest of the content of that column. Turning back to Nell’s article, Stella folded the paper, intending to cut it out later to keep.

Nixon did not understand what the problem was, feeling annoyance build in his chest as the scene that was Arvel's emotions unfolded in front of him. Dealing with emotions was difficult for Nixon regularly, but at times where everything was intensified and he wasn't cluing into the underlying reasons it was impossible for him. His instincts were yelling at him to leave, get out of there before things grew further out of hand, and when a girl that could only be Arvel's friend stepped in to insult him, Nixon's mind was fully made up. Scrunching up the paper in his hands, with a deepened frown on his face, Nixon stood from the table. As he threw the paper in his place he looked between Arvel and the blonde girl, not wanting to justify any of their actions with a response and not even knowing how to respond at all. He knew he was a disgrace and an awful human being, reminders of similarly worded realizations creeping into his thoughts at inopportune times because he believed it to be true. Hearing it from someone else however was an experience too overwhelming and dramatic for his liking, and not a moment after Arvel seemed to switch sides Nixon scoffed. "Think whatever you want to think, just don't dare to drag me into your crap ever again." He practically hissed, looking between both Arvel and the girl as it was directed to the pair of them. When he was sure his words had settled in he pushed past them to exit the hall, wanting to forget all that had happened. Staying to see the reactions to his article wasn't worth dealing with the drama Arvel seemed to carry everywhere he went.​

When Arvel spoke next, Analei looked at him, her eyes widening. She knew he didn't like confrontation, but Nixon most certainly was horrible, and he deserved to be called out on it for the way he treated her friend. Analei just stared at him as he apologized, frustrated. Her gaze shot back to Nixon as he stood up, rolling her eyes when he threw the paper down. And he asked Arvel to chill? He was the one being dramatic and mean. Analei was so ready to snap back at Nixon again after his words, he hadn't been dragged into crap, he was the crap. But after being shot down for standing up for Arvel before, she didn't want to say anything else, so she just glared at the boy's back as he exited the hall. Analei kept her eyes on the door, fuming, but not turning to look at Arvel, or saying anything first, or really, having any idea what to say.
So much for that Hufflepuff loyalty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back