Gryffindor First Year Try-Outs

Bruin noticed that most people had returned to the ground and were waiting and wondering what might be next. His first drill had tested Seeking ability, the second had been a Chaser drill, and he wanted to finish off getting an idea if any of the first years might have natural Beater abilities. The art of swinging at a bludger was something that took a great deal of time and effort to perfect and he was quite certain that the first years would struggle a little with the task.

It was hard enough to keep your balance on a broom at game speed, nevermind trying to swing a heavy beater's bat at an oncoming bludger and send it in a good direction for your team. Cyndi, Mike and Bruin had all practiced hard at the Beater position, but Bruin felt it was important that everyone on the team knew and appreciated the skill set and limitations of the other positions.

Bruin pulled out a few Beater's Bats from his quidditch trunk and handed them out to each of the new recruits. He then withdrew his wand and pointed it at a three tennis balls in succession, casting Engorgio! on each one until they had grown to the size of a bludger.

"Alright, I'd like the cubs to head back up above the pitch, spread out and try knocking these practice bludgers at either each other or through the hoops. Two points for hitting a bludger and five if you hit one of the other cubs or knock one through the hoops. The Try-Out is over for you once you've accumulated 10 points." Bruin then turned to the others. "Anyone want to try their hand...or their wand, I suppose, at directing the bludgers around?" He asked with a funny grin.

(OOC-feel free to ask if you are confused)

Aiden listened intently to Bruin's instructions then took a bat and flew up quickly waiting for the large tennis balls to be swung at them Aiden smiled confidently, sure he wasn't the best beater but Keeper was definiatly taken already by Mike.

Bella stood up to leave, it had been a very interesting practise session and extremely entertaining. She stood for a moment watching as the team all flew down to stand by Bruin, obviously waiting for instructions. She didn't think she could remember a time when James had let himself go enough to simply laugh with or at his team mates like Bruin had. James took everything so personally, always at the back of his head thinking 'what would his father do?'

She smiled down from the stand at the group huddled around their captain waiting for further instruction and envied them.
"Right, time to mosey" she glanced back one last time before leaving the stand. She had a lot of class work to catch up on and time was definitely of the essence. As her feet touched the ground Bella smiled, this is what she loved more than anything. Having her feet firmly planted on the ground, not in the air but of course unlike most people, Bella had a genuine reason for prefering to keep her feet on solid ground. With a smile she walked back to the tent, promising herself she must write a long letter to Sakura about the way they held practise sessions here for first years.

Cyndi watched as everyone else came down and gathered around Bruin again. She smiled at all of the first years. They all seemed really talented so far. She didn't know how Bruin would choose who played at what position. She watched as Bruin walked over to a bag and pulled out some bludger bats. Cyndi's smile widened. It was now time to see how the cubs did as beaters.

Cyndi listened as Bruin gave the cubs each a bat and their instructions. When he asked who would want to help direct the bludger-sized tennis balls, Cyndi was one of the first to volunteer. "I will...it'll be good practice for charms" Cyndi said with a laugh as she waited for the cubs to get into place.

Annamarie followed Hollie down to the ground. She joined the group beginning to form around Bruin and listen to the instructions for the next drill. Her face dropped when she heard it was a Beater drill. She was good at avioding things because she was afraid of getting hit. The idea of her people actually trying to hit other people with ball always seem unnessarily violent. Annamarie took the beater's bat from Bruin with a small smile. "Ugh" she moaned. Her arm felt immediately heavy from the weight of the bat.

Annamarie mounted the Nimbus once again and kicked off again. She flew over to an open spot and waited for enlarged tennis ball start flying.

Steph was hovering over Bruins head as he explained what they would be doing next, she quickly got off her fire bolt and ran towards the bats, grabbing one and mounting her broom again,
She flew higher, looking down at the people below and wondering when to start.

Aiden glanced at Steph then looked back at Bruin and the others waiting for this to start. Aiden fiddled with the bat happily, they hadn't had a keeper try out but figured if he didn't make the team this year he would try out for Keeper next year and hopefully kick Mike out of that position.

Bruin tossed one of the enlarged tennis balls to Cyndi and then took one himself. He noticed that the cubs had positioned themselves back above the pitch as he'd asked them to and smiled. At least they follow instructions well, he thought to himself. Bruin pointed his wand at a second practice bludger and muttered Locomotor Bludger Ball!, giving his wand a quick flick in the direction of one of the young Gryffindors. Bruin hoped that Cyndi and the others would send the other practice bludgers up after them to test their mettle.

(OOC - Aiden, you can be back up Keeper if you like...you needn't feel obliged to keep dropping hints :p

As for the rest of you, feel free to assume it was you who I'd targeted with the bludger ball and have some fun smacking them back and forth at each other.)

[OOC: Did Aiden miss that try out or something? If he did thats fine...which ever :D And I don't mean to drop hints, I just couldn't think of anything else to write :p]

Aiden saw that the enlarged tennis ball was coming his way so he flew beside it then hit it behind him hoping one of the others would get it. Aiden flew foward waiting for the next tennis ball to come his way. Aiden smiled eagerly, this really was becoming fun.

Hilary had subconciously flown to the ground with the others. When they started the next drill Hilary called out "I'll take control of one of the bludger balls" She took her wand and mumbled, "locomotor biggus tennis ballus" and the ball started moving. She flicked her wrist a little and the ball sped towards the girl who had introduced herself as Annamarie.

((Hey, should we have the cubs still using the points system? It would just give our beaters to be a chance to try out the unique to beater points... :D Captn' it's up to you... ))))

Hollie mounted her broom again and kicked off into the air after the other first years, with a bat in her hand. She secretly fancied the idea of playing beater; she had always loved rounders back in muggle school and had been one of the better batters. However, it would be very different on a broom, but at least she knew how to hit properly.
I think I might prefer beater to seeker, even! she thought, flying higher and then looking down at the people on the ground. I definitely would hate playing keeper, but a chaser would be alright...
Just has she finished that thought Bruin enchanted one of the tennis balls to fly straight at her! Hollie clasped the bat between her hands, and swung it as the ball came speeding towards her. It flew into the distance with a hard spin. Hollie grinned; hitting was easier on a broom, and that was something she hadn't been expecting! She watched as it flew towards Laura and missed her by inches. Hollie smiled. A bit more work on her aim then; she had the force of her hit sussed.

[[i don't get the points bit for this - Hilary suggested no points? are we doing them then? :huh: ]]

(( LOL, no you didn't miss a tryout because there wasnt one, the old keeper Andy left, and I pmed Bruin asking if I could become keeper,:p

"Thanks Bruin" Cyndi said as she caught the enlarged tennis ball. She muttered, Locomotor tennis ball and flicked his wand toward a group of girls who looked ready for anything. She wondered how many of them actually wanted to be beaters as she watched them swing the bats around.

Hollie watched as Cyndi sent the tennis ball flying at her. She prepared the bat again and swung it with as much force as she could, concentrating on aiming it at the goalposts. She felt reluctant to hit it at one of her friends at this moment in time, so was thrilled when a dull thud confirmed that she'd whacked it into the goal post. Hollie cheered and waited for another ball to come her way.

(I think that Hilary was suggesting that you go back to using the Quidditch Points system as we had been when using the Quaffles.

For example:

Team Name:
Starting Location:
RP what you did...

Action Taken:
Points Used:
Points Remaining:
Finishing Location:

It's up to you all. We will have to use the format above during games, so feel free to experiment with it. As far as when the points you get for this little game...don't forget to give yourself a few points for whenever you hit the bludger, particularly if you manage to hit one through the hoops or one of the others)

Team Name: Gryffindor
Starting Location: NE

Steph hovered watching the others, suddenly she noticed the bludger coming straight for her, she confidently swung the bat, back and forth, when the bludger came close enough she whacked it with all her strenth, sending it flying down the pitch, smiling to herself, she flew towards it.

Action Taken: Hit bludger
Points Used: 30
Points Remaining: 125
Finishing Location: SE

TN: Gryffindor
SL: NE

Hollie waited for another chance to prove herself; she didn't have to wait long. A particularly big-looking tennis ball came hurtling her way; Hollie pulled the bat back and swung it with all her might, smiling as the ball swung away and... she squinted to see who she'd hit, but she couldn't quite make out who the figure was. She could tell, however, that she'd hit their shoulder. Hollie grinned.
"Sorry!" she yelled, "I love you really!"
I guess that's quidditch, she thought, shrugging. But in a real game, I'd at least be aiming at a different house.

AU: Hitting tennis ball at someone
Points used: well, I gained 5 (??? - coz i hit at someone :unsure: )
Points remaining: 187
Finishing location: NE

[[someone please pretend to be the person i hit! lol]]

Team: Gryffindor
Position: First Year Tryouts
Starting Location: NE

Annamarie just hovered around a bit watching the enlarged tennis balls being swung around by her classmate and the older kids. She watched the balls apprehensively. She really didn't know what to do with herself if a ball were to come her way.

Suddenly Annamarie saw a ball headed her dicrection out of the corner of her eye. Doing her best not to panic, she turned herself around to face the on coming object and rised her arm to swing. She could feel a soft thud as the tennis ball made contact with her bat and went flying back toward her classmates.

Action Taken: Hit ball
Points Used: 2
Points Remaining: 48
Finishing Position: NE

(((Okay so I am a tad bit confused here..... so when someone hits the bludger ball at someone/through a hoop are they gaining Quidditch points or are those just like points won in the game... like if you made a basket in basketball..... I think this may need a little clarification....

:D

ANyways here are the locations and points of the players and the last location we'd seen each ball... BB means there is an unresponded too Bludger Ball post to you...

Steph Shirley (2 points)- SE
Annamarie- (2 Points) NE
Hollie Ridley- (9 or 12 points.... depending on reply to last sent bludger)- NE
Aiden- (2 Points)- (No locations)
Laura- (No location)

The last posted location of each of the three BBs (which seem to have become 4....) are:
Started with Cyndi: Hollie hit through goalpost
Started with Bruin: either behind Aiden or beside Laura (maybe Hollie just hit at someone...)
Started with Hilary: Hit by Annamarie heading at the group...

And that was my in put for the night... )))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back