Gryffindor First Year Try-Outs

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
Bruin arrived at the pitch early so he could take his Streak out for a little tour of the pitch. Feeling like the world's first flying Easter Bunny, Bruin suspended a dozen gold foil covered chocolate eggs at various points around the pitch with a hovering charm and then returned to the ground. He removed his Quidditch trunk from the equipment shed and moved it out to midfield where he plunked it down on the grass so that he could sit down on top of it.

Bruin dug in his pocket and pulled out a chocolate egg and proceeded to unwrap it carefully and then plop it into his mouth, enjoying the milk chocolate as he waited for any of the interested first years to arrive. Bruin had returning players at all positions, but did not want to go into the season without some reliable reserves should any other members of the team drop out for any reason.

Bruin was still stinging from the loss of Andromeda, but fortunately Mike had agreed to take a shot at replacing her and he was confident that the former Beater would do a great job guarding the hoops. Today's try-outs would go along way in reassuring Bruin that the Pride was going to be the team to beat this year. A poor turnout, while unexpected, would signal that the future of Gryffindor Quidditch wasn't as bright as he thought it was only a few weeks ago.

Bruin enjoyed the warm feeling of the sun on this otherwise cool late fall morning. He was optimisitic that this would be a good day.

Mike made his way down to the Quidditch Pitch. He had heard, that their would be try outs for first years. Mike saw Bruin, and walked over to him. "Hey Bruin, you alright?" asked Mike. "Just thought I'd come down and give some moral support," Mike said.

Kat had seen the announcement that Bruin had posted on the bulletin board in the common room. Though it said that the try-outs would be for first years, Kat thought that he might need some help and if not then at least she could watch to see what new talent the sorting hat had brought them this year. She grabbed her Scarlett Streak, threw on an old sweatshirt and some jeans, pulled her hair back in a sloppy ponytail and headed for the pitch. When she got there she saw Bruin and Mike had already arrived. "Hey guys!" she said brightly as she got nearer to the both of them. "Didn't know if you'd need an extra set of hands or not Captain so here I am! I'm assuming that's why you're here as well Mike!" Kat added as she took a seat on the cool grass and waited for instructions as for what to do next.

Having seen the notice, Laura had come down to the Quidditch pitch at the first opportunity, mainly because she had expressed a hope of joining the team, possibly as a reserve Seeker or Chaser.

Upon entering, she saw Bruin Dumbledez - everyone knew who he was - and a second year. Laura broke into a run, her face gleaming with excitment.

"Is this for the Quidditch tryouts?" she asked, glancing from one boy to the other.

Cyndi walked down to the quidditch pitch. She knew that it was tryouts for the first years today and Cyndi wanted to watch them try-out. As Cyndi approached, she saw that some of her other teammates had the same idea. "Hey Captain" Cyndi said as she gave Bruin a salute. "Hi Mike. Hi Kat. Just hear to support the Pride" Cyndi took a seat next to Kat, not wanting to be in the way as the try-outs began.

Hilary came down to the pitch, as it was time to see what the first years had to offer. Remembering how buzzing her tryouts had been she wanted to be there with an extra set of eyes, just incase Bruin needed some. But when she came down she saw that actually there were several upper years around and just one of their cubs. As it was still early she didn't worry and instead went over to the small clump of Gryffindors. "Hell all!" she said to the group in general and then as she found her place in the clump she said "Hey Capt'n" obviously adressing Bruin "Just here to give an extra set of eyes." SHe looked down at the wrapper in Bruin's hand and added jokingly "And to steal an extra chocolate egg"

SHe then turned to the lone first year, "Hey Laura, are you excited to try out?" she said with a sweet smile.

Annamarie noticed the message on the board as she was lazing around in the common room. She wasn't necessarily planning on trying-out for the Gryffindor quidditch team but she want to check it out just to see what it was all about. She walked up to the pitch and felt ridiculously unprepared. She did not own a broom or have any clue what position she would want to play if she were to even make the team. Annamarie just wanted to be helpful and useful to her house. She joined the group and stood by her fellow first year Laura. "Hey guys!" she said cheerily.

Harri walked out to the quiditch pitch a spring in her step. She had woken a little later then she would have liked to and had to rush, she knew the tryouts were for the first years but wanted to go down to check out any new talent. She had pulled on a pair of old jeans and too big Gryffindor jumper and ran down to the pitch, her brown hair bouncing in messy waves, firebolt in hand. "Hey guys!" she said grinning as she saw most of the team was already there along with two first years. "Mornin' Captn'" she said to Bruin grinning. "Thought I'd come along, you know support the Pride," she said to everyone.

"Hey Guys, you alright?" Mike asked them all.

Bruin tossed chocolate eggs to each member of the team as they arrived, but barely had a moment to answer any particular question or greeting before the next arrival. This was one thing he loved about his teammates, it truly was a team and he was proud to see that they never missed an opportunity to come out and support one another or even some of the first years during their first try-outs for the team.

Bruin heard a young girl ask if this was the Quidditch try-out and was about to respond when Hilary spoke to her and basically confirmed that it was. Bruin rose from his seated position on the trunk and walked towards her and another first year who had just arrived whom he thought he had met at Gladrags earlier in the year.

"Hi Laura! And Annamarie, isn't it?" Bruin said with a smile. "I'm Bruin and, well, these would be the rest of your future teammates..." He said gesturing to the rest of the Pride. "...assuming everything goes well over the next half hour or so." He added with a grin.

"Basically, I'd just like to get a look at your flying skills today. You can always learn the finer points of the game, but staying on your broomstick at high speeds is pretty much essential." Bruin said as he held up one of the chocolate eggs. "So, I've placed a dozen or so of these little eggs around the pitch. Your first task is to fly around and collect three of them as quickly as possible. Any questions?"

Bruin noticed that Annamarie didn't appear to have a broom. "I've got an old Nimbus 2000 in the shed if you need to borrow a broom." He added with a smile.

(OOC- Laura and Ananmarie can do a quick RP at flying around and collecting some eggs. I have a couple of other things for you to try when you are done. The rest of you can talk amongst yourselves :lol: )

Mike caught the egg, and peeled the wrapper off, munching on the chocolate. Mike rolled the foil into a tiny ball, and popped it in his trouser pocket.

((Holy Schmokes!! Stupid studying has me all slow to respond here :ph43r: <_< =)) ))

Kat smiled as a few of the first years, some whom she knew and others she didn't yet, began to arrive. She could see the look of mixed panic and excitement etched on each face and had to grin because she remembered that exact same feeling. She caught the little chocolate egg that Bruin tossed at her and said sarcastically, "Oh great Bruin...just what I need! A sugar high!" Kat popped the egg in her mouth and said, "Mmmm! Thanks captain!" She then turned her attention back to the first years who were trying out and said cheerfully, "Hey guys! You'll do great!" Kat gave them a quick thumbs up before returning to the conversation that was going on in the group she was sitting with.

Cyndi caught the chocolate egg that Bruin threw. "I thought you'd never offer" Cyndi said with a laugh as she unwrapped the egg and took a bite. Cyndi smiled at the girls who were waiting to try out. "Good luck!" she told them as she turned back to her teammates around her.

Annamarie smiled and nodded as Bruin explained what they were going to be doing. “Thanks!” she replied to Bruin’s offer of letting her borrow the Nimbus. She took the broom and looked around to Laura and the rest of the group. A sudden wave of nervousness rushed over her. What have I got myself into? she thought wildly to herself. She mounted her broom and took a deep breath. It is just golden eggs, it is not like they are snitches. And it is not like I am wanting to be a seeker or anything. she reasoned with herself. She kicked off the ground and shot into the air. The Nimbus 2000 had a little more speed then the Cleansweeps that she had been using in flying lessons. She took a second to gain her bearings and flew once around the pitch keeping her eyes open for any specks of gold. She saw one settled inside the far goal posts, one on the edge of the announcers stand, and one between two beams of wood supporting the stands. She gained speed and prepared to grab the three eggs in one lap. Annamarie reached the announcer’s stand first and grabbed that egg with ease. She was beginning to gain confidence, nothing too bad had happened so far. She decided to go for the one in the goal post next and then try to dive and catch the last one in the beams. She knew that time was important and knew that she didn’t have any time at all to hesitate and think about the dive into the stands. She managed to soar gracefully upwards and grab the egg from the center hoop with no problem at all. Then she leaned forward and held on tight to the broom. The broom shifted downward and she could tell the speed increase. She guided the broom in the direction of the stands and outstretched her hand. She slowed and stopped in front of the crossed beams. She took the egg from its resting place and shoved it into her pocket with the first two she caught. She circled down back to the group smiling and landed with a soft thud. She was quite pleased that she didn’t do anything to embarrass herself. She waited patiently for Bruin to tell her and Laura what to do next.

Hilary caught the chocolate egg with a smile. Before the new cubs starting trying out Hilary wished them good luck. Once Annamarie started, she kept her eyes on her. If Bruin asked their opinions later on she didn't want to make a choice without having watched.

Laura nodded at Bruin's insturctions and kicked off into the air, grabbing an egg that was almost directly above her. This isn't so bad, she grinned to herself, turning and spotting another egg next to the Gryffindor stand.

High speed was required in this task, and luckily Laura loved to go fast on a broom. She bent low on the broom, dodging Annamarie with ease, and grabbed the second egg without effort.

The third egg that Laura planned on grabbing was smack bang in the middle of the pitch. She twisted sharply in midair, and caught the last egg by the tips of her fingers.

Landing again, Laura flicked her windswept hair out of her face, and smiled broadly, holding up the three eggs with pride.

Hollie ran down to the quidditch pitch breathlessely. She had only just got Harri's message about the tryouts, and was desperate to get there on time. Finally she arrived, to see a group of people hurried around a Gryffindor she recognised as Bruin, and two fellow first years there; Laura and Annamarie.
"Hey," she panted, stopping to catch her breath; she had just run from Gryffindor Tower. "Sorry I'm late, I just got the message!" She looked at them pleadingly, hoping that she would still be allowed to try-out.

Harri caught the egg Bruin through at her at ate it happily. She glanced over at Mike, she hadn't spoken to him since he had dumped Ellie and she wasn't planning to any time soon. Ellie had been so upset and then had to leave becuase she had been so run down, she knew arguing would do nothing to help it, especially as they were on the same team. So she decided ignoring him was the best thing to do, she couldn't help but laugh a little as she remembered her conversation with Zuka. "Good luck guys!" she said seeing the two first years go off. "Oh hey Hollie," she said seeing her arrive, she waited thinking Bruin would tell her what to do. "Bit of a poor turnout isn't it?" she said remembering last year when loads of first years had applied.

Mike's eyes connected with Harriets, as did hers, Mike knew that she was angry with him about Ellie. How was I supposed to know about her dad? Mike asked himself. Maybe if I approached the sdituation better, or chose a different time to do it? Oh well, whats done is done, Mike said to himself.

Hollie nodded.
"Right, ok, I thought there'd be loads more people!" she said, confused. "Did you like put a notice in the common room? I only got Harri's." she looked at Laura who was holding three eggs.
"Ok, so what are the eggs for? Have the tryouts officially started yet, or what?"
She was slightly confused, and hoped that someone could explain efficiently.

"Hey there,Im Mike, pleased to meet you" Mike said, extending his hand towards the first year. " There was a notice in the notice board, and to be honest there aren't many first year Gryffindors. Lat year was packed with them. Mike told the first year."What you do is, you do a couple of laps of the pitch, whilst trying to collect a couple of chocolate eggs, after that, fly back to us, and Bruin will tell you what to do next " Mike clarified. "Do you have a broom?, If not you are welcome to lend my scarlet streak, of you'd like" Mike said cheerfully.

((Well there are a few first year gryffindors, but either they havent been on/ left HNZ altogether or read the notice board))

Hollie smiled comprehendingly.
"Ok, sounds fine to me," she said, once Mike had told her what to do. "I'm Hollie by the way" she quickly remembered she hadn't introduced herself. "Also, I was just wondering, what positions are available? I mean, if we were to get through the trials, what position would be perhaps play?" It was an open question meant for anyone.

Hollie felt embarrassed. "Ur, no, I don't have a broom," she muttered. "If I were to get on the team I would make sure I buy one, though."
Drat, I should have bought one! Now I look a complete prawn! she thought, slapping her hand on her forehead. She blushed as Mike offered his own decent broom. "Urm... yes please, if you're sure. Thanks!" She hovered about, waiting to be told what to do. "So, do I just lap the pitch and collect eggs... chocolate, did you say?"

"Yep, thats all you do for now, and it doesnt matter if you don't have a broom, you can always get one later" Mike said smiling. "Well all the positions are taken for now, I think, but we are always in need of substitutions. Anyway, hardly any first years, make the starting team. I didn last year, I applied for beater, but Bruin and Cyndi Weasley were already beaters, but only this year, I became Keeper, I replaced her, but don't worry, theres always hope" Mike said. Mike handed her his streak, with a smile.

Bruin smiled as Mike stepped in and explained things to Hollie. He was also smiling at how efficiently Annemarie and Laura had performed the first task and gave them an encouraging grin as they landed and dismounted (sorry, if you didn't RP doing that).

Bruin turned his attention back to Hollie. "Hi Hollie. I'm Bruin." He said with a friendly smile. "It's pretty much what Mike said." He added simply, giving Mike a playful nudge in the shoulder, essentially thanking him for speaking up as he watched the other two finish their egg gathering. "Why don't you see if you can go and collect three eggs for yourself and then we'll do the next drill."

Bruin turned back to the other two girls. "Feel free to enjoy your eggs while we wait." Bruin headed over and picked up his knapsack and then began passing a couple of tennis balls to each of the current team members with a wink. "Hang on to those, I'll need your help for the next drill."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back