Fifa!

Zoe-Hope Weasley

OOC First Name
Zoey
Wand
Bloodwood Wand 15 1/4
I'm pretty sure that most of the people that use this board are aware that the FIFA world cup is going on right now in South Africa.
I absolutely :wub: soccer/football and I'm curious on other people's thoughts on the games so far. The standings are as follows:

Group A
South Africa VS Mexico was a tied game, 1-1 played on June 11
Uruguay VS France was also a tie game, 0-0 played on June 11

Group B
North Korea VS Greece was a 2-0 Korean victory, played June 12
Argentina VS Nigeria was a 1-0 Argentinian victory, played June 12

Group C
USA VS England was a 1-1 tie game played June 12
Slovenia VS Algeria was a 1-0 win for Slovenia, played June 13

Group D
Germany VS Australia was a 4-0 German win played June 13
Serbia VS Ghana was a 1-0 win for Ghana played June 13

Group E
Netherlands VS Denmark was a 2-0 win for the Netherlands played June 14
Japan VS Cameroon was a 1-0 win for Japan on June 14

Groups F, G and H have yet to play.

For more info on the FIFA tournament, click here.

Personally, I'm going for Greece even though they have lost a game.
I saw both Day 1 games, Greece Vs Korea, USA vs England and Japan vs Cameroon.
I think that Mexico outplayed South Africa, and France outplayed Uruguay. Greece's coah put in a terrible line up, and I thought that England had the game in the bag. Japan has a pretty tough defence and their goalie is way above par compared to Cameroons'.

Any predictions?

I'm watching Italy and Paraguay right now. :D

I've always been interested in Soccer/Football but never made the effort to really get into it. Now I wish I had xD

In fairness Zoe I was content with a 4th minute goal by Gerrard, but then Robert Green goes and makes a complete and utter howler! Being an Everton fan, and after securing Landon Donovan on loan for half of last season, I'd seen him play well, but he was great against England. I think that Heskey should of definitely scored, and perhaps Wright-Phillips, after his chance.

I watched the Spain games yesterday against Switzerland. Defensively, Switzerland did play well, but it didn't help that Spain weren't very attacking until Switzerland were leading. Alonso's shot that rocketed the bar. You don't come much closer than that.

Personally, I would love to see England win the World Cup. Can we? I think so. We didn't get the best of starts to the Competition, but then again we drew our first game in '66 when we won it. So fingers crossed.

I can't see Greece winning it. They face tough competition, with both Argentina and North Korea in their group. They could secure 3 points tonight against Nigeria, but I think Argentina and North Korea will advance in that group.

Germany played well against Australia, but not that it wouldn't have made much difference to the result, but it was not a sending off for Tim Cahill. Agreed? But I don't think Germany will win it. They can come close, but Australia didn't offer much in that game.

Don't forget that NZ and Slovakia drew 1-1

So proud of NZ, their first goal in a world cup ever! :woot:

Unfortunately, I have been too busy to watch any of the games :( But I'm still keeping up with it, and completely going for England :woot:
Don't know why, I should be going for NZ hahaha.

I agree with you Mike, on the Spain vs. Switzerland game. Switzerland put up a tough defense.

England has a fair chance at winning, Green had his slip up but he's still a great goalie.

True, Greece shouldn't make it out of their group, but after a surprising win (which I predicted :p ) against Nigeria yesterday I haven't lost hope with them yet. :)

I find that a lot of teams are playing differently than expected to. I'm watching Slovenia vs USA right now, and Slovenia's putting up a tough game for The States. They're playing better than I expected them to.

Nick: lol is all I can say about that. :p

Did anyone watch the France VS Mexico game? France seemed a bit... Disorganized to me :erm:

But it was funny to see all of their fans in ridiculous outfits looking sad xD

Portugal FTW >D

7-0

Next its Portugal and Brazil!

Me no likey football but I'm constantly hearing all of the match updates as the people in my office have a sweep stake going on...so funny xD

NZ FTW! Come one guys, time to support the underdogs.

First point for NZ in World Cup history? Check :correct:
Not getting crushed by Italy? Check :correct:

I wish I was in New Zealand right now. I imagine the country is in a state of combined shock-slash-celebration. Maybe now people who play soccer will no longer be called 'girl's by the school bullies (true story - funniest moment of my 11 year old life).

OHMYGOSH!! Still in shock, NZ DREW 1-1 TO ITALY. See, we're not just hobbits playing rugby and riding sheep anymore!! Soccer is by far my fav sport, so happy NZ's doing well!

I am not a major fan of football/soccer.
I did watch the England v Algeria match and thought that it was quite painful. England played very badly.
I liked that New Zealand scored against Italy. And I'm really annoyed that France have been playing rubbish.
I wanted South Africa to get through, but *shrugs* pity really. I loved the Portugal match.
I myself hope that Argentina win, they are good.

I am not into football and have no idea how one gets all the cards(hello!i know there is red and yellow!)
But I have decided on supporting Portugal
Looking forward to the upcoming Portugal matches. Go Christiano Ronaldo!!

Veronica White said:
I am not into football and have no idea how one gets all the cards(hello!i know there is red and yellow!)
I SECOND THAT :woot:

I just got into football/soccer cause of my friends =)) who's undecided like me! I just want either USA or PORTUGAL to WIN!

Christiano Ronaldo :wub:

Rafael De La Cruz said:
Veronica White said:
I SECOND THAT :woot:

I just got into football/soccer cause of my friends =)) who's undecided like me! I just want either USA or PORTUGAL to WIN!

Christiano Ronaldo :wub:
Wow! Even I got into soccer because of my friends. My enitre class talks soccer so I thought I'd better choose a team rather than being left out of the fun :p

I watched the USA Vs Algeria game yesterday and MAN! I have never been so into a sport before o.o

I was on the edge of my seat, even though I'm not a big fan of my country and want to leave I couldn't help but support em in that game. Not a goal scored until additional time! Man... Wow @_@

Ok. I have to say the end of that game was just amazing! I was at the gym on the elliptical machine watching it. All of the TVs in that room were on the game too. It was funny to see all these little old women watching the game and asking "Now what is the yellow card for again?" xD And yes, I work out with a bunch of grandmas for the most part because of the time of day that I go. There were a couple of guys next to me and it was hilarious. We all kept picking up the pace as the game got more and more intense and there was a collective cheer as the goal was finally scored. It was so amazing! Soccer (football) is not the top sport around these parts. Where I live, its all about American Football. Specifically Packer football. The reactions in the room would rival a Packer games. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back