Election Debate #2: Education

Victoire could begin to feel the coming relief of the debate being over. She knew she just had to get past the last question and as the woman asked it, it was a rather easy one. Victoire didn't mind doing debates but it was quite a minefield, trying to get your own points across while everyone else was trying to do the same. Trying to avoid saying the wrong thing, or getting too much into it with one of the other candidates. She felt she'd done well, perhaps education wasn't her strongest point, but she felt she'd done enough to get her points across, had given an answer to everything. Victoire noted that no one else started speaking.

"History of Magic was my favourite subject at school," she started with a little smile, "Perhaps not the subject you'd expect from someone whose never experienced any magic prior to the schooling would say, but I'd always loved History when I was at muggle school, so coming into the magical world with its wealth of knowledge about different periods of history that the muggle textbooks just didn't have. A side of history that I'd known nothing about, it was just so much information that I wanted to devour every word of it. The old I got, the more interested I became on the more recent history and the way the different magical bodies around the world interacted and coordinated together, and on the laws around it, which was what drew me into what I've done since I left school. The subject itself, and the course didn't always cover these things but it did cover things that helped me improve my critical thinking skills, helped my revision abilities and was just a really engaging element of my education,"

Rupert felt the now familiar disappointment at the announcement that the debate was almost over. What could be better than the whole nation hearing his voice all at once, likely hanging on his every word as he demonstrated his clear superiority when compared to his opponents. He listened to the last question, silent a moment as he thought back to his own school days. By far the most impactful part of his experience had been the time he had spent with his brother's boyfriends, but Rupert certainly wasn't stupid enough to say so. What was there to say, then? He hardly listened as Fontaine answered, pondering his own experience. Once his time to speak came, Rupert gave a small chuckle as he leaned forward. "I have to admit, this is a bit of a difficult question - my education was quite a bit longer ago than most of my opponents." He said with a cheeky grin, hoping the reminder of his superior experience would serve him well.

Lacing his fingers in front of him on the podium, Rupert continued. "I suppose the subject that most influenced my life looking back was Charms. While it was studying Ancient Runes and History of Magic that directed my interest towards Curse-Breaking, Charms was the area I flourished most in my studies, and the subject that I've found the most useful since. Charms led me to an interest in the shape of a spell, the way spells are constructed and the reasons for said construction. Curse-Breaking takes a lot of creative thinking, in order to deconstruct a spell you don't know the specifics of, often spells from ancient schools of magic we don't necessarily have a full understanding of. That familiarity with the theory of magic itself has served me well time and time again, and instilled within me a deep love of the academic side of spellcasting." He smiled as he leaned back, leaving space for the next speaker.

Briar missed the previous question. she was going to say something about adding more vocational training but missed her chance. the next one made her think. it wasn't political at all. more personal. and somehow that was harder. her schooling had been so long ago. she couldn't really remember specific classes. there was an obvious answer. Care of magical creatures. that had been her favourite. but the course at school hadn't really influenced her plan seeing as she had arrived as an eleven year old with a vary unique background in magical creatures. "The education offered at school happens a lot more than inside the classroom. in answer to your question it depends on what impact you are looking for. the obvious answer, the subject I did best in and enjoyed the most, the one that my career has closest followed was care of magical creatures. the subject that I use the most would have to be charms, and the subject that changed my initial view on magic as something to be avoided was flying. [/B] she said. pausing for a second "but I think the far greater impact has been from the things outside the classroom. two professors in particular came to life. my head of house, who inspired me right from the get go. When I was in fifth year she made me prefect. I had never been a good student, I struggled in classes and I certainly had broken my fair share of rules. but she must have seen something in me. some leadership skills or something I didn't know I had." she said. wondering if professor Kingsley was listening somewhere. "a year later she was there to support me when one of the most traumatic events in my life occurred. standing by me when I didn't know who I could trust and again having faith in me that I didn't" She continued. "The other professor who impacted me most was my care of magical creatures professor. Professor Margera. an incredible man who unfortunately died far too soon. after learning about my past that I was kicked out years earlier for what I am he welcomed me into his. and that kindness has defiantly been one of the biggest influences in my life. showing me what family could be. should be. it seems like we have come full circle. the subject that had the biggest impact on my life was care of magical creatures. even if the impact was not obvious one." she finished. looking at the other candidates and the crowd hoping that she hadn't gone off on too much of a tangent.

For some reason, Ava found this question's answers the most interesting. Maybe it was because it was a bit more personal, an insight to what they could be like as people, and not just what they wanted to change about the world. As the timer ran out, Ava stepped up again. "And that is the timer indicating we have come to an end of today's debate. Thank you to the candidates, for your time and discussions today. Thank you to the team for setting today up, and thank you to you, the listeners for tuning in on deciding who will help shape our future."

OOCOut of Character:
This debate is now finished, thank you to the candidates for participating, and to you for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back