Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 10 1/2 Inch Whippy Larch Wand with Vampire Blood Core
Okay, I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know a lot about modern books (as a teenager I stuck very much to 19th century literature, for better or for worse) so I had to do a bit of digging to find books I thought hopefully sound interesting to you guys! And would hopefully interest me too, of course. I'm linking the goodreads descriptions, but as said before, be wary of spoilers and the like.

The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi by Shannon Chakraborty
483 pages
A pirate swashbuckling adventure on the Indian ocean, set during the 12th century. Lady pirates, magic, and the like. It's one of those 'one last job' stories, if you know what I mean by that. It’s the first of a planned trilogy that hasn’t been finished yet, so I’m not sure if that’s a deal-breaker but that’s some information you might want to know in advance.

Shannon Chakraborty, the bestselling author of The City of Brass, spins a new trilogy of magic and mayhem on the high seas in this tale of pirates and sorcerers, forbidden artifacts and ancient mysteries, in one woman’s determined quest to seize a final chance at glory—and write her own legend.

Amina al-Sirafi should be content. After a storied and scandalous career as one of the Indian Ocean’s most notorious pirates, she’s survived backstabbing rogues, vengeful merchant princes, several husbands, and one actual demon to retire peacefully with her family to a life of piety, motherhood, and absolutely nothing that hints of the supernatural.

But when she’s tracked down by the obscenely wealthy mother of a former crewman, she’s offered a job no bandit could refuse: retrieve her comrade’s kidnapped daughter for a kingly sum. The chance to have one last adventure with her crew, do right by an old friend, and win a fortune that will secure her family’s future forever? It seems like such an obvious choice that it must be God’s will.

Yet the deeper Amina dives, the more it becomes alarmingly clear there’s more to this job, and the girl’s disappearance, than she was led to believe. For there’s always risk in wanting to become a legend, to seize one last chance at glory, to savor just a bit more power…and the price might be your very soul.

The September House by Carissa Orlando
344 pages
I love a good haunted house story and this apparently is one of them (according to a few reviews anyway). If you want a spooky option, this is it. (It’s never too early for spooky imo).

A woman is determined to stay in her dream home even after it becomes a haunted nightmare in this compulsively readable, twisty, and layered debut novel.

When Margaret and her husband Hal bought the large Victorian house on Hawthorn Street—for sale at a surprisingly reasonable price—they couldn’t believe they finally had a home of their own. Then they discovered the hauntings. Every September, the walls drip blood. The ghosts of former inhabitants appear, and all of them are terrified of something that lurks in the basement. Most people would flee.

Margaret is not most people.

Margaret is staying. It’s her house. But after four years Hal can’t take it anymore, and he leaves abruptly. Now, he’s not returning calls, and their daughter Katherine—who knows nothing about the hauntings—arrives, intent on looking for her missing father. To make things worse, September has just begun, and with every attempt Margaret and Katherine make at finding Hal, the hauntings grow more harrowing, because there are some secrets the house needs to keep.

The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
273 pages
Psychological thriller, possibly more well-known for the movie based on it. I bought this one a while back and didn’t get round to reading it. Kind of a modern classic, thought it might be interesting if people haven’t read it before to see what the style is like (I’ve never read Patricia Highsmith). Also technically part of a series, but I’m told the plot for each novel is standalone.

It’s here, in the first volume of Patricia Highsmith’s five-book Ripley series, that we are introduced to the suave Tom Ripley, a young striver seeking to leave behind his past as an orphan bullied for being a “sissy.” Newly arrived in the heady world of Manhattan, Ripley meets a wealthy industrialist who hires him to bring his playboy son, ****ie Greenleaf, back from gallivanting in Italy. Soon Ripley’s fascination with ****ie’s debonair lifestyle turns obsessive as he finds himself enraged by ****ie’s ambivalent affections for Marge, a charming American dilettante, and Ripley begins a deadly game.

“Sinister and strangely alluring,” (Mark Harris, Entertainment Weekly) The Talented Mr. Ripley serves as an unforgettable introduction to this smooth confidence man, whose talent for self-invention is as unnerving—and unnervingly revealing of the American psyche—as ever.

And there you go! I hope at least one of those sounds appealing. Poll will be open for 7 days, so get in quick. Once the book is chosen, we have two months to read and discuss the book (which I'll actually do this time, nothing like being the host to finally motivate me lol).

React/discuss at your own pace. All of us are differing levels of busy and differing levels of how much we can read at once, so remember to use spoilers for spoiler-related content so you don't spoil for others! Please be respectful in this regard.

Site rules apply to all discussions. Be aware that books may contain mature themes or language.

The current book club leader schedule is as follows;
Jan/Feb - Cyndi
Mar/Apr- Rowan
May/Jun- Mia
Jul/Aug- Sarah

Sep/Oct- Kadi
Nov/Dec- Daphne
Anyone keen to take the lead in future should let Cyndi know!

I'm not even in the book club but I'll join in if it's Talented Mr Ripley :r

I went for the spooky choice because I also love a haunted house story though I've always been curious about The Talented Mr. Ripley so would be equally happy to read that one too.

I'm not even in the book club
Not really something you have to be in consistently, if you wanna read one of the books you should!

I'm gonna have to have a think about this one before I vote, v interesting options! (I don't think HNZ's censorship filters liked the summary of the last one very much though :r )

I am absolutely voting for The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi for a couple of reasons.
1 it sounds awesome, pirates and magic, adventure
2: I loved the city of brass by the same author.
3,: it looks like it is the easiest available at my library (the audiobook currently has no wait)
4: I am not particularly a big fan of thriller or horror stories.

I'm not even in the book club but I'll join in if it's Talented Mr Ripley :r
there isn't really an in or out for book club. just join in and read when there is a book you fancy.

Okay, sorry for being a day late, I got mixed up a bit but it's a tie! So, because I held off my vote in case of this, my vote will be the tie breaker and for July/August we will be reading...

The Talented Mr Ripley! :party:

Apologies to Mia, who I now know doesn't particularly like horror or thrillers. I'll keep that in mind if this book club continues to next year to do a bit more variety with my options. And feel free to join in @Aine Thompson if you want! The book club is always open, even if you dip in and out a bit (or just dip in once, it's all good). I've already got my copy, so I should start reading fairly soon. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

I put in my hold just in case it won, and I should have the book...in 6 weeks xD It's frequently much quicker than stated so I'm hoping I have it by the end of the month though I'm going into the library this week and will see if there's a physical copy available.
if this book club continues to next year
That's the plan! If anyone wants to lead a two month period next year, PM me and I'll start a list!

Just picked up a copy from the local bookstore, hopefully it'll a) encourage me to take lunch breaks and read b) hopefully get me around to my pile of reading which also includes Strangers On A Train, lol.

Just picked up a copy from the local bookstore, hopefully it'll a) encourage me to take lunch breaks and read b) hopefully get me around to my pile of reading which also includes Strangers On A Train, lol.
Yay for reading! I hope it does help encourage you. I'll be starting soon, I just got the motivation to go get it out of one of my tubs of books (I should get more shelves but in the meantime, yes, I store most of my books in plastic tubs).

I somehow missed this topic during the voting time but I'm very curious about the book! Will try to pick it up soon.

I forgot to vote but I'm excited how this one turned out! I started the book last night but I haven't read much so far, fell asleep straight away bc it was like 4 am lmao

I'm about halfway through, probably going to finish it on the drive home from this day trip. Fascinating read so far, also going to watch the movie once I'm done.

Okay, finished it. (I read absurdly fast when I have the right time and place for it). Thoughts under spoiler.

Tom Ripley is so fascinating to me as a character. I love how he's this constant calculated veneer and always scheming and planning and yet, by the same token, nearly always flying by the seat of his pants to desperately keep one step ahead. I sympathise with his envy and desire to be more than he is. I am keen to see the movie, I know it kind of goes into Tom's sexuality a bit more though the book certainly puts some time into the obsessive desire aspect of his actions. But wow, what a character.

I found a copy in a little free library near me so I was able to get started today. The copy I have has Matt Damon on the cover xD.

Has anyone seen the movie? Is it worth a watch after I finish the book?

I found a copy in a little free library near me so I was able to get started today. The copy I have has Matt Damon on the cover xD.

I haven't seen the movie so I can't say, but I did see there's now also a very recent mini series on Netflix that I might watch after I've finished it.

I'm about 25% of the way in and I find it very interesting, being in this guy's mind is wild sometimes.

I’ve finally started the book- will check back in in a few days

I really enjoyed the movie, maybe more than I'm enjoying the book? I'm not sure. But I'm finding the book more interesting in terms of Tom's character, because you get to see his thought processes a bit more.

I'm about halfway through now. I'll put a spoiler for my thoughts just in case, though I don't spoil anything that happens, I more talk about how I feel about the writing style itself.

I've found it a bit sparse in places, like I'd like it to go further into details but it doesn't. The prose is quite restrained, and I guess that's to show how Tom views the world - the book feels very much like a character study first and then plot second, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I strongly prefer character-driven over plot-driven. But yeah, something's a little bit off for me that I can't quite put my finger on and I almost think that's on purpose. Like, the author almost wants you to feel this way. Like that 'emptiness' is part of Tom's character. I don't know, this could just be me, I'd like to hear what others think.

Honestly Sarah I think you described exactly why I've been struggling a bit with it. I'm at about 60% now and I really have to force myself to keep going. It's not that it's not interesting, but something about it makes it hard to power through for me? I do think you're right that it's a bit on purpose, but it's been tough!

This guy's thought process is also so weird/interesting to read from, because I can't tell how much he's fooling anyone. At times he seems overly confident and other times overly paranoid and I can't tell how others are perceiving him.

I've finished it!

I'll admit by the time voting ended I'd completely forgotten all about everything and wasn't even sure what the book was about when I picked it up. This one did take me a bit to read, I had some trouble getting into it. There were a few times- like when Tom put on ****ie's clothes and was pretending he'd killed Marge- that I cringed so hard I had to walk away for a bit. But once Tom murdered ****ie and took his identity it got a hell of a lot more interesting. I can see why it won awards- honestly Tom was so creepy through a lot of it, but also somehow relateable? Like ****ie was being a total jerk before he died... it was weird to see it all through Tom's eyes, and I'd actually be really interested in seeing a movie. Like obvs murder is never okay, and it was just worse when Freddie died too, but it made me really curious. A book through the eyes of a murderer... it was actually pretty good, solid three and a half, four stars. (I also really didn't like Marge for some reason)

It's funny the things that make it harder to read for some people make it really compelling for me :r

I really enjoyed Lolita for a similar reason, you're reading it all through the eyes of someone desperately justifying their own (extremely questionable) morality and not getting a good read on what everyone around them is actually thinking. I do find Tom Ripley more fascinating than Humbert Humbert though because he's more manic, a little more aware that what he's doing is wrong but that he's in far too deep to stop. Like yeah, he plans and schemes but a lot of the action is driven by impulse and having to take steps to cover his tracks in panic. Plus I found myself sympathising with Tom a little from time to time, mostly because of the whole feeling of inadequacy and the fact that he's so ready to completely give up on the identity of Tom Ripley to be someone 'important'. (Could never sympathise with Humbert, though). Maybe that just says something about me, haha.

Watched the movie with Matt Damon, not a fan

OK I've finished the book.

My thoughts will be in the spoiler.

I had some trouble getting through the book but in the end I did enjoy it, seeing the world through Tom's eyes was really interesting. I found it very funny how I could never tell if he really was fooling people or if he was being overconfident, but I guess he did! I kind of figured he would get away with it because there are more books, but I still expected it to be more difficult. It was a very interesting book.

Like, the author almost wants you to feel this way. Like that 'emptiness' is part of Tom's character.
Definitely, not just you. I also feel this. It makes for an intriguing read, for sure, because you're seeing everything from his viewpoint.
I saw Jess' comment about not liking Marge, and I wonder if that's partially because we're seeing her through Tom's eyes and he doesn't think highly of her wnd would prefer her gone. That's the sense I get when I think about her character.

also, yes! Him putting on ****ie's clothes was creepy!
I am just a little past him murdering ****ie.

I've finished the book. Generally, I agree with everyone else's feedback. It was a solid read.

I didn't realize it was the first part of a series, so I kept looking for him to get caught and was a bit shocked when he got away with everything. I thought for sure the will was pushing his luck. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back