OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Nicolas had owled ahead to Sakura's parents, though most specifically Daniel, asking if he could meet with them on the coming Saturday at their home. It was his day off, and he stated that he should like to speak with him about something which needed to be done in person. He received a reply stating that this would be fine fairly quickly, and he wondered at whether Daniel had honestly agreed to the meeting, or if Chloe had instructed him that he should. In his letter, Nicolas ensured to make no reference to the specific business he would tend to, and he was sure to tell Sakura he would be busy that Saturday and possibly unable to see her, though what he was doing he left unsaid and allowed her to assume whatever she might.

On the day he had arranged to meet with Daniel, Nicolas ensured he was wearing presentable wizarding clothing, nothing that he would normally where to work but not something he would go out to a formal dinner in, either. He apparated from outside his home in New Zealand to the outer gate of The Heron's Perch, Sakura's childhood home. He opened the gate, smirking as its creek announced his arrival, then approached the door, knocking on it politely, though needlessly with the creek of the gate, before standing back and waiting to be greeted and welcomed in.

Since the arrival of Nicolas King's message Daniel was on tender hooks, he had kept himself extremely busy at the hospital but kept pretty much to himself while at home. Until of course Amos told him to cop himself on and stop worrying about it and Chloe had said it could be in relation to anything at all. Daniel was no fool though and his first thoughts had directed him back to the day he had requested an audience with Amos. The man had been an insufferable bore, pigheaded and obstinate but he had eventually consented and Daniel had left this very house, the very room he paced in now to breath in the brazing briny sea air and smile at the direction his life had turned.

He wondered just what reception he should give the man and glanced furiously at the door as Mimsy entered muttering under her breath. He scolded her for her rude interuption but she merely informed him that THE master of the house had required of her to retrieve something. He barked at her to hurry up when the loud creak of the gate echoed about the house. Coughing loudly to himself he wondered if he had done the right thing in sending Chloe off for the day shopping. No, the letter had specifically said to meet with himself. He would divulge all to her later. Just once Amos didn't go bursting into the room anytime soon. Tempted as he was to pull back the curtain and watch him walk to the house, Daniel didn't. Instead he went and sat in his usual chair, preparing his pipe with shaking hands.

The knock on the door announced him and Mimsy opened it swiftly. She had the most mischievous of grins on her face. Now delighted to see the man who set the hackles of Daniel Gemini on a high. She greeted him as warmly as she possibly could without gushing ridiculously offering to take his robe before showing him to the drawing room. Swiftly leaving once more she left the men alone. Daniel stood up and extended his hand as in two strides he stood before Nicolas King. His grip attempted to determine which of them was the stronger man before huffing slightly and releasing the younger mans hand.

"Take a seat Nicolas, Mimsy will bring in some tea and then we can ... talk".

As Mimsy opened the door for Nicolas he thanked her kindly and took note of how pleased she seemed to be to see him. Having gotten to know Mimsy over Christmas, and from what Sakura had told him, Mimsy being so happy over Nicolas' arrival was a sure sign that somehow, Nicolas' arrival was not something Daniel was looking forward to. His stomach lurched a moment, thinking of the worst case scenario for the day, but then he forced his mind off of it. Surely that situation wasn't possible, and even if it did happen it wouldn't change much in the grander course of things, would it? Nicolas could still go on with things as planned, it just wouldn't be in exactly the way he might have hoped.

Taking off his cloak he allowed Mimsy to take it, and thanked her with a smile, before he followed in to the cloak room and saw Sakura's father sitting in a chair. Nicolas stood still a moment, greeting him as "Mr. Gemini," (again, erring on the safer side of things), before taking the seat indicated to him. "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me today. I know I contacted you with fairly short notice, but this isn't something that's just come to mind spurr of the moment, I assure you."

The man was insufferably polite and Daniel found he had no armour against that at all. If he had even gone so far as to call him Daniel he could have acted put out but Nicolas King had either been trained by his parents to be respectful always or Chloe and / or Sakura had given him some pointers on how to conduct himself around him. Mimsy entered and laid the tray with tea on it for both of them, clicking her fingers and having the cups filled instantly before she chuckled to herself on leaving again.

Daniel fumed as she did so, she had obviously caught the end of what Nicolas had said.
"Well don't beat about the bush then... get on with it" he blustered reaching for his own cup and passing Nicolas his.
"Do you take milk... sugar?" he enquired indicating both on the tray then turning swiftly he glanced towards the window. Mumbling an excuse he rose from his seat put his cup and saucer back down and walked to the window. Of course there was nothing there but the more he stalled for time the better he felt about all of this. He had a fair idea what Nicolas wanted after all or a fair idea of who he wanted and Daniel had no intention of making it easy for him. He pretended to mutter at some children, banging on the window to clear them off before walking back to his seat once more.

"Now where were we? ah yes... milk? sugar?" arsenic?

Nicolas watched as Mimsy re-entered the room, her temper setting Daniel off to be ill tempered again. Perhaps he should have come another day, Nicolas mused to himself as Daniel urged him to get to the point of his coming. Glad that he would not be ruining any rare good mood of Daniel's with his business (which he trusted that Daniel would find more than unpleasant) Nicolas nodded. "Certainly," he began, preparing himself mentally to discuss what he had come to as Daniel interrupted him again. "Milk, please" Nicolas started, but just as quickly as he had interrupted Nicolas, Daniel was off mumbling about something or rather and banging on his window at children who likely didn't exist at all.

Nicolas smiled toward Daniel as he returned his attentions to Nicolas and his mind to sanity. For the moment, at least. Nicolas chuckled as the question was repeated and he spoke again. Clearer this time. "Milk. Please." He stated, accepting the cup of tea as it was prepared for him and then thanking Daniel for it. Taking a sip, Nicolas nodded, before setting it down beside him. "What I've come here today for..."

Oddly enough Nicolas had not determined yet which words he would use to convey his message to Daniel. He had decided everything else. That he would speak to Daniel at all, even, and ran through all the rest of the occasion in his mind - but the exact words hadn't even been thought of, much less rehearsed. This situation was entirely new to Nicolas, and made him feel quite ridiculous, sitting opposite a man who held very little influence in the grand scheme of things, and would ideally have very little effect on Nicolas' life on the whole, but still feeling as absurdly nervous as he did. "I am in love with your daughter, Mr. Gemini." Nicolas began, figuring that this might be the best way to start though, knowing what he did of Daniel, also figuring that no way would be a good way to start. "I think it only proper to inform you of my intention..." Nicolas stopped this train of thought. Informing Daniel of an intention seemed very much like a shut case. "...that I should like to marry her." Nicolas corrected himself and continued on, giving very little pause after this statement, so that Daniel couldn't comment on how 'proper' would not have been to 'inform' but to 'ask' or that one could not have the 'intention' to 'like to', or any other such nonsense. "I would also like your blessing, as her father, that I may have her, if she would have me."

Daniel's fingers drummed on the arm rest wishing he was any where else but here. He began envisioning Nicolas as an ogre trying to whisk his little princess off into the great unknown and bristled considerably. He had to listen as this man, a virtual stranger until a few short months ago spoke about loving his daughter. Daniel glowered as effectively as he could at the man which was enough to send most anyone for cover but he had a feeling that nothing would dissuade the head of the auror department from continuing on with his pursuit of Daniels baby girl.

He bristled again at the man's choice of words and wanted to cut in then and there but Nicolas carried on. 'Inform me will he?' Daniel fumed but it was all taken out of his will as he heard the distinct sound of his wife clapping and actually giving a delightful squeal from the other side of the door before there was silence. So he wanted to marry her... there were plenty of good things going for the man that was true but in Daniel's opinion there were also a stack of cons there.

"Thank you" it pained him to even say it but if Chloe was still ear dropping outside the door he had to put up some sort of show. He should have remembered to muffle the room.
"for coming to ask my permission, not many would show that level of respect nowadays so it is appreciated" Daniel had made sure to get in the word he would have preferred Nicolas to have used instead, "many I suppose see it as old school but then again you are of an older generation much like myself."

He appeared to ponder for a moment but began speaking once again before giving Nicolas a chance to do so.
"You will understand if I am weary though. This is my only daughter and it was highly publicized here about the murder of your predecessor. I would not like to hear that my only child is widowed so young in life."
On the contrary, Daniel knew if or when according to Nicolas they got married he for one would be only delighted to hear that news. "Are you so confident that she will... have you?"

Nicolas watched Daniel's initial reaction. It wasn't the explosive one that he figured was possible, but it was something to watch, to be sure. Nicolas eyes turned to the door as he heard the sounds of who he assumed to be Chloe, Mrs. Gemini, on the other side, evidently pleased at what she had heard. If she was pleased, Nicolas was confident that Daniel would be unable to deny his approval, and his blessing. He hid away the grin that he wanted to display with this thought and maintained the simple polite smile that he had borne so far.

Nicolas turned his attention back to Daniel as he spoke once more. As Daniel seemed to choose his words very carefully and precisely, aware now who exactly was in his audience. Nicolas picked up on the choice of the word 'ask' and scoffed at it inwardly. Nicolas had surely and intentionally not asked. Asking would imply an option that was not there. The possibility that he wouldn't proceed at all. Unless he was dead before he could propose, Nicolas was sure of that one event in his near future, regardless of the outcome of the day.

Dead. When Sakura's father continued to speak Nicolas was forced to consider something he'd never thought of before. He led a dangerous life, and death was something he faced regularly, something that he overcame often but the possibility persisted that the day would come, at any time, when death would not be so easily defeated. What then? What then for Sakura? Was that the type of life a man who had a family of his own could lead? Was it something Nicolas could give up for a family? Should he? All the thoughts flooded his mind as he nodded, the smile fading a moment. "Of course I can understand that." Nicolas mind continued on a moment during a pause which caused Nicolas to speak up once more. Daniel's point was valid, but not with its fatal flaw. "However, I am sure you understand, as a man, that life is not lived in the fear of what could happen, but only in the hopes of much better things. Living with worries and fears of possibilities might as well cause one's death at that moment. They've nothing to live for any longer." Nicolas hoped this made sense. He didn't need to rebut Daniel's point, but he couldn't allow it to stand as a strike against him, and the rationalization was as much for himself as for Daniel.

With the next question, Nicolas smiled once more. This was one of the easiest, simplest, questions that could be asked in the moment. Nicolas closed his eyes a moment and inhaled, imagining Sakura's radiant face in his mind's eye, before opening his eyes again. "Mr. Gemini, if I didn't think she would have me, I surely would not be wasting your time here this morning."

Daniel thought the man had an overly pompous view of himself, he was much too confident and not for the first time he wondered what his daughter saw in the man. Of course Sakura was no saint herself and had a temper that outshone his own at times, she was also stubborn as a mule. He wondered if Nicolas knew the not so sparkling attributes of his daughter and felt it only his right to inform the man of the entire package he hoped to obtain. Surely Chloe if she was listening couldn't fault him for that?

At Nicolas's rather grand little speech on fear and living which unfortunately Daniel had to concede to he merely humphed settling himself back in his seat. And then the cherry on the cake as if Nicolas had been waiting for the very opportunity to say those words. So he was secure with her affections for him? Pondering a moment he placed his cup down and settled back into the chair once more.

"I see many men who live day to day, for their families and for their work. I spend quite some time healing many of these people who refuse to have a healthy dose of fear. For it is needed in all of us otherwise we'd all be going about doing stupid ridiculous things... like, like entering triwizard tournaments and ... and.." Sakura would never live that one down especially after Cedric, "taking off to Bulgaria, becoming an auror" dating one...
"I am not only keenly aware how short your attachment to my daughter could end up being but I am also acutely aware how short her own could be. She is very willful Nicolas. The urge to be in the thick of danger seems to push her constantly. She has a nose and a knack for it, always has. I love my daughter dearly but she is stubborn."

He smiled sure that he was painting a rather lurid picture of his daughter that would cause Nicolas to rethink his proposal.

Nicolas watched Daniel's reactions to his words. Slightly negative reactions, Nicolas now figured, were positive for him. For instance, forcing Daniel to sigh or humph or change his position awkwardly could be construed as good, as Daniel was likely coming to terms with having to give away his only daughter. So, as Daniel humphed and set his cup down in preparation to speak once more, Nicolas held his gaze and kept his smile, hoping that this meeting might conclude soon enough.

Nicolas' inner dialogue mocked Daniel and rolled its eyes with his words. Obviously Nicolas knew fear quite well, and he didn't even feign belief that fear was not necessary. Why else, then, was felix felicis so dangerous? Nicolas decided not to revisit this point with Daniel. It was useless and had nothing to do with why he had come that day, in all honesty. He simply wanted Daniel's blessing before he went on with things. Why, he didn't know. He didn't imagine it was something Sakura would be much bothered by either way, and it wasn't something Nicolas found himself morally obligated to do, but it was something he was doing nevertheless. Perhaps this could be an olive branch to Daniel. Perhaps that had been its intention. Obviously Daniel Gemini had no interest in peace talks.

As Daniel pointed out the few faults his daughter held prominently, less her readiness to explode on a dime, Nicolas shook his head. He'd sorted this with Sakura recently, as well. If he wasn't aware of faults, he certainly shouldn't be ready to marry her, and if he thought her to be perfect, she would be too grand an ideal for him to even think of attaining or deserving in any way. That's not to say, of course, that he thought himself particularly deserving of her at all, but if she was a perfect being (or at least one in his eyes) that sense would be far off skew and any relationship between them would surely be strained in that knowledge. "I have my faults, too, Mr. Gemini, and Sakura accepts them just as I accept hers. I don't see our relationship being as short lived as you imagine it could be."

For some bizarre reason images of himself sitting where Nicolas was sitting now came unbidden to his mind and he frowned. This was not what he wanted to picture, annihilation of the man possibly but how could he even try to do that when he was seeing himself in his very place many years ago, quite literally telling Amos Diggory that he wanted to marry his daughter. This instantly brought a smile to his face and he could careless what Nicolas construed by that. He had not bothered to ask either, sure of how he felt for Chloe and definite about her feelings for him. Nothing not even the formidable Amos was going to stand in the way of their happiness.

He felt like the biggest hypocrite ever as he looked across at Nicolas again but a man's daughter was a man's daughter and he could clearly see where Amos was coming from that day when he had practically ordered Daniel to leave his home and not to take his daughter with him. Both of them had laughed of course, Chloe and he when he had related the account back to her after proposing. She hadn't felt at all bad about going against her fathers wishes on the matter and he knew exactly where his beautiful daughter got her strong character from. With parents such as hers, she really hadn't stood much of a chance in the meek and mild department.

Sitting up he coughed lightly.
"I won't detain you much longer, you obviously have your mind made up on this. If it is my permission you are seeking for her hand then..." could he really tell the man to fly? A deathly silence from the other side of the door told him otherwise but his conscience had already spoken. He loved his daughter dearly and her happiness was all he had ever hoped to obtain.
"Will you make her happy man?" the question came out of him hastily, as if he had literally just chanced upon it and would have it spoken. If her own father had worked all his life to ensure her happiness he was damned just going to hand her over to any man who would not attempt the very same.

Nicolas waited anxiously as Daniel spoke once more. He wanted nothing more than to be able to know Sakura's family approved of their upcoming engagement and that he could leave that place. Nothing more, less Sakura herself, of course. Then, Daniel's sentence was cut off by his question. The question seemed like another where Nicolas could simply state that if he didn't believe so, he would not be there, or that he felt he already was, or any other such statement. However, he determined that this one deserved and needed a proper answer. "I will," Nicolas began with a nod, "Her happiness and security will certainly be my chief business, Mr. Gemini." He elaborated, hoping this might put the man's mind to ease slightly and conclude their meeting amiably, though one could never know.

It was ridiculous but Daniel believed him, he wished he didn't and he certainly wished he had reason for hexing the man but Nicolas King's words reassured him no end. It wasn't just that he said the words that every father wanted to hear but the sincerity was there punctuating each word. Standing up slowly from his seat he took a step towards Nicolas. This was a huge deal for him and one he did not think he did lightly at all.

Extending his hand to the man who would be his son-in-law, he even smiled slightly. This wasn't for appearances though as there was no one else in the room. This thought made him stop a moment and glance up at some of the portraits who instantly looked as if they were busy looking off in the other direction. Returning his attention to Nicolas he huffed just a little.

"You have my blessings and if my wife" he stared at the door rolling his eyes a little, "were here, she would wish me to convey the same for herself. I do truly hope that you will do as you have said. Now I know you are a busy man, so will not detain you any longer."

As Nicolas saw Daniel rise from his seat he did similarly, unsure if he had managed to convince him or if he was still settled on the answer which he surely desired to give. He'd had one somewhat valid point, at least, and for a girl like Sakura, perhaps even one slight strike against a man was good enough? Nicolas certainly hoped not, but he could see it unfolding in either way at the moment. Normally he could have just looked at Daniel and determined his emotions, even if they were buried, but Nicolas' emotional attachment to the situation prevented this, and his own beliefs prevented him from looking in to Daniel's mind to see the outcome before it came.

Nicolas reached out and took Daniel's hand, shaking it firmly and returning the smile. This gesture, however, left even more unease in Nicolas. A smile? Perhaps there had been something else Nicolas hadn't picked up on and he'd blown it. 'No matter,' he started to tell himself, finding it unfortunate that he would leave unsuccessful but still confident that Sakura would have him, regardless of her father.

When Daniel spoke at last Nicolas was taken aback. It had certainly not been the outcome he had expected at all, and he smiled foolishly before reigning it back in and nodding. "Thank you. I mean to keep my word, I assure you." Nicolas began, recollecting his own father's statements that a man's word was 'the essential value to his being' and that 'any man who throws away his word throws himself away with it'. Turning to leave now, Nicolas stepped toward the door of the drawing room, placing his hand on it he turned back a moment before deciding there was little, if anything, left to say, and pulling the door open to leave.

Daniel stood a moment longer after Nicolas' reassurance and then before the door was opened fully he felt the overwhelming need to sit down. He looked no further in the direction of the man who loved Sakura but turned his gaze to the fireplace instead and though the day was cool enough he picked up his wand and flicked it at the grate, so as to watch the orange flames dance brightly before him. His mind now lost in thought he did not hear the gentle applause of his wife as the door opened.

She was still on the other side of course, having heard every word and as soon as she saw Nicolas she smiled brightly delighted for the man. She herself had always known as soon as she had seen her daughter and this man together, though of course she worried, she had seen the love they had for one another and had been thrilled by it. Now she opened her arms to her future son-in-law and not giving him much of a chance she embraced him warmly.

"I'm so happy for you both" her voice was kept low though it really wasn't necessary at this point, releasing him from her embrace she continued to smile warmly, "have you decided on when you will ask her?" she enquired clasping her hands to her chest quite obviously overcome with happiness.

Nicolas barely had time to recognize that Sakura's mother was by the door still, or that she was clapping to herself for joy, before he was in her embrace. He chuckled slightly and returned the kindly hug before straitening back up and listening to her as she seemed ready to erupt from joy, but kept her tone hushed. Perhaps for the sake of Daniel, who was still in the other room. Nicolas smiled and said "Thank you," with the primary sentiment, though when the next question came up he shook his head. "I'm not sure yet. I didn't want to plan too far ahead of today, but now I'll have to decide the when, the where, and the how."

Chloe seemed to understand this and nodded, informing Nicolas that herself and Daniel would be sure to keep in touch with Sakura more vigilantly now, so they could surely be the first to hear the news when it happened. She also assured him that nothing would be spoiled on their end and that Nicolas could rest assured, on that account. Thanking Chloe kindly once more, Nicolas accepted his cloak from Mimsy who had also come alongside Chloe during the quick conversation. Mimsy offered her congratulations as well, seemingly joyously, and peered in to the other room - evidently to see how Daniel was handling it. This fact surprised Nicolas to some degree. He had wondered if, should he try to marry Sakura, he would sink to the ranks of Daniel in the eyes of the house elf (and those of her master, who she mirrored, and Nicolas had yet to meet).

After a few more moments of chatter Nicolas stated that he'd enjoyed the conversation, but that he really ought to be off. Mimsy and Chloe nodded, Mimsy waddling off again and Chloe hugging him once more before he turned, put on his travelling cloak, and left the house, quite contented with the outcome for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back