An Old Fashioned Christmas

With the decline down toward the harbour, Nicolas released Sakura's hand so that she could ensure her balance and he keep his. Their hands met once more, nearly automatically, when they reached flat land again. He rubbed his thumb over her hand softly as they walked, mostly in a blissful silence, toward the harbour. This escape was becoming much more akin to what Nicolas had wanted compared to the interrogation drawing room with Sakura's father. He was quite thankful that Sakura was giving him the tour now, and hoped that the situation might be more relaxed back at her home when they returned. Otherwise, it would make for an interesting next several days.

Sakura's question caught Nicolas off guard and he stopped. This wasn't the first time she had questioned him on love, she'd done so on their first meeting outside of the office as well. It seemed to be something on her mind quite a bit lately and he was forced to wonder if the emotions she might be feeling for him were simply a product of her interest in love all of a sudden. He pushed this thought aside, however. He couldn't possibly appear to be that easy to be with or desperate, could he? Nicolas pondered for a moment how to answer the question. 'Not counting at present?' was the first thought that came to his mind, which he could have slapped himself for. A month in to a relationship didn't constitute love, could it? No. He needed to slow things down again. Calm the storm. Or, at least find the eye of it and rest there for some time.

Nicolas decided to answer both her questions as best he could. "I've never been in love before. I've loved people, but been in love? No, though I surely thought I was." Nicolas began, starting to walk with Sakura once more, "As to how one might know if they're truly in love, I think that's something that we wizard folk have considerably an easier time determining than muggles do. I think it's a two step process for us. Or, it holds two questions in my mind." Nicolas had given thought to this before, and now intended to share his thoughts on the subject with Sakura. "First, if you can imagine yourself being with anybody else, not that person, or you can imagine yourself without that person - you're likely not in love." Nicolas started, removing himself for a moment from the situation of himself and his love interest walking along the ocean and putting himself mentally back in to a classroom type setting, where this type of question would be less strange to answer. "Then, for the part that helps us, whether, when you are with that person, the sensation you feel is more magical than the magic that courses through your body."

She was not surprised at all when he told her that he had thought he was in love once, she did not allow herself to think about the woman because she seriously did not know how she would feel. Would she be jealous that at one time in his life someone held his heart and it could possibly have gone somewhere but luckily for her it hadn't? or would she simply be understanding that he had a life before her and of course he would have loved. Sakura listened closely to everything he said, enjoying the feel of his thumb circuling softly against ther hand.

If she were to be honest with herself then her thoughts of Nicolas far exceeded the months duration that she may have occupied his thoughts. She had noticed him long before that and had admired him greatly, had even gone so far as to dream about him on occasion but since that very first night in Poland she had felt it so strongly that if she lived a thousand years, there could never be anyone else for her. Every day spent with him she either flew to new heights or caught herself falling deeper and deeper for him. There had never been a moment yet whereby she did not want to spend a minute with him. He inspired her to want to try her hand at cooking for crying out loud, made her feel invincible within. Everything about him had her feeling on top of the world.

"And... if you loved someone, would you tell them or wait? Is there a set time?" she stopped walking becoming intensely infuriated with herself, "I've never... that is..." she stumbled, faltered blindly to explain that her heart had never wanted anyone, had never needed anyone else until it had found him. That she had never wanted or needed another until she had found him. Her hazel eyes seemed lost, unsure of her footing here as it was a whole new world to her and one he had opened up and yet, he didn't even know he had. What if he didn't even feel half of what she felt for him? What if he considered all of this too soon, too fast?

She bit her lip as she turned her face to look out across the sea, the breeze blowing her hair about her face. Her innocence at feeling so awakened and charged by loves first touch and kiss, pushed her onwards as she turned her face once more to look at him. Sink or swim, flight or fright, do or die...

"I love you,"

Nicolas wondered at the thoughts that must have been going through Sakura's mind in those brief moments between his answering her questions, and her speaking once again. Surely they circled a lot of things, he told himself, one of which had to be whatever had caused her to question him on the topic of love when they spoke in Poland. He was now even forced to wonder if it had solely been her friend's circumstance that had caused Sakura to ask Nicolas about love that night, or if there were yet still other motives that he was unaware of.

In truth, Nicolas was quite ignorant of Sakura's feelings for him. He was skilled at reading people, and if he had wanted to at any point he could have seen Sakura's thoughts, feelings, and memories in her mind. However, Nicolas didn't invoke that ability often and his training as an Auror for reading people was quite limited to those things which would assist him most on the job. Whether this had been intentional, or simply his masculine naivety to all things romantic, was unknown. But he was certainly unaware that Sakura had any feelings for him prior to that night in Poland. He figured now, though that night (if he were to recollect for himself) he had figured differently, that some patron of the restaurant had seen something between them that neither of the pair had considered. So, as could be imagined, the words Sakura was soon to utter would take him by complete surprise, though they had no reason to.

Sakura's next question caught Nicolas even more off guard than her previous one. His mind sputtered. What in Merlin's grey beard was she getting at? Fortunately, he didn't have to answer this question. He simply stopped walking as she did and turned to face her, his countenance displaying a peaceful and patient smile, simply willing to listen to her and allow her her time. It was apparent, however, that this meant little. Whatever Sakura had to say had worked her up considerably. The woman was evidently nervous as she bit her lip and looked away from Nicolas toward the sea. Had he said something wrong? He certainly didn't think so, but he could never quite be sure. Perhaps he had been meant to answer that last question afterall?

'I love you.' The words echoed in Nicolas' mind as they escaped Sakura's lips. Had that been what the questions were about? Had she been trying to sort out her own emotions, confirm them, so that she knew if she was speaking in ignorance? Apparently so. Better still, however, was the fact that Nicolas had successfully done the exact opposite of what he wanted. Instead of finding the eye of the storm he was in another wind and come out and knocked him back in to its chaos. Taking him out of his element yet again and expecting him to react to every cow and hurtle that flew his way in the mess of the storm. This woman loved him.

At this moment Nicolas broke one of his few maintained moral rules. He used his legilimens, not sure if Sakura was a trained occlumens and not much caring. He didn't want to see her thoughts, he wouldn't sort through her mind or discover things she had kept from him. No, this task was simple. He wanted to know her truest emotions in that moment. What he had discovered, however, didn't help him much. As far as Sakura was concerned, in that moment, she was in love with Nicolas King. He offered her a smile, all of this happening within a moment of her initial statement. Behind that smile, however, Nicolas' mind whirled about itself endlessly following this train of thought, then that, then this again until finally, it calmed.

Nicolas had found an eye in the storm. He was certainly still in the storm, but it was calm where he was, and he could see the winds for what they were, he could see what the situation was and he could make sense of himself in this moment. Being honest with himself, Nicolas knew that he had never felt for anybody the way he did now for Sakura, nor had he ever felt the same way when near somebody as he did when near Sakura. True enough, he had only thought of this woman at all for a month, but it seemed to him that the magic of love had entrapped his heart in that month. Enough so that he could now close his eyes for a brief moment, clearing his mind, and reopen them with a gentler gaze than ever before. "I love you, too."

Sakura had not the ability to delve into his mind and reassure herself that his words were spoken truthfully and she was unaware that he had done so to her. All she felt was a twinge as if a sudden headache was about to hit but it quickly passed. She no more paid attention to it than the birds calling overhead or the children playing loudly at the edge of the water on the strand. Her eyes saw only Nicolas, her ears heard only the words he spoke and her heart drowned everything else out. She had not planned on telling him that she loved him but how could she keep it in when she had felt bursting with it. She was not a closet romantic in any way, alway direct and always to the point. It was simply who she was. Sakura saw no point in delaying telling him when that was simply time wasted. His own words to her were taken with the absolute knowledge of a person in love for the very first time as gospel. There was no need to question the validity of his statement or doubt his feelings in any way.

She had no need to trespass into his thoughts either, in the brown spheres that smiled at her she read all she needed too and she smiled. Her hand still in his, gently squeezed against his and as if declaring their love to one another was a common factor in their everyday lives, she turned to continue walking again. The difference in her was visible though, as if once released, once declared, the feelings she had worried over immersed her in the calmness that comes from being truly in love. Nothing needed to be rushed, nothing needed to be hurried along. It was just the two of them coming to the beginning of a new path in their lives and taking it together. She almost glowed as if the magic of love he had spoken of earlier really did envelope her own magic.

When they spoke again it was not more questions, it was not talk about the past as she grew up here. It was simply enjoying the beauty around them, smiling at the children playing, sharing a joke and chatting with some of the fishermen as they walked along the quay. They came to the end of the jetty and Sakura stood just before him, leaning her back against the wall of his chest and wrapping his arms about her. She was happy. Could not imagine a world now where the two were not side by side in it.
"It's supposed to snow tonight" she told him gazing out across the sea that crashed furiously in the distance against the coastline. Laughing she turned to face him.
"If it does and the snow is thick enough you'll be roped in to a snow ball fight. I am totally serious here. My father is brutal, whips up as many as he can and sends them on a blizzard to his opposing team-mates. So how are you're skills with tossing a snow ball?" her hands found their way around his waist holding him close to her as she stared into those mesmerizing brown eyes.

Nicolas enjoyed that even after an exchange of such weighty words they simply continued on walking, and the conversation picked up again as if they'd never stopped at all. The only real change to the situation was that Sakura seemed closer to him now, and more eager to be with him, than ever before. When they stopped once more, this time at their destination, Nicolas allowed his arms to be brought around the woman he loved, and tucked her head in his neck as they both looked out across the sea together, as if waiting for the return of somebody, or something, that was never to show up - but oddly they seemed okay with that, simply being contented with the moment with each other.

"That should be nice for Christmas." Nicolas mused in reply to Sakura's observation on snow. "A snowball fight?" Nicolas enquired as Sakura continued on, explaining her statements. "Well, I suppose it greatly depends on how much your rules allow for the use of magic." Nicolas began with a cheeky grin, remembering snowball fights in his youth at Hogwarts, and how the team that used magic the most clever normally won. Though, he did understand (from muggleborn friends) that muggles, too, enjoyed snowball fights even without the magic and had just as much fun. Nicolas had found this quite difficult to believe, even in his youth when he was prone to believe anything he heard at Hogwarts, anything he could take in at all. Nicolas gazed down to Sakura now and his face couldn't help but display his joy in the moment. "Regardless, you'll be on my side, I should hope?"

Wrapped up in the warmth of him Sakura chuckled lightly.
"Nicolas King we're a wizarding family other than my ludicrous notion to try to cook manually everything else is done with magic. My father and grandfather take our family snow ball fights very seriously, usually Mom and myself end up sitting out on the side lines with hot chocolate watching the two of them" as if his words had more meaning than just partnership in a mere snowball fight, Sakura gazed up at him with a twinkle in her eyes.

"I wouldn't want to be any where else" she told him reaching up and kissing his tenderly. The wind seemed to pick up about them and the cold crisp smell of oncoming snow seemed to fill the air. Her fingers curled into the folds of his cloak as the kiss deepened and she felt herself carried away on a tidal wave. She was so close to him that their bodies touched and the warmth from his caused her to sigh beneath the gentle pressure of his lips. The tumultuous longing for him that developed from the kiss left her reeling. She thought love was all there was but in the moment of that kiss she was awakened to the passion that burnt within her too. Breaking from the kiss, her breath heaving raggedly she gazed up at him. Her lips swollen from their heady kiss and her hair tousled by the wind, she still managed to look incredible. Her fingers grazed the edge of his mouth as her eyes wandered there before looking again into his eyes.
"If we keep kissing like that my father will ask your intentions" she chuckled lightly, before resting her head against his chest once more.

Nicolas laughed with Sakura, her replying being mostly what he had expected. He knew of plenty of wizard families, some even purebloods, who did plenty of things without magic. Given how proud Sakura's father was, though, Nicolas easily suspected that their home thrived on the use of magic; magic which ran through their very-Greek veins. "If that's the case, the victory is already ours." Nicolas started, figuring himself and Sakura to be much more abled with a wand than her father (and whomever he might partner with) were.

Nicolas smiled with Sakura's next sentiment, her sincerity gleaming in her eyes as she reached up and kissed him tenderly. Nicolas returned her kiss, matching her emotion with his own and finding that the kiss, soon enough, was no longer the innocent and playful kisses that they had shared for some time. His hands supported her back as she leaned against him, their body's touching each other's. As Sakura broke the kiss and trailed her fingers down his face softly, Nicolas' face shone as he looked on Sakura who, despite her hair being thrown about by the wind, still looked incredibly wonderful.

"My intentions? Evidently it is yours he should question." Nicolas started, his supporting proof being that Sakura had been first to profess her love and that she initiated the kiss that would likely have caused her father's head to implode had he seen it. In that moment a loud Crack! resounded about them, and Sakura's family's house-elf, Mimsy appeared beside them. Sakura still in Nicolas embrace, though definitely not as close as they had been only moments earlier. Nicolas moved beside Sakura and held her hand once more, afraid that the house elf might report anything it saw to her father and suspecting nothing less. Mimsy promptly informed them dinner was prepared before apparating away again.

Chuckling to himself Nicolas turned back to Sakura, "I do hope the elf is more loyal to you than your father,"

Sakura grinned broadly shaking her head and trying to look somewhat mournful.
"You would think that with us being much younger and fitter that we'd have a fighting chance but they've been doing this for years. I'm sure they practice throughout the year just for these snow ball fights. They play dirty, they play to win. Just don't forget that".
It felt blissful standing with him, melting into the circle of his arms. She had never kissed or been kissed like that before and felt as if she would need at least an hour to compose herself and steady her heart again before returning to the house. His remark about her own intentions caused her to laugh loudly when suddenly the enjoyment they had shared was all too soon taken away as Mimsy appeared. After relaying her message and disapparating again Sakura nodded her head.
"She's a Diggory house elf, she's been with my grandfathers people for forever it would seem. She hasn't much faith in my father at all and never listens to him really. She becomes selectively deaf if he asks her to do anything but my grandfather has her that way" she laughed then, taking his hand again as they made their way back up the jetty but taking the road way this time.
"Would you prefer us to apparate back or walk?"

"I'm quite sure we'll win, regardless of how dirty they may play." Nicolas assured Sakura with the utmost confidence. Even now, schemes of how to match her father and defeat him in the war which seemed probable to occur were working their ways into Nicolas' mind. In truth the snowball fight didn't matter much to him, should it occur, but the prospect of losing on any point to Sakura's father, given his apparent feelings toward Nicolas, was quite undesirable.

Nicolas nodded with Sakura's explanation of the situation. "Well, I'm quite glad for that, then." Nicolas began, a smirk on his face as he imagined the house elf entirely ignoring the man who struck him as one who might find such actions more offensive by most, which probably gave the house elf more motive to continue on. The cycle was perfect. "Hmm? I should think a walk back would be lovely, if you're not opposed to it. Perhaps now is the time for the scenic route, really."

She found it hilarious that Nicolas was taking the snowball fight just as seriously as her father and grandfather did and knew he would fit in very well with the lot of them. An image of him doing the same thing the following year and the year after came to mind and instead of it terrifying her, she discovered it was something to look forward too. Nicolas and Sakura. The names played side by side in her mind and she could not help but smile as they began to walk along.
"The walk back it is then" she stretched her arm across his waist sidling in close to him, all she was short was to purr with satisfaction at this point because she seriously felt like she was the cat that got the cream, "Oh I think the scenic route is ideal."

Nicolas helped her to climb back up the incline, that seemed so much steeper now that they had to travel upwards instead of down. Arms about each other they laughed and joked exploring strategies for the following day. She commented several times that he was nothing more than a big kid at heart and it was in this jovial way that they arrived to the noisey gate once more. Opening it slowly as if to purposefully make it all the more raucous, they announced their arrival that way. At the door Sakura stopped, paused with her hand near the handle to look at him.
"It could be another while before I get another chance" she grinned before leaning forward and kissing him softly, "my intentions are most honorable".
With this she grinned before opening the front door and leading them inside.

Her mother came out to greet them, asking about their walk and if Nicolas enjoyed the scenery that Clowden had to offer. She told them there was no need to change for dinner tonight as they were going to keep it simple and Sakura cringed. It would have been more elaborate if she hadn't attempted a coup in the kitchen. As it was they went to the dining room to be met by her father sitting proudly at the head of the table. Chloe indicated for Nicolas to sit opposite Sakura and soon all were seated and helping themselves to a delicious fish platter and salad. The village of Clowden was a fishing port after all, as was Whitby not far away and fresh fish were readily available every morning to the locals. They all chatted amicably enough, Chloe had obviously had some serious words with Daniel about how to conduct himself with Nicolas.

The meal went off without a hitch and soon they were back in the drawing room. Chloe offered Nicolas a fire whiskey having heard from Sakura in advance that it was his drink of choice. The evening was drawing to a close and soon it would be bed time, the candles flickering on the Christmas tree were slowly dying out being only charmed to stay alight for so long. Eventually stifling a yawn, Sakura stood up and smiled at everyone.
"I'm afraid I am too much of a lightweight today" she smiled, "It is time for me to turn in."

Nicolas enjoyed their walk home, wrapping his arm around Sakura and drawing her near to him as they continued on, even despite her already having pulled herself as close as she could. They shared plenty of smiles and laughs, all of which would have been lost had they decided to apparate back. Nicolas chuckled with the creak of the gate that seemed to trumpet in their return then Sakura broke away from him as they approached the door once more. He returned her kiss gently and chuckled with her words afterward. "It's not me you have to convince." He informed her as she opened the door and lead him inside once more.

Dinner was pleasant, much to Nicolas' surprise, and as the evening progressed he had been forced to wonder on many occasions if the man in the room with him was Sakura's father at all. Or, if this man had been Sakura's father all along and the other the impostor. It was impossible for Nicolas to quite tell one way or the other, but he quite approved of the change - real father or not. Nicolas thanked Chloe for the meal (though was sure not to address her as such, for fear of invoking the wrath of the man Nicolas suspected still sat behind the façade that was present at the dinner table) and retired with them to the drawing room.

Conversation continued on, still amiable, and Nicolas grew fairly suspicious of the situation at times. He was quite sure that Daniel had been instructed on 'proper behaviour' many times prior to his arrival, and even during the beginning hours, but somehow now he decided it would be fine to just carry on a conversation? That didn't sit well with Nicolas. Not that he wanted a fight in particular, he just didn't like ruses that he couldn't see through entirely. He thanked Chloe once more, this time for the glass of firewhiskey. After the day he'd had, its highs and lows, a firewhiskey, he figured, would calm his nerves and distract him from the present situation to the burning sensation in his throat.

When the candles on the tree started to dim and Sakura rose to excuse herself, Nicolas followed suit. He had plenty of thinking to do, it seemed to him, and the prospect of staying up later, with Sakura's parents, without Sakura to defend him if need be as she had earlier wasn't much of an alternative in his mind. Granted, he could always defend himself, but in so doing he figured he might make an enemy of her father, more so than he had for simply courting his daughter at all, and this was the idea that truly frightened him. Even a little time without Sakura's presence and things were likely to go awry between Nicolas and Daniel - as had been shown previously in their exchange over names.

Going to bed definitely seemed the sensible thing.

Chloe had been just as surprised as everyone else that Daniel had actually heeded her warning and had begun to act like the man she knew him to be, though deep down she was sceptical of his actions still. He rarely did anything unless there was something in it for him in the long run. Daniel however was thoroughly enjoying himself, he had apologized to his beloved wife for ruining the day so far and had promised he would make an effort. Once Sakura and Nicolas had returned that's exactly what he did do but behind the scenes his mind was in overdrive, concocting ways since he heard the weather forecast and the eminent arrival of snow, to annilihate Nicolas King and have it all done in such a way that it was just part of the game, the infamous family snowball fight.

Even when both of them chose to retire for the night and his compulsion was to demand the man stay put until his daughter was fast asleep, he merely bade the two good night and sighed. Trying to be this nice was a chore in itself but the following day would surely bring justice. With that thought he finished his drink in peace while Chloe chattered on about how lovely Nicolas was.

Sakura bade them all goodnight and smiled as Nicolas followed suit. Together they climbed the stairs and on the landing that they shared she kissed him tenderly goodnight before heading in the opposite direction to her own room. The night ahead was peaceful and sleep came easily, especially since her father had made such a huge effort.

Christmas morning dawned and sitting up in bed she stretched lazily looking about her usually darkened room and wondering why it was so bright. A smile slowly dawned as she leaped from her bed and ran to her window. Drawing back the curtains she saw the blanket of untouched snow masking the countryside like a protective blanket. With a squeal of pleasure and feeling like a little kid again she slipped her feet into her slippers, grabbed her dressing gown and ran from her room. It was seven in the morning, so her parents would still be asleep but she'd wake them soon enough as she always did. Making her way down the corridor she knocked quickly on the door before rushing inside.

"Nicolas, Nicolas" she called out excitedly, Sakura was at the side of the four poster bed in seconds crawling on top of it and kneeling there smiling, "Wake up sleepy head, it's Christmas morning."

Nicolas had been able to go to sleep fairly quickly after arriving in his room and preparing for the night. The day had been long, and his time at Sakura's had made it even longer. It hadn't been bad, per se, but it certainly was enough to drain somebody - and Nicolas was drained. Instead of staying up a while in thought, Nicolas was soon unconscious on the bed that Mimsy had prepared for him, dreaming of everything under the sun - his mind being the perfect escape from the stresses of the day.

As the sun started to rise and its light filter through the house, Nicolas continued his slumber. This was interrupted by Sakura's excited voice rousing Nicolas from his sleep. Nicolas groggily opened his eyes, the light from the drawn curtains casting itself on Sakura as she knelt on the bed beside him. "So it is," He began, the first smile of the day gracing his visage, "And what a beautiful sight to start it with."

She watched him wake from his slumber and mused that she could have happily watched him for an eternity he looked so peaceful. His smile and his words caused her to blush but soon she was sliding from his bed and walking hurriedly to the window to pull back the drapes there as well. The sun did shine but it was eclipsed by the brightness of the snow as it lay thick all round. It even lit up the room with far more clarity than the dawn could even have done.
"You have to see Nicolas, it did snow. It's so beautiful" she enthused gazing to him before looking out the window once more.

It looked nothing more than an enchanted fairty land outside, the icicles that dripped from the window sill and the frosted pain made everything seem so surreal. This was going to be a perfect Christmas she could feel it.

Nicolas watched Sakura move toward the window and smiled as she excitedly opened the drapes for him to see outside. He rose from the bed and walked toward Sakura at the window, presently in nothing but his pyjama bottoms, and looked outside at the view she had indicated. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and held her to him, moving his head to rest by hers before giving her a small peck on the cheek. "Nothing is beautiful about a battleground." Nicolas joked to Sakura, aware that this also meant the fight she'd warned him about was now simply a matter of time before it was declared.

Sakura heard the muted tones of bare feet making their way across the room to her and felt the warmth of his breath on her neck as he stood behind her. Her hands covered his that wrapped around her and she found herself leaning back against his bare chest. He was still so warm from the confines of the bed that she could not help but snuggle deep against him and forgetting about the sight outside the window closed her eyes to enjoy the moment of tranquility in his arms.

Of course soon his words had her laughing lightly as she slowly turned around to face him. Her eyes scanned the bare chest exposed to her gaze and her hands as they slowly travelled up his arms pausing on the firm ridges of muscle before gliding over his shoulders. She had never been this close to a half naked man before and the fact that this was the man she loved made her feel as if she would faint from the beauty of him or faint for longing for him. Her hazel eyes swept up to his face as she gradually leaned in to him. Her lips now just a breath away from his.
"Happy Christmas Nicolas" she whispered before sealing the words with a tender kiss.

Nicolas received Sakura's delicate kiss and smiled as they broke off. "Yes, Happy Christmas, Sakura." Nicolas offered, his gaze being quite loving as he looked at her in his arms and thought of all that had happened between them in the very short amount of time he'd even thought of her. It really had been a whirlwind of events, but now that the storm seemed to be subsiding Nicolas could tell that it had carried him to a much better place than he'd been before. Of course, there was still a gust now and then, and now more than ever there were plenty of concerns for Nicolas and Sakura to sort through. All in all, however, Nicolas knew this was good.

Nicolas dropped his arms from holding Sakura, allowing her to stand free of him, before he scratched his head awkwardly, realizing now the state he stood before her in. "Perhaps I should get dressed and meet you downstairs?" Nicolas enquired, a sheepish grin on his face, only being able to imagine the reactions they might receive by any passersby. "Or perhaps you should give me a brief summary of how Christmas day works for your family before you leave me to get ready."

She only felt the slight chill when he freed her from his embrace, releasing her completely from the warmth he had exuded. It took all the strength she had not to emit a whimper at the injustice of being parted from him and with the small distance he had created, she was allowed to see the entirety of his bare chest and his toned, muscular arms. Not a thought went to anyone else in the house as she stood mesmerized, gazing upon the perfection that was he. It was madness but she could not stop herself as she lifted a hand and with her non verbal, wandless skills closed the door to his room effectively. He would most likely turn her around and dismiss her like a silly child. As her hand reached up she began a delicate exploration of his exposed upper body.

As she slowly began to circle him, she told him what he needed to know for the day ahead. Though her voice sounded so far away and utterly preoccupied.
"My parents get up around eightish and we go down to the tree, Mimsy brings us all in hot beverages and we open our gifts. After that is breakfast and then we wrap up and have our snow ball fight, coming back in time for dinner which is a dressed up affair." by now she had walked around to his back, her hand still trailing along his skin. Pausing in her movements, she moved closer and gently kissed between his shoulder blades before wrapping her arms about his midriff and leaning her head against his back.

She closed her eyes and wanted only to freeze time, to pause it awhile longer but as good a witch as she was; she was not that good.

Nicolas could sense Sakura's disappointment as he released her from his arms. However, this seemed to pass within moments as she realized that she could now see his full upper body. Standing mesmerized before Nicolas, not speaking a word, Nicolas grew slightly more uneasy. There hadn't been any way he could have changed the situation, but he still felt like he should have slipped a robe on quickly at some point between when she'd woken him and when they'd kissed.

The door closing behind him gave Nicolas a slight start as Sakura's hand came to his chest and seemed to inspect it, walking around him slowly and explaining what the day would bring. Of course, Nicolas' mind retained very little of what she told him, his eyes trailing her around him as far as they could before she disappeared behind his back and all the while his wondering at the situation. Sakura's soft kiss on his hack sent shivers down his spine before he felt her embrace around him. It was evident that she approved of his form, which made him smile to himself, and he simply stood there, allowing Sakura to cling to him for several moments as he peered out the window.

Turning about, Nicolas brought one arm around Sakura's back and the other to her head, holding her to his chest softly as they stood there in the room. He kissed the crown of her head lovingly before removing his hand from its position holding her to him and brushing it across her cheek, hoping to have her look up at him with this soft touch. His second hand moved from her back to her waist and he smiled down at her. "I do love you."

She could have happily stood there holding him for the rest of the day but no amount of wishing would make it so. Eventually Nicolas turned around to face her, cradling her to him for another moment. Sakura had never felt so utterly blissful and when the gentle touch of his hand grazed her cheek she turned hazel eyes to look up at him. His words though she had heard them before had the same effect as the first time. Sent spiraling out into the stratosphere on a cloud of happiness.
"I know" she replied, her smile never faltering wanting to let him know that she did not doubt his feelings for her for even a second. He had her complete and utter faith, trust, love and devotion. Her love for him was unconditional, as pure as the driven snow outside, as pure as their blood lines and as pure as she was in her innocence.
"And I love you ... for now and always."

Sakura sounded so sure of this, aware that peoples hearts changed and how fickle love could be she was absolutely certain that her love for him could not or would not alter. It was too great, too vast as it was for it to be able to grow any more and there was no thought at all of it ever decreasing in it's volume or velocity.

Nicolas was entranced by Sakura's gaze and her smile for countless moments, able to imagine gazing on it for a lifetime and always feeling contented by it. With Sakura's reply Nicolas smiled, he believed her now as he likely should have the previous day. Brining a hand to her cheek he leaned forward and kissed Sakura, displaying the emotion of his words in this kiss and becoming quite entangled in the moment before moving his head back once more. "You should likely be off." He started quietly, not particularly wanting to part from her but acknowledging it as required.

Words seemed unnecessary as they simply smiled at one another before their lips met once again. She could well imagine herself waking every morning for the rest of her life to him and to the array of emotions he kindled in her. Their lips soon parted and she knew so must they. Her parents would rise soon and after the small truce that had been established the previous night, Sakura did not want to jeopardise the camaraderie that her father exhibited to Nicolas at last.
"I'll see you down stairs" she smiled at him about to leave but turning with a beaming smile to kiss him one last time.

She turned once more and headed for the door, opening it gently so as not to disturb anyone else before their time and just as gently she closed it after her. Heading to her own room, she freshened up and changed into her grey slacks, a white ti-shirt and grey wrap cardigan. It wasn't long at all before she was heading down stairs smiling brightly at the gifts in her hands. She was the worst person imaginable for getting gifts for people and she at this point could give her parents tin cans and they'd be make her believe that they were thrilled.

Entering the drawing room she was the first one there and placed the gifts beneath the tree before bundling herself up on the sofa and wrapping the throw from the back rest around her. Just then Mimsy came in and clicking her fingers lit the fire before bidding a Merry Christmas to the young mistress. As she left her mother entered the room all smiles. Both Gemini women greeted each other enthusiastically before her mother placed some more gifts beneath the tree. She sat down beside her daughter and the two began to chat about the up coming snowball fight. Daniel it seemed was a bit sluggish this morning, having spent a fair bit of the night going over various strategies.

Nicolas watched Sakura leave the guest room which he was staying in and then he sighed as the door shut once more, flopping himself down on the armchair by the window and closing his eyes a moment. It seemed that every time they were together they became closer, and no longer simply emotionally. After a few moments of thought in the armchair Nicolas pulled himself back up to his feet and approached the wardrobe where he had placed his clothing. Withdrawing a more casual set of robes he changed quickly and gave himself a quick glance in the mirror. He looked about the same as he ever did, though perhaps happier now than normally. Satisfied with this (though when he was dissatisfied and why he continued to look despite never being dissatisfied, he didn't know), Nicolas approached the bag he'd brought with him and withdrew the gifts he had brought with him for Sakura and her family.

It had been difficult choosing gifts for the lot of them. He'd barely known Sakura a month, and knew little if anything at all about her parents. But he'd finally settled on gifts for them just before making arrangements with the ministry to take the time off he'd need in order to give the gifts. It was nice, to be with a family for Christmas, even if he was still an outsider to them and tensions were ready to rise between himself and Daniel at any time. With these gifts under his arm, and these thoughts in his mind, he left his room and followed the stairs down to the drawing room once more.

Nicolas entered the drawing room and smiled to Sakura's mother. "Happy Christmas," he offered her, passing by them to place the gifts he'd carried down under the tree himself before taking a seat as indicated to him.

Sakura and her mothers conversation was halted by the very person she wanted to see above all others. She could no more help the way her face lit up when he entered the room, than she could stop herself being in love with him. Her eyes could not leave him and when he did look at her she could only smile brightly. Even when her father walked in booming out his usual jovial 'Merry Christmas to All' she returned the salutations but did not once look anywhere but at Nicolas.

Daniel took his post by the tree and beckoned Mimsy to him. The house elf entered the room with great reluctance though she would have sprinted in if one of the others had called her. Standing beside him she cast him a disparaging look for it was always Amos who passed the gifts to her to give to everyone else. They could very easily have all knelt down by the tree and opened them but for some bizarre reason known only to Amos, he preferred doing it this way.

Mimsy took the first gift and passed it to Chloe, the tag read it was from Sakura and instantly her daughters attention was dragged from Nicolas to cringe visibly.
"Mom you know I am hopeless so please just... take it in the spirit it is given, ok?" she of course said the same speech every year because invariably every year without fail she gave them truly awful gifts.

This year was a bit different, in that some thought actually went in but Chloe laughingly opened her gift still expecting the worsed only to find a set of cookery books that she already had. She embraced her daughter and thanked her sincerely for the gift while Mimsy was bringing a deep green parcel to Nicolas marked from Chloe. She had put a lot of work into it suspecting just how much this relationship truly meant to her daughter.
"Merry Christmas Nicolas" she smiled at him kindly taking another gift from Mimsy and passing this one to Sakura.

Nicolas was aware of Sakura's gaze being on him, but paid attention to the others in the room, ever conscious that he was being judged, like it or not. He would occasionally look back to Sakura and quirk a smile at her before turning back to watch events unfold. It appeared that the house elf despised Daniel as much as Sakura had indicated as she drudged across the room to the tree and started to pass out the presents.

Nicolas took the present from Mimsy with a smile and a small 'Thank you' to the elf, before turning it over and reading the tag. He looked to Chloe and smiled kindly to her as he tore off the wrapping to reveal the jumper within. He held it up to himself then looked down at it. "Thank you" he began, folding the jumper back up and holding it on his lap. He would look a fool if he threw it on over his robes just then, and trusted nobody would take particular offence to his not doing so.

Unlike Sakura, Nicolas thought himself to be fairly good at buying gifts for people. Especially those close to him. For Sakura he'd bought a small book titled "Muggle Cookery, For Magical Dummies". It was, apparently, a spin off of a muggle line of similar books that had weaselled its way in to the Wizarding World. Within this book, however, were tickets to an exhibition quidditch match between the Appleby Arrows and the Kenmare Kestrels. It was the latter, of course, that were her actual gifts. For Sakura's parents, whom he knew very little about, he'd had a harder time finding gifts. For Daniel, Nicolas had settled on a small coinbag of Greek drachmas which dated back to before the isolation of Wizarding society. A few of the coins had been charmed using the same ancient magic for good luck and to never get lost etc. Nicolas had since attached a note to the outer portion of the bag stating that using the coins in the upcoming snowball fight would be more than unfair and may just force some Felix Felicis to be brewed in order to even the odds. For Chloe, Nicolas had found himself with still considerably a tougher time. He had settled on a set of enchanted scented candles which changed scents according to the preference of the smeller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back