A Long Awaited Reunion

Sarah Jones

Upon Nicolas' instructions Sarah had travelled to Carlisle, a neaby muggle town, to meet him for tea. She was quite nervous about the meeting, not having seen Nicolas in more than a decade. Sarah entered the tiny shoppe wearing a cute knee-length skirt and a sweater beneath her coat. She scanned the shoppe and, not spotting Nicolas, walked over to a little booth. Taking off her coat she hung it up and sat down, setting her purse beside her. Sarah took a book out from her purse and began to read as she waited.

Professor King had said goodbye to Cecily for the Holidays this being his last day in England he decided it would be acceptable for him to meet Sarah today. He was dressed in his usual cloak and robes, having decided not to fuss about trying to be in matching muggle clothing. He apparated just outside the limits of the city and walked toward the place he had asked Sarah to meet him. Upon finding the shoppe once again (he hadn't been in England for over twelve years and the Muggle town looked different in many ways) he entered it and hung his cloak up on a rack by the door. He glanced around the room a moment, spotting Sarah almost immediately. She was reading a book, he chuckled to himself ‘I expected no less’ he thought as he approached the booth at which she sat. “I’m guessing I can have this seat?”

Sarah looked up at the sound of an old familiar voice and smiled at Nicolas. "Of course," she said brightly and set her book down, standing up and walking to Nicolas and going in for a hug. She hoped it would not be too awkward for him, but it had been so long she could not help herself. They had been very close at one time afterall.

Nicolas returned Sarah's hug in a friendly manner then took his seat, "So you've been well then?" he began, waiting for somebody to come and take their orders. He really didn't want to start talking about much else other than pleasantries until he had some tea in front of him to distract him if need be. A sip of tea buys a person plenty of time to think when they really need it.

Sarah hugged Nicolas in a friendly manner and then sat down across from him. "Yes, I've been good, thanks. And you?" Just then a waitress came over to take their order. Sarah ordered herself a cup of black tea and a biscuit, then waited for Nicolas to order.

"I've been well enough." Nicolas responded as the waitress came over. He ordered their speciality tea. "So you're enjoying being the lead librarian at Hogwarts then I'd imagine?" he enquired, wondering how long he could possibly stall the inevitable.

Sarah smiled. "Oh yes, it's a wonderful job. Just perfect for me. How are you enjoying your jobs?" Sarah didn't really know what to call Nicolas' profession, since he was both a professor and an Auror.

Nicolas smiled, he was glad Sarah's life was going well. "I enjoy all my work. Being an Auror is great, being undercover was greater but I can't have it all I guess. Then being Professor, Head of House and Deputy Headmaster at Hogwarts is tiring most of the time but rewarding." he replied, deciding not to mention Quality Quidditch supplies as it didn't seem one of his more important roles in the grand scheme of things.

Sarah's mouth nearly dropped open but she kept it successfully closed. "You certainly keep busy. It's a wonder you have time for anything else." Sarah smiled thankfully as the waitress came over with their things. She immediately put three sugarcubes into her tea and stirred it with the spoon.

"Well doing things at the school is kind of the same as being an Auror for me at the moment, so not as busy as one might think." Nicolas responded, taking his tea and putting in the correct amount of sugar and milk so it would be to his liking. "So how's your family?" he asked, figuring Sarah had only been in Cumbria to visit them.

"They're quite well," Sarah said as she set her cup of tea down. "Although I must say they were rather surprised by your letter. Mum and Dad were a bit against my meeting you." Sarah looked away from Nicolas and down at her tea, quickly taking a sip of it.

Nicolas was glad to hear Sarah's parents were well however he raised his eyebrow at her latter statement, "May I ask why?" he enquired. Despite his best efforts not to be offended by Sarah's statement he had been and now just wanted to know what her parents could possibly have against her meeting him.

Sarah set her tea down and sighed. "Well it was mostly Dad. He's quite protective of me you know. His opinion of you dropped considerably after...well, you know. Nicolas, what happened? We were so happy. At least, I thought you were happy. I know I was. You just disappeared without a word." She frowned as she looked at Nicolas. He looked even better now that he had aged some. She could feel all the old feelings rushing back, but she tried her best to hide them. There was something different about him though, he seemed much more solemn.

Nicolas decided to take a sip of tea at this part in the conversation, glad he had ordered it. He could understand Sarah's father's opinion of him being not what it once was and now he had to explain what he had done. "Well, you know my dad died, but a week or two after he did so did my mum, and then I couldn't stay in that house anymore, I couldn't even stand the thought of England. So I left and tried not to look back." he stopped after this part and took another sip of tea, deciding that was enough for now.

Sarah had known Nicolas' father had died, but not that his mother had. This explained it a bit, but her heart stung with pain. "So you have to leave everything in England? Did I mean so little to you that you did not deem me worthy of even a goodbye?" The last words came out in a whisper, her eyes dropping down to her tea and untouched biscuit.

"You reminded me of England, which in turn of my parents. I cared so much for you, but I was so confused and wanted to get away from anything that would remind me of anything to do with my parents. I was young, I was stupid. I'll be the first to admit to that." Nicolas said after he set down his tea, only to pick it back up again once he had finished.

Sarah shook her head slowly. She was more hurt by Nicolas' actions than she realized. She looked up at him with sadness in her brown eyes. "You must not have cared too much to simply drop all contact with me. Not a goodbye, not even a letter after you moved, nothing. You seem to have lived just fine without me, but it probably never occurred to you what your leaving did to me." Sarah shook her head once more and looked down at her tea, no longer feeling hungry. Why did I come here? This was an awful idea.

Nicolas felt horrid as Sarah spoke, not just for what he had done to her but for what he seemed to be doing to her now. "After I moved I tried to forget everything of England as best I could. If I had thought of you I would've been so hurt, more so then the deaths of my parents already had caused me to be, then after a while I couldn't even consider writing you. I thought you'd moved on, found yourself somebody better then me, or something. I didn't want to stir up any hurt you may have forgotten about, I decided I would let you live without bringing myself back into your life." He attempted to rationalize, knowing it to be no excuse but some reason helped when there was none.

Sarah looked up at Nicolas, frowning. "Well you were dreadfully wrong on a few counts. I could not having possibly found someone better than you, as you were the only one I wanted to be with. You not writing hurt me far worse than a hearing from you might have. I cannot believe I was stupid enough to write you now. If just thinking of me hurts than i cannot imagine what this is doing to you."

Sarah stuffed her book into her purse and stood quickly, unable to think clearly anymore. Her heart was aching and all she wanted to do now was forget about everything she had just heard. She had thought that seeing Nicolas and hearing his explanation would make her feel better, but she had also been dreadfully wrong.

Nicolas frowned as Sarah spoke but chose not to interrupt her. She had a right to be upset with him and he knew that. When she packed away her book and stood he threw the little muggle money he had managed to find on the table and stood up behind her. "Sarah, I'm so sorry for what I did to you. Is there any way I can make it up to you?"he said in a slow sincere voice.

Sarah stopped and turned, her coat in her hand. She looked at Nicolas with wide eyes, surprised but touched. "I don't know Nick. You seem to have moved on pretty well with your life. Perhaps it would be best for both of us to just go on with our lives and forget this meeting ever happened." Sarah certainly didn't want to do that, but she didn't want to force Nicolas into befriending her or anything of the like if he did not want to.

"Clearly forgetting isn't the best path." Nicolas replied, having chosen forgetting in the past and that only having landed him exactly where he was standing. "Any alternative suggestions?"

Sarah bit her lip as she looked at Nicolas, taken aback by the mix of feelings inside her. She had not been prepared for the rush of feelings seeing him brought back, which was now mingled with a pain she had thought she would never feel again. Nicolas was right, she could not just pretend this never happened and go on with her life.

"Perhaps we could try being friends again. I know it won't be easy, what being on different sides of the world and all, but I would be willing to try. Losing you was the worst thing that ever happened to me Nick, and I'd really like to have you in my life again." Sarah bit her lip once more, color rising in her cheeks. She didn't know if this was the best thing to have said, but she could not take it back now.

"I wouldn't mind having you as a friend again." Nicolas agreed with a smile and a nod, grabbing his cloak off the hook by the door, figuring they shouldn't block the area much longer. "You know I truly am sorry though, Sarah, don't you?" he enquired.

Sarah smiled softly and put on her coat. For a long time Sarah had believed that Nicolas had not been sorry for leaving her, but it comforted her to know that he was. "Yes Nicolas, of course. You have no idea how good it is to hear you say that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back