A Day of Flight

Jaken smiled a bit, still staring at the sky. He rarely appreciated things like this, but this sunset looked more beautiful than they did in much colder weather, such as the sunsets at Durmstrang. He turned to her, still smiling, "Chancing like I do just takes experience." He laughed a bit. He seemed like an expert in the things he did. He nearly always wound up hurt, but they were never serious injuries. He turned back to the sky.

"Or snow, most of the time." He added. Jaken couldn't wait for winter to show. He wasn't used to such warm weather. Being cold might make him a bit more comfortable here in a new school, around new people, and in a strange environment.

Estrella smiled back at Jaken, shaking her head and looking to the colors that were splashed over the sky. Experience didn't seem to be something that coincided with chance, but she decided not to comment on it.

"You want snow?" She raised an eyebrow at him, laughing. "Where I was raised I got more than my fair share of snow- I think I'm quite comfortable without it." Taking her hands off her broom she jammed them into the pockets of her robes, able to feel the chilly bite of oncoming winter on her exposed skin.

Jaken wondered whether he made sense with his last reply. He sighed, and dismissed it. His grey eyes almost reflected the sky's colors. He glanced down at the ground.

Jaken nodded slightly, shifting his gaze to her, "Actually, yes. It is my native weather after all. At least, it was in Durmstrang. I never really went home on the breaks." He then laughed, "A little bit of opposites, we are with the snow topic." Jaken couldn't wait for the snow. It always made him feel at ease, and also lightning storms as well. He watched her put her hands into her robe pockets. He was just wearing casual clothing, and felt rather warm. He chuckled a bit. He would welcome winter with open arms.

Smirking, Estrella replied, "I still don't like it." Pulling her hands out of her pockets she wrapped her arms around her chest, shivering just a bit. "I get enough of winter when I go home for Christmas." She laughed, and added, "That indeed we are. I suppose it is not so much the snow that bothers me, but the ice. And it's not like you can melt it with magic or anything when you're underage and outside school grounds."

She grinned. "Why didn't you go home over the breaks?" She could as easily ask herself the same question normally, although her grandfather was requiring her to be at his home over winter and summer breaks from now on. She was really getting to like Jaken. It was almost a shame that she couldn't spend her break with her friends. Giving Jaken a little smile, she waited for him to answer.

She could not shake off the feeling of foreboding that she had, although she had every reason to be happy. Her father's response to her letter had been unsettling, yes, but she had managed to push it out of her mind, until now.

Jaken slightly touched his hair, and moved it from his eyes. He nodded, "I see, and I assume that you go to Norway?" Jaken thought for a moment. Why would he melt the ice with magic? He shrugged, he had never given that a thought, whatsoever. "I suppose not. But we only have two more years of school." Although school gave him peace at mind, he still didn't know what he wanted to be.

Jaken shrugged, "Eh, just being at home with three siblings wasn't the best. I wanted to stay with friends. This year though, I'm being forced to stay with my dad. I am hoping we go to Bulgaria." Jaken sighed; he missed Bulgaria. Dismissing the uncomfortable feeling he turned to ask her, "Don't you visit friends over break?" He wondered whether it was okay to ask that.

Jaken saw a glimpse of unsettlement in Estrella's eyes. Naturally, he was curious, but it continued to bother him. He felt that it would be rude to intrude. He glanced down, and waited for her responce.

"Yes, I'll be going to my grandfather's," Estrella stated, a bit of warmth seeping out of her tone. She wasn't sure what was going to happen this winter, Sophia having run off and all. For that matter, she had never been to the Herrogard over Christmas- she imagined that it would get pretty cold. She thought about his statement for a moment; it still had not sunk in that indeed, practically five years had already swept by. They had little more than two left, and then she would be thrust into the real world. The upside to that would be being able to use magic outside of school.

"What is Bulgaria like?" she inquired, giving him a small smile. She was curious to hear about his home country; what was behind that accent of his. Her eyes were downcast to the ground as she added, "I haven't for a while." She really hoped that she wasn't bothering him, forcing a smile.

Jaken grinned a bit. He had never known his grandfather. Kalif never spoken about him much, just that he was dead and no body was recovered. Jaken murmured softly, "I've been around there two or three times. The winter is pretty harsh if you aren't used to it." He shrugged. He has traveled much around Europe and Asia because of his family.

Jaken laughed, and thought before answering, "It's not a big country, but there are a few million people there. There are mostly Bulgarian ethic, and such. The summers are kind of warm, and the winters are always snowy. I have no idea about much else, but the nature there is pretty to look at." Jaken sighed. He didn't know how to word his home country, and hoped that he made some sense.

Jaken noticed her glancing to the ground. He replied softly, "Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you should, over another break sometime, or during it." He didn't know anyone else from or in Norway, so he felt rather helpless.

"Really? Where did you go there?" To think about it, Estrella had never been in any part of her grandfather's homeland besides the Herrogard. She figured that winter might be worse off the northern coast but she was going to take Jaken's word for it. She didn't plan to make any excursions outside the building this time of year anyway. And not that she had anywhere to go.

Estrella gave Jaken a warm smile. "I may have to visit there someday. It sounds like a nice place." Her grin soon turned to a frown as she stated, "I don't think I'd really have a choice in the matter." Truth was, she had an inkling that Valcan would not be feeling so gracious towards her, especially after what had happened over the summer.

Jaken tried to remember. It was such a long time ago, he couldn't really remember what part of the country he had traveled to. He shrugged, "I honestly have no idea. I stayed in a hotel while dad did his business, and then we left." Jaken would have to ask Kalif for certainty. Although, Kalif wasn't the type to talk about his business.

He returned her warm smile with one of his own, "The best part, I think, was on the coast, where I lived. It's nice, I think anyway." He shook his head. Not having a choice was something he could sympathize for. "I believe I know what you mean." He wished that she would have a choice, and things would look a bit better in the future.

Estrella gave Jaken a small smile, curious as to what his father did for a living. But it would not be prudent nor her business to inquire. "Actually, I don't think I've stepped foot in the country itself, just on the island where my Grandfather lives." The more she thought about it, the more obscene it seemed to her. She knew that her grandfather was the Minister of Magic there. But why had she really never visited his home country?

She was not entirely sure where Bulgaria was geographically but the more Jaken spoke about it the more she seemed to like it. "I may have to visit there one day," she chortled, grinning at him broadly, "Maybe I'll need a tour guide to show me around."

"Parental figures," she stated, shaking her head and smirking back at Jaken upon his last comment.

Jaken laughed a bit, "From what I remember, it is a nice country. So, you live in Norway, but you haven't been on the country? That's impressive." He smirked a bit. He wondered why she hadn't, but he decided to wait another time.

Jaken nodded, "Like I can be your tour guide." He smirked just a bit. "I haven't been all over Bulgaria. My mother has, perhaps she could feel the spot." He laughed a bit. He wondered how she would respond to that. He wished he could go back to Bulgaria soon. Namina had to go back in Christmas, so perhaps he would go with her.

Jaken shrugged, "More or less, my dad. And I suppose, your grandfather." Jaken shook his head and grinned just a bit.

Estrella shook her head. "Maybe I'll convince my grandfather to take me to work with him sometime. I love to see new things." She gave Jaken an embarrassed smile, still finding it weird that she was supposed to call Norway her home. But where was her real home? She barely knew a lick of the language itself.

Grinning, she stated, "I think that would be amazing! And fun too." Her eyes bright, she stated, "What do you mean, she can feel out a spot?"

"Well, my dad too," she laughed, soon becoming quiet. She wasn't sure if she had ever even mentioned her father to Jaken. The letter was still planted firmly in her mind. She wanted to hunt him down and demand an explanation.

["feel out a spot" is not supposed to be there. Pretend it was actually like "be the tour guide or whatever." lol Oops.]

Jaken grinned, "I hope he will let you go with him, whatever he does." Jaken didn't really care to visit Norway one day. The language is foreign, and all he knew was english, bulgarian, and russian, at least, fluently. He saw her embarassment, and hoped that she would learn more things in her country.

Jaken laughed, "My mom makes everything fun. So, maybe one day in the future, I can convince her to take us to the capital of Bulgaria. I haven't been there since I was little." He shrugged. Sofia was a big city, and he didn't know much of it. He knew more about America than he did the capital of his own country. He flushed a tiny bit.

Jaken's eyes narrowed. Had she ever mentioned her father before? He noticed the silence, and decided not to inquire. He simply nodded.

She smirked. "Well, I don't think I've told you this, but he's the Minister for Magic there. A visit to work seems highly unlikely, but it would still be cool." Estrella grinned, adding, "At least, I'd like to visit the country's capital. Get a feeling for some heritage, you know? I believe it is called Oslo."

"Really?" Estrella stated excitedly, knowing full well that she shouldn't expect such big things out of someone she knew barely well that was planned for the future. "That would be so neat! I would love something like that!" Her expression was bright as she looked back to Jaken.

Estrella's lip pursed as she observed Jaken narrowing his eyes, gripping the edge of her broom. "Yeah. My father-" her voice trailed off as she looked up to him, mumbling, "Never mentioned him did I?" From the way she had explained her family situation to Jaken she realized that she had made herself sound like an orphan. Which she was far from being.

Jaken bit his lip for a moment. "Ministry of Magic? That's a pretty nice job, I suppose. And visiting wouldn't really work out if he has that kind of job." He thought for a moment. He had never been to Oslo. "That would work."

Jaken laughed and stated, "Well, it won't be anytime soon though. I think it would be better if we knew each other more before I inform mom of that." Jaken smiled. He knew that his mother would be all over that plan, even if Jaken barely knew Estrella. "In any case, I am sure that she would agree to it."

Jaken let go of his broom to fold his arms in a resting state. He shook his head, "I don't think so...from what I remember." He couldn't help but wonder if she didn't have much of a relatioship with her father, or if he were just deceased altogether. Jaken decided not to assume anything, and not to push any questions. I don't want to make her feel insecure. That would be the last thing I need.

"It keeps him out of the Herrogard all the time," she laughed nervously, "So I suppose that his job is a rather busy one. I think that the Ministry there is in Oslo, but don't quote me on that!" Estrella grinned as she looked back to Jaken.

"Most definitely," she chuckled, "I think it would be fun. Although, I'd need my grandfather's approval first, and I have no idea how easy it would be to get that." She grimaced, feeling that after the summer's events he would be hard pressed to let her do anything.

Estrella's lip pursed as she contemplated what to say to Jaken, knowing that she had left him in the dark about her parental situation. "My mother is dead," she started quietly, "But my dad is very much alive." And I have no idea where he is at the moment. "I don't talk about him a lot, as you can probably tell." She forced a small smile, placing her arms about her chest.

Jaken nodded, indicating that he understood. "In any case, I guess you would spend the majority of your break alone. That doesn't sound much fun at all." He shrugged, "I am not sure. I don't even know where the Ministry in Bulgaria is, if they had one anyway."

Jaken sighed, smiling, "Well, you would be under watch with my mom. He sounds like a strict man." Seeing her grimace, he quickly assumed that it was true.

Jaken quickly looked away, wondering how to reply to her remark. At least she had one parent...however, if she is staying with her grandfather, then things must not be going too well. He finally chosen a few words, "Sorry, for your loss. I don't know how to sympathize for that. And...you don't have to tell me anything about your father." Jaken looked back to her. He forced a smile on his face, though it didn't hide the concern he had felt.

Estrella nodded. "That is pretty much how it is." Especially since Sophia was not going to be there, not that she had talked to Estrella much anyways. "The upside of that is I have a whole library to myself." She grinned at that, knowing that she had no chance of reading every book in the Herrogard even if she spent a lifetime inside it. "The Ministry in Bulgaria? I would guess in the capital, although don't quote me on that."

She laughed. "Your mom sounds like a neat woman! It would be cool to meet her." Indeed, Valcan was strict, if you could call him that. She sincerely wished that she could spend her break with friends. But she had lied to him one too many times, she figured.

Frowning a bit, she shrugged her shoulders. "She died when I was five- You don't have to apologize for anything." Her lips pulling up in a smile, she added, "I've long since gotten over it. And my father? Well.. he- you know, I think I'll take you up on that. That is probably something for another time." She didn't want to give the impression that she was trying to hide something from Jaken but it wasn't just anyone you told that your father was a Death Eater. She didn't want to scare him away. And besides, she had no idea where her dad was now, let alone being in contact with him. She had tried, but it had been futile. Either he was in serious trouble or he wanted her out of his life for good. A huge part of her hoped it was the former.

Jaken shook his head, "Sorry about that..." Seeing her grin about the library, Jaken chuckled, "I assume that you are a reader." Jaken tried to recall where the Ministry was in Bulgaria. His father would have to know...considering that he had gone there many times. He shrugged, "My dad might know. He has had business with the them before. Probably in Sofia, I would assume."

Jakem beamed, "She is." He frowned a bit. Namina had such a warm personality, but Kalif keeps her in fear. And, she is almost always never alone. He couldn't tell Estrella the entire truth, but at least he could go around it. "She loves almost everyone. And, she is always eager to meet anyone new."

Jaken winced. Such a young age to lose a mother. He was glad that she wasn't mourning, though he thought it would always hurt. He grinned, "And I'll hold you to that." He felt relieved whenever she didn't want to talk about her father. "Eh, mine is a bit...off. That might be because he is a D-" Jaken suddenly stopped. He had almost told her about the path Kalif had chosen. Jaken glanced away, hoping that she didn't hear. He was close to mumbling anyway...

Estrella laughed. "Don't worry about it. Of course I read- I'm a Ravenclaw! I mean, isn't that the stereotype floating around?" She nodded at his comment about the Bulgarian Ministry, her mind wandering to the stereotypes that the houses carried. Ravenclaws were supposed to be stuck up, Slytherins nasty, Gryffindors pigheaded, and Hufflepuffs, well, what was there to say about Hufflepuffs? It only reaffirmed her belief that opinion should not be based purely on rumors.

She gave Jaken a warm smile, feeling that he was holding back something. "She sounds like a wonderful person," she stated, wondering what the rest of Jaken's family was like. She wasn't going to pry, however, as Jaken was giving her that courtesy about her own family.

Her smile was small as she looked back to him, quite glad that Jaken didn't press the matter. At this point she wasn't sure how she felt about the man who sired her, internal conflict plaguing her. Drawing back to her own thoughts she had not been listening intently, something that she felt bad about. "What was that? I'm sorry, I was thinking about something else." She gave him an apologetic grin, feeling like quite the idiot.

Jaken laughed as well, "Uhm, I haven't been here in a Hogwarts School to know about stereotypes." He only knew about Slytherin, and that was because of Kalif's stories...and that's where the majority of the Dark Wizards come from.

Jaken smiled. He loved his mother, and it made him happier to hear a compliment about her. "Just wait until you meet her..." He paused, "And then you would meet my dad as well." He bit his lip. Trying not to frighten her, he added, "They are always together." He forced a smile. He then laughed; it was a fact at the least.

Jaken sighed in relief. I almost slipped and told her about my father being a Death Eater! That has never happened before. What is going on with me? I have never acted this way before... He shook his head. He was entirely glad that Estrella was thinking about something else. He finally replied, "Don't be sorry. I am rather glad that you were distracted. But don't worry about it, it's nothing."

Estrella smirked as she looked to the Slytherin boy; what was she thinking? "Well, now you know another," she laughed, shaking her head. "I'm sure you'll be familiar with them soon enough."

"I'd love to meet your parents," she stated. She grinned warmly, wondering what was bothering Jaken. When he mentioned his dad he seemed to bite his lip. What was the reason behind the mannerisms? Well, she wasn't going to inquire. She had enough secrets of her own.

She cocked her head to the side, smiling oddly. She was curious to know what he had said now, whereas before she did not have a clue. "Okay," she replied, chuckling at him.

Not having even kept track of the sunset as they were doing, she squinted, noting that dusk would soon be upon them. She didn't want to miss dinner in the Great Hall either. "It's getting dark," she stated absentmindedly, her voice trailing.

Jaken laughed, "I suppose so. I just don't think I'll ever get used to this weather. I might even have to cut my hair in the summer." He fingered it, and felt rather saddened. He loved his long hair, very much.

Jaken smiled a bit. It would be rather interesting for her to meet Namina. Though she might pester Estrella and play with her hair or something of the sort. "Maybe in the future...way far from now." He laughed. It was a bit too soon to meet parents.

Jaken glanced at the sky. He nodded, "It is, isn't it. I haven't noticed. Do you think we need to head back up to the castle in a moment? Or even now?" He smirked, waiting upon her answer.

Estrella laughed as she tried to imagine Jaken with short hair. "Is that such a bad thing? Maybe you'll find you like it!" She smiled, able to tell that he was one of those people who was attached to his hair. Thinking of it, she couldn't imagine herself with short hair. It just wasn't- her.

"Of course in the future," she laughed a bit nervously, wondering what the whole scenario would be like.

She bit her lip. "Probably," she murmured, not particularly wanting to but knowing that it would look bad if she, a prefect, were caught outside after dark. "I kind of don't want to though."

Jaken grinned, "Kinda. I wouldn't really have the red in my hair. I have had short hair before, and I refuse to have it again." He laughed a bit. It seemed rather silly to love hair, especially his own.

Jaken chuckled, "You might even be her little doll to fix up. She is into the whole make-up, hair fixing thing. Her profession." He shrugged.

Jaken sighed. He knew what she meant. He didn't really want to leave either. He smirked, "And why is that?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back