A Change In Surname

"I can't believe I didn't see you before this! How are you?" Lily exclaimed, realizing she had knocked his drink over. "Sorry about your drink. Can I get you another one?" She took a step back, and couldn't help but appreciate the male form in front of her. "So what have you been up to? Its been, what, two years now?"

Running a hand through his hair as was habit when he was around those of the opposite sex, Luke grinned. "Yeah, I thought I was a loner here. Guess I didn't look hard enough." Of course, he should have expected one of his cousin's best friends to be here. "Can't complain." He shrugged. "I've been spending most of my time at home. And yourself?" He was quite glad that he had run into someone who he could be semi comfortable around. Glancing down at the can, he picked it up, dumped the rest of its contents and shook his head. "Nah, don't worry about it." The aluminum crinkled as he crushed it with his hand. "Two years- yep, I'd say that's about right. Time flies, huh?" He had noticed that Lily had grown up a good bit, though he had to remind himself that she was a good four years younger than he.

His toes curling in the wet sand, Chace was silent as he waded through the chilly water at ankle depth. It was mind boggling that he went to school on the other side of this massive ocean. He was quite glad that he had ditched the robes and been offered a different set of clothes; they hung on his body like another skin, but they were better than baking like a meatloaf and making him out as the odd duck.

The party was going well; everyone seemed to be having a good time, and he was happy for the new couple. The sixteen year old boy was avoiding certain individuals as a general rule, but he didn't go out of his way to be unfriendly. He looked up as he saw Andromeda, on her own. Hadn't she been dating the old Head Boy or something? While she had screwed up things with Kat for him- well, she really didn't, that was his fault after all- he decided he better put it behind him. With a small smile, he approached her.

"Hey, Andy. Having a good time?"

Andy turned at the sound of his voice and instantly looked around to see if Kat were anywhere near. What was the protocol now? Could she talk with him? Kat had at the ceremony so perhaps it was ok for Andy to as well, after all they couldn't surely hold a grudge against each other forever, could they?

"Hi Chace" she even offered a smile as she looked down at her painted toe nails in the water, the girls really went all out when they wanted to look good and Andy was beginning to enjoy it more so too. The whole tom-boy image she once had was now well and truly gone.
"I'm having a lovely time. How about you?"

She knew all about the fights with Sumner and couldn't help but think this must be awkward as hell for him to be here. Looking back up at him she couldn't resist the inclination to flirt a little, he was after all ridiculously gorgeous and now that he was out of his magical robes, looked hotter than ever.
"You changed too I see" Andy went out of her way to look him up and down slowly and appreciatively before turning back out to look at the ocean, a cheeky grin on her face.

Estrella and Jaken couldn't have chosen a better place for this, Cyndi thought for what seemed like the hundreth time as the cool ocean breeze swept her hair around. The night air was fantastic and the reception was every bit as enjoyable as the wedding had been. Cyndi had changed her clothes into something more suitable for a night at the beach(The outfit). The flip flops that she had worn were long abandoned under a table and as she walked along the beach, she loved the feeling of the sand on her toes. Cyndi's friends were scattered around, some dancing, others conversing and others eating and being merry.

"Yeah, time really does fly. I cannot believe Stray graduated on me and is married!" Lily said with a smile. "Darn her for leaving me behind." She made a smirking face at Luke, hoping he would understand she was joking. "I have one more year, but at least I am finally legal to perform magic outside of school. Makes life so much easier. Now if I can just pass my apparation tests, I will be all set to go" she added with a laugh. She looked about and wondered who Luke had come with. "So you here by yourself? I don't see the rest of the family."

Kat was glad to be out of her dress and into something way more comfortable. It wasn't very fancy or dressy, but at least her jeans and white tank was comfy and cute. She had looked for Sumner, but couldn't find him anywhere so she just decided to take a stroll down the beach, walking right in the surf. As she walked Kat saw Andy talking to Chace and somewhere from deep within her the little green monster reared its ugly head. Oh heavens Kat knock it off she thought angrily at herself as she turned and walked off the other way. She stopped for a little bit to people watch as the party went on, but then continued on a little further down the beach until eventually she stopped and sat down, not caring if her bum got a little damp as she could easily fix that.

Sumner felt more like himself once he got out of that damn monkey suit. Dressy togs weren't his style, but it was about his friend's day, not him, so he'd donned the suit and tie with little murmur. Sand found its way in his trainers but his jeans kept out most of it. He was glad the weather was still nice enough to wear a t-shirt. He walked the beach, idly searching for Kat. It didn't take long to spot her sitting away from the others on the sand. Grinning, he rubbed the back of his neck before tucking his hands in his pockets and walking toward her.

"Knut for your thoughts," he murmured, crouching down beside her with his hands clapsed loosely.

Kat was sitting looking out over the ocean with her toes dipped in the edge of the water when she heard a voice that made her heart sing. She looked at him with a warm smile on her face and said, "Just thinking. Wondering what it'll be like to be married...years down the road of course." Almost immediately she kicked herself for voicing that thought out loud. Teenage boys didn't think about marriage, or at least most of them didn't anyways and she was sure that this was going to freak Sumner out slightly. Though it wasn't like she hadn't thought about what it would be like to be married to him...to give every piece of herself to him in every way, but even she knew that they were both far too young to be thinking of things like that. Kat stood up and dusted herself off and held her hand out for him to take. They strolled along the beach together hand in hand until she stopped and turned to face him saying, "You know I could stay here like this forever with you!" Silly as it sounded it was true. Sumner Reine had stolen her heart and she was nearly one hundred percent positive that she didn't want it back...it was his to keep as long as he wanted it.

Sumner hugged her close, his long arms wrapped around her, chin lightly on top of her head. "I could too." He looked out of light grey eyes at the churning waves of the ocean. "Pro Quidditch players travel a lot," he shrugged, "but I could floo home every night in time for dinner," he grinned. The ring he'd given her, although it was too soon for anything majorly serious, was a sort of promise ring. His tone was light but his heart beat with a steady thrum, just for her, just for his Kat.

Kat snorted when he said that he'd floo home every night for dinner. "You mean in time to make me dinner right? I don't really do the whole cooking thing...I was hoping you'd be the one taking care of that," she said jokingly taking a finger and poking him in the side. Kat stood on tipped toes, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissed him...kissed him like there was no tomorrow. After a few minutes she pulled back, slightly lightheaded which was a feeling that she had never gotten over, and said, "And that right there I never get tired of!" She rested her head on his chest, listening to his heart beat with the ocean in the background. Without a shadow of a doubt she loved him with every fiber of her being and for now this was enough...this was definitely all she needed.

"Maybe we'll live on take out and butterbeer," Sumner murmured with a grin against her lips. He kissed her back, breathing through his nose, his hands convulsively clasping against her back. Withdrawing, shoulders hunched so he could embrace her as much as he could, he knew he'd never feel about another person the way he did with this girl in his arms. "We should go find the others, or I might be tempted to kidnap you." Kissing her forehead, he took her hand and walked with her across the beach toward their friends.

"You're probably right. I'd hate for them to send a search party after us," Kat joked as she let Sumner lead her back across to where everyone else was gathered. She looked further down the beach and spotted Andy and Chace still talking. Why was this bothering her so much? What on earth could make her so jealous about him talking to someone? It wasn't right and she was going to make a vow that no matter what she was going to stop it from occurring again. Kat wrapped one arm around Sumner's waist with his arm draped over her shoulder and pulled him in closer to her. This was where she was supposed to be.

Jaken changed to a casual black shirt and a pair of black and red trunks. He was standing somewhat close to his wife, before giving her a small kiss on the head as he murmured, "I'm going to go swimming." He winked at her, and he pulled off his black shirt, revealing his obvious muscles from years of working out. He approached the waters before plunging in head first. He emerged from underwater and shook his head, splatters of water going everywhere. Jaken laughed and he proceeded to dive underwater, using the Bubble-head charm to snorkel the magical way, his eyes straining to see the underwater sea life.

Estrella could only smile as Jaken pecked her on the forehead and proceeded to pull off his shirt. She watched her husband appreciatively as he slipped into the water. Her husband. The word fiance had been strange enough in her thoughts and on her tongue. Now she would have to wrap her mind around yet another new concept. Finding herself on her own, she took a glance around the pavilion before catching sight of one of her best friends.

Approaching the Gryffindor graduate, she inquired, "Having a good time, Cyndi?" She grinned as she dug her toes into the grainy earth beneath her, balancing the half empty can of soda in her hand. A warm breeze lifted wisps of her hair, passing through the thin blue sundress she had changed into before coming to the beach.

Cyndi smiled as she heard the voice of one of her dearest friends. "Oh yea. How about you Mrs.Styx?" Cyndi said with a smile. "That's going to take some getting used to" she added with a laugh referring to her friend's new name.

"Congratulations again" Cyndi said as she reached over to hug her friend while the wind moved her hair gently around. "I am so happy for the two of you. You guys will have to come visit me in my flat in New Zealand sometime." She didn't know where the couple planned on living, but knew that she wanted to remain in touch with them. After all, they had all graduated together and been through a lot together, especially Cyndi and Estrella.

Bringing his left hand to the opposite shoulder, Luke stretched his arms behind his head as he beamed down at Lily. "Yeah, I can hardly believe it myself." He snorted. "How mean of her. Send her something nasty in the mail, perhaps?" The news that his cousin- who was more like a little sister- was getting married had definitely been unexpected. There had been virtually no time to fabricate a story for his sudden voyage to the West Coast. He would have to come up with something good on the drive home in a few days.

The very idea of magic was enough to make Luke's head spin. "Apparation tests?" he asked curiously. He would never be able to catch up with all of these foreign terms. It didn't help that he had never been good at languages. He glanced around and nodded sheepishly. "Yep. Besides you lovely bunch, I'm the only one here. Stray told me not to tell Mom or Dad- well, anybody, really." He did not know what sort of reaction his parents would have, and did not particularly want to be there when they found out.

If it were possible, Estrella's lips would have been upturned all the way to her earlobes. "Couldn't be better," she responded in a soft chuckle. It was true. What was better than having a good time with the people she cared about most? Being referred to as both Mrs. and Styx was completely baffling.

She wrapped her arms around Cyndi and hugged her tightly. The eighteen year old couldn't seem to get enough of hugs and congratulations today. "Thanks! I'm so glad you were able to come," she said warmly and sincerely. "Oooh, you got a flat in New Zealand? We'll definitely come and visit!" She sipped at her pop. For some reason, she was an unstoppable motormouth today. "Are you going to have a job anywhere? I'm sure all the Departments at the Ministry are begging to have you!"

"No complaints," Chace responded with a grin. He really was enjoying his time here, even if he was spending most of it on his own. "I've never been here in my life," he murmured. This was definitely a new experience for him. New country, new views. The concept of a party was raw and foreign to a loner like Chace Harker. He was even beginning to see people in a different light. At Hogwarts New Zealand, he often saw Andromeda as the perpetrator of all of his Kat-related issues. Outside of school, she was completely different. Had he never noticed how pretty she was?

He hoped the flush of red that had risen to his cheeks was not visible in the moonlight as she gave him the once over. Not the kind of attention he was used to. His voice leaking amusement, he chided, "I've changed, huh? How so?" He noticed that she was looking over the ocean, his gaze lingering on the horizon for a moment before returning to Andy. "Find any secret rooms in the Dungeons lately?"

Andromeda often found that when she attempted anything new she was always out of her depth from the get-go and attempting to flirt with an older boy was like paddling without a canoe down dangerous waters and yet she couldn't help herself. Perhaps it was the mixture of the sea air, the beautiful day, the sand, the sea washing over her feet, the night air, the stars in all their glory and the crescent moon. One of her more preferred phases.

She turned her full attention his way, noticing over his shoulder that Kat and Sumner were strolling up the beach. This was ok wasn't it? Andy didn't know what the protocol was for talking to boys who upset their bestfriend because of liking them and she knew deep down that Chace had been a jerk towards Sumner all this time because he liked Kat. So maybe flirting was out and yet it also seemed irisitable.

"I merely meant your clothing" she smiled at him, though she hoped he had changed. The time she had met him with that first year seemed to indicate that he was trying too but a Slytherin never really changed much at all did they? But Estrella had found her love and peace in one. Andy hated being torn and hated any conflict within herself so for the night that was in it threw all other thoughts aside and decided to simply enjoy being here standing with Chace as if he were simply any other good looking guy.

When he mentioned the dungeon she laughed out right turning her amber eyes twinkling in the moonlight full on him.
"I've been to the dungeon just not to any secret rooms, I save those occasion only when I think I might bump into good looking guys down there".

She now seriously wanted to take her foot out of her mouth but it was too late, so instead she glanced back out at the black ocean that just about reflected the moon light.

Cyndi nodded her head. "Yea, I've only begun to unpack, so I'll let you know when I'm more settled." Her flat was pretty tiny, but there was enough room for 1 or 2 more roommates. She hadn't started looking for any, but it was on her list of things to do.

When Estrella asked whether Cyndi was taking a job, her eyes lit up. She had almost forgotten that she hadn't told anyone yet, even though she was planning on keeping it a secret. With a nod, Cyndi leaned closer to Estrella and whispered what she'd be doing. "Don't tell anyone though" she said with a stern look on her face. She couldn't keep the serious face though and ended up smiling instead. "I got a few ministry offers, but when that offer came around, I was just a little more excited by it than by anything the ministry offered me. So, I accepted." She was excited, but also glad that she would have the summer to do nothing more than relax and enjoy her time off.

Having changed in to a more appropriate outfit for the beach - that is, a summery dress and sandals - Katerina joined the rest of the assorted group, there to celebrate the wedding between Estrella and Jaken. The service had been beautiful, and the reception could not have been in a better place. And it was enjoyable, just to relax on the beach, a small group of people, dancing and having a fun time. It was the perfect day. And for the blissfully happy newlyweds, it looked as though it was even better than perfect. Katerina was ecstatic for them. She knew that they were going to be happy together for the rest of their lives. Looking to Yvan, Katerina could only hope that one day, they would be in the same position as the new couple. Their lives together were about to begin in New Zealand. One day they would get married, Katerina hoped, and then they would share that same bliss that Estrella and Jaken were feeling now.
Twirling on the sand, Katerina skipped over to Estrella, a grin on her face. "Well, congratulations Mrs. Styx," she said, happily. "That will take getting used to, I suppose. But I am very glad to see you so happy and to be here to witness such a joyous occaision. I am so happy for you!" she exclaimed. Turning to the other girl, Katerina smiled and extended her hand. "Oh, I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Katerina," she explained.

Chace snorted as he grabbed a fistful of t-shirt. He felt that he could easily tie knots with the fabric he wasn't filling out. "I guess they're an upgrade from robes, huh," he said, rolling his eyes and smiling sheepishly back at the Gryffindor girl. While he knew that Andromeda was one of Kat's best friends, there was no problem with a little flirting, right? After all, she had Sumner. She couldn't be mad at him. Especially when that fact was slapping him across the face. Seeing Kat here with her boyfriend was like rubbing salt into an old wound. However, the Slytherin was determined to have a good time and if Andy could take his mind off of the less pleasant realities, then so be it.

Fighting against the sudden temptation to kick water at the soon to be fifth year, but the sixteen year old restrained himself and took a step further away from the shore instead. He noticed that some were swimming. Maybe that was a good idea for later. Chace might be chicken sh1t when it came to brooms and anything to do with them. However, he had no strange phobia of water, and was perfectly fine in this environment. He blushed even more as Andy made a comment about good looking guys, and turned his head to save face. "Oh really, now. Maybe you're down there all the time because you can't admit your love for Slytherin boys?"

Andy wanted nothing more than to spurt with laughter and had to hold it back with considerable force of will.
" Oh yes because my love for Slytherin boys is legendary" she grinned at him noticing he had moved back from the waters edge a bit. Was he afraid of the water or something? Surely that wasn't possible?

"Not afraid of a bit of water are we Chace?" her voice held an almost simpering tone to it as she looked at him from under thick lashes. Looking down at the water ebbing to and fro around her feet she smiled, loving the sensation. Then a huge piece of seaweed came slinking from the eddying water to land around her feet and Andy feeling only the slimy disgusting object begin to tangle itself around them yelped and jumped back turning herself so she was holding onto Chace. She looked down to then see it was only seaweed and cringed. Realizing at the same time that she was now a breaths width apart from the Slytherin she could only laugh at the predicament she had gotten herself into.

"Ok... do not laugh" her voice held no more of the simpering tone but was giddy and lighthearted, the wind whipping her hair back from her face as she looked at him. She was on very dangerous ground here, she knew it remembering suddenly the last time herself and Chace had been this close.

"I can't wait to see the place!" Estrella said excitedly. The newlywed leaned in towards her friend as she made motions to tell her something important. Her eyes widened as Cyndi told her what she wanted kept a secret. "Holy heck, Cyndi! That is excellent! I wouldn't turn that down either." She rolled her eyes a bit, but all in good nature. "Oh, excuse me while I go and tell everyone here..." she joked, moving backwards as if she really planned to spill the beans to everyone in sight. Laughing, she punched Cyndi in the shoulder playfully. "Don't worry- my lips are sealed."

She spun around as Katerina approached them. Throwing her arms around the Durmstrang graduate, she gave her a tight hug. "Thanks! I'm glad you were able to I'm going to have fun getting used to it myself." She grinned widely at the both of her friends as they introduced themselves to one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back