OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
EDIT: We're now watching the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2! Feel free to share any reflections up until this movie! :)

Hey good people!
I was considering watching through the HP movies again (which I haven't done in a very long time - LotR gets at least an anual viewing and Harry Potter... has not, some of the later films I may have only seen one time!), but I thought what if I did it with other people? That might motivate me to see this idea through, too.

So every week I'll post a topic for the next HP movie, and it'd be great if a bunch of us took time through the week to watch that film and then share your thoughts/reactions in the topic. :)

This week we're starting with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone!

HPPScover.png

What do you remember feeling when you first watched the movie?
Watching it again, what are your reactions? Does it hold up?
What changes did they make from the book which worked or didn't work so well at all?

Once I've watched it (maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow?) I'll post some thoughts of my own.
Planning to watch it later in the week yourself? Let us know to look forward to your contribution!

I'm excited for the next 8 weeks or so and hearing all your thoughts and revisiting these movies once again! :)

Last edited:
I haven't watched it yet, but plan to this week but...I remember being pretty surprised by how Hermione was pronounced when I first watched the movie. xD

I haven't watched it yet, but plan to this week but...I remember being pretty surprised by how Hermione was pronounced when I first watched the movie. xD
Definitely agreed - I'd never encountered the name before, and can't remember what my reading-pronunciation of it was now, but I remember it not being that.

In preparation for watching these, I asked my wife if she'd join me. She said she might watch the first one with me but not the others. She claimed only the first one had "that magical touch". When I poked about this more, she said the joy of discovering another world and all the details of it without all the evil-afoot type stuff. Which I thought was an interesting perspective because the first film is quite optimistic throughout and the reality of trouble is only sort of realized fully toward the end, but then Gryffindor wins the house cup and everybody's happy again.
So I'll be interested to see if I sense that "magic touch" tonight!
We all know the books get darker as they go, and it makes sense the movies do too, so I asked her if she felt the same about the books (only the first being quality) and she didn't have the same preference for book 1 over all other books.

I saw this thread and was interested in the idea of a group watch but if it's solo I'm going to pass. :r

I do remember liking the first few movies but I am a bit of a book elitist so there were always things that I was disappointed by. And I remember just not understanding everyone's "this is the end of an era" when the last movie came out because for me that was when the seventh book released. Still, I hope you enjoy the nostalgia of the rewatches, I do think the first three were especially charming films.

I mean, maybe there are others here that want to watch in a group too! I just don't want the scheduling headache. :)
If some of you do, just make sure to share your thoughts in the thread after!

I've just started my watch now. :claire:

Ended up watching this yesterday, and the film is still relatively charming. It was a sweet adaptation and first instalment of the franchise. Like the kids are fine, the adult cast are all great. I don't really remember how the film made me feel when I first watched it, but it was nice to return to it.

Tho the graphics like CGI don't feel like they've held up particularly well. Which might just be the first film, i don't remember the graphics in subsequent ones being as rough around the edges.

Tho the graphics like CGI don't feel like they've held up particularly well.

I don't know what you're talking about... isn't this the shining example of CGI? ;)

1ee08d70417f0b809bf2b7d67e8c9a7af401f838.jpg

I do remember when I watched it for the umpteenth time and caught that Harry is animated here, no longer a real human. It very much feels like an out of place video game moment to me.

Yeah! I wondered if it was just remastered to a degree to make it look better for modern tvs etc. Because either I didn't notice it, or it's just suddenly much worse.

My biggest take away was also that the special effects did not age well.
I noticed it most of all when Neville's broom goes haywire and he ends up hanging off a part of the castle and then falling. It's like... clearly a doll or something. And they go to such great lengths not to show his face when that whole sequence is happening.

Overall, I felt like it was still charming. They did a good job with casting, Richard Harris will always be my Dumbledore.
I kept waiting for the potion test in the final sequence for the philospher's stone (forgetting that they removed that from the movie). I guess they thought it'd seem cruel to just leave Ron unattended?
And I'll miss the singing of the school song, but I think there's a deleted scene of that somewhere.
It felt like a good adaptation of the book, though when I first read the books I remember feeling more sadness about the end of the school year and Harry having to return to the Dursley's. I think it was continually emphasized in the book that Harry didn't have a place apart from Hogwarts, whereas in the movie that's not hit as hard.

They did a good job with casting, Richard Harris will always be my Dumbledore.
I'm only halfway through my re-watch but I agree that the casting was good as well. The Dursleys were as terrible as I remembered them and expected them to be when I first read the books, and the professors were all cast really well.
I think there's a deleted scene of that somewhere.
Yes! I think the DVDs xD had the deleted scene; I bet it's on youtube somewhere these days. But I do remember seeing it.

Youtube seems to suggest the deleted scene is from the fourth movie.
Too bad. Seeing the younger crew sing along would've been great.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6cJnQQsWc

I've never seen this before, but I appreciate scenes like this from the later movies because it really emphasizes to me the fact they were kids going to a magic school, and schools have things like school songs with hand motions. I wish they would have kept things like this in the movie (and Krum's reaction :lol: )

If you haven't watched Philospher's Stone yet, I'd still love to hear your thoughts!
But, since it's Sunday, we're switching the disc to the next film. The Chamber of Secrets!
Something Evil Has Returned to hogwarts! :lol:

CoSposter.jpg

Just from the marketing, I get why my wife feels how she does about this movie on. It's hardly the fun flying car cover that the books had.
Not sure when I'll get to this movie this week, but hopefully the special effects don't stand out as much and I'm looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts!

Again too lazy to actually rewatch but I kind of agree with your wife there, the marketing made the films more dark and serious even though the early ones especially were more lighthearted, that cover art sticks with me. Even with the whole Chamber of Secrets and the basilisk. I think from the book some of the wacky things (like everything Gilderoy Lockhart) stuck out more. I think I read 1 and 3 more (3 I remember being my favourite overall) tbh. I think the balance was a bit off in later books and even more in movies because I certainly remember the light hearted moments feeling quite odd and out of place in the later films, especially with the darker cinematography.

I say all this as though I'm an expert on film and clearly I am not, lol. I remember the flying car in the movie and I'm sure it looks...not great now but for what it was I thought it was alright at the time?

(My other thing with the books v movies is obviously Ron and Hermione were written to get together yet the movies felt sure about Harry and Hermione and like 11-12 year old me was like "what are you, stupid?" :r )

I've enjoyed re- watching how hard the Dursleys fight to keep Harry from the magical world. In the first movie, the whole letters pouring down the chimney and them going to some isolated place only to be found by Hagrid to this one with Vernon installing a cage on the window and locking him in only to have teens driving a magic car come for Harry. They have such a poor understanding of how magic works, which is the point to be sure, but then they have to deal with the most magical things. Still gives me a good chuckle all these years later. :p

Okay, so I rewatched Chamber of Secrets yesterday while I was doing other things. As someone who didn't read or watch Harry Potter until I was a teenager and many had already come out (grew up in a very religious household - I was able to see HBP in theaters), I feel like maybe I had a different view watching them the first time than people who may have watched them as smaller children. But I did enjoy them a lot.

I haven't reread the books in a good while so comparing them to that, I'm a little foggy. But one thing I am just story line confused about: why did they let Harry go by himself with the floo powder for his first time? We see in the 7th book that it's possible for more than one person to travel like that (or maybe I'm remembering the mechanics of it wrong). But like... let's send the 12 year old into the chimney and hope he does the right thing. I suppose I'm looking at it to practically.

This movie had a lot of weird titled camera angles, and I tried to track them to see if there was a reason, but... not really? Like it was there when Vernon was putting the bars on Harry's window, and when we see Lucius in the bookstore, BUT then it was there when Gilderoy is talking to the students during the duelling scene and it's not like anything happened yet. So I found that an interesting choice. I also really loved being reminded of how whimsical the Weasley house set is in this one. Also, the acting for the Dursleys is much more character than real people as we see in later movies when things get serious.

These are just things I noticed and took notes on before I got distracted, but it was a good movie. Not my favorite, but I'll watch it every now and again. The Dobby animation still holds up really well imo (like watch the way the light changes on his head when he's in Harry's bedroom... it just is so good). But then the car, specifically around the train, felt less good. But it was all, in general, better than the first movie.

Also, I forgot the Hogwarts had a board of governors until I rewatched the movie, and I wish there was more information of what they do. Are they mostly wealthy or prominent figure heads? Obviously, they have the power to get rid of the headmaster. Maybe it's more like non-profit boards.

I don't know if this was the kind of things Nick was expecting to hear from a rewatch, but these are my thoughts :lol:

I don't know if this was the kind of things Nick was expecting to hear from a rewatch, but these are my thoughts :lol:
All thoughts are welcome!

Some interesting observations. Re: floo - if you can floo together, that might have been a decision that JKR made later. She did change things as she went, and it's obviously important for the plot that Harry ends up elsewhere in Chamber of Secrets.

Hogwarts New Zealand does not have a board of governors, before anybody asks. :r The NZ ministry is small enough that there can be more frequent and direct contact. Let's say that.

I'll reply to your other observations when I've watched!

This movie had a lot of weird titled camera angles, and I tried to track them to see if there was a reason, but... not really?
I actually looked up the director because I wondered if it was a stylistic thing, and it does seem to be. From this website, " Columbus also uses a lot of director's point of view in the movie, utilizing special camera angles that he would like us to see from. Of course he incorperates almost every type of point of view in his films, but many are the director's point of view. In certain movies, such as the Harry Potter movies or Home Alone movies, the camera angles are looking up towards the adult actors (and vice versa) to give it the height perspective as well."

Okay! So I finished it a couple days ago but am just having time to post now.

First, the scene with Harry looking at the family photo album reminded me of something I meant to say after the first movie - the little Harry Potter in that moving photograph is way older than I thought Harry was when his parents died... but it maths out to Harry being 15 months old when Lily died. Which makes the opening scene of the first movie pretty ridiculous (and I just skimmed the first few pages of the first book and the impression left is certainly that Harry was more infant than toddler... JKR must have decided on dates later. :tut: )

Now on to CoS:
Some interesting observations. Re: floo - if you can floo together, that might have been a decision that JKR made later. She did change things as she went, and it's obviously important for the plot that Harry ends up elsewhere in Chamber of Secrets.
Harry didn't see the Malfoys in Knockturn Alley, so actually completely pointless to have him floo alone and get lost in the movie.

I also wondered if the car engine failed arriving at Hogwarts because of the enchantments which protect the castle. (Not a movie observation, just a thought as I was watching it.)

Thanks, @Professor Adorah Zumwalt for making me notice all the awful camera angles. I would have been oblivious had you not pointed them out.

I liked the (I assume) film-only McGonagall sass to Lockhart "your skills, after all, are legend." Which he misses and I probably missed on previous viewings.

Godric Gryffindor was either incredibly small or his sword magically changes size to suit its user or the movie decided the sword being the right size for a 12 year old was the most important thing. :tut:

I never realized how ridiculous Fawkes flying four people out of the chamber of secrets was until I laughed at it here. Also, CGI sucked in that moment.

Finally, their decision to have Lucius begin to utter the killing curse because Harry freed Dobby was... wtf. Just casual murder in the hallway at Hogwarts. No subtlety at all.

Last edited:
It's late, but we're still moving - Prisoner of Azkaban this week!

PoAart.jpg

In my mind, this is the point in the series when things really start to come together and the past and future of Harry/Voldemort/etc. come into focus.
This is also probably where I've seen the films from this point on the least, and I'm not looking forward to seeing the awful face-in-the-fireplace-coals rendition of what I really pictured in a much better way when I read the books. :tut:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you watch it, or what you remember about it without watching it, too!

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to seeing the awful face-in-the-fireplace-coals rendition of what I really pictured in a much better way when I read the books. :tut:
I remember also having a reaction at this scene but forgot it was in this movie! :p

I can't recall many specifics from my initial watch, but I do remember this being my favorite book of the series for a while, but I didn't feel the same about the movie. I know I saw it with my family, and my dad was complaining about how visually dark the whole movie was. xD

I haven't finished my watch, but I did really enjoy Harry's ride on the Knight bus. It was what I hoped for from the books, and I thought that transferred to page nicely.

I remember also having a reaction at this scene but forgot it was in this movie! :p
I was wrong, not this movie. Which dawned on me when I realized all the ground they had to cover and Sirius-in-the-embers was a Sirius that Harry was glad for and not terrified of. :tut: Maybe movie 4?

Now to my notes:
Holy moley did puberty hit these kids. I immediately was like "these aren't 13 year olds D: "
Harry's casual magic outside of school. Lumos maxima? I know he doesn't know about the trace yet, but holy geez you'd think if he didn't want to be expelled he'd maybe take that seriously? No magic out of school means no magic out of school, friend.
Also Uncle Vernon didn't notice that Harry is supposedly sleeping with his glasses on?

It dawned on me watching Dudley that he's totally all the failed Wonka kids in one. Veuca Salt in his insistence on more presents, Augustus Gloop in his gluttony, Mike Teavee since he's glued to the TV this movie... and I gguess it's his aunt that ends up most like Violet Beauregarde this time. :r
Hedwig is smart enough to escape the cage and fly to the Leaky Cauldron and Harry dumb enough to leave Hedwig behind in the movie I guess? "Smart bird you've got there, Harry" uh-huh. (I think in the book he sends Hedwig to the burrow ahead of Marge's visit?)

I noticed a wizard reading Hawking's "A brief history of time" in the Leaky Cauldron that I'd never noticed before, which felt like a fun little movie foreshadowing of the time stuff.
And while I'm talking about muggle stuff - this projector in Snape's class - seems to be a lightbulb and a motor running it but it's cool because there's no electricity just... magickz as a power source?
And why'd they make Lupin dress like a muggle professor so often (seemed like mostly on his days off or late at night)? Gave up on the whole robe idea this movie pretty hardcore. The trio spend half the film out of their robes and just in casual muggley attire.

I remembered how much I hated how they made werewolves look in this film. Weirdly hairless.

Overall, the pacing of the film felt worse than the previous two. Maybe that's just the timey-whimey stuff and needing to see it all again. I also don't think I liked the ending with the broom one bit. Again, probably aiming for the happy ending moment but my recollection of the book is that the broom arrives mid-school-year and Harry doesn't get it for some time because the professors make sure it's not cursed or something given that there's no sender. I liked that, because in retrospect it shows that Sirius was already trying to look out for and help Harry out (not just on his blood vendetta against Pettigrew).

Okay, rewatched it today and currently rewatching GoF right now because why not.

Harry's casual magic outside of school. Lumos maxima? I know he doesn't know about the trace yet, but holy geez you'd think if he didn't want to be expelled he'd maybe take that seriously? No magic out of school means no magic out of school, friend.

I noticed this, and I believe I remember talking about this like years ago. People were speculating that maybe some simple spells, like Lumos, could be performed with any issue of the trace, but of course, I don't believe that's necessarily true. However, while the trace makes sense, it does make it hard for students to only do book studying the entire summer... now I'm talking more about the actual world than the movies themselves. Anyway...

It dawned on me watching Dudley that he's totally all the failed Wonka kids in one. Veuca Salt in his insistence on more presents, Augustus Gloop in his gluttony, Mike Teavee since he's glued to the TV this movie... and I gguess it's his aunt that ends up most like Violet Beauregarde this time. :r
That is such a beautiful description of Dudley.

And while I'm talking about muggle stuff - this projector in Snape's class - seems to be a lightbulb and a motor running it but it's cool because there's no electricity just... magickz as a power source?
I had the same thoughts, but then I wondered if it was just a similar vibe to the cameras (or the phonograph/gramophone/record player that literally just popped up on the screen as I'm watching GoF :lol: ). I wonder if they've figured out how to charm some things so they're no longer electric. Since there's the car, too, but it obviously has its issues.

I really hate the use of muggle clothing in this movie. I feel like we really lose a lot of the world by just letting the kids not wear robes half the time. Or like even a mix of what non-muggle borns kids would have worn. In general, I wished they would have explored costumes more in the movies. There was so much more potential. I was also about to say that it feels so out of place compared to the other movies and didn't realize it had a one off director. GoF does, too, but it just feels more in line with the others.

I did appreciate the CGI in many aspects as a huge step up, but yes, there werewolf was 10 thumbs down. I used to say PoA was my favorite book (I haven't reread the series in a while), but I do remember being disappointed by how the movie compared.

With our agreed upon disdain for the movies moving the trio into muggle clothing more often, and with Kiersten charging ahead into Goblet of Fire - we push on! But thoughts on previous films are always welcome as you may catch up. :)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!
gofart.jpg

This point in the series feels like 90% diversion from the main arc of the series with that very significant and poignant reminder that stuff's gonna go down soon.
I'm ready to grieve my original HNZ username's name sake all over again. Too bad they'll be wearing those weird long sleeve Ts when it all happens. :tut:

Looking forward to revisiting this film with you this week!

So, i'll catch up with these, but did watch the Chamber of secrets & some of prisoner before I got married etc.

I enjoyed it, the second was always a favourite of mine, and it's a decent enough film still. I think the actors have improve though Ginny's was a bit mehh. (a fun factoid about COS, is that I have also seen COS in french from years back, and where in the english male actors, all their voices had dropped, but the french kids hadn't so there's an absolute pitch difference).
Also recently went back to Glenfinnan bridge (the train-viaduct-car bit) which is a really fun place to visit and then see how the screen again. Like it's an okay viaduct, and has a nice scenic backdrop but it's just...there are nicer viaducts in scotland xD.
The spiders also still absolutely gives me the creeps, i did not enjoy seeing any of that again, and was reminded of the like one the studio built that's still in the studio tour.
Also the end where everyone clapped for hagrid makes me CRINGE

third film - this is one of my favourites ever, just the tone of it, the style, the music, just the vibes of it were *chefs kiss* I think it was right to make it more mature, to start darkening the tone for what was to come, and to play with the fact the kids were older.
Remus and harry's relationship is still so interesting, and I absolutely want more characters to toss around enchanted notes in classes xD
The third film also ends so cringely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back