OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Bi (Kyle)
Matt stood at the end of the hall and watched as graduates, guests, staff members, and prefects entered and settled into their seats. The long house tables had been removed from the hall, leaving enough room for many rows of chairs for everyone in attendance. The decorations for the four houses were gone as well, replaced by simple banners with the Hogwarts symbol on them. The graduates were no longer a part of their house, they stood together as the graduating class of 2062.

After waiting for everyone to sit down, Matt made his way across the stage to take his position at the podium. It was one of the first times he had to do this, and he hoped his nerves weren't showing. There was something different about addressing parents and other guests along with the usual students. He hoped this would all go smoothly. "Welcome everyone to the graduation ceremony of twenty-sixty-two. I would like to thank you all for joining us in this celebration of all the bright young witches and wizards who will be receiving their diplomas today. Seventh years, you should all be proud of what you have achieved." He said with a smile. "Your lives are just beginning, you are the future of wizardkind. I think I speak for all of the staff when I say that our future is a bright one." He said, pausing for a moment. "With that, I'd like to call upon our head students Monday Weeks and Aine Thompson take the podium." With that, Matt finished, stepping to the side to allow the two head students to take the stage

So, here she was. After seven years, Aine was about to leave Hogwarts New Zealand one final time, return home and concoct some story about how she spent her high school years as part of a cult and didn't feel comfortable talking about it in order to try and justify her right to exist in the muggle world. For some reason, the school hadn't booted her out - indeed, they'd continually shown her faith. The badge that still felt oddly weighty on her chest and the fact that she was standing up to speak showed that, and she fully expected to completely shatter that faith in one final spectacle.

At least, that's the story she'd told herself. But in all honesty she didn't necessarily believe it. True, she didn't think she was qualified to speak. She didn't think her own experiences were ones that were relevant to the whole year level, always having felt a little different from everyone. She was here, though, and she would just have to show faith in herself like the staff had shown in her. It had taken eighteen years of her life, but maybe, just maybe, Aine could actually believe that she was actually worth it.

"Good evening Professors, staff, honoured guests, and of course the class of 2062," Aine started, looking around at the room with a nervous smile. "Wow. Who would have thought it, huh? Not me. And I mean, two muggleborn head people? Salazar Slytherin must be rolling around in his grave." Her right leg trembled a little behind the podium, and she looked down at her palm cards, shook her head, and shoved them straight in her pocket. She wasn't going to need them. Whatever she'd written sounded insincere, and now she'd just have to tick off the last thing on her list of fears to confront this year. Speak from the heart and be honest.

"When I first came to Hogwarts, I thought it was a mistake. There was no way someone like me could be a witch, right? I was just some nobody from country Australia. My life was never meant to be exciting. And I came here with a whole bunch of expectations on my shoulders about how I'd find ways to connect the muggle and magical worlds when I really didn't understand either. Or even myself." Aine gave another slight smile. "Not that I was willing to admit that."

"I've learned a lot in my time here, more than I expected to. We've all learned things we can use in our everyday life. We've all learned things we might never use ever again - frogs of the world, I expect you're safe from being turned into grasshoppers."
She paused, hoping people might give her comments some laughs. Not that being a stand up comedian was in her future. "The rats are on thin ice though."

"Importantly, I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I kept thinking I had worked it all out, that I was so smart and so much more wise and mature than everyone else with a deeper inner life and so on, and at thirteen, fourteen, I knew all the secrets of the universe."
She winced. "At eighteen, I can tell you I didn't know a thing. But that brings me to the - alleged - wisdom I have to share with you all tonight. And that's that our lives are only just beginning."

"I thought I'd done something wrong with my life by not knowing what I wanted to do when I graduated, that if I didn't nail the OWLs or the NEWTs my life would be over, that if I hadn't found the love of my life by the time I was sixteen I would be an old maid and I'd be a lost cause, because that's what I thought it meant to be in this magical community."
Aine pointedly didn't look at a couple of students in the crowd at that comment. "But that's really not the case. There's no one right or wrong way to live your life, and we don't have to just be constrained by tradition or doing what our forebears did. Take it from me, an outsider," she laughed.

"We're barely even considered adults at this point. We might not love the hands we've been dealt, and I don't doubt that everyone here will have their own battles to fight and learning experiences to go through over the coming years, coming decades even. But I believe everyone here will be able to face them. We were all sent here for a reason, even if we didn't always believe it. We've all got the ability to do amazing things."
Aine knew she probably ought to wrap it up, in her vague moment of being aware of where she was. She was just letting the words happen, for the most part. "We can take the foundations of what we've gained here wherever the future may take us. Whether that's the spells we've learned, or the friendships we've made. Or maybe that eleven year old with the weight of the world on her shoulders finally learned she was worth something after all, and that's the knowledge she'll take with her beyond the castle walls."

Aine was getting overwhelmed, much to her embarrassment, and definitely knew she had to wrap it up. Her voice was getting a little shaky. "Anyway. My point is that I want us all to go out there and live. Travel the world, take up a new hobby, fall in and out of love. Learn another language, learn a new sport, learn how to bring magic and technology closer. Or maybe just get a good night's sleep for the first time in seven years! Find out who you are. Live your lives, because they really are only just beginning. Believe it or not, you really don't need to have everything together at the ripe old age of eighteen. I certainly don't" She let out a long breath she barely knew she was holding, realizing her legs were still shaking behind the podium. She'd just completely lost the sense of it. "Here's to the class of 2062. The world is our oyster, and we can serve it up however we want. Thank you." With that, she somehow managed to get back to her seat for Monday to add his thoughts. She had no idea what she said, but she didn't think it had been an unmitigated disaster. Not perfect, but it was done.

Monday Weeks could hardly believe that they were all here. Graduation. After so long, it was finally here. And Monday honestly did not want it to be so soon, but at the same time, he wanted to be done with this place. He was tired all of the time, but now he was actually balancing everything out. And Aine Thompson helped a lot with his stress levels. They helped each other out, actually. He no longer felt like such a failure either. He smiled as he watched the Head Girl make her way to the front, and start talking. The little quip about Salazar Slytherin rolling in his grave made him snicker. Aine continued to speak, which he listened intensely. She did make him smile more often than not. He honestly could not think of a better speech, but he was heavily biased for his peer. Once she was done, it was his turn. He went up to the front, and glanced back at Aine. Just looking at her gave him the courage to speak to others. Public speaking made him nervous, who knew.

"I hope everyone enjoyed Aine's speech. She really knew how to word things, and relate to others in ways that she might not even know herself. Anyway, now that's out of the way, I guess it is my turn to talk about the last seven years." Monday shoved his hands into his pockets, as he looked over the professors, students, and family. "I honestly never thought that I would be standing here, speaking to all of you because I can think of several other students here that would be more worthy. I am just an academic student. I never thought of myself as a leader, and somehow, the school did not burn down under my watch. I think it was a miracle." Monday would never speak down about Aine. She helped him so much that he felt that he owed her everything. Although, he felt that she might have done that herself quite well. The head people would make jokes at their own expense, wouldn't they? "I transferred here at the beginning of my third year, and just dove into every single subject because, like Aine, I have a muggle background, and I did not want to be shocked by the magical world when I leave here. Turns out, academics can only get you so far. You can't know everything when you leave here. It is impossible, no matter how much you read and write essays. I know that we have learned the foundation of magic, and now we get to go out and do something with it. Or nothing if you want to head to the muggle world. I suggest, if you want to do that, better brush up on your mathematics. Arithmancy only teaches you how to add. Nothing else."

Monday loved math himself, but he was not about to admit that currently. Or how he thought that the astronomy here was nothing short of hysterical. "So, I don't want to talk for too long. I want to think the professors for their hard work and dedication. My friends, my family, everyone's support for assisting not just me, but all of us to be here, graduating from Hogwarts New Zealand. We all have our challenges now, and in the future. I hope that the relationships that we have made here to be long lasting, and that we can grow to be a better person than we were yesterday. And, if there are any sixth years out there that might be the next head person, don't stress too much over this speech. I rewrote it several times, and decided to just wing it. Anyway, see you guys out in the real world!" Monday hoped that it would be all right, and at least he did not swear. That was progress.

Matt listened proudly to the two speeches, glad they weren't too critical. Well, Monday's was a bit critical of himself. Mat still thought he was a perfectly fine choice for head boy. He stepped forward with a smile. "Thank you both." He said kindly, before turning his attention to the other graduates. "To the class of Twenty-sixty two, I wish you all the luck in the future. I know you will all be amazing. Once I call your name, come up to the stage to receive your diploma.” He took the group of graduates in for a moment, then smiled and read the first name on his list.

Aurora had always known her own graduation was coming, and knew that this would be the next step on the journey she wanted to make. To be a healer, to be like uncle Ty, but it felt surreal it was actually happening. It felt additionally surreal that she'd be graduating and then be an aunt within a few months, but she was also very very eager for it. Hogwarts had been amazing for her, had given her all the opportunities she could've wanted but it was also going to be nice to be out in the real world, to be in amongst the other people in the world and be working. She couldn't wait for that to be the case.

Aurora applauded loudly as the head boy and girl went onto the stage. The two speeches were wonderful, both heartfelt and funny too. She found herself, smiling at each of them, and found it interesting that both seemed to think that they weren't worthy of the positions when Aurora knew there was no one she could've imagined speaking to them at that point. She applauded loudly for them both and felt so overjoyed that they had been the ones to lead them. Then the names began being called, and it was little surprise to Aurora Archer that she was one of the first.

Aurora walked the stage proudly, head held high, knowing that she had managed it, that she was on her way to being a healer, that she would start being able to help people properly. She shook the head master's hand and then walked off the stage, lingering a little to wait for her sister who would be just after her.

Rosie Archer was glad that graduation was finally here. The semester had been one of the busiest she had ever experienced, between Accio and then her NEWTs, as well as the fact that now being five months pregnant, everything was just a bit of a struggle. Slowly getting worse and worse. The morning sickness hadn't really faded yet, she still felt and was sick most mornings. But she'd be able to graduate and she'd be able to spend time with Xinyi and just..that would be nice. This wasn't really how she had pictured her graduation going, but she certainly didn't mind.

Rosie cheered for the head students, and felt herself well up at what they said. Her emotions were very much all over the place, and it was a wonder she hadn't started crying near immediately when things had gotten started. Her hands rested on her bump, feeling as the baby kicked and when it moved. She loved them so much already. Rosie glanced into the crowd and easily found Xinyi in amongst it, and she smiled warmly to him. But the speeches were finishing, and the names were being called.

Rosie applauded for her sister, watching proudly as she crossed the stage. Then it was Rosie's turn. She walked across the stage and shook the head master's hand, thanking him profusely in the few seconds she had for everything that Hogwarts had given her. Then she joined her sister at the end of the stage and they went to their seat together, ready to celebrate everyone else in their year too.

Isadora couldn't believe the day had come, she was graduating today. Honestly, she hated it. Isadora's future was full of uncertainties. She knew her parents were disappointed in her, she suspected they were hoping to marry her off to someone so she wouldn't be their problem anymore, she had no idea where her sister was and she didn't know what she wanted to do. She didn't want to leave this place, Hogwarts had become her home. She had felt like crying for most of the day and now at the ceremony, she couldn't help the tears. She kept wiping them away, but she knew her eyes were red and puffy. She knew she must look silly, weeping like this, but she didn't care. She wasn't ready to leave, but she had to.

Unlike her classmates, there was no one for her here, no one to watch this moment. She was going to be all alone in the world after this. She glanced at Margo and Cameron, wishing she could ask them to stay with her forever. She didn't say it, but she hoped they would anyway. Things with Cameron were weird, but he was hers, her friend, things would go back to normal and they would be friends forever, right? She reached over for Margo's hand, which felt safer than Cameron's. She barely listened to the speeches, though she was sure they were both very good and intelligent.

She only let go of Margo's hand when it was her friend's turn to get her diploma. Isadora clapped so hard it hurt her hands. Then, before she knew it, it was her turn. As if in a daze, she headed to the podium and received the piece of paper that she hated right now. She headed back to her seat, clapping just a hard for Cameron when it was his turn. When the ceremony was over, she would have to look for a quiet corner, she needed a good cry without anyone watching her.

Demetrius had obviously known graduation was going to happen. Everyone knew that's what happened when you finished schooling. But he didn't anticipate the swirling mix of emotions that inhabited his chest. On one hand, he felt oddly proud of himself. He'd made it this far when he kind of doubted he ever would. But he also felt a little hollow, stinged with regrets. Demetrius didn't think he really made the most out of Hogwarts, and as many good memories, there were bad ones too.

He tried to settle this chaotic blend of feelings as he listened to the speeches. He clapped hard for Aine, and then for Monday, proud of both of them for what they'd both accomplished. They were great speeches in his opinion, though as another muggleborn, Demetrius might have been slightly biased. They just resonated with him. He hoped he'd keep in touch with Monday and Aine, a little worried that once they graduated everyone he knew would just forget about him. Demetrius shook off that feeling. Now wasn't the time.

Demetrius clapped for his friends when it was their turn to get their certificate, having to wait a while since he was right at the end of the alphabet. He felt awkward, suddenly the whole room's attention on him as his named was called out. It felt trivial - a piece of parchment to signify seven years of his life. But he also felt overcome with emotion. This was it. If Demetrius was honest with himself, he wouldn't have minded crying. But he didn't do tears, least of all in front of others, so he kept a stiff upper lip, pushing down the magnitude of everything until it was small - so small, and so far away, yet pushing constantly for his attention.

The day of Abigail graduating was here. She had finally made it here, after seven years of being at Hogwarts, she was going to be graduating. Abigail felt like she had grown as a person since she started Hogwarts. Abby had mixed emotions today. While she was happy that she was finally going to graduation and honestly wasn't going to be missing this place, she knew she was definitely going to miss the friends that she had made here. She didn't have many friends at Hogwarts, but she was definitely going to miss her friends either way. Abby hoped that maybe she could see them from time to time, but who knew what the future had in store for everyone.

Abby sat in her seat as she awaited for the graduation to start. The girl sat there patiently, as she fiddled with her sleeve a little from nervousness. She listened carefully to what the headpeople had to say and agreed with a lot of what they said. Abby understood where they came from about the muggle world and such as she too had also grown up with the muggle world before she came here. Abby still also wasn't particularly sure what she wanted to do once she graduated from Hogwarts, but she did somewhat have the idea of art of some kind.

Abigail clapped along with everyone else as both speeches had come to an end and it was their turn to walk across the stage to get their diploma. The moment was finally here. They all were actually going to graduate from Hogwarts. Abigail was further down the list so it was a bit of a while until it was officially her turn to walk across the stage. She cheered for everyone and cheered even louder for her friends and dormmates. She was going to miss them. It was finally Abigail's turn to walk across the stage. Abby nervously made her way up to the podium to receive her diploma before quickly heading back to her seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back