Wandering

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia had sneaked down from the Grounds and into the Forest, donning her boots, a warm winter coat, and her Slytherin scarf wrapped tightly about her neck and part of her face. It was quite cold, there was snow on the ground and a slight wind chilled the skin of Sophia's face that was still exposed.

All of her exams were done, and all that was left before Break was the Yule Ball. Not having a date, Sophia did not very much want to attend to Ball alone. She had considered leaving early, but she was also not very anxious to go see her mother, still unsure if she could trust her.

So, Sophia had come to Forest, to escape the castle and everyone in it. She did not figure anyone else would be out here, so she would be able to simply walk and think. Why had she been so mean to Bruin? It was not his fault that he had gotten called home early. And besides, it was not as if he had even asked her to the Ball. Chances were he did not want to go with her at all.

With a shake of her head Sophia pushed Bruin and the Yule Ball out of her mind. She looked around at the snow covered trees around her and continued to walk deeper into the Forest, simply wandering.

Professor King had exited the castle and breathed deeply, watching as the air exited his body and disappeared into the air around him. He wrapped his scarf around himself, and buttoned up his winter cloak. He glanced up at the afternoon sun and smiled, it seemed like a wonderful day today all in all, except for the pile of exams awaiting him in his office. He looked then at the snow covered grounds which were for the most part an unbroken blanket. However somewhere in it a small trail of footprints lead into the Forbidden Forest, he frowned slightly, having wanted a break, but nevertheless broke into a run following the trail.

He slowed himself as he came to the first row of trees and withdrew is wand from his cloak pocket; he glanced into the trees then began to walk through them. “The forest is off limits to students.” He bellowed into the woods.

Sophia stopped dead in her tracks as she heard the voice booming from withing the Forest. Her golden eyes widened as she looked down and saw the footprints behind her. I did not cover my tracks, she thought angrily, unable to believe her foolishness. The term was nearly, the last thing she needed was to be in trouble of some sort.

Deciding that it would be best to offer herself up Sophia turned and followed her tracks back toward the edge of the Forest. Within a few minutes she was face to face with Professor King, who was not at all who she was expecting. Sophia did not know who she was expecting, but it was not Professor King. This made her hopeful for reasons she could not even explain.

"Good day Professor," she said politely. "I apologize, I know the Forest is off limits, but I simply needed to...escape for a while."

Professor King had raised his wand as he heard footsteps approach him, not entirely positive it would be a student. A she saw Sophia emerge from the forest however he lowered it, surprised to see her there at all, "I can understand needing an escape Ms. Stark, but being a Prefect it is your responsibility to uphold the riles of this institution and wandering into the forbidden forest is not only reckless but very inappropriate for somebody of your status in this school to be doing. You are a student and must therefore adhere to the rules, but you are also a Prefect and must exemplify your house, and our school.”

"I could not have said it better myself Professor," Sophia replied in all seriousness. "I have been foolish and deserve whatever punishment you might decide to give." The expression on Sophia's face was a solemn one, laced with a slight bit of sadness. She did not want to get in trouble, of course, but she recognized that she was in fact wrong and was willing to adhere to the appropriate consequences.

"The way I see it if it weren't for you I could have vanished into oblivion in my sleep." Professor King paused a moment after saying this for dramatic effect I suppose, "So this is your warning." he continued with a smile and a nod.

Sophia allowed a hint of a smile to curl onto the corners of her lips. "Thank you Professor," she said with a nod to him. Thinking of the Professor's illness reminded Sophia of their excursion in the Room of Requirements.

"Professor, when we were in the Room of Requirements, before I saw your fingers vanish, you were going to help me with my...power," she said simply, waiting to see how the Professor responded to her.

"Yes, I was." Professor King said plainly, turning now to face the castle and beginning to walk towards it.

Sophia frowned slightly when she saw the Professor turn and go back toward the castle. "Professor," she said with a slight hint of desperation. She began to walk after the Professor, not wanting him to leave just yet.

"You really should get out of the forest." Professor King replied as he reached the last row of trees and stopped to face Sophia again, "What is it?"

Sophia took in the Professor's comment, recognizing that he was probably right. She walked with him and stopped as he did, looking up at him with as blank an expression as she could muster. "I was wondering if you would be willing to work with me now, perhaps. Since we never get a chance earlier, because of your illness." She looked hopefully up at him, waiting for his response.

"I thought you needed an escape." he replied with a slight smile.

Sophia rolled her golden eyes in a sort of playful manner. She was unsure of why, but she had become oddly comfortable around Professor King. "Yes, an escape from other students. You are not a student. Besides, having something to focus on will be helpful."

"I suppose I could clear a bit of my schedule off." Professor King said hesitantly, realising that this would set his marking even further behind. He then started walking towards the castle again, expecting Sophia to follow, "Would you mind my asking why you are escaping?"

Sophia took a few larger steps so as to catch up to the Professor and then walked beside him, hading back toward the castle. She was quite relieved he had agreed with work with her. In a way it was good she had come into the Forest.

"Everyone keeps talking about the Yule Ball, as it is quite soon. Personally I am sick of hearing about it. Who cares about an insipid dance?"

"People who enjoy dancing." Professor King said pointedly, "Normally if people think something is pointless they don't leave somewhere to stop hearing about it, the start bashing it." he continued with a slight chuckle.

Sophia listened to the Professor, wondering why he was chuckling at her. "Well, in case you had not noticed I am more than slightly outnumbered in my way of thinking." A thought then occurred to Sophia. "Professor, are you attending the Yule Ball?"

"I will be chaperoning the ball." Professor King informed Sophia.

"Of course, chaperoning," Sophia said, sort of trailing off. She could not think of anything further to say about the Ball so she left it.

After a few minutes of walking in silence Sophia turned to the Professor once more. "Have you spoken with Estrella lately?"

"Sort of -- A few days ago, she was looking for a book that wasn't in the library." Professor King responded as they approached the Castle doors.

Sophia stopped as she reached the castle doors. She turned to look at Professor King with a slightly confused expression. "A book that was not in the library?"

Professor King stopped as well, grabbing onto one of the handles of one of the doors, "Yeah -- You know, not really curriculm, not really all too heard of."

Sophia stared at Professor King with her golden eyed gaze, wondering what book he could be talking about. "Well, anyway, I was wondering if she had talked to you about anything...odd....?" She knew her question probably did not make sense, but she wanted to see what Professor King said.

"She mentioned her ability, if that's what you mean." Professor King replied, "That's what she wanted a book for -- information on her ability."

"Oh," Sophia began giving the Professor a nod. "Are you going to open that door?" she motioned to the door. Professor King had had his hand on the handle for a few minutes now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back