Twilight The Movie Discussion

Isabella Chaos said:
Why not hate Titanic or any other romance movie? What's so horribly wrong about Twilight?
I don't get why people hate Twilight so much, so if someone could please explain it to me? :-? ^_^
Well, I do generally dislike romance movies (though romantic comedies seem to be alright :glare: ) so I think I can justly answer your questions. ;)

Okay, well, to start, Titanic held a minute amount of historical significance, and it didn't involve vampires that sparkle in sunlight.
Twilight is yet another vampire romance novel, but taking out tonnes of the dark aspects of them, and whipping in sissy little things that make most female teenagers go all gushy (ie sparkling).
So, you've set up such a small target audience, readers/viewers have to fit into a set of people who enjoy romance movies, a subset of those people who enjoy vampire romance, a sub-subset of people who will accept that vampires sparkle in sunlight and that sunlight doesn't otherwise harm them and then a final sub set of THAT sub set of people who will accept an author breaking a billion laws of her own universe just to end the series with an ending readers enjoy.
That just gives you your limited audience for the books, really, then for the films you're bound to have less people like it because people never like movies made from books. Ever.
So really, it was set up to fail. :(

Professor Nicolas King said:
Isabella Chaos said:
Why not hate Titanic or any other romance movie? What's so horribly wrong about Twilight?
I don't get why people hate Twilight so much, so if someone could please explain it to me? :-? ^_^
Well, I do generally dislike romance movies (though romantic comedies seem to be alright :glare: ) so I think I can justly answer your questions. ;)

Okay, well, to start, Titanic held a minute amount of historical significance, and it didn't involve vampires that sparkle in sunlight.
Twilight is yet another vampire romance novel, but taking out tonnes of the dark aspects of them, and whipping in sissy little things that make most female teenagers go all gushy (ie sparkling).
So, you've set up such a small target audience, readers/viewers have to fit into a set of people who enjoy romance movies, a subset of those people who enjoy vampire romance, a sub-subset of people who will accept that vampires sparkle in sunlight and that sunlight doesn't otherwise harm them and then a final sub set of THAT sub set of people who will accept an author breaking a billion laws of her own universe just to end the series with an ending readers enjoy.
That just gives you your limited audience for the books, really, then for the films you're bound to have less people like it because people never like movies made from books. Ever.
All I have to say to that is

=))

It made me laugh so much. But I'm not going to read the book and/or see the movie. I may get around to it sometime but not in the near future.

I suppose they are copying the classics, but I refuse to let anybody class them anywhere near Jane Eyre or any Jane Austen novel.
Can't we just stick with humans? Even if the humans are wizards or something.
It's just really...bad. And really Sue-ish. There are plenty of better books out there. Want romance? Read Pride and Prejudice, A Room With A View, Jane Eyre...something that just works. Because I believe it is insulting our intelligence to make us read these books, and now watch them.

But people will enjoy them, because there's always somebody out there who will enjoy what is produced. And teenage girls, even if they are 'plain' like Bella (even if every boy in the area seems to fall in love with her), will convince themselves that they can find an Edward Cullen, because, hey, Stephenie Meyer said so.

Professor Nicolas King said:
Isabella Chaos said:

Ok now that I have sufficient time to answer this... :p

I understand how Twilight could've been set up for a certain type of reader, which according to you, is a really small amount, but the majority of my friends had never read any other type of vampire novel so it's not like they were attracted to it because it was a "vampire novel" from the beginning. And if the audience it's targeted towards so "small" then why is it such a "phenomenon"? It's obviously attracting enough people to be so big. (Although the stupid headlines saying "Move over Harry Potter" is complete B.S. :p ) And also, my friend, who's a manly man ^_^ read the entire Twilight series and he thinks it's really good. He has really good taste in literature, and was curious about Twilight. (Once again, I'm not saying Twilight is a literary masterpiece, because yes I know it's not, it's just a good book to read). And coming from a male point of view, it must mean something since he can't exactly say he likes it because of Edward. :oy:
And those friends of mine who HAVE read other vampire novels, STILL like Twilight. My friend love love loves Jane Austen novels, and especially Anne Rice, etc and she still says "Edward is [her] ideal vampire." I don't see what's so wrong with making her vampires sparkle? So WHAT if it makes readers go gushy, that's what I meant by at least it makes me feel something different than a typical vampire story, as opposed to the same old same old. I give Stephenie props for going against the norm and creating her own vampire characteristics. Just because Stephenie decided to go a different way with her vampires, does not mean they aren't as dangerous as the others. An example is when Edward says he's the worlds most dangerous predator because he sparkles. Their sparkling skin isn't just to look pretty, it's to lure their food in. Everything about them invites the human in, their scent, their looks (sparkling skin, gorgeous face), their voice, etc. so they're just as dangerous as other "real" vampires in other novels.

Though one thing I completely agree with you about Nick is the breaking of her own rules to end the series with a happily ever after. THAT was complete B.S. and was totally stupid on her end. Seriously, wth. And trust me, not many readers enjoyed that ending. <_< :p

And also, to say that people NEVER like movies made from books. Ever. is WRONG.
I like Harry Potter movies, and I really liked the Twilight movie. Those are movies made from books. So even if I am the only person to think they are good movies, it still means you are wrong because you basically spoke for everyone when you said that, and it wasn't true.
Although you're right that it does have a limited audience, it is still enough for it to be something huge.
And its not as limited as you think it is. My sister, who's never heard/read/seen ANYTHING about Twilight ever, went to go see it with her big time thug boyfriend, and they both really liked it, enough to want to go see it again, without having known anything about it previously.
Sure it's cheesy, but in the end, an author/director's intentions with their product is to entertain people, and Twilight did that. Maybe not for you personally, but that's fine. :p My sister, her thug boyfriend, and my "death metal" boyfriend, stray FAR from the Twilight/any vampire novel reader stereotypes, and the fact that they all liked it a lot, shows that it can be liked by others outside the small targeted audience.

I don't know if this makes sense anymore, and it's pretty late so I'll just leave it at that :p but feel free to keep pointing stuff out to me. I don't mind being wrong and listening to your opinions because it gives me perspective on the opposing side and thus, I apply your answers to my thoughts and now know how to respond to someone more accurately and justified the next time a Twilight discussion erupts. ^_^ :p

Hello....
Sorry that i'm not on always, but i've watched the movie....
i think at first that i'm unlucky to watched the movie because i keep getting sick always, but just this saturday i've watched it with my friend at school and we keep shouting evertime bella and edward kiss...
i keep laughing when bella slip at the green house and i was disgusted at worm, ewwww, i think that's for now. My friend until now don't understand the movie, but i keep shouting her at school, my army of classmates are now twilight fanatics because of me.....

I think with the Twilight books/movies you're either going to love them or hate them.

If you have watched the movie and think it's tripe, I respect your opinion, because you took the time out to see it before casting aspersions on it. I don't really believe you can have a steady opinion on a movie unless you've actually seen it.

Kind of like the religious community and Harry Potter. Say it's of the devil and leading our children to sin when not one had bothered/taken the time to read one of the books. :r:

Lexi, rock on! :lol:

:r:
The movie isn't out here yet.
Its out on 18th December.
But from what i've read, its a waste of money.
Hmmmm..

I would honestly go and see it Bianca. Don't let others opinions sway you one way or the other. Go see it and form your own opinion of it. And I totally agree with what Cecily said...I remember being in church one Sunday and our pastor basically suggested that those who were fans of the HP books and movies needed to ask God for forgiveness for being a supporter of such an evil franchise. I was just like uh-huh...suuuure :oy: I always get worried when they make a movie adaptation of a really good book, but I was satisfied with how TWILIGHT turned out...was it a perfect enactment of the book, NO, but it came as close as most of the fans could have possibly wished for.

I still say they should have made them all british and had a 6 part mini series on BBC. :rofl:

Cecily Rambolt said:
I still say they should have made them all british and had a 6 part mini series on BBC. :rofl:
=))
That would have been AWESOME!!
Then Rob wouldn't have had to hide his absolutely smoldering British accent *drools*

I AM DOOMED IN INDIA!!!CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE ONLY PLAYING IT in BIG CITIES???!!!!!
AND THEN MOST OF THE SHOW ARE IN HINDI!!!THATS SO UNFAIRRRRRR!!!!!

Well, i'm actually going to buy that four books of twilight. i have all my six harry potter books and i just need still one, then i can buy the twilight books.....

is it a great thing to straighten my teeth or not, i'm like a vampire on it actually.

Frankly, any novel adaptation into a movie is going to fail at least in some portion, as long as it bears ANY form of fantasy. For example, realist books that base of WWII, Real Life, Secret Agents, and so on, often have very successful film adaptations. But most fantasy adaptations tend to flop, such as:

-Twilight
- Eragon
- The Golden Compass
- Dungeons and Dragons

When going to watch this, I was slightly pessimistic, but in the end I thought it was a good movie, albeit slow in some parts :).

Katalina Vanderhol said:
Cecily Rambolt said:
=))
That would have been AWESOME!!
Then Rob wouldn't have had to hide his absolutely smoldering British accent *drools*
i knoww.
he could've talked like a normal person! he tlaked so deep and you couldn't hear his voice <_<
but if it was in brittish then they probably wouldn't have the same emmett ;'(
i loved emmett :wub2: :r:

To be perfectly honest, now that I've seen it, I couldn't stand it. I'm sorry, the effects were just bad, it was boring...way too much staring in to each other's eyes...I really, really didn't like it at all.

So i watched Twilight last Saturday, and i honestly love it! I prefer the books, but the film is awesome.
I cant wait for the DVD to come out, then i can watch it again and again :)
Does anyone know if they plan to make movies from the rest of the books?

Yep I heard they were plannig to put the second and third book into one movie ;),

I think id prefer the second in one movie, and the third in another.
So its less likely they miss things out.

But hardly anything happened in the second one, unsure about the third, just started reading it :)

hmm, tbqh i cant remember much about the second, even though i read it two days ago :/ remind me, what actually happens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back