Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 13 Inch Rigid Pine Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
The quidditch match between Slytherin and Hufflepuff was an exciting game to say the least. Despite not being one to watch quidditch before teaching at Hogwarts New Zealand, Jon found he did enjoy the sport when it was between houses or between the professors and students, and that game in particular constantly kept him on his toes and on the edge of his seat. It was a whirlwind of back and forth though eventually Slytherin secured a win and the game was finally branded as over. Jon sat back in his seat in the professors seating area of the pitch, waiting patiently for everyone to leave because while quidditch was a new found interest of his, large crowds of people leaving the pitch and being squished together like sardines made him more uncomfortable than he was willing to admit. He was happy to sit in his spot, watching the pitch empty while waiting until he could leave the pitch in a quick and stress-free way when it was completely void of other human beings. That way he would not need to worry about socializing and appearing considerably awkward as he sat still in a place where everyone else seemed to be moving.

The stands being so unfortunately high and awkwardly inaccessible in a hurry, quidditch was not everybody's favourite spectator's sport. When Monty allowed it to, the trouble with which he'd have had attempting to leave in any sort of emergency put him slightly on edge; but most of the time the enjoyment of the game was sufficient distraction from his concerns. The game finished with a victory for Slytherin, which Monty found neither satisfying nor disappointing, as he did not support one team over the other, and then the crowd began to rise and make its way slowly down the wooden steps. For no reason other than his reluctance to get tightly pressed between two other professors, Monty stood with the others, but did not start towards the steps until everyone had begun their own descent. As he began to move, he realised that the stand had not yet completely emptied, and hesitated near the opening in the floor. "Are you all right?" he asked Jon, with whom he had not much conversed. Once the question had left Monty's mouth, he blushed ruefully - he had surmised that Jonathan was merely enjoying the view, and would likely not appreciate the disturbanc - but it was too late to withdraw it.

As Jon sat awkwardly in the professor's area of the pitch he wished he could have his muggle phone with him. Since owning one he discovered it was the perfect way to avoid social interaction while appearing distracted and not like he was avoiding social interaction. But it of course would not work anywhere near the school, and especially not on the pitch despite being in open air where cell phone reception would be easy to find in theory. He was left to sit on his own while trying not to appear as if he was sitting on his own and alternately hoping nobody would talk to him. It wasn't the easiest thing for Jon to pull off and when Professor Pendleton approached him, asking if he was okay he realized he wasn't pulling it off at all. "Um." He said, needing to clear his throat before he continued speaking. "Just waiting for the crowd to disperse." He admitted too truthfully than what he wanted but he knew he must have looked just as awkward as he hoped he wasn't. Giving up whatever demeanor he already failed to have was his only option, and he wanted to sink into the wood of his chair and pretend like none of this happened more than ever.

Knowing too well the feeling of discomfort amongst crowds, Monty half wished he hadn't said anything to Jon at all; the man probably was probably wishing Monty would leave him alone to spare him his dignity. But the Potions Professor could not quite bring himself to leave, for he also knew how it felt to be alone in anxiety. There was nothing more than a slight apprehension in Jon's disposition to suggest that he was actually uncomfortable, so it was at his own great risk that Monty admitted, "Ah; I was doing the same. Would you mind if I sat with you?" He paused, and then, thinking that Jon might be too polite to turn him down without encouragement, added sincerely, "If you'd rather I left you alone, I'll completely understand." And he would.

Jon gulped audibly as the other professor asked to join him. Prolonging an already awkward, nerve wracking interaction could only cause it to feel more awkward but Jon unfortunately did not believe he had a choice in the matter; that rejecting Monty would show how uncomfortable he was in that moment and in the moments leading up to it and in turn make the situation just as awkward as prolonging their interaction would. There seemed to be no way out of the situation he found himself in as he sat in the stands. He promptly nodded to grant Monty permission to sit with him despite it being one of the last things he wanted. Clearly it was nothing personal towards the other professor. In fact, Jon respected Monty immensely but he was certain that when this interaction was over he would feel embarrassed seeing the other professor around the castle as it would bring memories of that very moment and his awkwardness to the forefront of his mind. "You can sit with me, if you want." He said, shrugging in an attempt to seem casual and not like he was analyzing everything and overthinking himself into oblivion. "Was an interesting game of quidditch, wasn't it?" He asked in a further attempt to seem calm and collected despite feeling certain that he was failing.

There was something about Jonathon's reaction that didn't sit right with the elder professor; but Monty, being as he was forced beyond the boundaries of his own comfort zone each and every day, now found it not in his interest to leave the man to himself. No - the Potions Professor had suffered far greater in his twenty five years of isolation than in the two and a half he had sustained his position at the school; and, harsh as it may have outwardly seemed, he would not so readily allow this young man, so full of life, and with so much of it left to live, to fall into the same trap. He sat down where he was, leaving space enough between them for two or three people, and assumed a smile, gazing thoughtfully out over the pitch. "Yes, it was, rather," he agreed, a laugh lifting the end of his sentence. "Have you ever played? Oh! Of course - you and I were chasers on the staff team, weren't we? Goodness, that must have been two years ago, now. Frightening..." Monty's expression fell pensive before brightening again. "I'm sorry I haven't introduced myself to you before, Jon. I'm something of a social caterpillar," he admitted ruefully, allowing his hands to exhibit their nervous tendency to fidget and a blush to rise to his cheeks - signs of anxiety he usually sought to fend off, lest anybody perceive he was not the confident, outgoing man he appeared to be. It would have surprised him if Jonathon had even before this moment noticed he had anxiety at all. Monty laughed shyly. "Would you believe?"

Jon smiled politely, refusing to show his relief when the other man sat down with a comfortable enough space to fit two or three people between them. In such a hectic seeming interaction it gave Jon some of a sense of normality as the conversation in general was far enough out of his comfort zone already. It would only be worsened if the two professors were in closer proximity than the already cramped professors area of the stands allowed. The younger professor nodded at Monty's words, chuckling in turn and later clearing his throat and pondering his own words momentarily before commenting. "We did play as chasers. Was an interesting game, fun and memorable." He chuckled again at the memory that he did think of fondly in spite of how worried he was prior to the game, both of the promise it had to interact with his fellow professors and playing the game itself. Luckily he had left the pitch that day feeling accomplished - although now he did feel ever so slightly disappointed that another professors versus students game had not been announced. "Weird that it was two years ago, though. How time flies. That was my first year teaching, I think." Jon mused. "Oh, no. I should be sorry, Monty. I'm admittedly as social as a rock." He said, admitting how antisocial he truly was and wishing he waited an extra few minutes to save his reputation. As socially awkward as Jon was due to many of the problems he had faced in his short life, he never wanted to burden it on anyone else. Especially not in the beginning of a conversation in which he already felt as if he were fish out of water.

sorry this took so long!

Monty nodded in agreement, casting his smile out over the pitch. Though he'd given it his all, he'd been privately pleased to see Hufflepuff secure the win. They'd deserved it. Besides, he could hardly imagine how their pride must have swelled to be victorious against a team of adults, some of whom had been playing for many years longer - albeit years now a distant memory.

Prompted from his thought, Monty frowned. "You and I began in the same year? Oh! I am so sorry, Jon! You know, I had every intention of introducing myself to each of the new staff; only, I made the terrible mistake of visiting Arvo's office first," he explained, smiling grimly. "He never really did let me leave. But for my forgetfulness, we might have been friends! Er, I mean, sooner, obviously." Monty laughed at Jon's final remark. "Please; I really am the last person you ought to be apologising to. If you must be sorry, let it be for my pitiful excuse as to why we've never acquainted. On the other hand, seeing as now we have... Tell me: what brought you to the school?"

Never apologise for that!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back