Thomas Homestead

Nancy Thomas

kaelshome-1.jpg

It was a quarter past 6 when nancy woke to start her day. She was used to it since her days of working at the Ministry she had to wake up earlier then that. She hopped out of bed and and changed out of her pajamas and into her day clothes. Nancy flipped the lightswitch on in the kitchen and started a pot of tea with a flick of her wand. Kale had invited his friend Kaela over for the holiday and she was very curious about the girl, since the last girl that he had brought home was Estrella and they weren't together anymore. That surprised her when she got the news that they weren't together anymore, it reminded her of her expieriences back at Hogwarts. All of that stuff seemed so important back then. Teenage drama.

Nancy sniffed the air, an overwhelming scent of fresh Douglas Fir was wafting in the air from the Christmas tree that the kids had decorated the night before when they all returned home from school. It really was beginning to look and feel a lot like the Christmas holiday. She was very happy to have her kids home all at once, even though they had plans of leaving to stay with their friends families a few days after they returned. She sighed, wishing that she was able to spend more time with her kids, they were growing up so fast and Tarren would be leaving for Hogwarts that upcoming year. Then Mindy was the last to go a couple of years after that. Nancy shuffled around the kitchen and cracked open the window to let in some of the fresh morning air. She planned on making the kids and Kale's guest breakfast that morning if she had arrived early enough. Nancy flipped on an antique record player that was in the dining room on, faint classical music could be heard under the distracting white noise, she hummed as she swept the kitchen floor. Since the kids were still asleep upstairs she figured that she would finish tidying up a few last minute things before they woke up and Kale's visitor had arrived.

Finn had left his house quite early that morning in his da's car, Kaela in the front seat controlling the music. He was not pleased with his sister's decision to spend their first Christmas with their ma with a friend instead of her da and brother. But Da had said yes, so there was nothing Finn could do but drive Kaela to this house and do his best to be decent. He would of course be courteous Kaela's friend's mother, but this boy would be receiving a talking to. Finn hated the idea of Kaela alone with that boy and nothing Finn could do about it. He knew though that once she went back to school she would be out of his sight once again and he would have to get used to not seeing her all over again.

"We're getting close," Finn said after a glance at the GPS. Kaela lit up in the seat beside him, turning her music even louder and singing and dancing to it. At least her music doesn't totally stink he thought to himself.

A few minutes later Finn pulled up in front of the Thomas Residence and the GPS announced their arrival. He put the car in park and watched as Kaela bounced beside him, obviously very excited to be here. I guess it's good that she's happy. Unsure of what to do he sat in the car, not really comfortable approaching the house. Kaela, Courtney, and Ford were the only magical people he had encountered, and they were all minors. This was a whole magical household. The idea worried and intrigued Finn, but the worry outweighed his curiosity and he stayed seated in the driver's seat.

Kaela was indeed bouncing in the seat. She frowned momentarily when Finn turned the car off, turning off one of her favorite songs, but regained her grin soon enough. She was finally here! Kale's house looked so nice and she couldn't wait to get to experience the magical household, not to mention see Kale! She quickly opened the car door and closed it, running to the front door. Although it was early Kaela could not help her excitement and knocked quite a few times on the door. She smiled brightly as she waited on the doorstep, thinking about how close Kale was and how she was going to see him very, very soon.

Mindy had been a morning person ever since she was a baby, she was also a very light sleeper. When she had heard a car park close to the house and footsteps soon following she sprung up like a wild animal and ran down the stairs as fast as her little legs would carry her. At the sound of knocks at the door she jumped to the door. Mindy turned the knob having to use both hands and opened the heavy oak door with a struggle. There was a girl standing on her doorstep, one that she did not know. Mindy gave her a toothless smile, "Hi" she said to the girl. "Who are you?" Mindy asked with enthusiasm, she always had been too friendly with strangers.

Kaela blinked when the door opened and no one was there. When she heard high voice say 'hi' she looked down, surprised to see the young girl standing there. "Oh hi. I'm Kaela," she began with a smile, bending over so that she was closer to eye-level with the girl. "And who are you?"

"Ohhh!" Mindy said with a high pitched giggle, "My name is Mindy!" she exclaimed happily, she was still wearing her pink PJ's and blocking the doorway. Mindy looked at the girl and grinned, "Are you here for Morgan?" she questioned, always have been a talkative personality.

Nancy had thought that she heard footsteps upstairs before the sound of the front door opening, that then followed with the sound of Mindy talking to someone. Quickly she walked out from the kitchen and poked her head around the corner to view the door from across the house. It looked as if Kale's visior had already arrived. Nancy smiled at the girl and walked toward the door, she placed her hand on Mindy's head and looked down at her, "What did I tell you about answering the door, missy?" she said with a stern look and a motherly tone, that look soon morphed into a small smile. "You must be Kaela McIlvoy." Nancy said to the girl, smiling at her softly. "Come on in.." she said opening the door all the way and pulling Mindy away from the doorway gently. Nancy noticed the car that was parked in the front, "Would they like to come in for a bit?" she inquired to the girl, not wanting to be rude and leave them outside.

Kaela stood up straight as who she assumed was Kale's ma came to the door. She smiled brightly up at her. "Yes, I'm Kaela." She looekd back at Finn, who was still sitting in the car and waved at him to come in. She was pleased when he reluctantly got out of the car and began walking toward them. "He's just shy," she told Mrs. Thomas and stepped inside the house once Finn had joined them.

Finn reluctantly slid from the car when Kaela beckoned him and walked to the house. He smiled weakly at Mrs. Thomas as he stepped into the house behind Kaela, stopping just inside.

Nancy walked away from the door and led both of the kids into the house, "Welcome to our home" she said with a smile while setting Mindy down at the island in the kitchen "My name is Nancy. Don't worry about calling me Mrs. Thomas or anything like that...it just makes me feel old" Nancy scrunched up her nose and let out a small laugh, most of the time she had a pretty good sense of humor, other times you wouldn't want to get on her bad side.
Kitchen-View-to-Loft-small.jpg
"I'm sorry, I don't think Kale and the others are awake yet. They were up pretty late last night.." She told Kaela with a slight frown, the house was very quiet other than Mindy humming to herself loudly.

Kaela smiled, her eyes wide with wonder as she took in the interior of the house. "Mrs. - " Kaela began but stopped herself short, blushing slightly. "Nancy your house is beautiful." She had to admit she was a bit disappointed that Kale wasn't awake yet, but she kept the smile on her face. "I'm not really surprised."

Kaela walked to the kitchen and looked around. She didn't know what to do, and was afraid to ask or do anything without permission. Finn simply walked behind her, looking protective in his silence.

"Feel free to take a seat where ever." she told the two kids while wiping off the counter. Mindy was busy coloring a horse purple in her coloring book, fully absorbed in her current 'masterpiece'. "Would either of you fancy something to drink?" Nancy inquired with a smile while pouring herself a cup of tea.

Kaela walked over to where Mindy was coloring and sat down beside her, smiling as she watched her work. She looked up at Nancy. "Oh, yes please. Whatever you have is fine." She smiled and gave Finn a look that said he better be nice before looking back at Mindy's coloring.

Finn met Kaela's look and returned it, rolling his eyes as he looked away. He shook his head at Nancy. "No thanks. I should probably be heading back soon." Finn purposely stayed standing, not wanting to make himself comfortable.

Nancy smiled at Kaela, she already seemed like a sweet girl from the beginning. "Thank you Kaela" she walked over the counter where she picked up the pitcher of cold fresh squeezed orange juice, in a normal situation she would have simply flicked her wand and it would have been as easy as that. Since there was a muggle present she didn't want to make anything weird for him. Nancy took two cups from the cupboard and poured one of them half way full and the other closer to the rim, she placed one of the cups next to Mindy and placed her hand on her daughters shoulder. She then walked to Kaela and handed her one of the cups. "So, I'm assuming that you're from Ireland too since you drove here?" she inquired, trying to make some friendly conversation.

Kaela took the glass of orange juice with a smile and a "thanks" and took a drink before answering. "Yep, County Cork. This is the farthest north I've ever been in Ireland. It's very beautiful up here."

Finn stood and listened silently, crossing his arms over his chest. He wanted to leave, but not before meeting this Kale kid. Besides, he still had to get Kaela's things from the car.

Kale rolled over in his bed, almost forgetting that he was back at home. A stream of light was leaking through his curtains, he yawned widely and hopped out of bed. There was muffled voices coming from downstairs, one of which sounding like Kaela's; or at least what he had remembered it sounding like. Was she there already? Kale slipped on a shirt and walked down the stairs still in his pajama bottoms. As he walked around the corner that led into the kitchen and he saw that the voice who he thought was Kaela, was her, he grinned and walked toward her. "Hey you!" Kale exclaimed, he was still a bit tired from the night before but seeing her even that early in the morning woke him up; Kale walked toward her with open arms. He didn't even realize that her brother too was standing in the kitchen.

"Hey yourself!" Kaela said happily, setting her orange juice down and standing. She walked toward Kale and grasped him in a tight hug. "It's been too long," she said, closing her eyes as she hugged him, enjoying the feeling. Kaela thought she heard Finn clearing his throat, but she didn't care.

Kale hugged Kaela tightly, having to bend down quite a bit. It felt good to actually hug her after talking about it for all of those monthes. "I know.." he said giving her one last squeeze before parting at the sound of a cough. Kale turned around and saw who he assumed was her older brother, he looked a lot older.. He nodded at him and extended him hand to the older boy, "Hey, I'm Kale." Kale said trying to actually start things off polite so they didn't have any problems, he didn't want to have the girl that he likes brother to hate him right off the bat. Kale didn't know what to think of Kaela's brother at first glance.

Finn's cough seemed to have done the trick; their hug stopped quickly enough. He took Kale's hand in a strong grasp, "Finn." He said solidly, and held the boy's hand in the shake for a moment longer than was usual and his gaze bored into Kale's eyes with a slight menace before releasing the shake roughly.

Kale shook Finn's hand, not expecting her brother to take his hand so tightly. He caught himself arching his brow at Finn an he held his hand longer than normal and looked at Kale fiercely. Kale took it as more of a protective display for Kaela, and he understood that. He did the same with his sisters. "Nice to meet you Finn.." he said slowly, he wasn't really sure of what to say to him.

Kaela scowled at Finn, obviously not happy with his display. Why does he have to be so mean?! "Uhm, should we get my stuff out of the car?" she asked cautiously, trying to shift the air to something less tense.

Kale scratched his head and looked over at Kaela, unsure if she was addressing her statement to him or her brother. He shrugged his shoulders and grinned, "I'll help you if you need it." Kale volunteered taking a step closer to the door.

Ignoring his sister's warning looks, Finn continued his steel-eyed gaze at the boy, "That would be nice," he said and turned to go to the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back