OOC First Name
Liv
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Tulip Wood Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Cecily sniffled and buried her face in her skirts, her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms folded around them. Thankfully it was too early for the students to be milling about, they were either at breakfast or just getting out of bed. She wouldn't want them to stumble upon her like this.

Nicolas arrived at the lakefront shortly after Cecily. He approached her in silence and sat down beside her, he hated to see her like this. He sat down close beside her and withdrew the letter from his cloak pocket, setting it between them. He sat in silence looking over the lake, figuring his presence would be better then him trying to comfort her and screwing up.

When Nicolas sat beside her, her tears had dried and she stared out over the lake, numb. "You can go ahead and read it, if you want," she said dully. She wiped the tears tracks from her face and sighed heavily. "Why'd he have to change things?" she said sadly. "We grew up together, we were best friends. Then he has to go and be stupid," she muttered.

"I don't think it's my place." Nicolas replied, not truly caring what specifically Edward had said. If it upset Cecily it upset him for the simple fact that it did upset Cecily.

She withdrew her wand. "Incendio." The letter quickly caught on fire and then it was ashes on the ground.

Nicolas chuckled, more to himself then anything else. "I had thought of doing that myself but figured it was your letter." He admitted with a slight grin.

She found herself laughing with him. She nudged his shoulder with hers with a soft smile. "I'm not replying back, you know," she said firmly. "He knew the consequences if he acted like the backside of a hippogryff."

Nicolas frowned slightly at Cecily's decision. He didn't like Edward at all from his one meeting with him then of course what he did to Cecily and this letter, but he had been Cecily's childhood friend, he didn't want Cecily to lose a friend over her friend's old feelings, but he supposed that decision had also been made by Edward. "Would you like to talk about it?" Nicolas inquired after a moment's silence.

She picked at a loose thread on her robes and looked out over the rippling waves in the water. Something under the surface was causing a commotion but nothing too alarming. Finally she nodded. "When we were growing up and we each got our letters one summer, it was wonderful. Our parents laughed and laughed at our excitement because we were making all of these plans and saying what we'd do with our new magic." Her green eyes became clouded with her memories. "We were inseparable until our fifth year. Edward became different. He didn't laugh as much as he used to around me. Finally he just started hanging out with his friends and ditched me altogether. I guess I could understand then; he was a Slytherin, I was a Hufflepuff." She shrugged. "We became friends again a few years after that and we became close again, although it was never the same." She didn't talk about meeting Bearse and falling for him. Or how Edward had started withdrawing from her all over again. "I'm a fool for not seeing it then."

Nicolas listened to Cecily's story, getting a sense for her history with her friend. He wasn't sure what to say most of the time. Cecily's concluding remarks seemed to cause him to think, Cecily seemed to have been oblivious to things in her relationship with Bearse and of things in her friendship with Edward. What if she had been oblivious to something in him too? Granted, the two past things were truly of no fault of her own, but the possibility unsettled him. "You aren't a fool, Cecily, nor have you ever been." Nicolas assured her.

"Thank you," she whispered, her eyes welling with tears. She brushed them away and smiled at him. "I think I just need to talk to him, face to face. Me not sending an owl would only make things worse," she said quietly.

Nicolas drew his wand and conjured a fresh handkerchief, offering it to Cecily. "I think that'll be appropriate." Nicolas agreed with a nod, "But be careful, will you?" he requested with a soft smile, not wanting to demolish the forest or hire a hit wizard for his own personal needs.

She gratefully took the handkerchief, wiping her eyes and nodding. "I'll be okay. I'll have him meet me in the Village." She looked down then up at him. "I'm really sorry this is happening right now. We've already been through so many ups and downs."

"You have nothing to apologize for." Nicolas assured Cecily with a slight smile, "This isn't your fault at all."

She looked out over the water. "This too shall pass, isn't that the saying?" She glanced at him, the twinkle returning to her eyes. "I'd say I have a class to teach, but this morning I'm free. What lovely year are you teaching to defend themselves this morning?"

"Trying to get rid of me before you open that package, huh?" Nicolas inquired with a wink, "Well I recall it giving me quite the little shock, I may as well know what wizardry decided it liked you more than me."

"Oh." In her haste to leave the castle she had forgotten about the package the owl had delivered that morning. "I'd forgotten." She withdrew the brown wrapped package from her robes pocket and held it in front of her. Holding her breath, she untied it and cautiously unwrapped the brown paper. "It's a book." Stumped she glanced at Nicolas then back at the book in her hands, turning it over and running her fingers over the embossed surface. It was beat up around the corners and edges, weathered from age. It's once bright green cover had dulled to a green so dark it resembled black in spots. Embossed vines ran along the binding. She opened the book and saw her grandfather's name and a long ago date heading a journal entry. Suddenly the initials on the seal clicked. "It's my grandfather's journal. Those are his initials on the seal," she said picking up the discarded brown paper and holding it up. "I don't understand. My grandparents are dead. My parents would have told me if they'd sent it to me."

Nicolas watched with interest as Cecily unwrapped and examined the book. "Your grandfather's journal decided to zap me? Well, we know how he feels about me." Nicolas jested, not wanting to pry into clearly family business.

Cecily laughed, tucking her hair behind her ear. "He would have liked you," she decided, looking at him. "He was a good man, a strong man. He could tell a man's character just by looking at him. He would have made a wonderful Auror," she winked. "Though he was muggle. I miss him and my grandmother very much, although I have more memories of her. He died when I was little."

Nicolas would have stated he was sorry to hear about her grandparents but he had already known this. "So if it was sealed with your Grandfather's initials in the packaging..." Nicolas began, thinking aloud.

"It could have been someone from his estate. I thought they would've torn it down or marked it as condemned from hearing what my mum said about it." Inside, her heart was telling her something different. There was a strong magical hum coming from the journal. It calmed her and made her anxious all at once. "I suppose I'll have to question my parents about this. What I don't understand is why is anyone sending it to me now? Why wait this long?" She looked down at the book on her lap, wondering what she would learn from its well worn pages.

"I see" Nicolas began, knowing that when he died he would not want people to continue to use any of his seals -- initials especially. "I suppose a more pressing question would probably be who enchanted it." Nicolas stated, recalling that both Cecily's parents were Muggles. "I don't believe Native American shamans can do something like that at least." he recalled, remembering a story Cecily had told him about her Grandmother having ties with Native Americans.

"Goodness me, I hadn't thought of that!" She looked at him wide eyed. "Who could have done that? I'm the first witch in our family, ever. I was so wrapped up in the situation with Edward that it hadn't occurred to me," she trailed off. "I think I need some tea." Anything for her to drink to calm her nerves and get her brain back on track.

"May I still join you?" Nicolas inquired with a small smile, interested simply in the idea behind Cecily's package and whomever sent it with only a small curiosity as to why it was sent and its contents.

"Yes, please," she said, grinning. She stood up and lightly shook off any grass clinging to her robes. "I have a wonderful brew just in from Peru."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back