The Noose and Guillotine

Nicolas was glad that Sakura, for the most part, agreed with his sentiments. She seemed to rather like the idea that there were always other options available, but Nicolas decided not to press the point as she whispered her words. Once more the woman had successfully trailed them off from dinner conversation to something more substantial, and while this wasn't entirely horrible, it was still quite serious and not what he'd expected for the evening.

As Sakura concluded, Nicolas smiled and prepared to respond when a waiter interrupted once more, setting down the Cauldron Cakes Nicolas had ordered before setting down Sakura's glass and pouring her wine before departing once more. "Excellent." Nicolas muttered to himself, Cauldron Cakes being precisely what he needed to change his mindset from what it had been two moments ago. Remembering Sakura's words, however, he decided to give her his reply. "Yes, I suppose it is people like those that are a real tribute to our race." Nicolas agreed with a smile, though he didn't count himself in that number as Sakura might, he saw things in a slightly different light than her but he would keep such things to himself in the present. "You're quite sure you don't want any dessert? I've never known a person to decline fresh Cauldron Cakes."

She was beginning to notice when a subject was not to his liking, he may have smiled at her but she knew she had brought up another subject that seriously was not worthy of a dinner date. Her mother would be slapping herself in the face if she knew. Sakura wondered if this was perhaps the reason why she didn't date. She was incapable it would seem of holding a nice polite easy going conversation and seemed to have a penchant for reverting it back time and again to sticky subjects. Though he did reply once her port had been served and his cauldron cakes had been delivered to him, she merely smiled in return not willing or trusting herself to speak in case she further ruined the night.

He gave her an easy way out at least by offering some of his dessert to her.
"Thanks but I'm fine really. I love them don't get me wrong but I have yet to find one that matches my mothers. Once you've tasted hers you'll be spoilt for all others" she smiled before taking a sip of her port, the hot molten liquid coursing through her. Again she chastised herself mentally for making a complete botch of the evening but being so inexperienced at these things wasn't sure what the best topics of conversation should be. The weather was a typical British favorite but so droll and surely not something likely to be brought up when you're trying desperately to impress a man and failing miserably.
"So... quidditch. What team do you support now?" it seemed a save topic, surely she couldn't go wrong there too? But biting her lower lip anxiously she felt as if she were only biding her time until her big mouth committed another faux pas.

Nicolas chuckled as Sakura stated that her mother's cauldron cakes were so superior to all else that they would put one off everything but. "If that's the case," Nicolas began, a cheeky grin forming itself on his face as he spoke, "Remind me never to have your mother's cauldron cakes - I simply can't imagine being unable to have these." Nicolas concluded, lifting a cake to his mouth and taking a bite before setting it back down.

As Sakura attempted to change the topic, Nicolas wondered if he had really been that painfully obvious in finding the former topic of discussion not what he'd expected in the evening. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy speaking to Sakura about such things, or that he truly minded such discussions in general, but that he had found time with Sakura a pleasant break from his own hardships and troubles, an escape from his own thoughts at times, and having to recollect something he found the thought of to bring out of his generally good humour was not what he wanted. He knew, of course, that if his relationship (if by such a name it could yet be called) with Sakura were to progress that such topics would become much more the norm and that confiding thought in her might become regular; however that was just something he wasn't prepared for yet.

"I fear I don't follow Quidditch as much as I once did. When I worked at the school, and before when I owned Quality Quidditch Supplies, I could follow Quidditch quite a bit. But now, especially in the past several months, I haven't been given that privilege." Nicolas explained with a smile, "But what of yourself?"

She attempted to look aghast as she chuckled and shook her head slightly.
"If you are going to come and visit my hometown some time then you won't be able to refuse, trust me. Many of stronger ilk have tried and failed. She is persistent and most especially if she has made them particularly for that visitor" Sakura had a twinkle in her own eye recalling the many men her grandfather had brought back from the ministry to discuss various issues and her mother disrupting them time and again to make sure they all ate up her fare. The woman was a law unto herself.

"She gave up any chance of a career of her own when she married my father, so takes the tasks of a housewife and mother very serious indeed. She is house proud and a goddess in the kitchen. Sometimes I think I must have been adopted" she chuckled at this recalling for him the times she had burned dinners and cakes time and again. She may have been a whizz at potions but it certainly did not extend to the kitchen, no matter how hard she tried. Sakura simply reverted to charming the utensils to figure out the recipe for her and usually sat there watching them in awe.

"I'm finding I have less time myself too. I used to attend all the games for the Appleby Arrows and the English National team but it almost seems like a life time ago now" she smiled as her fingers absently smoothed the napkin on her lap, " so you used to own a quidditch supply store as well? is there anything else I don't know about you?"
her hazel eyes looked at him, unable to blink or turn away.

Nicolas chuckled as Sakura insisted that, were he to visit her home town, he would surely be forced to have some cauldron cakes and be put off from all others. "My affair with cauldron cakes the world over will be put to rest, then." Nicolas started, in a tone of mock disheartenment before taking another bite of cauldron cake. He found it very hard to believe that anybody's cauldron cake could be so far superior that he would dislike the rest, but he would have to taste to be sure, now.

The lighthearted laughs of the pair continued on, intermingling with each other, as Sakura recounted for Nicolas her tales of woe in the kitchen. It seemed hard to believe that even with the help of magic somebody would be unable to cook anything at all, and would have to resort to leaving it all to magic and simply having the supplies nearby. "I suppose, then, that I should be thankful your invitation was to go out to dinner, and not for you to cook?" A twinkle in hi eye as he winked at her to indicate that his statement, more than obviously, was in jest.

"Yes, for a time I did, it was different, which was enjoyable." Nicolas recalled, remembering going to his shop over breaks and selling many of his students their first broom (which, for many of those, was also their first love - or the gateway in to it). "There's plenty you don't know of me, but you seem to be finding out more of me than I of you." Nicolas offered, as he finished his cauldron cakes and Sakura came to the end of her Port.

Nicolas motioned to the waiter to come with their bill, telling Sakura that her company had been thanks enough and that he would very much like to pay for the dinner. "The night is still fairly young, what would be your pleasure? A stroll before returning to New Zealand - or the direct route home?"

She chuckled heartily at his declaration about his affair with cauldron cakes, the man surprised her no end. How serious he could be one minute and very much light hearted the next. She was thoroughly enjoying her evening with him and as much as she did not want it to end, knew that at some point it would. Sakura tried to look aghast as he spoke about being grateful for her opting not to cook instead for him tonight but she could only end with laughing.
"Well you would have been saved regardless I only have a room at the Leaky, it does not contain a kitchenette but I am on the look out for my own place. So maybe someday I will get my utensils to cook something for you" she flushed just a little, the sudden image of herself actually happily cooking at a stove like her mother came to mind. Sakura knew without a doubt it would take an exceptional man to make her want to actually attempt to manually cook like that but as she glanced at Nicolas, she knew deep in her heart that he was the most exceptional man she had ever met.

The evening progressed still further and she found herself smiling and chatting with him as if they had known each other a lifetime. She shook her head at one point, reassuring him that he had gotten to know her just as much if not more and he had the unfair advantage of being able to read her file for what he didn't already know. She thanked him for paying though she had been certain that this was supposed to have been her treat to him for saving her in more ways than one. The waiter ever efficient returned with their cloaks and held their chairs once more. Sakura could only smile at Nicolas, he liked doing the gentlemanly things and must feel slightly usurped by the waiters actions. She laid a hand on his arm so gentle that unless you saw the action, you would never have known the hand was there.

"I'd love to walk with you a while and ..." she continued to smile at him, her hazel eyes seeming to sparkle when she did, "you can ask me anything, all you feel you don't yet know about me. Does that sound fair?"

Nicolas thanked the waiter for all his services throughout the evening as he and Sakura rose from their seats and received their cloaks from the man. Nicolas draped his cloak over his arm for a moment before helping Sakura put hers on, as this was one thing the waiter had not taken the opportunity to do from him. He then threw his own cloak about his shoulders before Sakura gently placed her hand on his arm. He noticed this, it sending a small shiver up his arm and then down his spine, and smiled warmly to the woman by his side, leading her toward the door of the establishement as she spoke once more.

"I suppose I know more than I let on," Nicolas began opening the door for Sakura to pass, "As no questions come to mind immediately. Besides, I prefer to learn through conversation, not interrogation." As Nicolas was preparing to follow Sakura out the door he paused, smirked to himself, drew his wand and spun about, waving it dramatically toward the table where the two oafs of men sat, still apparently in their fit of rage, though having been bubbled in seemed to have only added to it. Their shouts filled the restaurant once more as soon as Nicolas' spell ended. Nicolas chuckled, rolled his eyes (feeling quite poorly for those still trying to enjoy their meals) and then shut the door to the retaurant, following Sakura back out in to the street and offering her his arm.

Soon they were leaving, he opening the door for them and as he did so it did not escape her attention that he retracted the charm placed on the two men. Their loudly abusive tones were once again heard and if she were not mistaken, they seemed to be so much louder now. She chuckled softly as they began to walk together, she took the arm he offered her enjoying the warmth of him and unable to ignore the way her heart almost leapt from it's place from touching him alone.

"I think those two will soon be hushed again by the staff or probably told to move along" she grinned, glancing at him momentarily before looking once more ahead of her, "Oh, I have no problem with interrogation."
This was accompanied by a mischievous wink of her own as she thought about the whole list of things she wanted to know about him. She wished she could have a life time of learning these things but Sakura honestly didn't know if what was going on between them would last more than this evening. It went without saying in her own mind that she wanted to see him again and again, the fact that he was willing to try her mothers baking and have a guided tour of her home village could have meant two things either he seriously meant it or he had been polite.

"Besides your love affair with cauldron cakes, what else have you a weakness for? or is that top secret" she grinned once more.

"They likely should have been removed some time ago." Nicolas commented as Sakura took his arm and they started their walk through the deserted London streets. Thankfully not many muggles were about, as he was sure that they looked like quite the queer pair of people, travelling cloaks and robes. Sakura, perhaps, could have fit in with muggle fashion without the cloak, but Nicolas surely would have drawn a few looks.

Nicolas had enjoyed this evening as much as their time in Poland, if not more, and had found that in the time between the two evenings he thought of Sakura significantly more than he had prior to that - which had been little, if any, at all. He wondered now just what this meant for them, how the office would feel now, and how often they'd see each other, if at all, outside of the office. His mind was brought out of this train of thought as Sakura poke to him once more. "Besides my affair with cauldron cakes? I fear you don't quite comprehend how involved that affair is. A second weakness would likely destroy me, you see. Even this cauldron cakes business... if the Death Eaters ever found out." Nicolas rolled his eyes in jest. Even if he had been serious with his words, he would have lied in them. The truth was he was slowly developing another weakness, whether he recognized it fully or not, and that weakness was currently at his side, linked in his arm.

"What are your weaknesses, then? Aside from concrete, that is."

Sakura felt so relaxed on his arm, as if this was simply where she was supposed to have always been. There was something so beautiful and final about being with him, she had never been a big one for dating, correction ... she had really never dated, yet being with Nicolas seemed to wipe out the face and thought of any other male. Even long after she had left his side, her thoughts invariably returned to him often wondering what he would think of a certain situation or if he'd like or dislike a particular article she had been reading. So often her thoughts incorporated him that she never really felt as if they had even been apart for the past few days. Though Poland seemed a life time ago and even his healing of her earlier that day seemed as if born in another life time, she knew each moment she spent with him was branded into her heart and her memory forever.

Chuckling lightly she could not help but halt her steps as she turned to face him, her hand sliding from his arm to hold his hand while her free hand took his other as naturally as the breeze blowing about them.
"So no other weaknesses. Hmmm well I hope I never crack under pressure if ever a bunch of death eaters capture me. You're secret is save with me Nicolas King" she smiled up at him, a blush rose to her cheeks as he asked her about her own weaknesses. She wanted to give him the list she had always been able to recite, her penchant for quidditch was a huge weakness of hers, her family another and her bestfriend but the greatest weakness she knew she had now was the man before her. She could not speak for fear she would say it aloud but she could no more prevent her eyes from relaying it than she could prevent her heart from beating out his name over and over.

Nicolas stopped as Sakura did and smiled as she took his second hand with hers. He stood there, admiring her features as accentuated by the moonlight for a brief moment which held the most pleasant eternity he'd yet experienced. 'I'd never let that happen to you.' was Nicolas' first and only thought as Sakura assured him that, should she be captured by death eaters, his secret would be safe with her. He knew she was continuing on in his jest, but the mention of Death Eaters set him back, and in that moment it seemed very apparent to him that this was somebody who was more than a casual encounter with a simple thank you dinner, a few follow up dates, and then a fading relationship allowing them both to go their separate ways, and Nicolas to concern himself with what was the only thing he'd concerned himself with fully for the past fifteen years: his job. This was obviously something more, though what it was he couldn't possibly fathom.

The moment of clarity passed quickly enough, however, and in Nicolas' mind he was once more in the present, with Sakura, a very beautiful young witch who charmed him in ways he couldn't recall ever having been charmed before. He lightly released his right hand from hers and brought it to her cheek once more, the gentle silence of the evening air causing all focus to be on his actions and their closeness. Setting his hand against her soft visage and holding her gaze he smiled warmly, the feeling that had occurred to him in front of the Leaky Cauldron after Poland bubbling up within him once more. This time, however, he wasn't in the mindset to deny it. Tilting his head slightly, he leaned in and kissed Sakura.

It seemed like eternity was passing in the mere seconds she stood there looking at him. She felt the emptiness that his hand leaving hers caused and for the slightest second was convinced they would walk on once more as if whatever moment that was passing between them had never existed. Yet his hand came slowly up to touch her face and though every inclination was to close her eyes and enjoy it's tenderness she could not tear her eyes from his gaze or his smile. The moment intensified and as she watched his head tilt her own seemed to react. Slowly moving towards him and returning the kiss with as much tenderness as he.

The hand he released lifted now to his waist, holding tight to him for fear she would faint. As if living on a wave of clichéd moments her right leg slowly popped and the most heavenly moan escaped her. Kisses were probably marked in some historical tome somewhere, if they were then Sakura knew that their first would most definitely be in there as one of the greatest and sweetest. For it was definitely to be classed as the greatest and sweetest moment of her life so far. Slowly she broke her mouth apart from his, not really wanting to but knowing it was necessary if she were to breath again. Her hazel eyes smiled up into his brown. Unsure what to say or do, she let the moment envelope them a while longer. Afraid to break the spell they seemed to have spun around themselves once more.

"It would seem my mother's attempts at maneuvering this evening into romantic waters has worked" she smiled shyly at him. Slowly she turned herself in the direction they had been walking giving his hand a gentle squeeze as she then gazed down at their joined fingers, "Is it too presumptuous of me to expect to see you again ... outside of work?"there was still that smile on her face that she knew would be impossible to wipe off now and no sooner would she be back at the Leaky but she would be contacting her mother with news of her eventful evening.

Time seemed to stop as Sakura clung to Nicolas and they shared their moment. The world around them seemed to fade away, the ground, the street of London, the moon, the stars, the universe itself seemed to be just that moment between the two who had only recently grown to become attached to each other, but seemed to have fallen headfirst in to something which to Nicolas was still quite unfathomable in is depths. He was falling without sight or hope of an end to it.

As Sakura broke their kiss Nicolas' smile continued, glad he obliged the feeling which he had earlier ignored. They continued to walk once more and he cautioned a small chuckle at Sakura's mention of her mother, returning the squeeze as their hands remained intertwined. "Only if it's presumptuous of me to expect the same." Came Nicolas' reply, his gaze now looking toward the moon before simply closing his eyes a moment and exhaling. This situation was certainly different than all others he'd ever known, and he felt quite relieved that Sakura appeared to feel similarly to himself.

She could not help but beam brightly at his response though somewhere deep inside of her she felt she had known what he was going to say anyhow. They would have have kissed the way they had if they didn't feel something for the other surely? In Sakura's mind and heart she knew without a doubt that she felt strongly for him, that she would take on a dozen death eaters, brave a kitchen without the use of magic and so much more just for him.

A slight shiver ran through her as the wind picked up a bit and the coldness of the night began to surround them. She could not help the instinct to move slightly closer and snuggle into him as they walked. Again their conversation became a light hearted banter and she found herself mesmerized by him all over again. Each minute felt like the first in his company and she knew that she would never be bored with him, never find any time with him dull.

"Perhaps I have become accustomed to the warmer climate of New Zealand after all" she told him, feeling the beginnings of a yawn coming on. The past few weeks had been crazy, whisking back and forth to work and all over the world in search of Bella. Now for the first time in ages, she felt so utterly relaxed and hoped that like the night she had returned home from Poland, that tonight she would find the most peaceful of sleeps overcome her again. He seemed to have that affect on her, making her feel so completely safe that even her mind slowed down to relax for a while.
"Nicolas would you mind terribly if we returned?" she felt another chill run through her as she wrapped her arm about his waist as if trying to garner as much heat from him as possible.

Nicolas smiled as their conversation picked up again and their light hearted banter pervaded the quiet evening's air. As Sakura shivered slightly, Nicolas stopped and released her hand, taking his cloak off and putting it over her shoulders before wrapping his arm around her and allowing her to draw in closer to him. As Sakura enquired if he should mind too terribly much if they returned, he chuckled. Neither possible answer to this question could be accurate. Should he say he wouldn't mind, he risked offending her that he hadn't enjoyed their evening. In truth he did mind, he didn't want the night to end. Not yet, at least. On the other hand they had work in the morning, and he still had other things to do before he could sleep that night. Though how he intended to sleep with the excitement these few hours had brought him, he didn't know.

Nicolas settled on not replying with words at all. He drew Sakura in to himself and placed his arms around her, holding on to her tightly and instructing her to do likewise (though it seemed she needed no instruction ;) ). England to New Zealand was a trip Nicolas did often, and this bit of apparition should be easy enough. He'd even made the trip with a side-along before, so the risk of splinching Sakura would be minimal. He smiled down to the woman in his arms, caught in her gaze but a moment before he closed his eyes and brought them to the front steps of the Leaky Cauldron in Obsidian.

Nicolas opened his eyes when the world stopped spinning about them and smiled down to Sakura. "Now I haven't splinched you either, I should hope?" He asked, loosening his hold on her as he did so.

His penchant for gallantry astounded her, she thought true gentlemen were long since gone or mere relics like her father and grandfather. She did not consider Nicolas as old as they were, one was pushing ninety while the other was turning 56 years in the New Year. She snuggled in to the warmth of the cloak he draped over her, enjoying the feel of his arm about her. He never replied with words to her but instead enveloped her into the circle of his arms, as she stood now so close to him her own arms embracing him she could only smile in awe of him. His eyes closed and in that split second she wanted nothing more than to reach up and gently touch his face. When she did look about her again, it was to see them standing outside the Leaky Cauldron once more. As much as she did not want the night to end, she knew once again it had too but at least she would see him at work in the morning and all the other days after that.

She felt his arms loosen and could not prevent the sigh that escaped her and hesitated at first in loosening her own though eventually she did it as well. A light peel of laughter bubbled from her as she shook her head, she was not splinched though the only thing she knew for certain that was no longer within her or her own, was her heart. It seemed firmly rooted in him now and though she tried to tell herself that her emotions were hurdling out of control so fast for him, she could not prevent it from happening. No more than she could stop the sun from rising and setting.

"I am splinch free Nicolas" she smiled up at him though the sobriety of having to say goodnight now overwhelmed her and going to her empty rented room seemed such a miserable conclusion. She had to see him again, not just at work but after it as well. If nothing else her heart demanded it, yearned for it ... for him.
"I guess this is goodnight then".

Nicolas smiled down as Sakura as their arms loosened, though still around each other, and she confirmed that she was still whole. He'd figured as much, having not heard a scream upon their arrival, but confirmation was always nice as well. As Sakura started about having to leave Nicolas caught her gaze once more and the emotions she seemed to feel for him mixed with those of him for her. He smiled and leaned in once more, kissing Sakura softly, giving her a parting kiss which displayed his current emotions quite well, but tamed them for the evening.

After a moment's kiss Nicolas parted his lips from hers and smiled, "Now it's goodnight." He offered with a wink. Sakura offered him back his cloak and thanked him for the evening. Nicolas accepted the cloak and said that it was her treat, and he should thank her. He then watched as Sakura's form retreated back in to the Leaky Cauldron before turning and leaving, deciding now to walk at least part of his way home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back