The Gables

Esmerelda Smickett

Esmerelda was getting on a bit in years now, not as spry as she once was she relied more and more heavily each day on her magic. Which wasn't so bad but she found that she was also using her transfiguration skills more and more as well. It was just much easier all round and of course on the school vacations she had now a full house and had very little to do herself. Considering she had her grandson over more and more and her goddaughter plus their friends who she also considered family, Essie couldn't have been happier.

She sat back in her rocking chair as she read the Daily Prophet using her finger to stir the stew in the large cauldron. There was so much creap in the paper these days, she wondered when anything decent would be printed.

Coughing as she stepped out, she smiled as she saw her godmother sitting there wagging her finger.
"Hope there's enough for one more" she walked over and gave her a huge hug, "Essie this is Ruki. Found him and had to bring him home".

She could only smile as she began to walk to the stairs at the end of the room.
"I'm going to freshen up see you in a bit".

Andy didn't mind leaving Ruki there with her godmother, she knew he'd be taken care of.

Essie stood up as the fireplace seemed to spit her god-daugther out. She smiled and hugged her back looking behind her to see a young man.
"Ruki is it? It's lovely to have you. You must be in dire need of freshening up" she caught the whiff instantly of fish and pointing upwards as Andromeda made her way upstairs, told the boy how to get to Harrison's room.

"Go top of the stairs and turn left. First door. It's empty for now, the boys will be back in a few minutes. You go get yourself settled and come down for dinner when you're ready. I was making Irish stew so I hope that's alright".

The door burst open and in walked three boys. Each has tall as the other, each one goodlooking in his own way. They had known each other since they had begun at Durmstrang though Harrison and Fenton had known each other before that. They called themselves the Three Musketeers at one point but now that they had all past 16 they stopped, thinking it slightly childish. The only place where they got to behave anywhere like the big boys they were was at The Gables and as Harrison walked into his grandmothers kitchen he turned to the other two.

“I’m telling you the last time that **** scored like that he was penalized as well. He cheats, he can’t help himself. That entire team cheats” he walked in and picked up an apple kissed his grandmother on the cheek and leaned against the counter top.

The next boy to walk in and kiss Essie on her forehead this time was Fenton. He plucked a few grapes from the bowl and sat on the trestle table in the center of the kitchen.
“I wouldn’t go so far as to say the entire team are but I’ll give you the majority” he laughed as he popped the grapes into his mouth.

“Last time they played this good half of them had used wands on the pitch. I mean did you see the way the chasers actually blatantly whipped them out to move the quaffle along. Man I could have cracked up at that. They didn’t give a toss what the ref said to them”.

“Well they probably felt they had to cheat today, did you see those Veela? I’m just glad Violet wasn’t there to see. Think my tongue hung out and dragged it’s way for the entire game. Think I actually missed most of the game coz I was too busy looking at the cheer leaders. They should be banned you know” Aries strolled in after them and gave Essie a warm hug, lifting her up and placing her back by her chair.

“You should be sitting down. Teams were crap, girls were hot, ref got bludgeoned within an inch of his life, all in all a normal day of quidditch, huh guys” he laughed whacking the back of Fenton’s head, “get off the table man”.

As Ruki stepped out of the fire-place, he heard Andromeda introduce him to her god-mother. He couldn't prevent the smile that had found its way across his face. The girl had made it sound like he was lost property. Ruki watched Andromeda head off up-stairs, as her god-mother made him feel welcome. Very few people where as warm and open as this woman seemed to be at this moment. "Yes ma'am." Ruki responded to his name. "And yes. I'm afraid I ended up a little too close to a few slimy fish." Ruki continued, half-bowing once more; pleased to meet the acquaintance of the polite and cheerful woman. How long would he and Andromeda be able to keep their story to themselves.

Listening intently as the older woman indicated directions up-stairs, Ruki wondered if he was ready to eat another meal so soon. Nodding politely as he left, Ruki made his own way up-stairs. Reaching the top, Ruki wanted to find Andromeda. He wanted to know how old she was, and whether his suspicion was correct. Surely she couldn't be his age. Could she. Locating the first door to his left, Ruki pushed it open and wandered in-side. Closing the door behind him, Ruki placed his ruck-sack onto the floor and sank beside it. Placing his head into his hands, Ruki closed his eyes. Darkness swam through him. Durmstrang had made him cold, but he fought it with every ounce of passion he could create. Before his parents had changed, they where well known and well respected people; hosting parties for the higher classes. Ruki could remember the fun he had had as a child. Fun which was no more. Childish laughter that would never be heard again. Ruki felt himself slip from his parents hearts, all those years ago, as they embraced the darkness of their souls. No longer would they be respected. They where now feared.

Sitting himself up-right, Ruki banged his head off of the door he had slumped against. "Ouch." he called out, hoping no-one had heard. Pushing himself up, Ruki wandered into the en-suit bathroom that accompanied the bedroom he was slowly causing to smell of fish. Reaching the shower, Ruki turned the tap on full; and waited for the water to heat up.

Esmerelda smiled at the boy as he then made his way upstairs, about to sit down once more the front door burst open and in walked her three favourite boys. She listened to their banter for a while after returning their affectionate greetings.

"We have a guest for dinner this evening, so be nice alright. Andromeda seems to have picked up a waif along the harbour" she didn't bother sitting down even when Aries picked her up effortlessly and placed her infront of her chair.
"why don't you sit down if you are so eager and wait till I see that young girl of yours. You should be ashamed of yourself drooling over Veela like that" she scolded insincerely as she wagged a finger to stir the stew once more.

"Kettle" she muttered flicking another finger, only to have the copper kettle drum on the stove come to life and begin to boil.

Fenton turned at the sound of her name and climbed down from the table pulling a face at Aries.

“Andy is here? Of course she’s here, why wouldn’t she be. I just thought she was going to stay at the hospital for a while. Sleep in the dorms there or something. She’s done that a few times, just figured she’d be doing it tonight as well” he knew he was babbling but what else could he do when it came to anything to do with her.

Aries broke down in a fit of laughter and stood by Harrison as he folded his arms.
“So who is it this time? Boy, girl, dog, cat? Is she trying to start up Sanctuary here as well” he watched Fenton beginning to look decidedly uncomfortable and figured the guy could do with getting out there more. Andy had no interest in any of them like that and never would. They were like surrogate brothers to her and as soon as Fenton understood that once and for all, he could actually get on with enjoying the rest of his winter vacation.

Harrison frowned slightly as his grandmother informed them that Andy was here and had brought someone with her. He too like Fenton had thought she’d be staying back at the hospital for another few nights at least, the crush he had on her had waned considerably on meeting Serena but he still couldn’t help ogling her when she was about. Of course Fenton had it a lot worse than what he did, poor sod. Interested to know just who this waif was he looked at his grandmother.
“Hmmm what type of waif are we talking here?” all thoughts now of quidditch gone right out the window.

Andromeda went to her room and freshened up at her leisure, there was no point in rushing she had to calm herself down to some degree. The adrenaline was pumping through her like no tomorrow from the events at The Leaky Cauldron. She had also just brought a complete stranger back to their home with out a seconds thought but of course she had often brought people home, but they were more often than not people she had known well in advance of a few hours. Once she had washed and managed to calm herself a bit she changed out of the trainee nurses uniform and pulled on a pair of jeans and a loose oversized Gryffindor sweater, slipping her feet into an old pair of converse she tied her long hair up in a high ponytail and taking her wands out placed them into her back pockets. She took a deep breath and left her room.

As she stood in the landing at the foot of the stairs, she heard voices below that made her stop. Harrison, Aries and Fenton were all in. By the sounds of it Ruki wasn't down there though, she looked over at the door to Harrison's room and wondered if she should knock and wait to go down with him. It would be like walking into the lions den otherwise for him. The three would bombard him with a ton of questions and even if herself and Essie attempted to field them, they would persist.

Deciding to let him finish getting cleaned up without her interupting him, she went and sat on the window seat directly opposite the bedroom door. So he would see her at least as he left the room. The day was a strange one and she wondered was it only going to get stranger.

Climbing in to the shower, Ruki allowed himself to sink away. His mind flowed into emptiness as all of his senses where numbed. He hadn't had a decent shower for weeks. Un-aware of the time that was passing before him, Ruki clambered out of the shower and, wrapping up in a towel, made his way back into the bedroom. Opening a window slightly to allow the humidity in the air dissipate, Ruki proceeded to pick up his ruck-sack and open the zips. Pushing a handful of his clothes about, Ruki pulled out a shirt and a pair of loose fitting jeans. Drying himself off, Ruki pulled on his fresh set of clothes before replacing the towel on a towel rack; and tidying the bathroom slightly from the mess he had left.

Heading back from the bathroom, Ruki closed the window; placed his ruck-sack into a corner; and scooped up his dirty clothes, along with his wand. After todays events, he was going to try a lot harder not to lose it stupidly again. Sighing as he made his way towards the door, Ruki could only wonder what else was in store for him. Andromeda's god-mother had mentioned others would be joining them, or was it he who was joining the others. Not knowing what to expect, Ruki took a deep breath; and allowed the memories of his parents lessons flood through him once more.

Closing his hand around the handle, Ruki stepped backwards as he opened the door; only to be met with the sight of Andromeda. Ruki's in-sides seemed to re-position themselves into their rightful places as he saw her. At least he wouldn't have to head back downstairs alone.

Andy turned at the sound of the door opening and smiled at Ruki. He smelled different at least and this thought simply made her smile brighten.
"You found everything ok?" she asked him, sliding down from the window seat. Andromeda was a stately 5' 9" and usually towered over most boys her age and it was this reason that many often thought she was also older than her 15 nearly 16 years. She smiled at him.
"Would you mind not mentioning about The Leaky downstairs, I mean mention of course that we met there but not about the bar brawl?" she was pleading but was as close as. The boys and her godmother would have her guts for garters if they found out she had used magic outside of school.

Esmerelda managed to make a large pot of tea without too much difficulty even with the three of them in the kitchen making the small room seem remarkably smaller.

"Slow down with the questions there" she laughed, "now let me see, yes Andy is here. I do wish you'd call her Andromeda I don't like that version at all. Too masculine a name I think. Yes she's staying tonight and so is her frien or stray. It's a boy or he is a boy and seems to have come a long way so be nice."

She made a point of walking past Fenton with a tray of scones to put on the table, a finger reached out and poked him in the side.
"That means you behave and be nice".

Harrison laughed as Fenton got the brunt of his grandmothers berating.
"So I guess he's staying in my room then?" it seemed fine, there were after all two bunk beds there while there was only two single beds in Andy's room, he looked abruptly at his grandmother, "he is staying in my room isn't he?"

Esmerelda grinned as her grandson sputtered his question at her. She decided to leave him dangling for a while, what was the point of putting him out of his misery or Fenton for that matter. She patted Aries cheek gently, delighted that one of them at least was not smitten with her god-daughter.

"You're a good boy" she told him still choosing to ignore Harrison's question about the sleeping arrangements

Fenton listened as he was told that Andy was definitely staying the night and winced as Essie's finger found his side. He tried to scowl but couldn't, not at the woman he considered his surrogate grandmother. When Harrison asked his own question regarding where this 'boy' was sleeping, Fenton waited and waited but she said nothing.

"Come on, she brings a strange boy back here and you're going to let him share a room with her? Over my dead body!" he exclaimed taking a scone and roughly taking a bite from it.

Aries sighed but smiled as Essie patted his cheek, he winked at her and couldn't believe that in all this time her own grandson didn't get her or Fenton for that matter. No wonder he was the Ravenclaw in the bunch.

"Now calm down do you really think that little of Essie? do you really think she would let any boy sleep in with Andy? And if she did, do you really think anything would happen while the two of you are there ready to pounce on the guy just for living?"

He chuckled now frowning as Fenton tucked into a scone, turning around he managed to swipe one himself then retreated to the other side of the table so Esmerelda wouldln't scold him for it. Aries was always grateful that he had met Violet, she was the most amazing person in his life and wished the other two would find their own 'Violet's ' and stop pestering Andromeda once and for all.

Stepping from the room, Ruki caught Andromeda's smile; and returned one of his own. "I did, yes. Thank you." Ruki informed the girl. As he pulled the bedroom door closed, Ruki's smile vanished from his face. He had forgotten about the earlier events at the tavern. The time spent in the shower had allowed him to clear his mind. "Of course. How many people would believe us anyway?" Ruki's smile returned as he attempted to reassure her.

Deciding now was a better time to ask, and against his better judgement; Ruki knew he had to find out how old the young woman really was. Ruki had been taught to never ask someone their age. To his parents and their friends, it never mattered amongst men; and was impolite to ask a woman. The more Ruki thought about the days previous events, the more confused he became. "Before we head down, I'm afraid I may have thought you older than you might actually be.". Ruki felt ridiculous. It was such an easy question, but his words had made little sense. "As I attempt to piece everything together, I seem to have the feeling you aren't of age; as I thought you where.". Ruki could only hope Andromeda understood what he was trying to figure out.

If the young woman was of age, why had she waited so long to use magic. And if she wasn't, what would it matter. Ruki owed her.

Andy liked his smile, it wasn't forced but natural a simple reflection of her own. She was glad he agreed not to say a word but couldn't help but grin mischievously at his comment.
"Oh trust me, if I have anything to do with it my godmother would believe it no problem" she moved to the top of the stairs but stopped and turned to face him.

"You thought I was of age?" she wished she could laugh but he wasn't the first person to think that, indeed her tall frame and maturity were usually enough to set anyone thinking she was about 17 or so. The brutality, pain and loss and the other host of rigours she had experienced had all left their mark on her, so that she would always appear to have a more worldly out look than many her age.
"That's ok, I get that alot. I'm fifteen. I turn sixteen in September. I'm sorry I tried as hard as I could not to use magic but it couldn't be helped in the end. If the ministry show up you won't be in trouble, I'll take the flack."
She could only assume that he himself was of age, considering how quickly he had resorted to magic in the duel.

Catching a grin appear across the girls features, Ruki listened to her words. It seemed she either had a lot of bad luck, or she simply knew where to find the most fun. As she questioned him, Ruki became un-sure about his actions; beginning to feel slightly less confident. The brief feeling was soon removed as the girl confirmed Ruki's earlier thoughts. She was under-age. She was, in fact, his age. Ruki stood, his feet once more planted firmly to the ground. He was slightly stunned, and bemused, to hear her words. With every passing second, it was becoming much more difficult for him to believe the days events in their entirety.

Hearing the girls words mention the Ministry, Ruki fixed his eyes upon her. They could both end up in trouble, but Ruki knew the Durmstrang Institute hated the Ministry. He had his sanctuary. The girl however, didn't. As soon as she had stated she would take the blame, Ruki couldn't allow her to do this. It was his fault. He had to be honourable. "I can't allow you take all of the blame Andromeda. Everything that had happened was due to my in-ability to think first. I am the one who should be punished for endangering your life.". Ruki couldn't allow her to protect him a second time. Could he. As he saw his fathers reaction to his lack of honour, Ruki knew he couldn't.

"If your Ministry arrives, you only need to inform them of how you had saved me from a curse. And for that, I am forever thankful.". Ruki gave the girl a weary, yet deeply thankful smile. Attempting to lighten the situation, Ruki moved towards the stairs as he spoke. "My sixteenth birthday falls within November.". Ruki grinned, hoping slightly that the girl hadn't been having the same conflicting thoughts as he had. Standing at the top of the stairs, Ruki glanced down them as he heard voices. "Shall we?" he asked the girl.

Andromeda was glad she was in her bare feet, she was much taller than him and even going down a step seemed just about to balance them out.
"Hey don't be daft, it was my wrist Boris grabbed. It was me who wouldn't be nice but thank you for being such a sweetheart and coming to my rescue. Most gallant of you" she grinned wickedly, "Any how I'm sure the Ministry don't mind when it's self defense" she hoped anyhow, of course they would probably come down stronger on her for no other reason than being prejudicial towards werewolves.

"yeah come on before the hounds come to find us. Have to warn you, they are very overbearing when they're trying to do the whole male macho act. They're not my brothers but they may as well be". She continued down the stairs until she was standing in the kitchen.

"Hey guys, how did the game go?" she turned to smile at Ruki moving aside for him to enter.

The words that left Andromeda's lips reached into Ruki. He had done something else right. The more good things he achieved, the further away he could place himself from his parents. Taking a deep breath, Ruki followed the girl as she made her way down the stairs. Still not knowing what to expect, Ruki caught another smile from Andromeda as he gracefully entered the kitchen. "Enter it as if you own it.". The words of his father echoed through Ruki's mind. "Confidence is the key to power.". Ruki wanted to scream, but he knew, deep in-side, as much as he would try to fight them, his fathers words where true.

As he stepped into the kitchen, Ruki's eyes scanned three additional; seemingly older guys. About to introduce himself, Ruki's eyes froze. "Fenton?". Surely it wasn't. The fellow Durmstrang student Ruki had briefly met not so long ago. "Our presences are graced once more.". Ruki directed his words at the older student, offering his hand once again.

Fenton turned at the sound of Andy and smiled at her, she could wear a black bag and she'd still look great. About to answer her he watched as she stepped aside, no doubt to let the aimless wonder in. He turned away to take another scone only to get his hand slapped away by Essie when he heard his name. Looking up he grinned, he thought at one time that he might have something to fear with this boy ever meeting Andromeda. Knowing that if he ever got his transfer he'd be in the same class as her but looking at them side by side, she was towering over him. They just didn't look good together at all. This thought cheered him immensely and he found he could be very nice to the bloke after all.

"Rukevra, you're a long way from home" he moved forward taking the boys hand in his own then turned to introduce him to the group, "Rukevra is from Durmstrang as well. A year below us guys. He'd have been in ..." Fenton turned to look at Andromeda before looking at the boy, did he know Andy? Had he attended any of the DA classes at all in the school? For a moment he let it drop, perhaps they did know each other from before today. Maybe he wasn't such a waif or stray after all? This made Fenton look differently at the boy again. He released his hold on his hand as he continued the introductions.

"This is Harrison and this is Aries. You've met Essie and obviously Andy" he muttered the last name, "So what brings you here?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back