The Gables

Harrison leaned forward and held out his own hand after being briefly introduced. He didn't recognise the boy at all but that wasn't surprising considering Harrison had left in his third year of school.

"Pleased to meet you Rukevra" the name was a bit of a mouthful but the boys had been used to alot trickier to pronounce than that at Durmstrang.
He like Fenton, wondered now at the relationship between the pair of them. Had they known each other back at school while she had been there? She had never mentioned him though. Harrison decided to simply watch the proceedings.

Aries also extended his own hand after being introduced.

"Long way to come, surely the winter weather didn't entice you here did it?" he grinned, if he could get the boys to get over wherever their minds were taking them, the better.
So he smiled at Andy to answer her question.
"The French team nearly had a clear win but the Hornets brought it round in the end and do not believe a word they tell you about me swooning over any Veela, it's not true" he laughed as he ducked out of the way, knowing full well both Fenton and Harrison would try to playfully punch him.

Andy stopped and looked from Fenton to Ruki, this was disturbing indeed. They knew each other and worse still he was from Durmstrang. She moved out of the way as the boys introduced themselves with the typical handshake. Andy sat down and took a scone from the tray and began to break it apart, eating it in small pieces as she listened to them all. Her mind ticking over all the time. Fenton had more or less maintained that they had been in the same year at Durmstrang. She looked at him now but she couldn't recognize anyone from back then. What did he remember though? Or had he simply heard the werewolf rumours?

She smiled at Esmerelda who was buzy sorting the dinner out, getting up she went over to help her only to be shoo'd away. Taking herself off then, Andy decided to leave them all at it as she wandered outside and around to the orchard at the side of the house. She walked on bare feet across the grass to where the tree swing was hung and slowly began to swing on it. There seemed to be alot to contemplate, an awful lot.

As their hands met, Fenton spoke to Ruki; before introducing him to the group. Shaking their hands, Ruki nodded at both Harrison and Aries before answering the number of questions that had been sent his way. Turning to Fenton, Ruki smiled. "Any distance is not far enough from home.". Be it his parents or Durmstrang, Ruki simply wanted to be as far away from them as possible. "If my transfer is successful I shall be moving here, or more precisely, dragged by my parents." Ruki began. Any thoughts he had had previously about not leaving Durmstrang had faded away. He wanted to leave now. He wanted to stay in New Zealand. "I thought a visit was in order. I couldn't face going home for the holidays.".

Looking back at Fenton, Ruki had a question of his own. "How was your transfer request?".

Noticing Andromeda had headed out-side, Ruki turned his attention towards her god-mother. "The stew smells wonderful." Ruki commented with a smile. Un-sure of the woman's full name, Ruki posed another question. "Is it okay for me to call you Essie?".

Esmerelda could only smile at the banter, she was so used to all of this that it simply didn't bother her. What did was the knowledge that soon they would all be off at school again and she would be here at the house on her own. There was nothing worse. So she enjoyed every bit of noise that circulated with the younger generation here. The boy seemed very polite and it was good that he appeared to know Fenton, though she too became mildly concerned as they did about his relationship with her god-daughter. Andromeda hadn't appeared to know him very well when they had arrived so it was hard to say and then with Andromeda leaving the house like that, Essie could only surmise that her god-daughter was a bit nervous of what this boy did know about her.

"Call me Essie by all means, they all do. Anyone who calls me gran gets an ear full" she smiled at him placing a large hot mug of cocoa infront of him.
"It's cold enough and it's obviously been a long day for you" she said as began to set the table for the dinner, insisting she could do it herself so the others didn't have to clutter up her kitchen any further.

"Boys why don't you all go wash up for dinner now, Rukevra would you mind calling Andromeda? Just let her know that dinner will be another ten minutes, she'll be in the orchard at the side of the house" whatever needed to aired between the two was best done away from the others who would only be too happy to pounce on the boy.

Listening to the older woman, Ruki smiled at the thought of calling someone gran. He had never met any of his grand-parents. Before Ruki was born, his fathers family had all passed away; or where murdered for one reason or another. Ruki looked slightly distant now. He wished he had other family he could see. Not realising Essie had placed a mug of cocoa in front of him, Ruki blinked; slightly startled at her last words. Watching the older woman set the table, Ruki saw the mug. Recovering, Ruki gave his thanks. "Thank you Essie. It has been quite a long day. A nice hot drink is just what I need.".

Taking a slow sip, Ruki blew on the steaming liquid as the three older guys made their way out of the kitchen. Wondering slightly why he had to call Andromeda, Ruki nodded and acknowledged the request. Walking towards the door, Ruki stepped out-side. Still carrying the hot mug, Ruki rounded the side of the house; and stared in amazement. The lines of trees looked beautiful covered in snow. Moving closer, Ruki caught sight of Andromeda on a swing. She looked worried. Reaching her, Ruki smiled reassuringly. "I am to inform your ladyship dinner shall be ten minuets.". Ruki cringed. He had used words only meant for his times at functions of the higher class. The girl may not hold the title of a lady, but Ruki felt; as the day grew stranger, she deserved to be treat as one.

Andromeda looked up at the sound of Ruki's voice. She gave him a smile for how he spoke and what he said.
"Guess she didn't give you a second one of those did she?" the fact that Andy was still in her bare feet had been lost to her until she had stepped outside onto the bitter white ground but it hadn't really bothered her at all. There had been some working boots at the side of the house that she had knocked snow from and slipped on.

"Sorry if the boys starting going off a little on one, they get a bit over protective of me" she told him continuing to swing gently, each time the branch the ropes were tied to shook some flakes of snow onto the ground below or on to her hair.

"I didn't know you were Durmstrang. How could I know right?" she gazed upwards to the darkening sky, night was fast approaching, "What year are you in?"
She needed to know, had to know whether he had been in her year or not. Whether he knew her history from that school or not.

Catching Andromeda smile, Ruki responded to her question as he stood against the tree the girl was swinging from. "I'm afraid not." Ruki replied. "I have only taken a sip, so you are quite free to share.". Ruki wondered for a second. Who would share a warm drink with a person they didn't even know. Choosing to hold on to the cup for now, Ruki listened to the girls apology. "If each day is similar to today, I can most certainly understand why.". Ruki smiled once more, still feeling annoyed at himself for the days events. Not wishing to re-count them, Ruki listened intently to the young girl; watching the snow fall softly onto her hair.

Ruki's eyes spread as Andromeda mentioned the word he least wanted to hear. "Durmstrang. That infesterous hole.". The institute bread darkness. "Ever since I arrived here I have felt happier. The institute seemed to drag my soul from within. I do not intent to return.". Ruki knew he would have to if his transfer was un-successful. His parents would prefer him to study there, but they also wanted to keep him close. Something had caused them to head to New Zealand, to drag Ruki along with them once more; but this time Ruki did not care. He had found a little happiness out-side of Durmstrang. "I was in my fourth year." Ruki commented, as he brushed some snow from his face; and took another sip of cocoa. "Are you there too?" Ruki finally asked. Her words had made it seem as if she was. Or at least, she had been; and like himself and Fenton, chose to leave.

Continuing to swing Andy listened to everything he said. So he had been at Durmstrang and would have been in the same year as well. She looked across from him and merely nodded her head.
"I transferred there back in 2020" she didn't know why she was telling him now, perhaps it was that eventually he might recognise her, "I eventually got taken out of the school by Essie and eventually I was able to return to Hogwarts where I should have stayed."

Andy swung for a moment more before jumping from it and walking or more clomping over through the snow to him. The boots were a little on the big side after all. She held her hand out for the mug of hot cocoa with a smile.
"I'll share, I grew up in a huge household so kind of used to it" she told him.

As Ruki continued to watch the girl swing back and forth, he listened to her words; nodding ever so slightly to show his interest. As he listened, Ruki tried to recognise her face. She had been to Durmstrang, but he had never seen her before. Ruki knew he would barely recognise anyone from those dark and depressing walls. Watching as the young girl jumped from the swing, Ruki allowed a stifled laugh escape as she attempted to walk through the snow in seemingly large boots. "It may be in-appropriate for me to question ..". Ruki paused for a moment, smiling as he handed Andromeda the mug of cocoa. ".. What was the reason for your transfer to Durmstrang.". Why someone would wish to transfer there, only to leave again was puzzling to Ruki. During his four years, Ruki had met several students who he felt would embrace the darker side of magic. This was something Ruki detested. His parents had allowed themselves to be controlled by evil. Ruki felt he had to do everything he could to not follow in their path.

"I understand if it is too personal." Ruki spoke once more, his voice soft and caring. He could sense the girl wished to talk, but couldn't help feeling she wished to forget about her past. "Should we head in for dinner?" Ruki asked, knowing he had to change the subject.

Andy shook her head.
"Essie won't be expecting us just yet, trust me" she knew her godmother enough to know that the only reason she had sent Ruki out here was for Andy to ascertain whether or not he knew her from Durmstrang. She was as concerned as the boys and Andy herself but Ruki's reply had eased her somewhat. She took the mug from his hand and sipped it before passing it back again.

"I didn't want to move, my mother remarried and he thought it would better suit me to transfer there..."Andy paused there was no way she could even begin to tell him what had happened after that, it was hard to imagine that there were students from back then who didn't know about the werewolf. Goodness knew there were enough classes held down in the dungeons where they had changed her room to, her own private torture cell. She shuddered.
"The only thing I need to be aware of is that I got out of there" albeit nearly at deaths door but Essie had rescued her before it had been too late, "maybe it is time to go back".

Andy bent down and carefully began to undo the boots, reaching out with a hand to hold onto one of the trees for support but instead found Ruki. It didn't bother her that she leaned on him instead as she took her bare feet out of the boots and smiling at him, moved away to put the boots back against the wall. The cold ground was like an anesthetic to her feet, numbing them almost instantly. She walked to the door and waited for him to catch up.

As Andromeda took a sip of the hot drink, Ruki began to reflect on why he was stood in a beautiful orchard; in a place he had traveled to through a fireplace. Ruki suddenly became cautious. He had no idea where he was. Was he even still in New Zealand. Catching the girl shudder, Ruki instantly felt the coldness in the air; as he was only wearing a shirt himself. Rubbing his arm slightly, Ruki took another sip of the cocoa and listened to Andromeda. Heading back to the nice, warm kitchen definitely seemed a good idea now.

Watching as the girl removed the boots from her feet, Ruki felt her hand against him and flinched. Attempting to step backwards, Ruki found himself already against a tree. not quite sure as to what he should to, Ruki gripped the hot mug tightly; and waited for the girl to stand up. As she did so, Andromeda gave him a smile; before heading back towards the house. Sighing for a moment, Ruki gave the orchard one final look; and followed.

Andromeda waited for him to catch up before opening the door and entering. Her cold feet met the warmth of the hall floor and she inhaled deeply. It almost stung to have them on a warm floor now. She sat on the bench at the side of the door and rubbed them carefully. It had been madness to go out without any shoes on but Andy was world famous for her mad before sometimes. Pulling out her slippers from underneath the bench she slipped them on and looked up at Ruki.

"Close the door after you, you'll leave in the ghosts and keep out the heat" she grinned turning and walking back into the kitchen. Noticing that they were all seating down around the table which had been laid. Essie was just about to serve dinner as well. Andy smiled at her and walked over to her side. Lowering herself slightly she whispered in her godmothers ear before turning to the boys and giving them a slight wink and even slighter shake of her head to reassure them that Ruki was clueless about her situation, Andy pulled a chair out and sat down to eat the delicious smelling stew that was now set before her.

It didn't take long to eat and the constant chatter that the boys kept up meant Andy could enter in an unremarkable 'yes' and 'no' when necessary. In between these she often glanced Ruki's way, why did he want to transfer so bad? She wished now she had asked him. It seemed forever before dinner finally finished and Essie reassured them all that she would sort out the cleaning which Andy knew was a quick 'scourgify' and that would be it.

"Well if it's all the one to you then I'll head up to my room. Good night" she smiled at all of them and touching her mouth to her hand kissed it and waved it about the room, "too tired to kiss you all".

With that she slowly mounted the stairs to her room.

Reaching the door, Ruki began to knock the snow from his shoes as Andromeda rubbed her feet. Not fully understanding why she had been bare-foot at all, Ruki simply shrugged it off and stepped in-side; closing the door as instructed. Following the girl into the kitchen, Ruki could see, and smell, the meal that had been laid out before them. Nodding his head towards Fenton; Harrison; and Aries, Ruki made his way towards an empty chair. Seating himself down, Ruki waited for the others to begin; before enjoying the meal which had been kindly offered to him. As the conversation spread around the table, Ruki could do nothing more than listen.

After dinner, Ruki stood and offered to help clear the table; to which the older host assured everyone it would be fine. Listening as Andromeda bid her good-night, Ruki thought it would be a good idea for him to have some sleep. Not knowing where he was meant he would have a journey to make the following morning. "The meal was wonderful Essie, thank you.". Ruki smiled at his host. "I feel it is late enough for myself to bid good-night also.". Ruki had no idea where he was intending to sleep. Pushing in the chair, Ruki glanced around the table.

Fenton and the boys had gone up to freshen up for dinner as asked but he didn't like it and he knew Harrison didn't either. They had kept quiet on the whole matter right up till they were walking down the stairs when both boys noticed she hadn't come back in yet.
"Oh come on she wasn't even wearing shoes. What is she up to?" he exclaimed, "Essie I have a good mind to call her in myself. Can imagine what the two of them are up to out there".
Fenton sat sulkily down in his seat when ordered to do so and eventually watched as both Andromeda and Rukevera walked in. He scanned both of their faces for any traces of a flush that might indicate that they had been up to anything but could only see the redness left by the cold instead. He frowned and looked at Harrison. Conversation was light enough at the table and when it was finally over he was disgusted that she got up to head to bed, even more so when he got up to leave as well. Fenton shot up from his seat immediately.

"Where do you think you're going?" he blurted out.

Harrison sat through the meal in relative silence but he like Fenton did not appreciate the other boys company as much as they might have if he didn't know Andromeda. Shame because he genuinely seemed like a nice guy. Reaching out he grabbed hold of Fenton's arm as he shoved back his seat.

"It's ok, he's going to share my room with all of us" he turned to his godmother to make sure she stressed this point strongly to Rukevra before the boy left.

Esmerelda had hoped that the boy was as clueless as others about her goddaughters condition and so it cheered her immensely when Andromeda came in and whispered to her that Ruki knew nothing. They sat down to their meal and Essie was convinced she could hear a pin drop. This was crazy, the conversation was held together by Aries and herself with Andy and Ruki interjecting at points while the other two simmered their foolishness. Of course it was too much to hope that they would simply behave like gentlemen or like the boys she loved so much. No, the green monster peeked out of both of them as soon as Rukevra got up to go to bed. She was almost certain the chairs would fly backwards with the speed both had gotten up from the table with. She too stood up and raised her hands to stop them all.

"That is enough!" she glared now at Fenton and at Harrison, "You two have been behaving like two spoilt little boys and you will be treated as such. Rukevra I had every intention of putting you into the room with the three boys here but clearly they will try to kill you in your sleep, so you are better off sharing a room with Andromeda if that is alright. There is a Japanese room divider up there so you both will have some bit of privacy of course and there is a bathroom as well. She won't mind I'm sure, will you?"

Essie ignored the ruffled feathers of the two boys before her as she looked at Ruki.

Andy was half way up the stairs when she heard the commotion, she closed her eyes and wished it away but knew that wouldn't happen. Slowly she turned about and walked down listening intently to every word as she did so. She entered the kitchen again as Essie asked Ruki if it was alright with him if he stayed in Andy's room for the night. She herself didn't mind and to stress this she went and stood beside him.

"I've had enough from the two of you, can't you go get a life for yourselves. Do you want to know why I brought him home? Do you?" her temper was beginning to rise now as she glared at Harrison and Fenton, "I was being harassed at the Leaky and he stood up for me. He didn't have to, nobody else was but he did. He stood up to the half-giant Boris. So let me ask the two of you this, if we managed to get out of there in one piece being underage as we are... do you really think you want to take him on yourselves? I owe him, now back off I mean it" she let her temper simmer for a moment before turning to Ruki.

"I have no problem with sharing with you there is another single bed in my room after all" she was actually glad now that the double bed she did have got taken out the year before so two single beds could get in. It just seemed more practical when she had a friend over, "and contrary to popular believe just because I am a... a... red head doesn't mean I snore".

Almost as soon as Ruki had finished pushing in the chair, Fenton had jumped out of his own seat and verbally questioned Ruki's actions. Before he had a second to respond, Ruki caught Harrison also raising to his feet. Listening to his words, Ruki couldn't help feeling he wouldn't survive the night if he was left alone with the two of them. Placing his hand in his pocket, Ruki instinctively took hold of his wand. Not knowing here the situation was going to end up, he thought it best to be prepared this time.

The voice of the wisened older woman rang through the kitchen. Turning towards her, Ruki listened carefully to her words. Not quite sure of how to respond, and still slightly shaken from the previous actions; Ruki gave the boys a cautious look, just as Andromeda re-entered the kitchen. Anger stemmed from the young girl, as Ruki saw her in a whole different light. Earlier that day she had seemed quiet, but confident in her actions. But now, she was furious. The words which flew from the girls lips seemed to stun the entire room into silence. Ruki knew the pair of them would be in trouble as Andromeda had stated so herself if her god-mother was to know about what had happened. As his eyes shifted from one face to another, Ruki began to wish he had never traveled to New Zealand. He wished he had stayed at Durmstrang, or even headed home. At least he wouldn't have faced certain death twice in one day.

Turning back towards Andromeda, Ruki simply stared into her eyes. Ruki knew now that he had over-stayed his welcome. He knew he couldn't stay there for the night. Removing his wand-less hand from his pocket, Ruki turned towards Essie. "I had never meant for such a situation to occur. I can only offer my deepest apologies to you.". Ruki closed his hands together, and half-bowed. Turning to face Fenton and Harrison, Ruki addressed the older boys. "It is me which owes Andromeda. Without her to offer courage as she had, I would surely be writhing in pain at the effects of a curse.". Turning back to face the young girl, Ruki spoke to her. "And for that I shall once again be forever grateful.".

Knowing it was his time to leave, Ruki gave Andromeda a smile; before saying his good-byes. "I fear it is my time to depart. I shall collect my bag and bid you all good night.". Surely his parents would keep their home connected to the floo network.

Aries had pretty much stayed out of everything up till now but when the proverbial crap began to hit the fan and Andromeda had to return down stairs to witness it all, he stood up to have his say.
"I hope the two of you are bloody well ashamed of yourselves. How can you embarrass not only Andy but Esmerelda as well? And embarrass our guest. Can the two of you stop acting like she's your property for all of two minutes?" he ran his fingers through his hair and walked over to where Andromeda and Ruki were standing.
"There's no need for you to go anywhere. I don't need to hear any more of what went on today to know that you both seem indebted to one another. Essie would you mind sleeping in with Andy and Ruki can have your room for the night?"

Aries turned to her with a smile receiving a nod of her head for his efforts.
"That settles it, now not another word. You've obviously had a very long day and need to rest. Esmerelda's room is at the end of the corridor down the hall here" Aries pointed out the other door that led from the kitchen, "Andy can you get his bags please."

He watched her move away silently, mouthing the words thank you as she did so. Did he really take a Ravenclaw to solve every crisis this raggle taggle family had? He turned to the other two and leaned both his hands on the table as he did so.
"Now what do you both have to say?"

[godmodding of Andromeda Fiorelli and Esmerelda Smickett has of course been approved :) ]

Harrison himself couldn't believe how childish he had behaved. Had it really taken Andy to come back into the room and have a go at them, as well as his own grandmother and now Aries before he would see any sense? He walked slowly over to where Rukevra stood and held out his hand shame faced.

"Sorry man, I guess I do tend to get overly protective of her. Please stay though, I'll get an right ear bashing from my gran if you leave at this hour of the night. We're usually not like this" he tried to reassure him stepping back and glowering at Fenton to move forward as well.

So now with all said and done, Fenton was being made to look like the prize turkey. He became resentful very quickly muttered an apology glad that Andromeda was out of the way when he did so but knowing that he would indeed have incurred the wrath of Essie for his brusque apology to Rukevra.

"Sorry man" he didn't bother with a handshake but instead went out side to get some fresh air.

As the good-byes left his lips, Ruki turned once more as the third of the boys; the more sensible of the three, Aries, stood and gave a speech of his own. Listening to Aries, Ruki felt relieved that at least one of them had no issues with him. Thoughts of where he could go that night soon left his mind, as it was decided he would stay in a room alone. Breathing a sigh of relief, Ruki allowed his eyes to follow Aries direction of the room he would temporarily occupy; and before he could make a move, was approached by Harrison.

Listening to the boys apology, Ruki shook the hand he offered; and smiled in acceptance. "I would be happy to stay." Ruki responded. Even though he had wished to be at home moments before, Ruki knew, deep down, he would prefer to be anywhere but. Catching a muffled apology from Fenton, Ruki watched as the older student made his way out-side. Feeling it was best to turn in for the night, Ruki smiled around the room once more; before wishing them a good night. Heading towards the door-way, Ruki wondered if everyone would feel different in the morning.

Andromeda took the bag from the boys room and carried it down stairs. She peeked her head in the kitchen and when she saw no sign of Ruki walked in.
"Tell me he's only gone down the hall" she asked them walking over to Aries and hugging him, "thank you for all of that. Violet is dead lucky to have you".

She turned her attention to Harrison and bristled a little, Andy had known him the longest out of all the boys and seriously had expected better from him. She was stopped from saying anything to him as he came forward and hugged her apologizing as well to her and letting her know that he had done so as well to Ruki. Nothing was mentioned of the rather curt apology that Fenton had made. Essie looked at her and frowned a little before telling her in no uncertain terms that she wanted the full details of what had happened for herself and Ruki to be in each others depth as they were.

It was Andy's turn to look sheepish now and though she also had a twinkle in her eye she smiled lifting the bag.
"I better get this down to him, goodnight you lot" she left the kitchen before they could say another word to her and headed down to the end of the small corridor. Timidly she knocked on the door before entering.

"I brought your bag" she held it up before her as she entered the room.

curtain4posterappleblossom.gif

[all godmods ttly approved =)) ]

Upon reaching the room, Ruki pushed open the door and stepped in-side. His eyes where met with a small room, which contained a large bed; a dresser; a wardrobe; a number of pictures hanging from the walls; and even a sink. Moving forward, Ruki smiled at the homeliness of the room as he closed the door behind him; and took a seat on the edge of the bed. Sinking slightly, Ruki placed his hands out beside him as he felt the softness of the mattress. At least his night was going to be comfortable. Staring at his feet for a moment, Ruki tried to understand the events of the dinner table. He couldn't help but feel the whole thing was his fault. Standing up, Ruki headed over to the sink and ran the water. Holding his hands under the cold liquid, Ruki decided he would wait until everyone had fell asleep before he would take his leave. It would simply seem as though he had left early.

Splashing the water onto his face, Ruki sighed heavily as he turned off the tap and reached for a towel. Taking a seat by the window, Ruki simply stared through the frosty glass. The out-side remained beautiful. Not hearing the knock against the door, Ruki jumped slightly as a voice filled the room. Turning to see Andromeda, Ruki allowed his head to fall against the glass; before turning back to the snow covered view and closing his eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back