Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Hello!

Several weeks ago, in the BWU, we alluded to some big 'sekretz' that were in the works. After a long time spent preparing these ‘sekretz,’ we are finally ready for the big reveal! ^_^ This is something that the site staff is extremely excited about, and I hope that you are all just as excited by the time you finish reading through everything.

Just as other aspects of the site have undergone transformations to make systems more efficient and make the site more enjoyable for RPers, we felt that it was high time for Quidditch to undergo such a transformation. While the old system, which was developed by HNZers of the past (Big thanks to all of them for their fine work! ), worked well for HNZ when it was first created, it was soon apparent to me, when I took over as quidditch ref and organizer, that the system was not working for HNZ today. It was time for an update, and, thanks to Nick’s awesome coding abilities and general brilliance, that is what we have been working on for the past several weeks. :) Our goal was to create a new way to play quidditch that would be simpler to understand and less focused on points and more focused on RPing. It sounds like a lot, right? Well, I’d like to introduce you all to HNZ’s brand new quidditch system. :cool:

One of the biggest and most exciting changes of the quidditch system is the elimination of the point system and the increased emphasis on roleplaying to carry the game. In the past, the point system worked out well enough because posts were frequent. Players had no choice but to allow themselves to be hit, to miss passes, and to allow goals to score because they knew that if they didn’t, they would be unable to score or pass during the last half of the game. Since taking over quidditch, however, I have seen a difference in the speed of the game and how it influences gameplay. Too often, because of the large gaps in posting, players were allowed to be perfect, never letting a goal slip away and never missing a target because it was rare to get so low in points that one would need to be conservative. In order to remedy this, the new quidditch system will randomize whether an action will succeed or fail with each action carrying its own odds of success. As a player posts his or her game move, he or she will have the choice to hit one of two buttons – one that has an action that could succeed or fail (e.g. scoring a goal, catching the snitch) and another a neutral action (e.g. flying, being active). The system will then tell you whether you have succeeded or failed and you will include that in your roleplay. Because of these changes, we expect that gameplay will be able to progress more quickly. And, games could end just as quickly too. Due to the randomizer, the snitch can be caught at any moment ( :o ), so other players will need to be sure they are doing their part to help their team before that happens. :correct:

Another exciting change and one of my favorite parts of the new system is that we are now able to reward participation and activity in games! This system is able to keep track of how active you are in games and will reward you by increasing your ability to help your team, even when your character is performing neutral actions. Even better is that the system will reward your character for their years of service to their House team. As a character ages and gains experience in quidditch playing, they will become a ‘better’ player by having their chance of success increasing.

As with any of the systems created on HNZ, the quidditch system comes with its own control panel, which will be used by quidditch captains to see various pieces of information essential to the game. It will also allow team members to see how they compare to people who have just started at their same position. So, if you’re interested in seeing the total quidditch system in action, you’ll have to be a member of a House team. :r Tryouts are up in case you were wondering. ;)

In addition to these changes, the rules have been overhauled as well, in an attempt to make them easier to understand. You can check them out for yourself by heading to the [member]quidditch rules[member] located in the quidditch pitch.

Much like with other site-wide plots, our activity and interest in sitting and brainstorming further developments for this, such as expanding this to professional quidditch, and for other areas of the site, such as developing a similar system for dueling ( :r ), is highly dependent on your activity in the currently existing site-wide plots. The more you participate, the more eager we are to think up further ways to develop ideas. ^_^ This quidditch system is very much a work in progress, but we’ll need each and every one of you who is willing to participate to join in so that we can see what works well and what needs tweaking. For the next while, we’ll be monitoring the system and making changes as needed so that this new system can run in the best possible way.

I am super excited about this new system, and I hope that you are too! Feel free to leave your comments, questions and concerns here.

~Cyndi
(on behalf of the site staff)

I reallly reallyyyyyy like this new Quidditch stuff. The points tended to be a huge hassle at times, so removing them makes it so much easier to relax and enjoy playing the game! I also like the idea of incorporating a randomizer onto the site too. It kind of makes the whole game a surprise. You literally never know what's going to happen in the game!

I like it a lot. Great work on these ideas! I really hope to see more people trying out this year so we can give this new system a shot! :o

Seems fun!!!

I really look forward to trying this out... People better try out for teams this year... xD We really have to give this system a shot!!

OMG! I totally love this idea! You guys are such Geniuses! I honestly don't know of any other sites that have this level of accommodation from the Admins! I can't believe you were able to think up a way to do this. Brilliant! Completely and Utterly Brilliant! Big :hug: from me!

This is wonderful! Lilith herself isn't really a big fan of quidditch, but this system's so awesome that I'm going to make her go for the tryouts anyway! Sadly, she's still a Year One...

Wow that sounds like a really good idea and I am sure it will be a great system. can I please send Briar back to school to rejoin the Gryffindor team if they are short of players this year? she was always one to do a lot of posts in quidditch.

Cyndi has been awesome at trying to keep Quidditch alive on the site (if it were me I'd have let it go the way of the TWT... :r ) and I hope this system sees lots of use as it makes playing Quidditch a lot more simple and also makes moderating it that much easier, too.

Like is said in the announcement, though, it is a work in progress. It can expand to meet our needs and there are additional features it could have if they'd be useful. Unfortunately, however, this is the type of thing that can't be fully felt out until it's tried - and hopefully it gets plenty of use so we can get a sense of how it works and rebalance it if needed (by adjusting odds for certain actions, etc.).

Sounds awesome I almost wanna get a student to play now!

I looooooove this whole idea! Quidditch was such a challenge back when Lily was in school (can we say sleepless nights and total stress! lol). This overhaul was long needed and it looks like it will be awesome!!

Oh this is so exciting!!! I'm definitely going to get Sarah to try out for Quidditch as soon as possible so I can do this!!! Thanks guys! I love it! :hug:

Archived

This topic can no longer be considered 'news' but should rather be called 'olds'. It has thusly been archived.
If you have any questions or concerns involving this [former] news, please contact an administrator and keep looking for newer 'news' in the News and Updates forum.

Thank you,
~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back