Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Noel
Wand
Vine Wand, 12 3/4", Dragon Heartstring Core
Adorah had been very interested in astronomy ever since her first year, but it probably wasn't until two years ago that she had seriously considered it as a career. She knew that actually deciding a career at 15 was kind of crazy, but being prepared to take the needed steps forward to be successful was something she at least wanted to plan for. The Ravenclaw thought the best person to talk to would be Professor Harrington, someone she had admired but never really spoken about her aspirations with. Adorah had been rather intimidated by most of her professors until recently when she realized that they obviously thought something of her to give her the prefect position. She knocked on the office door. "Professor?" she called gently.

Sarah was as always looking over the papers and charts of her students as she sipped on some tea during her open office hours. It was rare for a student to stop by this early in the semester so she thought it was best to work on sorting through and making a list of the first year's favorite snacks to have them ordered for later in the semester. She was thinking about one that seemed a bit strange when a knock on the door alerted her to Adorah Zumwalt standing there. Smiling Sarah stood up and waved the young Ravenclaw in. "Yes, Adorah, is there something I can help you with?" She asked wondering why the young Prefect decided to stop by today.

Adorah gave Professor Harrington a smile as she stepped through the door. Recalling her school girl crush everytime she looked at the astronomy teacher, she wondered how much that had impacted her intended career path. Having recently gotten into writing and the whole connection with Nadia, there was a part of her that was considering a different route. But it didn't hurt to talk things out. "Hi. I just wanted to chat. About after Hogwarts. Umm, you know, careers? I'm not sure if I want to go into astronomy, but it seems like something I'm really interested in. And I know that you can be a professor but I was also wondering what else might be an option. Even if it is not doing astronomy all the time." Adorah felt like she had just vomited a lot of things at once that didn't make sense. She had rehearsed what she wanted to say, but she had obviously not practiced enough. "Sorry, I just want to kind of have my ducks in row before graduating. Which I know is while away. But, you know..."

Sarah was used to students around Adorah's age coming in from time to time asking about their future career choices. She had a feeling the girl would end up in Astronomy at some point in her life. She sat down as the Ravenclaw rambled slightly and waved her wand silently to the side while focusing on the young teen. "Would you like some tea, Adorah?" As the girl trailed off looking a bit worried. Sarah always kept a variety of options, a lot of them including ingredients to help soothe the body, mind and soul. "I always find it best to think about the future while looking in to the past, shame that it is still before sunset well, a simple spell will always cure that," Sarah said waving her wand and whispering a spell under her breathe as the night sky appeared around them. "What is it that draws you to the stars?" She asked as the tea kettle poured her a fresh cup.

Adorah nodded when offered some tea. "If you have anything with lavender, that would be lovely," she said, feeling a little more comfortable at the thought of holding something in her hands. Her anxious mind barely had a moment before the room was filled with stars. She looked around, still amazed by magic even five years later. She wasn't sure that feeling would ever go away. The question seemed easy enough to answer but also difficult. Adorah had been drawn to the subject because of how uncertain her home life had been at the time, and while it was still on the rocks, that wasn't the reason she had stuck with it. "I think I enjoy it because it's everchanging and is almost omnipotent." She wasn't sure if that was the correct usage of the word, but it was how she felt. Adorah didn't believe in one higher power, persay, but the universe itself seemed to provide an energy for all living beings to use, and she admired that quality.

Sarah did have tea with lavender and chamomile she picked the bag out and placed it in a cup which then floated over to the kettle which poured in hot water. "There's cream and sugar as well," Sarah said smiling towards the teen. She was glad to see the wonder on Adorah's face as she casted the magical nighttime sky above them. It was one of her favorite spells, she had originally learned it to cast above her daughters' beds to help them both sleep at night as children, worked wonders as a night light for them. "It's nice to hear you say that, some find it to be stale and never changing, but you're right," Sarah said as she looked over the sky above them. Looking back at Adorah, Sarah couldn't help but feel pride that the girl was thinking of Astronomy. "So, for future careers, there are many possibilities. The most obvious would be an Astronomer, this could be for a private company or for the ministry in some regard, to go that route you'd need to find someone to apprentice under, almost as if in the muggle realm you were going to university in a sense, or rather going to a trade school I suppose. I think most things you could do with Astronomy would require that, Meteorologist, Meteoricist, Planetarium worker or future director, you can watch the night sky to note changes and make predictions as the centaurs do about the world. And of course, Professorship at a school, and I do happen to know of at least one Professor getting on in their years over at the American school, however, hardly ever would a freshly graduated student come upon to be a Professor, maybe a private homeschool teacher. Training as an Astronomer will take quite a few years after school to be even the slightest bit ready to teach," Sarah said not intending to scare the girl off from her own profession but give her the truth having seen many young teachers come and go in the other fields at the school.

Adorah preferred her tea black and thanked Professor Harrington as she took her mug. As the woman explained different opportunities, Adorah tried not to focus on the beauty around her. She wondered how hard the spell was, as she could see herself casting it before going to bed in the evening. The Ravenclaw didn't really think of herself as a teacher; while the prefect promotion had definitely challenged her to be use her voice, she couldn't imagine teaching hoards of students. "Wow, that's a lot to think about," she started as she took another sip of her tea. "Did you know you wanted to be a professor right out of Hogwarts?" she asked curiously, hoping that she wasn't the only sixteen year old who didn't know what she wanted to do.

Sarah thought back to having similar conversations with her own daughters not too long ago, though neither were considering Astronomy for their own future. "It is a lot, but try to not worry about it every day and every second," Sarah said with a smile to her young student. She couldn't believe how much time had passed since she had graduated from school. This September and new year would mark her 53rd birthday and sometimes it felt as though no time had passed, until she looked at her daughters, one off in the world already and the other about to graduate next year. "I did not, I actually was mostly interested in Muggle Studies and better helping witches and wizards to understand them, as I am Muggleborn myself. I worked for a time with an Astronomer, it had been my best subject at school and one I enjoyed the most while also volunteering for an activist group. After awhile I grew tired of my boss and followed my mother's wishes and attended a muggle university here and got my teaching license, I taught at a muggle elementary school for a long time after that, eventually having my two daughters and when the job posting at Hogwarts came up just a year or two before my eldest was set to attend I applied, to be Muggle Studies Professor," Sarah said with a laugh remembering all the hard work and dedication she put into her applications and interviews with the staff here only to have been beaten by another for the position. "They picked another but were impressed with my background in Astronomy and offered me the tower, and I have to say there was no way I could say no after getting the tour of this tower," she said with a smile looking around her office room. High above the school looking down at the world is what it felt like. "For now Adorah, dream about being an Astronomer, where that will lead you to, is unclear until you're there, the ending might surprise you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back