Rumour Mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddy Cameron

OOC First Name
Summer
Wand
Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather
I was just thinking, there is always some sort of rumour going around Hogwarts with all of the drama that happens with the students. I figured there should probably be a place, a topic, where people could post what rumors they are involved with and if they would be school wide or who would've been told. Even for the world outside of hogwarts, the scandals withing social groups could be posted there as well.

What do you think?

I think the gossip periodical that Hogwarts had for a while served this function pretty well, although those rumours were largely generated by one individual and were fairly niche in their scope.
I don't see a problem with a topic for Hogwarts happenings/rumours to be going around the school in the "On-Topic" board or even in the plot/storyline development area - and if it was pinned, it could be done in a way similar to how Amanda does the character play-by list (where it is one topic, open, but pinned and people PM her a form and she keeps the topic up to date). Somebody would have to volunteer to keep up with the topic (removing rumours/gossip that should no longer be used in topics and consistently inserting the new information).
If the topic fell out of order, or wasn't used, then it would just disappear and things would go back to normal - but I have no problem letting it be tried. =]
I would also want to go over with whoever sets it up what sorts of rumours wouldn't be added to this list because they allude to things needing admin approval or whatever.

I think it would work well if it was the same as the playby list. Perhaps in sections so the older gossip is still there, in case anyone wants to see it, but in a spoiler so it isn't confusing.

I'd be happy to set it up and maintain it if you like the idea. I was thinking mainly just the gossip and scandals (ie, that person cheated on that person with that person kind of stuff) but if anything sounded overly large it would have to be checked that it was approved.

If that makes sense.

I personally like this idea and would be very interested in this because it's hard to know what you are supposed to know IC versus what you know OOC (as we were talking about via skype).

I'd be willing to do this, too ;)

I really like the idea. Bring on the rumors!

I love this idea! I have seen a similar thing done on other sites, and have always thought it would be great fun to try out. If a rumour needed admin approval, and it was granted, could the rumour then be posted in said forum, if it had the approval ID# next to it?

Love this idea :)
Plus, I'd totally be keen to help :)
It would be a cool way to spread rumors, and for people to get to know things about another person without actually meeting them. The more I think about this idea, the more I like it ^_^

I actually think this is a pretty neat idea. ^_^ It would be great to have a way to keep track at a glance of what charries are doing.

My only concern would be in making sure that it was maintained properly because I could see it becoming a huge mess of outdated information otherwise, but it seems that there are a few volunteers to keep track of it already. ^_^

I think this is a really good idea :) I know i technically haven't been on the site as a character for a while, but i would be more than willing to help ^_^

This is a really neat idea :D

An archvive system would be really helpful to store all the old gossip from prehaps the previous year. Were you thinking of having everyone just post in one thread or have different threads for each school (i would prefer this) As it would be easy to just skim through what students in the different schools are doing instead of trying to go through all the different posts in one thread to find things :)

I'd be happy to help in anyway with this and keeping it updated and organized.

I too like this idea. ^_^
I would also like to add in something, like if someone doesn't want a rumor spread about their character, then yeah. Or just ask for permission and all

Or fill out a form, give it to whomever is in charge and have it posted so it won't be so jumbled up.

That's a good idea! Perhaps maybe you could make a gossip column for a monthly school newspaper or something? Or perhaps and individual student gather the gossip or rumors and creating the column that way? Or perhaps even your own little 'gossippaper'?

Would this not be hard to maintain?
I think the best way to do it would be for everyone to PM their bits of gossip to a special account, and then once a month that account (Gossip Monger or something?) would post it all in a thread in the On Topic section. But that's just what I've seen work on other sites, don't know about HNZ.

I thought it could be just people PM the person running it with what they want to be gossip with who is supposed to know the gossip (All Hufflepuffs, Durmstrang boys, pureblood society etc.) with how long they think it would be gossip for and it's all put up in a topic then, after it's obsolete it's either deleted or put in a sort of archive so people can see past gossip.

Whoever takes the lead on this can just start the topic.
I'll look it over and then have it pinned if it seems like a good setup. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back