Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Sturdy Beech Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
T H E H O G W A R T S M O N T H L Y: Y E A R 2 6 I S S U E 1

tumblr_ni2360LRar1slcvaio9_500.gif
</COLOR></FONT>
A N O T H E R Y E A R H A S B E G U N
</SIZE></SIZE>
A​
nother year has begun and it looks to be as jam-packed as those previous. Already we’ve seen pranks with paint, mass slimings and new students trying to figure out their passwords in order to get into their common rooms. As a past transfer myself, I’d like to give a warm welcome to everyone that’s joined our school a little belated! I hope you find yourself growing as accustomed to these halls as I have. As for all the new first years that have (hopefully) become accustomed to life here at Hogwarts, I hope you’re going just as well, and avoiding the wrath of our resident poltergeist, as well as the professors. I don’t really have any predictions for this years house cup, although my predecessor seems to have a talent for picking the right house (three times in a row no doubt), but hopefully Ravenclaw can snag another win. I know I’ll be doing my best to help out.

Holidays are done and dusted, but that doesn’t mean the fun has been replaced with classes. We had our yearly Club Fair! I had a great time promoting Hogwarts Monthly with the other clubs and members of HM, and I hope you all found some interesting clubs that have piqued your interest. Go on and join them! It costs you nothing but a few hours of your time, and they can be the places where you find the best of friends and be a haven from the monotony of school life. We have the Wild Patch for anyone who has an interest in plant life and for standing up for what you believe in. Heta Omega for the ladies who want to hang out with other witches, and the Brotherhood for us wizards. Of course we’ve got the Student Defence Association, if you’ve got an inclination towards duelling, or even just learning about spells and protecting yourself. There’s always Quidditch for the more athletically inclined, and if you’re interested in some writing, you can always check us out at Hogwarts Monthly.

With a new year comes new prefects! This year for Hufflepuff, Professor Stark has chosen Soren Sedridor and Lydia Archer to become Hufflepuff prefects, and we’re sure they will do well. Soren’s a little quiet from what I hear, but they’re both hard working, kind individuals that really exemplify the Hufflepuff Spirit. Over in Slytherin, Professor Styx has chosen Alana Finch and Saveli Matveev as his prefects, and we’re sure that both ladies will do their house proud at this promotion. In Ravenclaw, Professor Spenser has chosen Venn Asiah Boneheart and Felix Warrick as the new Ravenclaw prefects. I don’t know much about these guys, but I’m sure they’ll certainly had a bit of flavour to this year’s proceedings. Gryffindor also has two new female prefects, Alexis Bennet and Dina Stanley, who will hopefully be as successful in their careers as our current head boy and girl, who happen to be Gryffindor’s themselves - Victoire Fontaine and Jean Snow. Congratulations to all for your promotions! Well deserved as always, and good luck.
Author: Massimiliano Moretti​
<i>
</i>

H O G W A R T S M O N T H L Y ' S T O P T E N P L A C E S T O S T U D Y

eP7Y2mb.gif
With finals right around the corner, students have to start hitting the books soon if they want to achieve that O and win their House points. However, studying in your room is almost guaranteed to make you fall asleep in your bed, and some people would rather drop dead than step foot in the library. But have no fear, whether you're a social studier or need complete silence, we've got you covered. Here is a list of the top 10 places to study at Hogwarts that have nothing to do with dusty libraries!

The North Tower
If you're not a Ravenclaw chances are you hardly visit the towers, because they're so far and high up, which is exactly why it makes a perfect study spot. You get to experience the feeling of being outdoors with a nice breeze, yet don't have to actually sit around nature, if bugs and grass aren't your thing.

The Common Room
If you're the type that can't stand a quiet room, this may be the place for you. It is comfortable enough because you are in this room daily, yet still offers a different scenery than your dorm room so you can study. The busyness of this room will keep you awake enough not to fall asleep while studying. Just make sure you don't get too distracted by your surroundings.

The Cliffs
This mostly isolated area is great if you prefer to study alone. It's quiet and away from everything so you won't hear anything to distract you and best of all, there's a great view. Just make sure to bring something to hold your notes down otherwise they'll fly away by the strong wind - no O is worth risking your life trying to climb down those cliffs for your notes.

The Trophy Room
Okay hear me out - no one actually visits this room on a regular basis, so the chances of you being alone are pretty high. Sure there are no seats but just pop a squat and get settled on the floor. Plus, the view of all the trophies may have you inspired to win "Top Points Earner" for your House, or at least help your House win the Cup with your stellar grades!

The Quidditch Stands
Aside from the games, these stands are rarely ever occupied and there are plenty of them all around the Quidditch Pitch so you have the option of spacing yourself far apart from others if there happens to be anyone there. The stands work for both types of studiers: group parties, who can occupy a stand to themselves and chat away without bothering neighbors; or solo studiers who can sit at a stand far away all by themselves with only the air around them.

An Abandoned Classroom
Need I say more? It's perfect for studying spells and charms or hexes. It has desks and chairs if you need them, a chalkboard if you're a visual learner and need to write things down, and a confined space for your spells not to go awry.

The Lakefront
If you're meeting a study group for a class, why not enjoy a nice view outdoors while the weather gets warmer for the summer and study at the lakefront. You'll be in a group so your chatting back and forth (about notes!) won't bother anyone outside.

The Garden
While we're talking about views, what about the Garden - now that is a view! The place is enchanted to make any visitors feel instantly more at ease, so any exam jitters go away, and the quiet sereneness of the fountain is a soothing comfort in the background. You'll definitely feel more ready to take on any test after studying here.

The Student Lounge
Fool people into thinking you're going to the library and then stop by the Student Lounge instead! This place is good for you to get some work done without risking dying from lack of social interaction, if you're a social butterfly. Just make sure you get the chairs closest to the fire for maximum comfort and hunker down for a long night of studying. The longer you stay the more your social quota for the day will be met and the later it gets, the emptier the lounge gets, allowing you more time to focus on your homework. It's the best of both worlds.

Great Hall
This is the best place when you need an emergency study session (aka you forgot the exam was the next day). Although the benches might not be the most comfortable to sit on all night long, it is this lack of comfort that will keep you awake and fidgety all night when you need to cram! Plus, you'll have sustenance to keep you going!

Luckily the castle is large enough for each spot not to be too overcrowded to get your studying done, all while maintaining your record of never stepping foot in a library. Now go out there and ace those finals!
Author: Lennon Cohen-Knight​
<i>
</i>
S T U D E N T S P O T L I G H T

VTgd0RZ.gif
I​
was lucky enough to catch the very busy Head Boy for an interview.
Riven Faye: "Hi there Jean, I'm here with the Hogwarts Monthly, do you have a spare moment?"
Jean Snow: "Uh yea, I guess. But only if it's really a moment because I've got practice to get to and some other stuff."
Riven: "Of course, of course. I wanted to congratulate you for your position. What was your feeling when you found out?"
Jean: -laughs- "Thanks. Um, honestly, I was kind of surprised that the owl was sent to me and not my brother. He was too." -smirks-
Riven: "Did you both think that he would become Head Boy?"
Jean: "That's what I just said."
Riven: "What made you both so sure that he would get it over anyone else in the school?"
Jean: -frowns- "Is this an interview about me...or my brother? I don't know. Let's just say I'm used to my brother trying to one-up me. -Laughs- But not this time."
Riven: "I see. So being the Head Boy and Quidditch captain seems like a lot of responsibility. Are you sure you will be able to handle all of it?"
Jean: "Yea, it can't be that difficult. Other Head students have done it before."
Riven: "And would there be any room in your life for romance? There are a few rumors going around about your availability."
Jean: "Yea? What are people saying?"
Riven: "Well, there is always speculation about the Head Boy and Girl, especially those that hang out a lot together. Would you like to put any rumors to rest?"
Jean: "Nope. I don't listen to rumors and I don't talk about my relationships. How many more questions did you say you had?"
Riven: "That's interesting, you did just ask what people were saying. But fair enough, I guess people can make their own conclusions. One final question, do you have any exciting plans once your schooling years are over?"
Jean: "Yep. I plan on playing pro Quidditch. I've already had a couple of offers and no I won't tell you where, but yea. That's what I'll be doing."
Riven: "Well, this has certainly been a riveting interview. Thank-you for your time, Jean."
Jean: "Uh, sure. You're welcome."​
Author: Riven Faye​
[tr][td]

<COLOR color="#000">H O R O S C O P E S​
<i>
</i>
<SIZE size="150"><SIZE size="150"><FONT font="Georgia">A​
ries: This academic year has been full of surprises, Aries, nothing has gone quite according to the plan you had, whether it's been positive or negative, nothing is quite going like you thought it would. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, change is occurring around you and you just need to let yourself fall into it, or even just start pushing towards the change you want. Let things happen Aries, and actively pursue the things that you want, let your friends guide you on the path of change, and in turn help yourself and your friends towards the goal of the destruction of capitalism, which in the end is a change to be pushed for, now is the time to join the cause.

Taurus: With the most recent bought of success that you have been feeling, it seems only prudent that you take full advantage Taurus, but be aware, the placement of the stars predicts unsteady times ahead, they predict a looming darkness, this might help you decide who your real friends are, don't be afraid to make new friends even as darkness looms, the future can be changed, they might prove as loyal as your other friends and aid you in ways you didn't expect. But, the unpredictability of the times facing you are no different than the unpredictability of capitalism in general which could in the end negatively impact your life, Taurus now is the time to join the movement against capitalism and the time to join the just fight.

Gemini: Gemini, it is always good when things work out the way you want it, the friends you have have been helping you in achieving your goals, you have the support of your family as you take each new opportunity and turn it into something equally as good, don't ever forget about this loyalty shown to you. This goodness in your life is set to last for now, so you should keep grabbing each opportunity that you can, it will continue to give you fruitful results, but it'll all be pointless in the long run if we don't have a planet to live on because of the careless and destructive nature of capitalism, now is the time to join the movement, it will provide you with all the opportunities you could ever want Gemini.

Cancer: Weathering the storm Cancer? With friends leaving left, right and centre, you've begun isolating yourself from others in general, waiting for this to end, but this isn't going to help anything, you need to continue focusing on your classes, and taking any opportunities that arise, whether that be in joining new clubs or helping out in certain sections of the school, these will give you new situations to be a part of, and provide you with more friends. Don't hate those friends who have in that time turned against you, the school and capitalist machine requires us to be odds with one another to compete to be the best, we should join together, working in unity playing to our strengths towards overthrowing capitalism and in it's place putting a fair and equal society, now Cancer is the time to join the cause.

Leo: Academically Leo you've been doing far better than previously, the extra work you've been putting in has really paying off, you are seeing the results in the essay marks that you've gotten back, even if it's just a tiny difference. You've been happier and more satisfied and this all good, enjoy this feeling, keep doing what you are doing and you'll see more and more results, whether it be in new love, or in new friendships or grades, things will improve if you put the work in. However in all this remember that some are not as lucky as you are Leo, there are some within this world still suffering for instance the injustice of forced or arranged marriages, while you are doing well, remember those less fortunate facing different and difficult situations, join the cause and help fight for those who can't, help bring down the system in which we live.

Virgo: Virgo has always been a strong sign, and now more than usual, it's strength crossing over to those born under it, and despite all the bad things that life's been throwing at you, you are still standing strong even though it can feel exceedingly hard. You've continued to push through life, discovering those strong friendships that have definitely helped you feel better about how things are going. Just keep going Virgo, your strength will help you greatly, but remember to not just use this strength to push forward your own agenda, help push for change for all, push for the world to change into a better place, it'll help you and give you new opportunities to improve your life and give you the possibility for new friendships, now Virgo is the time to put the strength to the good of humanity in the fight against capitalism.

Libra: Balance is the way forward for Libra, balance between life and school, your social life demands your time but then so does your schooling, and balancing the two can prove to be hard. You want to have relatively good grades or what you believe to be good grades, but you also want to be able to have fun with friends, to spend time with your other half. Balance can be hard to strike, it can be hard to achieve and at times you aren't sure if you are managing at all, but Libra this is all pointless, there is no balance between friends and school, or any balance that might exist is going to be a lot of work. If we lived in a system which placed less importance in just academic achievement a balance would be far easier to achieve and even at that, it's all pointless if we continue to sit idly by as capitalism continues to wreck havoc on our planet. Rather than striking a balance you should join the cause, join the fight against capitalism and reckless endangerment of the planet.

Scorpio: Things have been good for Scorpio hasn't it, you've had a lot of success, and things never seem to be relenting, you've been given so many opportunities lately and you've been doing as many as you can hoping to find the right thing which suits you. It has meant an ever increasing work load and you've been keeping on top of that, but at the expense of the people around you, remember your friendships and those you care about and who care about you. In all these opportunities, you'll easily get so busy that you'll lose sight of what's really important in life, whether it be the fight for equal rights for werewolves, or the against the poor treatment of muggleborn witches or wizards, all this success means nothing if the plight of the oppressed still exists. Join the cause, take that opportunity to be a part of the fight back.

Sagittarius: This is going to be good to hear, all the bad in your life Sagittarius will come to a slow stop, the unrelenting pace of life has been difficult to cope with and you easily feel overwhelmed by life, but this is not a bad thing, the strength of your character is tested, and through it all your family has provided you with the strength you need, you need only take it. Now is time to try to expand yourself, try to make a few new friends, and now is as good a time as any to remember that the fight against capitalism will impact all sections of life, freeing all those oppressed. It will fight against any kind of injustice and provide with new opportunities and friends. Sagittarius now is as good a time as any to wake up and realise that capitalism does not benefit the people, and now is the time to join the fight.

Capricorn: There is a lot of fighting going on in your life right now Capricorn, whether it be those around you, or internally, lately you've just been at odds with everyone, and you really fear if this continues that you'll end up in a fight against Professor Styx (which from personal experience does not end well). Capricorn it's stress, you are stressed, and the best way to combat stress is to be open to new opportunities, go to a rally, shout about something and get out all that stress, it'll make you feel so much better and provide you with a stress release that'll help stop the fighting in your life, and let's not forget the bigger fight in this life against capitalism that you should be focusing on. Join the cause, shout about something that matters and shake this stress.

Aquarius: Aquarius you've been drifting in life, it's been a quiet time and for the most part you are just going through the motions of life, doing what's necessary to survive but doing little else to help yourself in life. Things have been drifting in and out and your friends have remained the same, but nothing is happening. It can feel a little disheartening, but drifting through life isn't going to achieve anything, you have to stand up and just take what you want, reach for those opportunities and achieve what you want, whether this be just talking to someone new from a different house, or taking a new class, reading a new book. Even more importantly joining the fight against capitalism and the destruction of the planet will help bring something new to your life, it'll bring exactly what you need, it'll provide with opportunities and people with whom to spend this time with. Join the fight back, Aquarius.

Pisces: Reaching the end of your rope Pisces, a boiling anger in you, friends just not paying attention to you? This is all a tricky time and you feel trapped, but the best thing to do is to focus on those studies which you've been neglecting for the time being, it's time to sit with the books and spend a little more time reading. The anger you feel is allowed to be felt, just ensure that it doesn't blow up in the wrong ways, keeping active and doing new things can help this, whether this be joining a new club, like the SDA, or joining the cause and venting all the anger you feel towards a just cause in the fight against capitalism and freedom for the oppressed. Now is the time to join up and realise the inequalities in the world Pisces, and vent the frustration you feel towards them.​
Author: Orwell Brocken​
<i>
</i><i></i>
[/td][/tr]

Editor's note: This year has been one of change for many, and Hogwarts Monthly is no different. With our usual editor, Ellington Hayes currently unable to be with us right now, I would like to give a warm thank you to the other members of Hogwarts Monthly that not only welcomed me stepping in to get this running, but also made it easy for me to do so. You did really well this issue, guys, and we even had one of our interns stepping forward and taking up more responsibility with his first article! Good work, Lennon. Cheers to everyone and good luck on your exams!
Massimiliano 'Max' Moretti
Hogwarts Monthly Co-Editor
<i>
</i>

Victoire smiled slightly as a hogwarts monthly landed beside her, she had never wanted to work with the group, she had never really seen herself as a writer, though she enjoyed reading, and therefore while she didn't take part, always looked forward to reading, aside from when it, much like the hopefully permanently dead RHI, decided to make any hints towards herself and Jean being anything near an item. As Victoire quietly munched on some fruit, she continued reading, and the general set up followed the same path, thankfully no mention of anything other than her being head girl, and then she got to the star signs, which had since the last person left the school, gotten more than a little weird, they were ridiculous, someone had approved them to go to print, every single one seemed to follow a pattern and she couldn't believe it. Victoire was still laughing a little about it as she finished off what she was eating and headed out the great hall, so that she could complete a few head girl tasks before studying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back