OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
While Miles appreciated the finer things in life, he didn't often indulge himself with new clothing. He enjoyed taking good care of the pieces he had, and occasionally trying a new combination he hadn't put together yet. He was rarely adventurous in his choices, but today he was in the mood to buy something new to enhance is wardrobe. He'd spent some time looking around a nice vintage store he often visited, which always had delightful things he could appreciate. Miles had stopped in front of a bow tie, it was a dark blue which was a color he didn't often favor, but it was beautifully decorated with little stars, showing the constellations. Neither astronomy nor astrology were really Miles' forte, but he had more than a passing interest in both. And it would just look nice, he thought. But was it too wild? Too out there? he couldn't help but think Zelda would approve of it, which made him doubt it was suited for him. He sighed, moving a little to the side to observe it from a different angle, as if that would help him make a decision.

Monty didn't need another bow-tie. He had plenty stowed away in a bottom drawer somewhere that rarely saw the light of day, favouring a cravat during all but the hottest months. But none of them were quite like this one: a beautiful dark blue and speckled with constellations. Monty had excelled in Astronomy but retained very little of what he'd learned. His interest in the stars had dwindled when he'd realised they had no interest in him - which sounded very immature now, but it had made sense at the time. Still, Orion had a special place in his heart. His mother remembered those summer evenings in the garden, too, lying on a blanket under the star-clustered sky, naming constellations. She had named her Golden Retriever Orion because it had always been Monty's favourite.

Of course, Orion just so happened to feature on the front of the bow-tie. He stood there holding it for some time - for so long, in fact, that the shopkeeper started to eye him up suspiciously. He put it back on the shelf and left in a hurry. He had some more shopping to do; if he still wanted it in an hour's time, he decided, he would come back for it.

Two hours later, he returned. The shopkeeper remembered him and cast an odd look in his direction. Monty dodged it and squeezed past two cabinets full of old watches and coins to where he'd left the bow-tie. It was a good thing he moved carefully in antique shops, or else he might have ploughed straight into the back of another man who was standing in the very spot he'd stood for so long earlier that day. His heart fell. Of course somebody else would spot it. He should have bought it while he'd had the chance. Well, he had to respect the gentleman's taste, anyway. "It's lovely, isn't it?" Monty said, trying to keep the wistfulness from creeping into his voice. He wasn't trying to guilt-trip anybody into letting him have it. It was his fault for walking away.

It took Miles a second to realize that the person who was speaking was speaking to him. He turned to see another man, someone who seemed to have a somewhat similar taste to Miles himself, as he also seemed interested in the bow tie. Miles smiled a little self consciously, smoothing down his jacket as he stood up a bit straighter. "It is rather lovely, yes." He told the unfamiliar person. "But I'm a little concerned it's a tad... flashy for me." He admitted, smiling a little self-consciously. "Is it a piece you're interested in as well?" He then asked, looking at the gentleman's clothing. It did seem to suit him, perhaps better than it suited Miles. But he was a little sad at the idea of giving it up too. He rather hoped the other man would take the choice away from him. It might be a little sad if he picked it to buy, but at least he wouldn't have to make the decision to give it up then.

Flashiness had never put Monty off an item of clothing, but he understood. "Oh, no," he said automatically. "Well - I was thinking about it. But really, it's all right. I'm sure I'd never wear it; it's probably for the best." It was true. It would probably gather dust with the rest of his bow ties. He would have been selfish to buy it, even if this gentleman hadn't been interested in it as well. "You should get it. I bet it would suit you," Monty said, and quickly turned and pretended to be browsing a nearby shelf.

Miles nervously adjusted his own bow tie. He rarely spoke to any gentlemen with a similar taste in fashion to his, though he did notice the other man was probably a bit more daring. Really, the bow tie would suit him much better. "Oh, no, please don't change your mind on my account." He said hurriedly. "I was already leaning towards not buying it. It is more something I can admire aesthetically, rather than wear it. I'm afraid it would just collect dust in my closet, I tend to go for the safer options." He said with a small laugh. He took a step back, decisively. "I'll go see what else the store has to offer. I do adore the selection here. Do you come here often as well?" He wasn't the best at making conversation, but he didn't only want to talk about the bow tie. Miles had the distinct impression they both wanted to be polite so badly that neither of them would buy it in the end, unless he could perhaps make the other gentleman really believe Miles was no longer interested.

"Honestly," Monty said, "I don't want it. In fact I was just thinking the very same thing. Well - perhaps neither of us ought to have it." He chuckled and stepped aside to give the man room. "Oh, occasionally. I'm afraid I'd buy the whole shop if I came too frequently. Have you been upstairs? They're having a sale on furniture at the moment; there are some beautiful Victorian cabinets up there."

Miles chuckled nervously. "Seems like it will remain here for a braver soul." He said, though there was a certain wistfulness in his voice. He smiled when the man said he might buy the whole shop if he came too frequently, shaking his head a little. "I'm ashamed to admit I've already made a valiant effort." He said with a small laugh. Then he looked almost pained. "I have been avoiding the upstairs for that very reason, my house is already awfully cluttered..." He hesitated, the temptation of the Victorian cabinets too much to bear. Miles bit his lip for a moment as he considered, then gave the other man a wide smile. "Oh, why not. Could you show me the way?"

Monty had a suspicion that between the two of them, they wouldn't be leaving the shop without the bow tie. Already he was beginning to regret stating so boldly that he didn't want it. He'd never seen one like it before and was sure he'd never see another again. Monty laughed, picturing the man's house and coming up with an image not altogether far from his own. "Yes - I was about to go up for another look myself. Mind that vase," he added, nervous the gentleman was about to knock it with his coat as he turned. Leading the way through the narrow shop and up the stairs, Monty said, "I warn you, I'm a terrible influence. They really ought to hire me as a sales assistant - I'm doing free labour." He reached the top of the stairs and gestured into the cramped room. "After you."

Miles was trying not to be charmed by this stranger, but he couldn't deny that he thought he was rather interesting. He would not tell Zelda about this, as he knew his friend would blow it out of proportion immediately. It wouldn't surprise him if she would start planning a wedding. A horribly gaudy wedding. "Oh, thank you." He said as the other gentleman told him to mind the vase. He would have been very embarrassed had he knocked that over. He laughed softly as he followed the man upstairs. "Well, you're in luck, I'm terribly easily influenced." He joked back. He headed into the room before the other man and sighed at the very first piece of furniture he saw. "Oh dear. That would look delightful in my office..." He said, admiring the beautiful cabinet.

Monty grinned as the man made a beeline for the very same cabinet he had been admiring a few hours ago. They certainly had a similar sense of taste. "I know. It's absolutely beautiful," Monty said, a little wistfully. He certainly had no room in his office - neither at home or at school - for another bulky piece of furniture, but this particular cabinet, with its dark knotted wood, plush interior, and pillars topped with Corinthian capitals, was almost worth throwing something away for. "I think it's walnut wood. It's in excellent condition. Some minor wear on the corner, there, but when you consider its age... God, I'm talking myself into buying it."

Miles could not take his eyes off the cabinet, and smiled as the other gentleman explained a bit more about it. As he said he was talking himself into buying it, Miles let out a small gasp and turned to him. "Don't you dare." He said, shaking his head. "You will have to fight me for it, which will be a rather miserable and embarrassing experience for me, I can assure you." He said, smiling a little. "So please don't subject me to that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back