Pungahn

Pungahn Naihanchi

Pungahn dropped her school trunk the second it was in place at the foot of her bed. already in her muggle clothes, she pulled off her sneakers and put on her worn out boots. she also exchanged her nice looking t-shirt for a worn out horse themed one. she bolted down the stairs, but was stopped by her mother. she was holding something behind her back.

"which hand?"she asked.

"left," Pungahn said.

her mother put out her left hand to revel a brand new horse bridle. "you get to check out the newest member of our barn today." she held out her other hand to reveal a more worn out bridle. "then i guess i get Sand." sand was the biggest horse they had in their barn. he was the fastest one and whenever they had a need for speed they would saddle him up.

"so who is our new arrival?" Pungahn asked as they walked out the door and towards the barn.

"his name is Grain. I got him from the auction. he was going to be sold for meat because he was so week from malnutrition, but i saw the shine in his eyes and Knew."

Pungahn smiled. when her mother said she 'Knew,' it meant she knew their full potential and what they could become with training and care. They reached the barn and Pungahn was lead to the last stall. "this is Grain." she said and walked out the horse from the stall, tying him in the isle to be groomed. Pungahn looked him over. though still malnourished, Grain was gaining weight and muscle fast, considering it had only been a month or two since his arrival. he was a paint colored horse with splashes of black patches on white. he had a beautiful white face and was an average height horse. Her mother spoke again as she brought out her mount. "he is being trained as a jumper and is very good at it to begin with."

Pungahn walked around to the front of him and gave him a horse treat. "hello, Grain. can you show me what a good horse my mother is making you and behave on our ride today?" Grain gave a whimpering horse noise and Pungahn took that to mean yes. she gave him a pat on the neck and groomed him so he was spotless. Pungahn and her mother put on their saddles and bridles and lead them out into the arena. with a last minute check they mounted.

Pungahn was confused for a moment, now that she was back on a horse instead of a broom. "okay, lets go!" her mother said and began to trot her mount. Pungahn followed, though she was distracted with her memories of Hogwarts and all her friends. she absentmindedly rode the new horse as she wondered where her friends were now and if any of them were in Texas too...

Eventually Pungahn forgot about her Hogwarts friends for a wile and focused on her ride. Grain was a very good horse. at the end of her ride she had him jumping the highest jumps she had ever done.

as she put Grain back in his stall in the barn an owl landed on the front porch. Pungahn recognized it and saw a letter tied to its leg. opening it, Pungahn was excited. she took the owl and gave it some water while she wrote a reply. she attached it to the owls leg. "take this back to River." she said to the owl and let it fly off.

River was very excited about going to see Pungahn, not only because she would get to see her friend, but because she had never been to the States before. Well that wasn't entirely true. She did go to Washington D.C. by portkey for a field trip in History of Magic, but she had never flown there before. When her mother told her that she would be flying to Texas, River got really excited and thought that it would be great practice, but then her mother told her that she wouldn't be flying by broom but by airplane. Though River is half muggle, she had never traveled anywhere by plane before, and she was very nervous. For the entire flight, River had her eyes closed saying, "I'm on my Firebolt, flying around the Pitch." At one point the muggle lady next to her said, "It's very natural to be scared dear, and it's good that you imagine yourself riding your horse Firebolt. Imagining yourself 'flying' around the ring fast on your horse must be invigorating." River just looked up at the lady and smiled at her. Oh if she only knew, she thought.

Once the plane landed, River couldn't get off of it fast enough. She definitely prefered flying on a broom. River walked out of the airport and, like her mother told her to do, looked for a cab. When she found one she handed the paper that had Pungahn's address on it to the driver, and she was on her way. It only took about 20 minutes to get to Pungahn's and River was very excited to see her friend. River pulled her school trunk out of the cab, and walked up to the front porch of the ranch. She was glad that she had worn an old pair of jeans and a tank top because it was very dusty. River didn't mind getting dirty though. When she settled her trunk onto the porch River rang the door bell, and waited anxiously for her friend.

Pungahn was cooking dinner and her mother was out feeding the horses when the doorbell rang. Pungahn called "just a minute!" to whoever was at the door as she turned off the stove now that the pasta was cooked. she let it sit there and answered the door . "River!" she shouted and putted her into a strong hug. "you came!" she saw the school trunk on the porch... "Whats with the trunk?" she had an idea, but wanted to hear it.

River hugged Pungahn back, but didn't expect such a strong one. "Hi. Oh, well you never specified how long you wanted me to stay, so I packed some things." River hoped that she wasn't imposing with the trunk. "It's just that, I thought it would be fun to hang out together for awhile, since it's a 23 hour plane ride to get here from where I live. As long as that's okay with you and your family, I mean."

Pungahn smiled at her friend "Not at all! Let me introduce you to my mother. she is feeding the horses right now." Pungahn headed over to the trunk and lifted up one side of it. "you grab that side and we can place this trunk at the bottom of the stairs right there." Pungahn said while pointing towards the stairs that lead up from the foyer.

River grabbed the opposite side of her trunk with a huge smile. She was very glad that she would be able to stay for awhile. River was anxious to meet Pungahn's mother. Feeding the horses, she thought, that's the second time someone's mentioned horses. Must be popular here. She giggled a little. Once they put the trunk down in front of the stairs, River followed her friend outside.

Pungahn lead River to the Barn, stopping on the way to lead a horse back to to the barn. "this is Silver. she is my mother's favorite horse." she lead the horse and River into the barn. as she entered she called to her mother, who must have been in the storage room. "hey ma! when you are finished there is someone here you need to meet!" she exclaimed over the sound of hove beats on the concrete floor.

"just a minute!" she called back, apparently double checking the grain stores.

Pungahn lead Silver into the stall and took off her halter, allowing her to get her dinner of hay and grain. She came back out into the isle to see what River was up to.

As Pungahn was leading River to the barn, River looked around wide-eyed at everything on the ranch. She had never seen a ranch before, and was amazed by all of the different animals. She looked at the beautiful horse, named Silver, that Pungahn was leading to the barn. Once they reached the barn, River looked into all of the stalls at the many horses. One particular horse caught River's eye. It was a beautiful black horse with a small, white, diamond shaped mark on it's chest. She walked up to the horse and put her hand up to it. The horse smelled her hand, and then let out a strong gust of air from its nostrils. River jumped, slightly taken aback by this, but then she regained herself and slowly reached up to bet the horses neck.

Pungahn saw River by a special horse and smiled. "that is my horse, Diamond. she is the friendliest one in our barn at the moment. As pungahn was talking her mother walked up behind her. without turning Pungahn introduced them. "mother, this is River, from School. River, this is my mother, Sandra Naihanchi."

"Nice to meet you." Sandra said and extended her hand in greeting.

When Pungahn's mother came up to them, River stopped petting the horse and turned toward her. She extended her hand to shake, "It's nice to meet you also Mrs. Naihanchi. Thank you so much for letting me stay at your home for a little while."

Sandra smiled. "stay as long as you like! We have too mush space here anyways! why don't we head inside? You're just in time for dinner. I will go finish that and Pungahn can introduce you to all the horses.

Sandra left to Finish dinner. Pungahn lead River to the beginning of the isle and introduced the horses one by one. "this is Grain, he is the newest member of our barn and a great jumper. this is Sand, he is the fastest one. Dimond you just met, Silver as well, and this is TL. Her full name is This Little Light of Mine, but that is her show name. she is the only English riding style horse we have here. she is trained the best out of all our horses and cost a lot when we bought her because she is a registered horse."

Pungahn gestured at the rest of the horses on the other side of the isle. "the rest of these horses are ones we buy from auctions to save them from going t the slaughter house. we retrain them for whatever they are best at and sell them. it is my mothers business and how she makes a living."

River liked Sandra, she was just and nice and kind as Pungahn. When Pungahn was showing her all of the horses, River wasn't really sure what she meant by "show name", "English riding", and "registered" since she didn't know anything about horses other than what they were. She kind of made a confused sort of face. She then looked at her friend, "That sounds like it would be a really fun job to have."

River's stomach growled. She looked down at her stomach. "I guess that I'm kind of hungry," she joked. "It was kind of a long flight."

Pungahn laughed. "okay, lets go have dinner then! i hope you don't mind, but me and my mother are vegetarians, so we eat pasta a lot." she lead the way back to the house.

"every once in a while we get an odd animal here and there that needs good care so we take them in too." They entered the house and Pungahn gave River a quick tour before washing up for dinner.

"Oh I don't mind at all. I'm not a picky eater, and I LOVE pasta." She couldn't wait to eat. When Pungahn said that she was going to show her around she asked, "Should we take this with us, so it's not blocking your stairs." She walked over to her trunk and began to pick it up.

"yes, lets bring it up to my room." she lifted the other side and lead the way up the stairs and to the right, into her room. She set it down next to the bed and went over to her own trunk, turning it so the short side was faceing out and then pushed River's trunk into place next to it. "there, that will work for now." she said and showed her the way to the upstairs bathroom so they could wash up for dinner.

River followed Pungahn to the bathroom, and they washed their hands for dinner. "I really like your house. It is very nice. I've never seen a ranch before," she said as they walked back down the stairs toward the kitchen.

"it becomes normal to you after a while, especially in Texas." they sat at the Table as Sandra put the big bowl of spaghetti on the table. "Dig in!" she said and took a scoop for herself. Pungahn also took a scoop and started eating.

River had never seen so much pasta before. Her eyes gleamed with joy as she took a huge spoonful for herself. After she had swallowed her first bite of spagetti she said, "This is very good, thank you very much." She looked a Pungahn, "I never got to congratulate you on making seeker on Liz's team and on the award for the most points for Hufflepuff. Have you been able to practice flying at all this summer?"

Pungahn swallowed before answering. "no, not yet. just getting back into the routine here. maybe tomorrow after breakfast, though it will have to be short so no muggles can see us. we have a buyer for one of our horses coming at 9:00.

River was really excited about the opportunity to fly. "I wanted to fly my broom here, but my mum said that it would have been impossible."

Pungahn thought a moment then laughed to herself. "you would probably have fallen asleep somewhere over the ocean. plus flown near a muggle town and been seen, so yeah, that would have been a bad idea." She finished up with dinner and excused herself to shower and get ready for bed.

"It would have been better than flying. I hated the airplane," she said. "Thank you so much for the great dinner," she said to Sandra when she had finished her dinner. She then followed Pungahn upstairs to get ready for bed. She hadn't realized until now just how tired she was from her flight.

Pungahn dragged out an extra fold out bed. by the time she cerawled into bed she was tired too. "well, we will have to get up early if we want to fly, so we better get some shut eye. night."

River pulled on her pj's and crawled under the covers of the fold out bed. "Good night," she said to her friend. She couldn't wait to wake up and fly.

((OOC: I have to go to work soon so I won't be back on for another 6 or so hours))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back