Practising Defence

Jolly Cooper

Jolly stood in the Hogwarts Garden, surrounded by various colorful flowers. She was standing on the pathway, careful of not stepping on any plants, planning how she would practise her defence here. Professor King had given them homework to practice the Finite spell. For once, Jolly didn't do this in the common room and decided to go the garden...practising in fresh air would do her good.

Andy was walking about the garden swishing and flicking her wand and muttering different incantations in her head. Nothing was happening for the sheer fact they had not been taught how to do a spell from thought.
She saw Jolly and decided to practise a little bit more. She focused her mind and waved her wand in the direction of Jolly's wand.
"Expelliarmus" she called out loud and clear.

Vydráel had been wondering the grounds and found himself surrounded by flowers. Seeing another person there, he decided to walk over and say hi.

Kailey walked into the garden. The garden was slowly becoming her place of choice to stay when she had spare time on her hands. She saw a group of people presumably first years and figured she should be nice and introduce herself. She walked over to the them and said "Hey Andy, Hi you two."

Amy was on one of her daily walks round the grounds when she thought she decided to go over to the garden. On entering she saw a number of people there. "Hii!" Amy called happily over to them.

Vydráel slowed down his pace as he noticed more people coming to the same place. He didn't feel like intruding but thought he may as well be polite.
'no harm', he thought to himself

Jolly jumped when her wand went flying out of her hand. And then, all of a sudden, she was surrounded by people. She noticed it was Andy who had cast the spell and gave her a thumbs up, saw Amy coming up and grinned broadly. "Hey, girl!" Then, came a Ravenclaw she didn't know. "I am Jolly," she said, looking around at another boy who had wandered into the garden. "And who might you be?" Jolly asked him politely.

Vydráel jumped a little as he heard the voice.
"Hey, I'm Vydráel" he replied as he was suddenly in the group.
"I think i know some of you.. don't i?" he asked, looking at each face in turn

Andy punched the air having accomplished the spell. All of a sudden they seemed to be surrounded by others. Cool she thought.
"Hey Kailey, Amy" as she walked over to where Jolly stood she noticed Vy and smiled at him, "hey Vy."

she turned back to Jolly, "managed it at last!" she smiled pointing to Jolly's wand.

"Hey Jolly, I'm Kailey." Kailey said realizing she only knew Amy and Andy.

Andy frowned slightly and looked at Vydrael, "Would you mind if I called you Drae instead? It's just that I already call Violet, Vi and it sounds strange calling you, a boy more or less the same thing"

"Strange coincidence we all happen to be here?" Amy asked grinning. She then turned to Andy, "You know I really can't do that spell!" frowning slightly as she pulled out her wand and glanced it.

Jolly smiled at the boy. "Well, I am sure I didn't know you uptil now. Nice to meet you both," she said to him and Kailey. Andy walked over and Jolly took her wand from her hand. "You scared me, Red," she joked. "I am practising spells for defence homework here. Anyone wants to join me? We can practise on one another."

Vydráel nodded at andy, understanding the situation. "It's fine" he said with a little flourish.
"So are we all going to practice a little wand works?" He asked everyone, flipping out the wand he had just bought earlier in the morning
He smiled at the new faces

At the mention of practicing on one another Kailey's eye widened and she started shaking her head rapidly. She remembered the fiasco that happened at the end of last year and didn't want a repeat of it with these first years.

"I could really do with some practise, and help!" Amy said smiling at her friends, twiddling her wands in her hands.

Vydráel watched the girl shake her head and almost laughed.
"if it makes you feel any better, i've taken hits from people twice my height." remembering how short he was. "or more" he chuckled

"No, It's a very bad idea to do that. Trust me I know." Kailey said

"Yeah, we are Vydrael," replied Jolly confidently, sending Kailey a confused looks. "What is it? Um, are you afraid or something? We are not that bad, you know," she said with a smile. "I might be a little clumsy and yes, I did set fire to Professor King's desk...but I am not that bad...though you didnt need to know that." She blushed slightly.

"No I'm not afraid of you guys it's mainly that I'm lazy and don't feel like writing another essay." Kailey explained

Andy smiled reassuringly at Kailey.
"Professor King did tell us to practise. We've exams next week and he'll probably get us to do them. We don't know any nasty duel spells other than stupefy. I can get my uncle to come down and heal us if any of us gets hit by it. But I think it's more the finite, protego and expelliarmus charms that we need to practise".

Andy held up her wand and smiled lovingly at it.
She looked at Kailey, "another essay?"

Vydráel looked to around.
"well i don't mind giving something a go. I only JUST got here a few days ago." Adding some emphasis to the words. "I'm not afraid of hard work either, if i get hurt then its my fault for participating isn't it." he winked at each girl

"He told you to practice but when me and a group of other first years tried last year one spell was cast before we got grouched out by a prefect. Blah Blah blah, we had to write essays and I for one have alot of work piled up and don't have the time to do an essay on top of it." Kailey explained

[I have to go to work now! bye!]

Jolly raised her eye-brows when she saw Vydrael wink at them. He seemed flirty. Inwardly rolling her eyes, she told him, "That's the spirit, my man." She grinned and turned to look at Kailey. "Andy's right. It's just the simple spells we need to practise. I've been practising Expelliarmus a lot. I mastered it. Look! Expelliarmus!" She said, pointing her wand at Andy's.

Amy watched as Jolly performed the spell, feeling slightly behind. "I really can't do that you know!" she said a little anxiously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back