Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Hello,

It is not easy for me to write this, but I have realized that this course of action is likely necessary. I have determined that I will not process any applications for students to transfer to HNZ in Y11.

My reasoning for coming to this conclusion is manyfold, and I will be sure to outline some of that for you through the course of this topic. However, I would like to begin by apologizing to those who took the time to apply then waited patiently for me to process their applications and will now have absolutely no chance to be approved this year. To those people, I extend my sincerest apologies. If there is any way I can aid you in getting your characters in order after the trouble this might cause for any plots (outside of transferring them to HNZ) please do not hesitate to PM me and I will do whatever I can.

Now, why is it exactly that I have decided not to transfer applications? Many of you, I am sure, are familiar with the Staff Blog, on which I have on several occasions outlined how time consuming applications are, how much we put in to making their processing fair, how much Livvy is handling in real life, how much extra burden that places on me, and most importantly: how very desperately I require your patience, support, and understanding. It is those three things: patience, support, and understanding, which I have been denied.

After outlining that I desired to wait until all transfer applications were in to process them (so I could fairly compare and contrast them all together, as so few are normally approved) I received many inquiries about when transfers would be processed. I also read complaints in the "Spam" topic and in the shoutbox. I heard about complaining going on over messengers and social networks, and I couldn't handle any more of it. I proceeded to warn HNZ in the shoutbox of how very near to the line of what I could handle in terms of complaints we were approaching, and still my plea for understanding, support, and patience was ignored.

It was a small group of people who continued to nag, complain, and bemoan the process which determines who will transfer to HNZ and who will not. It was that small group of people who have taken the opportunity to transfer from everybody who applied. The options available to me were few. I could take the continued complaints and abuse, but I have done that for over a year and it has gotten me nowhere. I could deny applications from those who complain, but that would be 'unfair' to them (how twisted a logic is that?) and it would also cost me more of my time (of which I have very little to spare). Or, I could stop transfers. It is this latter decision which I came to.

This is not the first time on HNZ that I have 'played hard-ball'. In the past, when true 'spam' was being posted in the spam topics we went through a series of punishments (including removing off-topic post count, closing 'spam' topics for weeks, and then a long period of harshly moderated 'General Discussions' topics) before things finally got through and settled down on HNZ. That situation was also one where a handful of people ruined things for the entire board. This course of action mirrors that of HNZ's past. It is unfortunate that so many who did not complain, who were both patient and supportive, will now not receive transfers and have plots changed or simply ruined - and it is to those people that I feel the deepest regret and who I am willing (nay, eager!) to help in any way that I possibly can.

Transferring to HNZ has been a recent addition to the things that we offer to members, and in general it has been an excruciating amount of work but we have been willing to do it because of how much it helps members and how grateful our member base is. However, it is not necessary, so this year it will not occur.

We'll try again next year.

Thank you for your understanding,

~Nicolas

That's more than okay, Nick.
You deserve to make decisions based on how people act.

And I know that I did my share of complaining about the time that Transfer Applications took, and I understand that it wasn't fair on you at all. :console:

Sorry to hear about this Nick :( this really sucks for those who waited and for those who complain (a big dunce cap on you!) Kinda sad that lot of plox had to be change and stuff for some. But I get it though :hug: just make it lot easy for you anyways ♥ thanks either way ^_^

Sorry that everyone was so hard on you Nick, I do, however, have a question, for those who weren't sorted do we still have the chance to be sorted as first years?

Yes.
As stated in the PM sent out to all transfer applicants, you can still be sorted. :)

Oh okay thank you.

I'm not sure whether it has been discussed before or not, but for future, would it be possible for volunteer's to help with the process of sorting to relieve the hard working admin's of some of the pressure? I can see where there could be problem's with it, but it would surely be helpful to lighten some of the load in future ^_^

Dude. That is insane.

I mean, really. I can't even imagine how much crap you took. :(
And I agree with Brittany. I(And I'm sure many others) would love to help out in any way we can to lighten the load.

I was really sad to read what was in this topic, but at the same time, loved that all our members came together to try and help out and ensure that we all do understand, Nick. Hopefully in future this issue wont rise too much, better yet, not at all.

Sorting will always remain something that the staff do. Currently only I do it, and I enjoy it. It isn't that difficult. If I need help in the future, I'll make it so the whole staff can help.
The reasoning for that is:
1) The sorting hat is a private account and given moderation powers for the whole board. It is also given limited Admin CP access and changes user groups.
2) One person sorting allows for easier record keeping. I keep a spreadsheet of sorting as it occurs.
3) General members sorting will, unfailingly, end up in complaints about where people were sorted and people sorting their own characters to wherever they want.

It's far too much access to give general members.
As I've said, I enjoy doing sorting and don't have a problem with it all.
Transfers are a hassle, a big one, and I did it because people were patient in the past. This year I had enough of those who were not, so I did not transfer anybody.

It is transfers, and not sorting, that is the problem here. :)

I do appreciate and understand the desire to help, though, and so I recommend joining some OOC joinable groups that do work in the OOC sections of the board. The slaves to the nictator group is occasionally used to do extra things. (A forum appears to users in that group with a topic for discussion, or explaining what needs to be done and looking for volunteers.)

Nick, I'm sorry to hear that people have done this. I completely understand that this is really hard work, and as much as i was looking forward to a sorting, this reason actually doesn't irritate me at all.
I hope that those people have learned from their mistakes, and I hope that next years sorting will be better!
A very good choice, Nick.

XxColexX

Once more: Sorting is still open. ;)
Transfers are not. :)

i know, I have a lot of work to do if i want to make it by sorting xD

Aw Nick :console: I had no transfer applications in this year, probably a good thing heh heh. I completely understand the stress involved, and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the y10 transferring not worked out until sorting was over? I was just assuming that was how it was done ^_^

You know, for me this is probably good news (although it is awful about the complaining and I'm sorry for the tone of some of my comments :( . I meant it to be jokey, but I realise now that some of it could be interpreted as complaining, for which I am sorry). Although I don't think I'm going to change Char's history (plus I've missed sorting) as that would take hours, but this means that I'm not trying to get a student in while absent.

I think that HNZ should take a web-wide oath not to complain about transfer time etc. :correct: It actually takes a surprisingly short time, considering the number of applications and the process they have to go through. If I were in Nick's position, they would take at least double the time, so kudos to Nick. (Kudos!! :hug: )

Anyway, point is, this is understandable and I, at least, promise to be better behaved from now on Nick :correct: . (man, now I feel like I'm talking to a teacher or something. Well, I suppose as a Slave To The Nicktator, he is my Master :p )

Archived

This topic can no longer be considered 'news' but should rather be called 'olds'. It has thusly been archived.
If you have any questions or concerns involving this [former] news, please contact an administrator and keep looking for newer 'news' in the News and Updates forum.

Thank you,
~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back