{!} Important Poll

Should HNZ use the AIO for its galleons system?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sure, it'll be helpful.

• I don't care (Choosing this is as good as not voting)

• No, it'll cause problems.

• No: I can only use IE.

• NO! It'll be dreadful!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I voted last night without actually reading the comments which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. =-/

I voted SURE, it'll be helpful. I think the new system is a great idea because it must be hard for goblins to keep up with all those accounts, especially as the site keeps growing tremendously. I honestly don't see how it's so hard for people to understand. :huh: Sure I had a few questions about it, but Nick was able to answer them simply and it's really not a hard concept to grasp. My favorite thing is the donating money to someone part. It's simple, I like it! Plus, getting money for posts and collecting interest, that's a neat added bonus! :)

Once again though, the only problem is the IE thing for those that are simply unable to download/use Firefox/Chrome. I think we should have another poll to see how many people use compatible browsers versus IE users and if there are many more IE users than anticipated, perhaps reverting back to the old system would be best. 8-l
However, if there aren't too many IE users, perhaps the goblins can figure out a system, or continue using their old system? I don't know, it's weird but that's the only thing I can think that's possible. Also, I wouldn't mind being a goblin if they need extra help.

I will say the only thing I'll miss is the Inventory, just because I like looking at the stuff we have in it. :lol: Will that be done away with if the new systems ends up ruling in favor?

Marko Prince said:
I know what Nick said but to be honest, I hate it. I would perhaps scream if we used a system such as it, I mean I tried and tried as best as I could to get it up and running there but no luck. I reset my password thing and typed it in and it keeps refreshing me back and back to it, If however I got a little help It may be good I just don't know :ph43r:
Do you use Safari?
That's fixed with the click of a few buttons.

Isabella Chaos said:
I will say the only thing I'll miss is the Inventory, just because I like looking at the stuff we have in it. :lol: Will that be done away with if the new systems ends up ruling in favor?
:blink: This has nothing to do with the way items are placed in inventories. That will still stay. It's just an admin editable profile field.

Professor Nicolas King said:
Marko Prince said:
I know what Nick said but to be honest, I hate it. I would perhaps scream if we used a system such as it, I mean I tried and tried as best as I could to get it up and running there but no luck. I reset my password thing and typed it in and it keeps refreshing me back and back to it, If however I got a little help It may be good I just don't know :ph43r:
Do you use Safari?
yes I do :cool:

Marko Prince said:
Marko Prince said:
Do you use Safari?
yes I do :cool:
How to fix it has been PMed to you.

I can testify that it does work on Safari. It also works on Opera. There ARE other browsers out there besides IE and Firefox.

If it's not buggy and we think the codes will stay working fine and it's gonna make life easier for the goblins and shopkeepers who already have lots of work to do then I say yes. I don't know what the money system is like now but I know it used to be a whole lot of work and anything that makes things easier on people who dedicate so much time to this site is a good thing.

Sophia Stark said:
I don't know what the money system is like now but I know it used to be a whole lot of work and anything that makes things easier on people who dedicate so much time to this site is a good thing.
It operates the same way it did before. :blank:
I think that a lot of people don't realize how much work the current system is, on any end of things, so it's easy to vote no and not take other factors into account. I get that it won't work for some people, which is a huge problem, and that some people may believe there are better/easier ways to fix this. That's why it's a poll. we see what the site thinks and might get something out of not going to this system: like a new idea for the money system.
All I know right now is that the current system is barely working and needs to be updated before Y7 when HNZ will gain another set of active members.

Thanks Nick for all of your hard work, innovations and the way that you have handled the onset of comments, questions, feedback, etc.

I have registered and will try out some of the new features sometime in the next week.

With respect to the whole inventory issue and alleviating some of the workload for shopkeepers/assistants/new students/Cecily/Goblins/etc. before Y7, I think that I may have voiced this before (sorry if this is the wrong time, place or forum :unsure: ). Could we not start off all new students with all of their required items in their inventory assuming that they purchased them all at the posted store costs (i.e. they would have their uniform, robes, cauldron, books, quills, ink, parchment, etc. and a whole lot less money) and then give them the option of RPing for discounts or additional items (brooms, wands) only? If they had a successful RP, then the shopkeeper could credit their account with the amount they managed to haggle and add any additonal items.

Sorry if this detracts from the original point of this thread, which I will vote on when, as you say, I am feeling more informed/familiar. In theory, I like it and will go with the majority...

Bruin Dumbledez said:
With respect to the whole inventory issue and alleviating some of the workload for shopkeepers/assistants/new students/Cecily/Goblins/etc. before Y7, I think that I may have voiced this before (sorry if this is the wrong time, place or forum :unsure: ). Could we not start off all new students with all of their required items in their inventory assuming that they purchased them all at the posted store costs (i.e. they would have their uniform, robes, cauldron, books, quills, ink, parchment, etc. and a whole lot less money) and then give them the option of RPing for discounts or additional items (brooms, wands) only? If they had a successful RP, then the shopkeeper could credit their account with the amount they managed to haggle and add any additonal items.
Cecily and I still remember your suggestion and will still discuss it -- we're just holding it off until closer to Y7. ^_^

Just to claify, how do we get the same galleon total that is in out bank account now to the side of our posts????

It's been bugging me, sorry it this isn't the right place :unsure:

Thomas Smith said:
Just to claify, how do we get the same galleon total that is in out bank account now to the side of our posts????

It won't happen unless we adopt this system.
If we do adopt it a few people will manual go through and update created accounts. Users will, hoever, have to register in the AIO before they can have their galleons updated. :)

Thomas Smith said:

It won't happen unless we adopt this system.
If we do adopt it a few people will manual go through and update created accounts. Users will, hoever, have to register in the AIO before they can have their galleons updated. :)
I have registered with it, but in my gringotts account I have 120 Galleons, but at the side it says I have 406. How do you change that?

Sorry for been awkward :doh:

I have registered with it, but in my gringotts account I have 120 Galleons, but at the side it says I have 406. How do you change that?

Sorry for been awkward :doh:

I believe the Galleon's showed on the side when you post, is how much you have on hand. If you access your bank account, via AIO, you have the option of depositing those Galleons into your bank account.

Also, this is pointed towards everyone. This system was just released, the day it was implemented on the forums. It will have bugs, and I am also pretty sure they are working on making it compatible with other internet browsers.

Monty Phoenix said:
I am also pretty sure they are working on making it compatible with other internet browsers.
Unfortunately, based on the measures Viral took toward the code and IE, I don't think he plans to update/fix the code to work in IE. :(
Also, it went through a tonne of testing before it was released, I assume that it was never intended for it to have bugs when it was released xD

I'd like to echo Nick's concern about people voting NO simply because they don't understand. Why not just wait it out like Bruin and Hilary and try to grasp some understanding of it first? I mean shouldn't we just give it a shot if it's going to make money handling on this site easier? Really, there is no need for narrow mindedness. I can understand how people with computers which only allow IE will vote no, but it isn't like the majority of us with other browsers, especially the admins, are going to forget you lot. As Isabella mentioned/suggested, those users would most likely have to stick with the current system anyway. It would be great if we all just really weighed out the pros and cons of this for the collective board [and not just ourselves] and then voted on whether it would be a good addition or not.

Thanks Nick for bringing in this suggestion. I don't exactly know how much work the current system is demanding, but I can try to imagine. Therefore, I vote YES. ^_^

Okay.... I have yet had quite the chance to work through the different features of the program but so far it seems that it could be a nice addition. One of my worries is that we'll switch over to this money system and then for whatever reason we'll have to switch back and fix all the totals again.....

A few questions: Is there an option to automagically give people galleons (like for allowances) or would that still be done manually? Does it matter that the money wouldn't be coming "from" anyone?

Would there be some form of confusion with having some people on the new system and some people on the old system (because of browsers)? How would we know who was where? COuld there maybe be a list somewhere if we did choose this way of who was still on the old system?

Also.... is there a way of knowing where the money you just got in your account came from? Or what you've already paid for?

Yeah I'm not sure if I should have PMed all my questions or whatever..... so if I was meant too, just let me know.... I still haven't voted and am still a little divided on this.

Isabella Chaos said:
:blink: This has nothing to do with the way items are placed in inventories. That will still stay. It's just an admin editable profile field.
Ahh I figured it didn't have anything to do with it, just figured inventory/banking stuff was sorta similar. :lol:
In any case, if it has nothing to do with it then awesome!

I still like the new system but Hilary brings up a lot of really good questions that I've been wondering too. :)

Hilary Grace said:
A few questions:
Is there an option to automagically give people galleons (like for allowances) or would that still be done manually? Does it matter that the money wouldn't be coming "from" anyone?

No, that's not a feature, but if we're awarding money for posting in RPs (3 galleons per post at the moment) then allowances would no longer be necessary. ^_^
Shopkeepers can transfer 'paycheques' to their assistants in whatever amount they desire, too.

Would there be some form of confusion with having some people on the new system and some people on the old system (because of browsers)? How would we know who was where? COuld there maybe be a list somewhere if we did choose this way of who was still on the old system?

There might be a profile field added for 'Are you on the AIO? Y/N' and then shopkeepers/everybody else knows how to deal with that person.

Also.... is there a way of knowing where the money you just got in your account came from? Or what you've already paid for?
Yes, there is a 'donation log'.

We may not have to worry about the AIO, or the problems it will cause as much as it will help.
There might be another way to do things we're just missing.
Thank you to everybody who is being open minded about this [no matter if you voted for or against the system: I know that it's quite possible to vote no even after thinking things through entirely], and not just voting "I'm confused right now, no!" because it's people like you who've made this site what it is -- not anybody who doesn't like something new because it might confuse them at first. :)

Blake Zepline said:
I'd like to echo Nick's concern about people voting NO simply because they don't understand. Why not just wait it out like Bruin and Hilary and try to grasp some understanding of it first? I mean shouldn't we just give it a shot if it's going to make money handling on this site easier? Really, there is no need for narrow mindedness. I can understand how people with computers which only allow IE will vote no, but it isn't like the majority of us with other browsers, especially the admins, are going to forget you lot. As Isabella mentioned/suggested, those users would most likely have to stick with the current system anyway. It would be great if we all just really weighed out the pros and cons of this for the collective board [and not just ourselves] and then voted on whether it would be a good addition or not.

I would do exactly this if I could access it. However, as it turns out, I only have IE, my parents will only ever let me have IE, and I therefore cannot even look at this new system, begin to understand it, and if it is used, then I guess I'd be missing out a bit :/

Hollie Ridley said:
Blake Zepline said:

I would do exactly this if I could access it. However, as it turns out, I only have IE, my parents will only ever let me have IE, and I therefore cannot even look at this new system, begin to understand it, and if it is used, then I guess I'd be missing out a bit :/
Which is why he said "I can understand how people with computers which only allow IE will vote no". :)

Hollie Ridley said:
Blake Zepline said:

Which is why he said "I can understand how people with computers which only allow IE will vote no". :)
:p Exactly. ^_^

Alright, well after the voting and everything it's pretty obvious that the site is split about this.
Not having the required sixty percent, this system will be removed from HNZ but we will continue looking for an easier way to do the money system, perhaps without so many negatives to it. ;)

Thank you to all of those who commented and voted on this. :)

~Nick

Archived

This topic can no longer be considered 'news' but should rather be called 'olds'. It has thusly been archived.
If you have any questions or concerns involving this [former] news, please contact an administrator and keep looking for newer 'news' in the News and Updates forum.

Thank you,
~The HNZ Admin Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back