Gryffindor's First Practice

It had been nearly a year since Kat had been on her broom and now that it was getting close to quidditch time she figured she better get in some flying time. She headed on down to the pitch, where the other members of the team were already assembled and doing laps. She sat her broom on the ground and pulled her hair back in a loose ponytail and then picked her Streak back up, mounted it and kicked off. She did a few laps around the pitch, feeling the wind whip across her face. This is the best feeling in the world. I've really missed this! she thought to herself with a smile playing at the corner of her lips as she flew over to a few of her teamates. "Hullo everyone!" Kat said brightly to her friends.

"Hey Andy!" Kiera called as her friend joined them in the air. She watched as Andy did a warm up lap. Kiera grinned. "Hey do you want to practice with me again?" she half-teased.

Kiera turned when she heard a new voice. It was Katalina. "Hey Kat!" she answered back with a bright smile.

Mike power walked to the Quidditch Pitch, holding his scarlet streak. Mike saw that most of the people on the team where there."Hey Guys" Mike said.

Cyndi had finished her laps and decided to go stand next to Bruin to wait for further instructions. As she touched down on the ground, she saw Mike enter the pitch. "Hey Mike" Cyndi said.

"Hey Cyndi, you alright?" asked Mike.

"Sure am. I can't wait to get started. How about you?" Cyndi asked.

Bruin realized that the majority of the players had now arrived, gave the first year he had greeted a little look to suggest he better get going, and called out for everyone to gather round. Bruin decided he'd give them all a few moments to finish their laps and other tricks and then it would be time to go to work. Bruin gave Mike and Cyndi, the two closest teammates to him a little wink and then joked. "Looks like the other houses are in for trouble this year, don't you think?"

Andromeda laughed at Kiera, holding up her left arm that had broken before the summer holidays.
"I'm just getting used to having both arms in perfect working order again are you mad!" she swerved quickly around one of the hoops and began flying in the opposite direction towards Kiera.
"Anytime you know that" she smiled as she hovered beside her.

Cyndi laughed at Bruin's remark. "Yup. The other teams better watch out." Cyndi replied.

Kiera laughed. "I know! This time I will try not to break your arm!" she promised. Kiera had had fun at her practice with Andromeda even if it ended badly. "This year is going to be great! Did you practice over the summer?" Kiera asked with enthusiasm.

Hilary had been napping by the lake when she glanced over to the pitch and realized that the colour she saw was green "RIGHT PRACTICE!" she said out loud but luckily she had a backpack of space so out she yanked her streak and she hopped onto it. She zoomed quickly over to the pitch as a sort of warmup. She flew over the Gryffindor stands very near the head of the first year watching and then she pulled up quickly right beside Bruin. "Hey all, I said I'd be a little late and I didn't want to dissapoint" she smiled widely at the group and then turned to Bruin "SO, what's the plan Captn' ?"

"Plan? Plan?" Bruin asked increduously. "You think I ever have a plan for these things?" He added with a smile as he rubbed his chin and tried to look deep in thought.

After a few moments, he pointed a finger in the air and mocked that an idea had just popped into his big round head. "Wait, I've got it.... let's play Hot Potato!" He stated excitedly as if he was a five-year-old. "You can only hold the Quaffle for three seconds before you have to pass it to someone else. If the pass isn't right on target then you have to buy a round of butterbeers at our first team trip to the Three Broomsticks."

Bruin knew full well that he wanted to release the bludgers and snitch as well at some point, but thought some precision passing and fancy flying were in order first. Seeing Hilary was still on her broom, Bruin called out. "You first Miss Grace!", launching the Quaffle at her and quickly mounting his Streak.

Kat listened as Kiera and Andy discussed how Andy had broken her arm later last year and she couldn't help but chuckle just a little bit. "Well at least i'm not the only clumsy one. Only I never broke anything, just a minor concussion first year. Nothing major." she said laughing. She noticed that Bruin and Hilary were discussing something, probably some warm-up that he wanted to do with everyone before beginning any actual practicing. Kat saw Bruin launch the quaffle at Hilary and turned to her friends saying, "Heads up! Looks like we are starting this practice up!" She flew a bit away from them and waited to see what Hilary was going to be doing with the quaffle.

"Hot Potato?? Very Funny" she said laughing at Bruin's 'I'm five' impression. "Me? That's not fair I don't handle the quaffle :p " Hilary said in a mock pout. Still though she caught the quaffle a little shaky not exactly used to how big it was compared to a snitch. She quickly transferred and threw the quaffle right at Kiera who had not actively joined the small game yet. Hilary wondered if she would clue in in time.

Laura had seen the notice about the Gryffindor Quidditch practice on the notice board, and because she would like to join the team, she decided to go.

She had been looking up ingredients for her Potions essay in the librarywhen she checked her watch. "Dammit!" she muttered, slinging her bag over her back. "I'm late for the practice."

Laura had run as hard as she could to the Quidditch pitch. Running up to the stands, she whispered a hurried "Hello" to Steph and settled down to watch the practice.

She watched the players having the time of their life up in the air, and vowed to buy herself a broom on the next Brightstone weekend.

Andromeda looked stunned at Kiera.
"It wasn't your fault, I shouldn't have reached as far as I did. We can't all be world class gymnasts like yourself now can we? But I did get tons of practise in hence why I can now take two hands off my broom and balance while flying." she turned as Kat stopped to join in and smiled that the girl she considered poised and elegant would think herself as clumsy as Andromeda. Guess we're all a little flawed then.

Kat let them know that Bruin had started up the session and watched as Hilary caught the quaffle thrown at her and immediately tossed it to Kiera.
"Heads up Kiera!" she called with a grin doing a barrel roll to the left.

Ellie gathered round Bruin, when he called them all, with a grin on her face. Se was so happy to be back up in the air, and wondered what they would be doing that practice. "Hot potato" Ellie asked, laughing as Bruin started the game by throwing the Quaffle to Hilary.

Cyndi heard Bruin announce to everyone else that they would be doing Hot Potato. She watched as he tossed the quaffle to Hilary and then she flew into the air along with everyone else. Cyndi watched Hilary pass to Kiera and waited to see if Kiera would catch it.

((okay so for the warm up are we going to be using the grid? :unsure: to me it would make sense even if its not like a game or anything...and it would at least let everyone know where the others are. plus it would help us get reacquainted with using it! :) ))

Kiera didnt have time to reply to Andromeda's ridiculous statement before they all began to play. Kiera knew it had been her fault Andy's arm had been broken.

Kiera quickly caught the Quaffle. "Yikes!" she said jokingly as she tossed the Quaffle to Katalina. She laughed and followed Andy. She looked behind her to see if Kat had the Quaffle.

Katalina Vanderhol said:
((okay so for the warm up are we going to be using the grid? :unsure: to me it would make sense even if its not like a game or anything...and it would at least let everyone know where the others are. plus it would help us get reacquainted with using it! :) ))
(((Okay, yeah I was thinking maybe but I sort of saw us like sort of floating in a circle and as we only have three seconds there wouldn't be much time to fly with it... To be close enough to throw to anyone I saw it better if we all pretended we were all in the same grid... but I guess it's up to Bruin. :D )))

(wow, who knew a game of hot potato could get so complicated. I just suggested it to get the quaffle in the air and have us start flying around, but didn't really think it through....SO, here's my solution to the problem.)

Bruin noticed that most people were starting to gather towards the centre of the pitch and decided it was time to try and get things a little more organized. He flew between Kiera and Kat and intercepted the Quaffle, wheeling around quickly so that he was now facing what appeared to be roughly a circle of his Gryffindor teammates.

"Alright, you lot. Let's get started or the first years over there'll think we're hopeless." Bruin said under his breath as he did a quick little head count to see if anyone was missing. "I'm not sure if anyone is looking for a new position this year, but for now I'm thinking that we should start off with a little exhibition game with just the Quaffle in play. Let's say, Andromeda as Keeper at the North Hoops with Mike, Cyndi and Harriet as her Chasers. That way Kiera, Kat and Ellie can practice together as Chasers for the team from the South with me as their Keeper. I'll release a Snitch as well and Hilary can practice at Seeker for a bit and then we can mix it up a little to give someone else a chance to practice at Seeker."

Bruin smiled a little, hoping he hadn't missed someone and that the rest would be okay with practicing at some positions they wouldn't normally play. "I'd get the Bludgers out, but they are looking a little wild today after being cooped up all summer, so maybe next practice we can get the Beaters more involved. "Hey Andromeda, your team can start with the Quaffle!" He stated as he threw the Quaffle to her. "Any questions?" Bruin added as he started drifting off towards the south hoops.

(alright, how about we try practicing some passing and scoring for a bit using the grid system to move around.)

Kat went for the quaffle, but Bruin intercepted it just before she caught it. She swore quietly under her breath, not audible for anyone else to hear. Bruin turned to face the rest of the group and started putting together a small game between the team members. As much as she wanted to keep her position as Chaser, Kat was more than willing to switch positions or even take the bench so that everyone would get a chance to play. She listened as Bruin explained everything to team and then once he turned over the quaffle to Andy's team she followed him near the south end of the pitch and waited for the game to start.

ACTION: Waiting for the game to begin
STARTING LOCATION: SSW
ENDING LOCATION: SSW

Team: Myself?? :p
Points: 200 fake ones??? (((Is that what we are playing with?)))
Starting Position: A circle... somewhere

Hilary was itching to get some quidditch played and so when Bruin mentioned that they would be playing an exibition game she smiled. SHe listened for instructions and then when he said he name she looked up.... it sounded a bit like she was the misfit of the four versus four game.... and so she would just be flying around being not much more than an obstacle to the other players. Wow, I guess that's basically what I am in a normal game too :D So she flew up and ended near the centre line of the pitch waiting for a snitch to be released.

Actions: Making an important discovery of her use..
Points Used: Non.
Points left: 200 fake ones still.... until I'm told better
Ending position: SW

Team: South Side All-Stars
Starting Location: SE

Bruin noticed that people seemed to be understanding what he had suggested and accelerated down towards the secured Quidditch trunk which was still thumping and bumping about due to the overly active Bludgers tethered within. He dismounted and opened the trunk carefully, not wishing to start the practice with taking a Bludger in the chest or somewhere further south...like his stomach, of course :lol: .

Bruin opened the little flap that covered the Golden Snitch and saw the little wings spring to life as it rose quickly from the trunk and darted off immediately. Bruin still couldn't fathom how Hilary and some of the others had grown so adept at catching those little things, having a hard enough time following the heavier and much slower Bludgers himself. Bruin quickly closed the lid and latched it and then mounted his brom again and headed off for the South hoops.

"Game on!" He bellowed to the rest.

Action taken: Released the snitch and started the game
Points Used: None
Points Remaining: 200
Finishing Location: SSE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back