Getting Away

Vydráel noted the new arrival. He had seen him around the school a few times before but never attempted to say hello. Most Slytherin's seemed to distrust his house and him because of it. "Hence the Forbidden part I take it?" directing the question at him or Sophia.

Sophia looked up in surprise as Ford appeared beside her. She could detect the haughtiness in his voice and her expression immediately hardened, her golden eyes narrowing up at him.

"Yes, that would be why it is Forbidden," she responded to Vydrael with her eyes still on Ford. "What brings you to the lake?"

Ford sat next to Sophia, "I was taking a break from homework," Ford said in a nonchalant tone, "And yourself?"

Sophia followed Ford with her golden eyes as he sat down beside her. "I was just reading, getting away from the castle. Vydrael here returned a letter to me that had fallen from my bag and we have just been talking." Sophia was sure that Ford was thinking the worst about her and Vydrael. As if I would ever go after a boy so young and innocent.

Ford turned to the younger boy, his look appraising, "What's your House, kid?" He asked, not really caring that he knew the boy's name or that Sophia had explained the situation. Ford's usually calm and calculating demeanor was being swept away by angst and frustration, he wanted to see what the boy would say for himself.

Vydráel looked into his eyes. "Gryffindor." he replied without emotion. "You're Slytherin if i remember right." He added. "I've seen you around."

"Haven't seen you, though," Ford said before turning to Sophia, "The letter from your mother?" He inquired, apparently ignoring the Gryffindor.

Vydráel decided to show him similar courtesy at being tossed aside. "I'll leave you to it then Sophia." He told her while making a move to get up.

Sophia sat between the two boys feeling quite uncomfortably as Ford questioned Vydrael. When Ford asked her a question she looked over at him with a harsh expression. Before she could respond Vydreal spoke and Sophia looked over to see him rising. She shot her hand out and put it on his leg, keeping him from getting up. "Please, you do not have to leave. Just ignore Ford's rudeness."

With that Sophia turned her attention to Ford. "And what does it matter if it was that letter?" she asked snappily, not really appreciating his intrusion at the moment.

Ford's face visibly hardened, as if he had not seen this coming, "Curiosity, that's all." He said, all arrogance lost from his voice, replaced with a dead lack of emotion, "Why shouldn't I ask? In order to find out anything about you, I must drag it out, kicking and screaming."

Vydráel knew of no choice but responding, he shrugged and sat back down again. He looked at Ford with empty eyes. "I am not your enemy or your friend Ford, don't make a mistake because you're mad." He didn't like giving advice but it seemed necessary.

Ford looked at the small boy, animosity flared in his emerald eyes, "I'm not mad," he said swiftly. Despite his propensity to stoicism, even a general observer could tell that Ford was upset, belying his own words, "And this isn't about you, kid."

"No it isn't, it's about how you use anger as a shield." Was Vydráel's reply. He cocked his head to the side. "It's about how everyone but you is not interested in matters that mean nothing."

Sophia simply stared forward at the boys spoke to each other and finally she had had enough. "Stop it, both of you," she said harshly, looking first at Vydreal then to Ford. "Now Ford, what precisely is your problem?" She stared coldly at him as she waited for his response, her golden eyes glowing slightly.

Ford glared at Sophia, "What's my problem?" He asked incredulously, but keeping his voice even, "Perhaps that you always seem to have something going on in your life, but you never seem to think it necessary to speak to me of it. Never."

Sophia raised her eyebrows at Ford. "And just what do I have going on in my life that I am not telling you about Ford? I only just met Vydreal within the hour. Did you want me to come find you and tell you the moment I met him?"

The rage was growing within Sophia and she could feel it strengthening, her golden eyes glowing slightly brighter. She let the rage build but kept it inside her, not wanting to cause any trouble just yet. It was important that she try and learn to control it.

Vydráel looked at them both as they shot words at each other. He knew it was between them but felt a strange urge to laugh at them both. It seemed a childish thing to do so he kept his face straight and waited for a much less embarrassing moment to point out their behaviour. He shifted position and let his wrist slip, showing the scarring from having broken it twice.

"Why not," Ford spat, "Perhaps I might be able to talk to you about something in your life. Since I seem to have to inquisition you about what happens with your parents or Bruin."

Sophia's mouth fell agape at Ford's words. "Why not?! Are you insane? Did you fall off of your broom and knock something loose in that thick head of yours? Because you must be insane if you think I should come to you the second I speak to someone new. And excuse me for being very busy and not wishing to speak about my parents in public. And for the last time nothing has ever happened between me and Bruin!"

At the end of her rant Sophia found that she was standing, although she did not remember getting up. The rage had grown considerably and was threatening to escape in the form of flames. It was taking every ounce of willpower not to light Ford's precious hair on fire, her golden eyes glowing brightly as if aflame.

Vydráel stood up and placed a restraining hand on Sophia's shoulder. "If you're going to do something you may regret later, i wouldn't recommend it." He piped in

Ford ignored the Gryffindor's comment, he wanted Sophia to get angry, things had always been kept below the surface between them. "Then why do things keep happening whenever he's around?" Ford asked, his anger manifesting itself greatly in his tone this time, "You always say nothing happens, yet there's got to be some emotion there, considering how often you two argue."

Professor King was walking across to the lakefront; desiring an opportunity to think about everything that had been happening in his life as of late, and perhaps what he wanted to happen. However, as he neared the lakefront he noted two fourth year Slytherins and a first year Gryffindor. This aroused suspicion in him instantaneously. The age difference followed by their respective houses didn't make this seem like a normal gathering. As he continued to watch the gathering he noticed the conversation become very tense; and Sophia seemed to become very upset. He sighed slightly, giving up his hopes for quite time on the lake and approached the group. "Is everything alright here Mr. Harkonnen, Mr. Wyvernblood and Ms. Stark?" Professor King inquired, giving a courteous nod to each as he addressed them.

Sophia could feel Vydrael's hand restraining her. The rage was welling up inside her and she was just about to respond to Ford when Professor King came up. Well this is just perfect, she thought to herself. The last time she had spoken with Professor King it had not gone well. However, his presence was a bit reassuring. The rage she was feeling toward Ford was lessening as she looked at Professor King, trying to think of what to say.

"Yes, Professor. Ford and I are just having a...disagreement." She stared as blankly as she could at the Professor, her anger still evident. Sophia hoped that he would not mistake it for anger at him. She wanted to control herself and not cause another scene.

Vydráel hadn't expected Professor King to walk in on their conversation but felt some tension between the two lessen. He removed his hand and took a few steps back, nodding towards King in thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back