Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
Curved 12 Inch Sturdy Reed Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
It had just been a normal breakfast. Just a normal day, munching idly on a piece of toast, waiting for one of his roommates to make their way to breakfast so Manaia could goof away the morning with them. Nothing had been wrong, and he had had no idea his world was moments from shattering. Even when the cursed owl had arrived, he hadn't suspected a thing. He had opened the letter cheerfully, wondering if there were yet more questions from Rāwhiti and Marama about Hogwarts life, already planning to write back and ask how dad's latest fishing trip had tone. And then his world had broken apart around him, each word slicing through him as he read them.

Dear Manaia

There is no easy way to tell you this through a letter, but your dad and I are getting a divorce. This has come out of nowhere for all of us, but unfortunately it's the way things have turned out.

I know you have a lot of questions, so I'm going to do my best to explain what has happened, and what's going to happen now. Firstly, we want to be very clear. Your dad and I both love you very, very much, and he's still going to be part of your life, as much as you want him to be. Our separation has nothing to do with any of you kids, you're the best part of both of our lives, and you always will be. Your dad has fallen in love with another woman though, and decided he would rather be with her than me. He's already moved most of his things out, so I want you to be prepared for the house to be different when you come home next time.

We both wish we could have told you this in person. It's very difficult news to give in a letter. But we wanted you to hear it from us, and to know you can write back with anything you need to say. You can ask any questions you like, your dad and I have both agreed you kids all deserve to know the truth about everything. And if you're angry or upset, it's okay to feel that way. You can be as hurt as you like, and nobody will be angry with you. I've sent your Auntie Kahu a letter as well, so if you need someone to talk to in person, you can talk to her.

We love you so much. Always and forever.
Mum

Manaia only realised his hands were trembling when the words in front of his eyes started to shake, realised a moment later when they blurred to nothing that he was crying. His hands crumpled in the paper, a small, desperate part of him wondering if he could just tear the letter up and unmake it. If it didn't exist anymore, the knowledge inside couldn't affect him anymore. But that wouldn't do any good. It was real, the home he had never even considered life without was gone, whisked away forever in one letter. He would never sit on the porch playing guitar with Dad again, while Mum sat by their side and sang along. No more late-night games of gobstones with Mum and Dad when Marama couldn't sleep. No more pulling grossout faces at Rāwhiti when Mum and Dad kissed while they cooked together in the kitchen. His home was gone. Everything that had made him feel safe, feel like he belonged, all of it was broken now. He couldn't bring himself to drop the letter, eventually just pressing it to his eyes to hide his face as he started to heave with sobs.

It had the morning and Nolan had been as slow as a sloth on getting out of bed. He, however, wasn't sure if we had agreed to meet with his roommates or not for breakfast as he was only half asleep when a few of them had already left for breakfast or any of the other things they needed to do. Nolan had finally arrived at the Great Hall for breakfast. Though his hair was still messy like a wild birds nest, as he didn't put much effort into it.

Nolan was excited to have some breakfast and hoped that he could see one of his roommates that he could mess around with. He smiled when he noticed his friend and roommate, Manaia and made his way towards him. "Hey, Dude, Whats-" Nolan says with a smile, but frowned as he heard sobs coming from his Manaia. "Hey, everything alright?" Nolan asked quietly in concern, as he sat down next to his friend.

Charlie was half awake, munching on his breakfast. He blinked a bit when he heard crying, and looked up to see Manaia crying and Nolan sitting next to him. Charlie was instantly awake. He moved to sit on the other side of his friend. "Manaia, hey, we're here," Charlie murmured, his hand hovering. He wasn't sure what to do. He looked around frantically, hoping to see Eugene.

Eugene was tired, he'd been up a little later than he'd intended, but there had been a song stuck in his head and he'd chosen to stay up a little and write a bit of it. Regardless of his tiredness, Eugene knew he had a lot to do that day and was sitting down at the great hall, eating what he imagined would be a quick breakfast before he headed off again. He glanced over the table as he took a sip of juice and spotted his friends, he moved to go sit with them, and noted then that Manaia was...crying..He stopped a little glancing between Nolan and Charlie, not wanting to crowd Manaia or intrude, especially as both Nolan and Charlie seemed to be already doing so. He bit his lip nervously as he wasn't too sure if he should say anything, but could at least if he needed too. He couldn't help but hope that there wasn't anything too wrong, because he would hate to see his friend sad and crying.

Manaia wasn't sure who was sitting next to him at first, sunk too deep in his grief to really talk to anyone. He only really started paying attention when he heard a second voice, realising abruptly that he was crying in the middle of the Great Hall. Manaia would be embarrassed, but by this point the damage was done, and he didn't really feel up to pulling himself together. "I... my..." He choked out before giving up, thrusting the letter at Nolan to read. He knew Mum hadn't intended it for anyone's eyes but Manaia's, but explaining what was going on was all just too much right now. He was still struggling to process the sudden change in his world, and he definitely wasn't ready to explain it to anyone else yet. Besides, if there was anyone he could trust at Hogwarts, it was the three people around him.

Nolan noticed that Charlie and Eugene had joined them, glancing at them and giving them an unsure shrug, as he wasn't sure what was going on. Manaia had started a sentence, but it had been incoherent to Nolan, having no idea what he was saying. He was then given a piece of paper and Nolan gently took it from Manaia's hands and noticed it had been a letter. He looked between his other roommates unsure. He felt that he was invading someone's privacy by reading what could possibly be a private letter. But Nolan slowly took a glance at the letter and skim reading it. His mouth slowly opening slightly from shock, as the first sentence was a dead giveaway. Nolan gently put the letter down, leaving it between them and their roommates to read. He then started rubbing his friend's back gently. "I'm sorry to hear about that man... Is there anything you want me or us to do?" Nolan says with concern. He honestly wasn't sure what to do as he hadn't been in this situation before. But he wanted to let Manaia know that he was going to be there for him no matter what.

Charlie was relieved when Eugene joined them. Eugene would know what to do, he was always the best at this sort of thing. Charlie didn't know what Manaia was trying to say, but apparently it was in the letter that the boy handed Nolan. The look on Nolans face worried him more. When the letter was set down for all of them to glance at, he couldn't help but lean in and peek at it.

His eyes widened. Divorce? Charlie sat up quickly, knowing already he didn't want to know what the rest of the letter said. He tried to think about what was happening, what he was supposed to say. He had only ever had his dad, and his mother had only recently started talking to him again. Charlie was suddenly unsure any of them would be able to handle this properly, and he leaned back at the table, hoping to spot Manaia's aunt at the Professors table so he could wave her over. She would know what to do, surely.

Eugene wasn't sure if Manaia spoke, but there was a noise and some paper was passed to Nolan. He didn't try to peer at it until Charlie was looking at it. He could quite make out all of it, but caught at least an important enough word. Divorce. He gave a little frown looking between the boys and feeling a little unsure of what they should do. He didn't have any experience of divorce, he'd never known his dad in the first place. He heard what Nolan said and nodded, though Manaia probably didn't see that. "We could go to the dorm...," he had had a whole day planned but he'd blow it all off to help Manaia, and maybe a boy's morning in the dorm would help.

Manaia didn't know what to do with himself, and he couldn't quite stop crying for long enough to figure it out. How was he supposed to just go on with normal life at Hogwarts, when his entire home was falling apart? He should be there, he should be with his mum, he should be asking his dad how he could do this, should be looking after Rāwhiti and Marama, should be doing so many things, but... he was stuck here, feeling useless and trapped. He was hardly listening to the people around him, but it was a relief all the same when he heard Eugene mention going to the dorm, giving a slight nod. He had barely started breakfast, but the thought of eating anything right now was overwhelmingly bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back