Closed Dwindling Hopes

Iris van Houten

Whimsical | Quiet | Thoughtful | Inner Eye Asst.

OOC First Name
Daphne
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Gay (Rosalind)
Wand
Knotted 14 Inch Sturdy Hawthorn Wand with Augurey Tail Feather Core
Iris had stopped practicing Divination in the student lounge or library because she had wondered if the presence of other people was somehow disturbing her, or making her less sure of herself which might be causing her to fail. But even as she had started practicing it in private in an abandoned classroom on the second floor, she hadn't been making much progress. She had been practicing her tarot readings first to get into the right mood, and then she had placed down her crystal ball to see if she could finally see something in its misty depths. But she had been staring at it for a long, long, time now. Her eyelids were starting to droop and deep inside she felt her frustration grow. There was a part of her, a part that sounded a lot like Emma, that just wanted to throw this stupid Crystal ball onto the ground and watch it break into a million little pieces. But she didn't do that, instead she just kept her gaze on it steadily, even as her shoulders slumped and she yawned. This would pay off sometime, right? If she just kept on trying?

Elvera was making her way to the library she there was a book she wanted to check out. something important that she wanted to read. Morgan had spent her an owl asking about the best way to grow a rare plant and she could not for the life of her remember the details. She was wandering along the second floor when she noticed a light coming thorough a window of a classroom that was no longer in use. as she got closer she heard a noise inside. some kind of disgruntled noise. She paused and lightly knocked on the door before opening it a few moments later. She didn't want to have misinterpreted the sound and walk in on some the older students enjoying some privacy. she slowly pushed open the door and saw a familiar redhead sitting looking sleepily into a crystal ball. "Iris." she said. the girl had worked so hard in her classes. but she knew she struggled in diviination. she could tell she loved the subject but didn't have the natural skill that some people had. it was a shame. that some people who were so cynical about the subject had a lot of latent talent where as others who really were passionate about it struggled most. "What are you doing in here" she asked. It was clear what she was doing. but the important part was why in here. the room didnth ave a bad vibe as such. but it had a messy juju a result of too many students over too many years using the room for classes, secret rendezvous, parties and games. she could feel it ticking the edges her brain like a feather tickling the edges go her skin. ands was grateful that she was able control it. so it was just the tickle and not hitting her like a steam train as had been the case in the beginning often leading her to nights and days of headaches.

Iris' eyes were starting to droop and she was starting to feel like she might just close them, for just a moment, when she suddenly heard her name. Iris jumped up, startled completely awake again. She blinked, looking up at the woman who had walked in. Of course, it was Professor Le Fey. Why wouldn't it be? Iris felt her cheeks flush a bit and she quickly looked away. "I was practicing, professor." She said, knowing it was a bit of a weird spot for it. "I thought maybe a quiet environment would help."

elvera watches as the girl almost jumped out fo her seat. "I am sorry. I didn't mean to make you jump she said taking a few steps towards the girl. she would turn around if Iris didn't want the company but she wanted to help her student too. "do you mind if I join you or did you want to practice alone" she said. pausing at the table opposite Iris giving her a chance to say no before she sat down. "Quiet is a good start. but there is more to quiet in divination than lack of noise. or would it be better if I said there was a reason the divination tower is so fa away from the rest of the castle, and not just so I have to at least climb a few stais each day to work off the diet of cookies and cake" she said? Were you looking for something particular or just practicing in general?" she asked. if she was looking in general she would likely have better luck than looking for something in particular in this room.

Iris had hoped the Professor hadn't spotted her surprise, but clearly, she had. She smiled a little nervously, not entirely sure if she would want to practice with the professor and show her incompetence. Iris listened as she explained about the quiet, though she wasn't sure if she entirely understood. "I was just practicing, hoping to get better." She said quietly. "You may join if you want, of course, Professor. It's just a bit disheartening." She admitted. "I haven't seen anything in the crystal ball yet."

Elvera smiled gently as iris said that she felt dishartened and was trying to practice. she looked at the ball. she could almost feel it under her gaze pulcing with the decision of what to show her if it wanted to show her anything. "Just because the crystal ball is not as mischievous as other tools used for scrying doesn't make it your friend." she said pausing. she was the divination professor she was meant to encourage people to work hard at her skill. "It's method of playing with you is not showing you half o twisted truthes like fire instead it has it's fun by not showing you anything" she said. once again she wondered who had been the idiot to pick scoring as the third-year course. yes some people it came naturally for. not not many people. and it put a lot more people off the course than it encouraged. "how long have you been practising Iris?" she asked wondering if it was more a break the giel needed than more time looking at the ball.

Iris frowned slightly at the professor's words, glancing down at the ball and back at her. "It's playing with me?" She asked, startled by that idea. "I just thought I wasn't... doing it right." She admitted, playing with her hair nervously. The professor asked how long she had been practicing, and Iris hesitated. "In general or... like, today?" She asked, unsure of what the professor meant. She had been trying this ever since crystal balls had been mentioned in Divination class, maybe even before that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back