Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Grateful that the song wasn't particularly fast so that she would feel silly among the twelve and thirteen year olds not so slow that it would have been awkward, Cyndi had a hand on Monty's waist as she moved to the beat. Monty wasn't as good of a dancer as her husband, but he was certainly not lacking and she was enjoying this moment with him. It was nice to finally let her hair down, quite literally this time, and have some fun. It was just a shame that this was, in all likelihood, the most fun she would have this month. Returning home would be awkward, at best, and the first Christmas without Kiera was upon them.

"Having seen both the Yule ball here and at the other Hogwarts" she said with mock disdain, "which is better?" Of course the correct answer was Hogwarts New Zealand. As an alum, there could be no other answer even if she hadn't ever experienced the other school's event.

When Monty had asked Ava to dance at the yule ball some years ago, his offer had not been so spontaneous as it appeared. Truth be told, he'd practised for days beforehand, knowing he wouldn't have had the courage to stand near her, let alone ask her to dance, if he thought he might accidentally step on her feet. Unfortunately, he'd had much less practice for his dance with Cyndi; and it appeared that, in predicting he would never need the knowledge again, he had discarded practically all of it from memory. It was only fortunate that the song was slow enough that he could concentrate, and that he and Cyndi were good enough friends for it not to matter.

Her question made him laugh. "Hmm. Well, I don't believe in comparing two good things," he said, as if he planned to skirt the question. "But I never did get to dance at the other Hogwarts, so I suppose my memories here are fonder." Truth be told, none of his memories from Hogwarts Scotland were particularly fond. It was part of the reason he'd chosen to work in New Zealand, despite it being so much further from home. Distracted, he missed a step. "I really do apologise. At least I needn't bother explaining why nobody ever asked me," he said, with a rueful grin. "Perhaps you could warn me a few weeks in advance, next time, so I can practise."

"Mmhmm" she murmured, knowing she was not going to let Monty get away that easily. As he continued and gave an answer she liked, Cyndi nodded and then smiled brightly. She felt the misstep but would have ignored except that Monty brought it up first. "Alright, well the next school party is Valentine's day so consider this your warning" she teased the Deputy Headmaster. Cyndi was quite proud of him for getting back into things, and quite happy that there hadn't seemed to be any trouble between her son and her friend this semester. She had forgotten that Jacob hadn't actually had Potions yet.

"How will you be spending the holidays?" she asked, thinking to invite him over. Already, she had her parents coming over and her siblings, her eagerness to not have an empty house and deal with the many issues abounding there great.

Monty laughed. "Received and understood." He had always liked the idea of learning to dance, but there wasn't very much point without a partner, and there were few people he minded entering his personal space. It was nice that there was no awkwardness between him and Cyndi - no misunderstood intentions, and nothing Monty could potentially mess up. It relieved the anxiety he usually found came with female friendships.

Talk turned to the holidays. "Saveli and Reuben intend to visit, but I doubt they'll stay for any length of time," he said, thinking about Ainmere, and Saveli being quite heavily pregnant now with her second child. "Still - it'll be lovely to see them. I'd like to catch up with Ava, too, if she's around. Have you any plans?" He wondered whether Cyndi would see Noah. She hadn't seemed best pleased with his moving to Durmstrang, and though Monty wasn't one to judge, he could imagine why. It was a drastic and, for Cyndi, upsetting solution for the apparent size of the problem. If there was more to it than that, Monty didn't feel it his place to pry.

Laughing along with Monty, Cyndi glanced up towards the ceiling and watched the snow fall as she continued to move. This really was a wonderful moment she realized as they moved. It wasn't that long ago that Cyndi had believed Monty disliked her. That was before she had learned more about his anxiety and about the man himself. She was glad that they'd moved on from all of that awkwardness between them, happy that she considered him a good friend now. She didn't have very many anymore.

Turning her gaze back to Monty, Cyndi listened to his plans with a kind smile. She was happy to hear his daughter would be coming and that Monty would have the opportunity to see his grandchild. "That sounds lovely, Monty!" she exclaimed, giving his shoulder a squeeze. "My family will be coming out from England and I'm sure Cameron's family will come over. This is our first" she paused, looking to the sky to compose herself before continuing, "our first Christmas without Kiera. I figured it would be good for the kids to be surrounded by family." She had a big dinner planned. " I...I can't be alone" she admitted quietly. Cameron's schedule was unpredictable at the best of times, which these weren't and with where things currently were between them, she didn't know if he would be around often. She knew she couldn't face this first Christmas alone.

The house had been incredibly quiet since Saveli had moved out, so Monty always appreciated her visiting - or being invited to visit her. It made him wonder how he'd ever preferred the solitude. He nodded as he listened to Cyndi's plans, his face turning sober. Of course. Unlike Saveli, who, whilst far away, could return to celebrate Christmas, Kiera could not. "Yes," he said. "Yes, I'm sure that's a good idea." No doubt it would be a difficult time for everybody, but having the family together would at least keep anyone from feeling lonely. "You'll get through this, Cyndi. You're not alone. And if I can do anything, or be there, you know how to reach me." It sounded as if she would already have plenty of support, but Monty knew what it was like to be surrounded by people and still feel alone. He didn't want her to feel she couldn't ask him for anything if she needed it. "Are you all right?" he asked after a moment, prepared to suggest they sit down or go outside if she was not.

Cyndi blinked back the tears as Monty spoke. She was grateful for his kindness and friendship, especially in these difficult times. Nodding her head, the woman took a deep breath as she gathered herself. "I will be. It's just a tough couple of weeks" she admitted. Honestly, it had been a tough year and Cyndi couldn't wait for it to finally come to an end. 2047 could not come fast enough though she wasn't sure it would be any better. She and Cameron needed to figure themselves out. "Thanks for being such a good friend" she said, smiling again as the music began to shift to something a little faster. Cyndi gave Monty a look, eyebrows raising as she wondered if he would want to continue dancing. "You up for this challenge, Pendleton or break time?" she teased.

Monty smiled sadly, though some genuine humour returned to his eye as Cyndi teased him about the dance. "I believe the more pertinent question," he replied, in a purposely affected tone, "is do you value the full functionality of both of your feet, or can you afford me to render one ineffective when I inevitably apply upon it my entire body weight?"

It felt good to laugh. In the past year, she found herself taking note of this particular enjoyment more and more. It was a much needed reminder that in even in grief she was allowed to enjoy herself from time to time. That she could, nay should keep living. Cyndi let go of the man's waist, her hand falling to her own, a mock serious expression on her face. "When I said 'break time' I didn't mean any of that" she waved her other hand, which she had removed from his shoulder. "You are a riot, Monty" she declared, a smile on her face. "Maybe it's time for some cider and you can tell me more about your granddaughter and how big she's getting " she added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back