Closed Curiosity almost killed the cat

Alexis Rodes King

The Rodes are not easy to get on your side.
OOC First Name
Lexi
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Curly 12 1/2" Flexible Larch Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Kaiba was too curious for his own good. After running around on the train to Hogwarts he decided to run out after the sorting ceremony once Alexis let him fee. He saw an opportunity and took it. Obviously he had no idea where he was going but his confidence in Alexis was strong. If cats could talk he would tell anyone willing to listen about his confidence in his owner. Sure some people would think Alexis didn't care, but he knew better. He knew that if push came to shove she would be there for him. They had a special bond that was hard to explain in words. Not that he could use words anyway.

Kaiba walked down the halls and out the front door. He had seen something intriguing on their way in and wanted to know more. What kind of cat would he be if he wasn't curious afterall. His owner was a curious one as well. That was the most likely reason Alexis let him roam free. As he made his way to a thick forest his hairs started to stand. Something wasn't right, but he so wanted to see what animals were in the forest. He didn't like humans much. So making mysterious friends with animals was his best option.

Before long Kaiba was lost. It wasn't fun anymore he wanted to go back. He was getting scared of this place that seemed to be watching him. He turned around and started following his sent back when something big blocked his way. He meowed and backed away before seeing a wolf. He was a goner.There was another noise that seemed to have distracted the wolf long enough for Kaiba to find a good hiding place in a nearby tree.

"Kaiba you silly cat where have you run off to now." Alexis shouted near the edge of the forest. She had no idea what posed her to walk all the way here, but she still needed to find her cat. She figured since she was already looking she'd just check where she was. Usually that's how she found her only friend. Following whatever forces drove her when it came to her cat.
After a few short seconds a black and white fur ball came bolting out of the forest and jumped into her arms. Something had spooked him terribly, but Alexis knew he wasn't able to tell her.
"If only you could talk."

((OOC: I thought it would be fun to show the connection and trust between my IC Alexis and her cat))

Tilly swore that the Headmistress had brought up the Forbidden Forest on purpose. Designating a place as "off-limits" was just plain cruel in Tilly's opinion- it made her want to go there all the more. Still, she hadn't mustered up the courage to dive in just yet. She had a wand, but she was practically a baby, barely able to cast a spell.

She walked a "safe" distance from the edge of the forest, far enough away where she wouldn't get yelled at, but close enough to peer in. Not that she could see much except trees and shadows.

And then a creature burst from the darkness and attacked a Slytherin girl. Tilly laughed nervously to herself when she realized it was just a cat that was very comfortable with the girl in question.

Tilly approached her fellow first year. "Merlin, he looks like something scared him half to death. Is he all right?"

Alexis was a bit startled by the sudden voice and she turned around to see another girl. She smiled and nodded at her. "Yeah he's not going to be running off by himself for a while now."

Tilly wondered if the cat truly had encountered something terrifying, or if he was just nervous by nature. She craned her neck and squinted her eyes, trying to see through the thick mess of trees, but- still nothing. Tilly sighed. Someday, when she had a few more spells memorized...

Whether or not there had been real danger, Tilly did feel sorry for the poor, frightened cat. She had a soft spot for animals, magical and non-magical. She wished she had brought a furry or feathered companion to school with her, but her parents were firm- if she did well in her studies during first year, they would consider allowing a cat or an owl next year.

"Well, he knows he's safe with you. What's his name?" Tilly asked.

"This is Kaiba. My very best friend. I give him a lot of freedom because I'm quite curious myself so I don't see the point in restricting him. I just wish he wouldn't go running around when it's dangerous. Poor thing. I got here just in time to see something big run off before he came out." Alexis wasn't bothered about giving out information. Her cat was safe and she was happy with that at the very least. He was still shaking in her arms but she knew he was going to calm down and be okay soon. The girl seemed quite curious herself about the forest. "Planning venturing into the forest at any time?" Alexis asked her.

Tilly smiled. "Kaiba- that's nice. Restricting cats is pretty difficult once they've made up their minds about something." She held out her hand. "My name's Tilly. I'm in Hufflepuff."

The shivering cat and the girl's mention of something "big" in the forest gave her pause. Tilly lowered her voice, "Someday, I think I will. To be honest, I'm no good at magic just yet." Which freshly-sorted first years truly were?

"Alexis. Slytherin." Alexis said taking the offered hand. "If you ever do go in there let me know. I wouldn't mind tagging along." Alexis stated matter of fact. She placed Kaiba on her shoulder like she always did. His front half facing forward and his back half hanging at the back. She began to pace up and down in front of the forest trying to see if the object had returned.

Tilly grinned. "Of course!" She thought the way Kaiba perched on Alexis's shoulder was pretty cute. Tilly wondered if Kaiba was friendly to other witches and wizards, or if he was just a one-person cat.

She followed Alexis, with some distance. "Do you see anything?" Tilly still saw diddly-squat in the forest.

"hmmm no it seems to be gone now." Alexis said stepping away from the edge. She stroked Kaiba and whispered. "It's okay kitty cat I'm here. No need to be scared I won't let anyone or anything hurt you." Thinking she was strange was the least of her worries... The Last thing Alexis wanted was for Kaiba to be to scared of anything. Just then Kaiba purred and lick Alexis' cheek.

turning to Tilly Alexis said.
"We should probably head inside before we get in trouble."

Tilly had to admit she was slightly disappointed. She so desperately wanted to catch a glimpse of the creature. She stood on her tiptoes but didn't step any closer to the edge of the woods. "I mean- we're not technically in the forest, right?" Tilly didn't feel like retreating to the stuffy castle just yet. The stone walls might as well be a cage.

"no we're not in the forest. I was referring to the fact that it's getting dark and closer to curfew." Alexis pointed towards the setting sun.

Tilly bit her lip. She supposed Alexis was right. It was getting late- not that this changed Tilly's opinion of the castle. Curfews were adult-driven nonsense.

"OK." Tilly turned away from the forest. "I'll walk back with you and Kaiba." She was quiet for a minute, and then added, "Do you like any of your classes yet?" Tilly didn't feel strongly about any of the classes she'd attended so far. She was really looking forward to Care of Magical Creatures, but wouldn't get to take this until her third year.

"Astronomy. Maybe DADA." Alexis answered slowly walking towards the castle. She didn't want to go back either but she had almost gotten in trouble once already. "What about you?"

Tilly shrugged. "I don't like sitting in lessons, at all. Staying still drives me mad." She smiled. "If I had to pick a favorite, though- I would say Transfiguration." The professor's first lesson had caught her attention. "Did you know our professor can turn into a dog?" She glanced over at Kaiba, wondering if the cat could be an Animagus, too. It wasn't impossible, after all- though not probable.

"interesting." Was all Alexis gave in response before she noticed Tilly looking at her cat. "If you're wondering I wouldn't know. If my cat is an Animagus. I wasn't the one that got him. I mean he was a gift. I've never seen him change and I don't know if he can." Alexis wasn't lying. How could she know anyway. It's not like she knew any reverse spells to find out. But whatever Kaiba was she cared about him non the less.

reaching the castle doors she turned to Tilly again.
"Where are your dorms?"

"He would have to be a very dedicated Animagus if that were the case." Tilly almost reached out to scratch Kaiba behind the ears, then thought better of it. She didn't want the cat or his mistress to swipe at her for not asking permission first.

"Hufflepuff House is up on the Fourth Floor," Tilly replied cheerily. "A bit of a walk. Where is Slytherin?"

"yeah best not to do that." Alexis said taking note of Tilly's action. "He isn't a friendly cat. I've only seen him let two other people near him. And the one was a house elf. He doesn't usually let anyone besides myself touch him."

"Slytherin is in the dungeons."
Alexis said hesitating before walking into the castle

Tilly hadn't reached for Kaiba, but she appreciated Alexis's warning. "Thanks for the heads up." She waved and split off from them as they entered the castle. "See you both around!" Tilly started the four-flight journey back to Hufflepuff House, tempted to take another detour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back