OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Holy sh!t...I don't want people getting images from my mind!

I just realized how this could be used positively, though. Like for people who are disabled very severely etc. Just imagine Stephen Hawking on one of these things once they become advanced enough.

hmmm
so i have mixed feelings about this, but as nick said it could be used for good
i work with children and adults who are severely handicapped who cannot convey verbally or otherwise if they are in pain, etc.
this could be a huge breakthrough for modern medicine since healthcare professionals are taught first and foremost that any patient condition (especially pain) is very subjective
i'm interested to see how this goes

One word:
wow...

That is super cool! Heck, I'd like to go back and watch my dreams and try to figure out what they mean.

A little scary, but cool.

I agree with Kat. Personally I see almost everyday how people's lives are affected just because they cannot communicate. I've also dealt with people who's lives have disintegrated because they were dwelling on a dream they could not solve.

I think that this would be a positive move for modern day medicine, although seeing this misused would break my heart.

This is cool, especially because of what you guys already mentioned, but in a way it's scary! Thoughts are supposed to be a private thing you know?
But if it was used strictly for medical purposes, I'm all for it.

Its pretty cool, I'd love to know what my dreams mean XD
I have very vivid dreams, and spend most of the day figuring them out...

It would never be strictly medical if it became sufficiently developed. It would be used to see the thoughts of Prisoners of War, it could be utilized by Governments to extract the information they want from anybody it could be used in courts so that the current system used in so many places is no longer in place and it could, eventually I'm sure, be used without your knowledge or consent.
Right now they need to show anybody hooked up to it over 400 images just to be able to get some fuzzy letters out of their head, but in time when they develop a general pattern or frequency to things I'm sure that won't be necessary anymore.
This is a really invasive thing, and something I expect governments to abuse.

And you just know there isn't a government in the entire world that would not take advantage of it and abuse it no end.
Medical breakthrough would be great but rose tinted glasses folks.
As Nick said it will be used eventually on ourselves without even our knowledge, governments the world over are constantly trying to get people to submit whether they want to or not, this could be an extremely effective tool in the wrong hands.
Too scary. I mean if you want to analyse your dreams, there are thousands of books out there, keep a pen and paper by your bed and write them down.
But having someone probe the deepest parts of your mind, no thanks.
I'm not even on the fence on this one, I'm way off it and waving from another planet.
Thumbs down or as in Roman days thumbs up, should stay a no no.
:doh:

Oh holy chit! There are things in my mind I don't want anyone to know!

I'll be more scared, though, when they can put images INTO your mind. OR see/read thoughts that you don't think of as an image (right now it only extracts images, not whole thoughts.)

You mean like what they had in Futurerama where they can put ads into your dreams?

Watch out for the Thought Police. That's all I could think, reading that.

Okay, sure, if it's used for some of the purposes you've suggested, that's great. BUT, you and I know it won't be. Because somewhere along the line, somebody is going to take the technology and turn it against everyone else. If I've learnt one thing from Doctor Who, it's that you can't trust the technology - especially in the hands of those with power.

I'm getting myself a tinfoil helmet, methinks.

Although as Estrella mentioned, I too would like to watch my dreams to interpret them. :p

Wow...

Just saw this and have one word to sum it up; Scared. Very Scared.

I mean, it could be good, but it won't, not in todays society. The government will abuse it.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back