Closed Christmas at the Lagowski's

Rudolf Lagowski

Farmer | Pheebs ♥

OOC First Name
Claire
Wand
Knotted 9 1/2 Inch Flexible Maple Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
Home. There really wasn't any place like it. Especially when there was mistletoe hanging from the front door and candles floating up among the rafters. The entire family had come to stay for the week - even Auntie Poppy, who hated children so much that she still hated them once they'd grown up, and Stella, who had just finished filming a new show in Los Angeles and was completely exhausted. Phoebe, James, Monty, Saveli, and her children had come as well, though most of them only for the day; there just weren't enough beds to accommodate everybody. The Lagowski barn was alive with laughter and the smell of mulled wine. For those who didn't (or were too young to) drink, there was hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows. After a dinner prepared mostly by Nathaniel (Poppy had added a few of her own special ingredients while his back was turned), the family and their friends had gathered around the living room fireplace to give their gifts and drink their drinks.

Rudolf nursed his mug as he sat cross-legged on the rug by the hearth, gazing fondly at Phoebe. As glad as he was to see his family, he knew the day would have meant nothing to him if Phoebe wasn't there. Suddenly Reuben leaned over to pass him a present, and as the twins' eyes met, Rudolf's stomach did a violent flip. The plan they had orchestrated - a plan almost everybody in the room except Phoebe and Saveli knew about - was so far going smoothly, but the most nerve-wracking part was yet to come. This was the place. It was almost the time. How could so much ride on such a simple question?

Reuben's present to Rudolf was tickets to see the Quidditch game - wrapped up in a pair of socks, so that for a second he thought that was all he'd got. He used the socks to smack his twin on the leg. "Thanks, Roo," he said, and he meant it.

Reuben grinned as he watched Rudolf unwrap his gift. He didn't have a lot of money to spend on his family - certainly not as much as he'd have liked - but what he did have, he was happy to give to the people he loved. That was probably why the farm was taking so long to get up and running. But Reuben didn't mind about that. He had everything he wanted already. Almost everything.

Monty had Rion on his knee while Ainmere crawled around on the floor pretending to be a dog. Every time Reuben blinked, his children seemed to have grown. Rion was already babbling (though only Saveli could understand her), and Ainmere was determined to give Reuben a heart attack with all the sneaking around she'd taken to doing. Fortunately, her bright red hair made her generally easy to spot. Reuben grinned. There was no doubt about it: Ainmere was a Lagowski.

Reuben put his hand on Saveli's while Ray unwrapped her gift from Auntie Poppy. He was less nervous than he'd expected to be. Rudolf, on the other hand, looked like he'd just seen a dementor. Reuben threw him the odd comforting smile when he could, which wasn't very often, because Rudolf very rarely took his eyes off Phoebe. Reuben wondered if he got the same look on his face when he looked at Saveli. Probably. He loved her more with every passing day.

Ray couldn't quite tell if she was excited or sad. Was it possible to be both at the same time? She and her brothers had grown up in this house, fought in this house, shared twenty Christmases in this house, and now suddenly everything was changing. Reuben had children. Two of them! Everybody was growing up, moving on, starting their new lives. Lives that didn't include Ray. She knew that was rubbish, really - she would always have her brothers, and they would always have her - but at that moment, sat cross-legged in her armchair next to Auntie Poppy, Ray somehow felt betrayed. She forced herself to smile, trying her best to appreciate the here and now before it got whisked away. It was just so unfair.

Years ago, in a time that seemed so distant yet so close, Christmas was the bane of Saveli's existence. She hated the happy faces, smells of food she'd never touch - there was something so disgusting about people being so happy. However now that she was older, wiser, and more loved than anyone ever could imagine - the Holidays seemed like the best time of year. At the Lagowski house there was an over abundance of smells, lights, and sounds. People chattered, laughed and it was obvious that there was not a single person in the room together that did not belong. Even Saveli felt like she did.

The ultra-blonde turned to her boyfriend and smiled, always having Mere in the corner of her eyes. After all it seemed she got Saveli's mischievous side. Sav smiled and squeezed Roo's hand back, before glancing at the goofy couple beside them. Rudolf gazed at his girlfriend and Saveli wondered why the poor sap hadn't popped the question. After all, Phoebe was smart and accomplished - she carved and made her own Runes despite being blind, and of course she put up with the man's shenanigans.

As Ray finished opening one of her presents, Saveli eagerly passed her own to her. "It's not much!" She insisted, before snatching up the red head baby whom was trying to make off with someone's gift. She held her daughter on her lap and watched for Ray to open the floo powder and house key. After all, everyone needed a place to go, and Sav hadn't had much of a sister other than Viv - so Raylee was welcome any time for wine, coffee, or just a quiet nap if needed. Saveli wondered if perhaps she should have asked her other half before doing such. But frankly the floo system was outside of the house, so what was the harm.

Ray wasn't quite sure what she was unwrapping. Floo powder? She had plenty already. A key? Suddenly it clicked. She blushed, putting Saveli's gifts down next to her others. "Um - thanks," she said, wondering if she had really been so transparent that Reuben's girlfriend had seen through her. The thought was mortifying. Yet she was touched by the woman's kindness, and couldn't help but flash her a small, but meaningful, smile. Now she wished she'd got something for Saveli. Not that she could have afforded to even if it had crossed her mind. She'd only bought presents for her brothers and parents, and they'd been cheap. Feeling as if Saveli was probably judging her, she pretended to organise her gifts - gifts she definitely didn't deserve.

It was only upon getting to know the Lagowskis that Monty had realised just how cold his half-siblings were. Half the time, he forgot he even had half-siblings, and he was sure they thought about him just as little. They'd made it clear from the day they'd met that none of them wanted to get to know him. That was fine. He didn't want to get to know them, either. They were stiff, pretentious people. Monty had nothing in common with them besides a father, and since discovering he had had an affair, Monty didn't feel too fondly about him anyway.

The Lagowskis, on the other hand, had made it clear from the day they'd met that Monty was a part of their family. They welcomed him warmly into their home, treated him as they treated one another, and never judged or questioned him if he needed to go out into the garden for some air. He still felt a little like an outsider, but that was only because he'd never had a loving family of his own; he didn't know how to accept their kindness. It certainly wasn't a reflection on their hospitality. No - Monty could not think of a kinder family to take care of his daughter; he owed them a great deal of her happiness, and he would forever be in their debt.

With Rion on his knee, Monty wasn't in much of a position to open presents, but he could still give them out by asking somebody else to pass them along. The wriggly blonde whined and batted him on the chin. He knew she wanted to be held by her dad, or better still, let down on the floor, but Monty was under strict instruction to hold onto her - at least for the time being. Catching Reuben's eye, Monty gave him a surreptitious nod of encouragement. If they left it much longer, the babies were going to start crying for their beds, and even if the children never remembered this moment, they needed to be here for it.

Phoebe could not believe how far she'd come from where she started - both in the magical world and in her social abilities as the person she was. Blindness may have taken her sense of vision away but it was clear that it didn't take her determination, or anything else. Now a successful runecrafter, the blonde was only eager for one more step in her life, one that she figured would happen when her Gryffindor love grew a spine. It wasn't as if Phoebe meant any malice in think so - it was just that her parents asked more and more every day if the union would be made holy - and the pressure sometimes got to her. After all, Phoebe would be happy just knowing she belonged to Rudolf the rest of her life.

The festivities were well under way, and Phoebe hand a hand in Roo's when she could. Occasionally she and Saveli would share stories, Saveli's mostly about the rambunctious children and Phoebe's mostly about customer's who doubted she was even the owner of her shop. "What did she get you?" Phoebe asked, as most people had been naming the presents that were given so it was slightly easier for Phoebe to feel included, which of course was kind.

Ray winced. "Floo powder. And a house key," she told Phoebe, hoping she wouldn't have to expand any further. People were running out of presents to give out. In fact the only people who still had presents to give were Rudolf and Reuben. They were really taking their time. Ray shot them a look. Sure, it was a big moment, and it had to be perfect, but the suspense was just about going to kill her, if embarrassment didn't first.

Rudolf finally stood up. "Okay, uhh, Ruby and have something to say," he announced, picking his way across the discarded gift wrap and kneeling down next to Phoebe. He took her hand in both of his and held it slightly tighter than he needed to. "So, um, basically, I didn't get you a present," he said. "I was going to get you this, like, really awesome rune pouch, but then I realised I didn't have enough money, sooo... it's the thought that counts, right? Uh, anyway, I love you." It was the first time he'd told her in front of his family, and though they all knew it already, he felt himself blush. "A lot. I mean, I've loved you since I was eleven, and I saw you at the sorting ceremony. I told Reuben a few weeks later, 'Yeah, that's the girl I'm gonna marry.' He laughed, obviously. I wasn't always as cool as I am now. Anyway, it took about six years, and a lot of rejection, but you finally agreed to be my girlfriend, and... I have never been so happy in my life. Okay, I'm not crying, you're crying. Uhh - I don't know where I'd be without you. You are literally the light of my life, the center of my universe, and I want to spend every day I have left making you happy. Buuut first my brother wants to say something."

Reuben squeezed Saveli's hand a little harder, just in case she noticed his was shaking. Rudolf's speech was one of the least romantic things Reuben had ever heard, yet somehow he could feel his brother's love for Phoebe running through it. He nodded at the part about him marrying her. He really had said that, and Reuben really had laughed. It was bizarre to think that this was actually happening - that, provided she said yes, Rudolf might really marry her after all.

As his speech concluded, Reuben cleared his throat. "Yeah. I want to say that, first of all, my brother is still the world's biggest doofus. Secondly... wow. I know we've been together for, like, four years, but I still wake up every morning and just think... wow. I am the luckiest guy in the whole world. I have the most kind, badass, beautiful girlfriend, but not only that, she's also an amazing mom, and my best friend. You have given me so many things to be happy for. I didn't even know that I wanted to be a dad, and now I can't imagine not having our girls. My life would be completely meaningless without you. All of you. Which is why I want to ask you this question." He grinned at Saveli, then glanced at Rudolf, who nodded.

Together they got to their knees and took the boxes out of their pockets. Reuben opened his, while Rudolf pressed his carefully into Phoebe's hand, but they both said the same four words:

"Will you marry me?"

Saveli watched carefully as the less attractive twin got to his feet and awkwardly began talking about Phoebe. Rudolf didn't exactly have a way with words, but perhaps that was the Gryffindor in him. The blonde giggled, knowing though what this speech might mean. After all, for Rudolf to go so long without stuffing food in his mouth was quite the feat. Saveli squeezed Reuben's hand and looked at him in excitement - Phoebe Lagowski just would be perfect. Especially since Phoebe was the only girl Sav knew could put up with Rudolf the way she did.

However the thought of the other twin's engagement stopped short when he passed off the speech making to his brother. The blonde looked at Reuben, grey eyes narrowing suspiciously. "What are you doing?" She asked, backing up in her seat to sit up a little straighter. "You are not." She said, her face turning a glowing crimson, her eyes already becoming watery at the thought. Then he said it, one knee planted firmly on the ground and a ring box in his hand. Saveli looked down at the ring and swallowed. "Holy f***" she muttered looking at it. "Duh. Yes. Absolutely." She said, realizing that none of her words could express how much she meant yes.

Phoebe looked sideways toward the shuffling sounds Reuben was making, and while she couldn't see how uncomfortable he was it was obvious that he was - the aura coming off him made her wonder if he'd ripped his pants or something. What else could make him so unimaginably uncomfortable? Phoebe turned her head back into the direction of her own boyfriend and she rolled her orbs laughing slightly. He was relentless their whole friendship, and for a moment audio memories flooded her mind, all at once as if their whole past was playing in her mind on a record. She laughed as he passed it off to his brother, he was setting Reuben up to propose she bet! The thought was adorable, Saveli was going to be so shocked - after all she and the other blonde had just been talking about how it seemed neither boy was ever going to actually propose.

However as the air in the room shifted, and a box was thrust open into her hand, Phoebe realized Roo wasn't setting his brother up for a proposal, they were both setting up to do it. The witch reached out and felt for the ring, looking down in the general direction. She bet the gemstone was gorgeous, and felt the cut of it, the band and the way it seemed. "I don't know, shouldn't I spend six years saying no first?" She asked, laughing. "It's beautiful, but it's not really my color." She spoke, eyes trained somehow on his face, as if she just could tell where he was. "Yes. One hundred percent yes."

Reuben was absolutely revelling in the look on Saveli's face. He'd done well to make absolutely no suggestion about a proposal - had even gone so far as to off-handedly mention that it would be good for them to get engaged in a few years - and he knew Rudolf had done the same. It was quite well planned out, if he was allowed to say so himself. He removed the ring from its box and slid it carefully onto Saveli's finger. "I love you so much," he said, grinning like a complete idiot even though he was trying to be serious. He kissed her gently on the lips and squeezed her hand.

Rudolf wiped the tears from his face, partly relieved and partly sad that Phoebe couldn't see them. He laughed at her jokes, as if he wasn't genuinely crapping himself in fear that she would spend another six years rejecting him. When she finally said yes, his whole world came together in a single word, and he cried even harder with joy he hadn't known he could feel. With trembling hands he put the ring on Phoebe's finger and kissed her on the back of the hand. "Merry Christmas," he said, leaning into her ear. "That was your present, by the way. I love you." Then he enveloped her in his arms and squeezed her as tightly as he could without crushing her.

Saveli looked at her boyfriend - well fiance - and smiled a grin so large her face might have split. She then looked to Monty and narrowed her eyes playfully. "How long did you keep it a secret, you big eared jerk." She laughed and hugged her father tightly, before showing him the ring on her finger. The stone was moonstone, used in love potions - and she couldn't help but feel like she'd underestimated her lover's thoughtfulness. She then moved to show everyone who got a chance to look at it, before stopping to look at Phoebe's and allowing her to feel the shape and describing it to her. The two blonde's gushed together. "Man now i feel lame for your gift, you arse." She said, before handing Roo a small box that contained tickets to his favorite quidditch team. She had gotten them the best seats in the house, having saved up tons of her money from growing and selling potions ingredients.

Last edited:
Phoebe felt the ring on her finger, and could feel the runes on the side. With her nails she traced them as she had done when studying runes and smiled. "The Frigg." She murmured. Frigga had stood for married love in original mythology essentially, and the effort put into it was quite stunning. Tears pricked at Pheeb's milky orbs and she looked away to dry them before feeling at Saveli's ring, which was equally as beautiful. "This is amazing. My parents are going to flip. They'll want the wedding to be huge." She said with a laugh. "Oh god now I have to wedding plan." She said before looking quite exasperated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back