Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Hey all,

I'd like some feedback on how we currently change people's usergroup (from whatever to the ones that need no formal application (durmstrang, beauxbatons, member, family, other-employee etc. ) ).
Currently, people just PM an admin and it happens as soon as possible. However, I don't think this is stated anywhere and a lot of new members often PM asking how to change to one such group (if there is a application somewhere, etc. ).
So, I'm wondering if a simple webpage should be set up to request being changed to one of those common groups. It would then submit a form (just like an application or a name change request), but the form would just be what your character's name is and what group you want them changed to (or, in the case of 'other employee', also what they work as).
What do you think of that idea? Should it happen? Would it make things easier/more clear for you lot?

The main downside would be that people wouldn't be able to PM with a list of 15 characters they want changed to another group. (However, I think of that as a rather positive thing, because those requests were always absurd and caused a lot more work than if I just got one request from each account.)

Thanks in advance for your input,

~Nick

I'd say go with it if you think it makes things easier for you, Nick. You're the one saddled with all the work. :)

Would groups be changed automatically (by whichever code,) or would someone have to still do that manually?

I think this is an awesome idea.
And I agree with the whole 15 charrie changes in one PM...if they want them changed they could use the new form xD

Estrella Styx said:
Would groups be changed automatically (by whichever code,) or would someone have to still do that manually?
Somebody would still change them manually, but that's not a big deal.
It'd be easier in many respects because a code or two can simplify the manual process down to like nothing.
It would be better organized in the back-end of the site (clearing out my PM inbox for important and/or social things and not a bunch of group change PMs), and it would be better advertised to new members that they would use that. (Instead of having them PM me in a fit of confusion.)

I think this is a good idea.
I always feel bad having to contact the Admin for a group change. Because I know it's just clogging up the PM inbox.
So having a system like this would be good and make things easier for newer members who aren't quite sure how things
work. And if it would make things easier for you Nick, then that's good too.

This is a great idea!
I think it would definitely make things easier for newer members :)

Thats a great Idea.
I say go for it. I'm guessing, it can be annoying changing with every request, and it would be more organized.
It would make thing easier for newer members.

I don't see how this would really benefit you Nick, or the staff for that matter. All this is doing is converting the process from just PMing you to an application and the only main benefit I see is that it will give you better way to keep organized behind the scene. That's about it. Either way, either is fine with me, however, the application way seems a bit longer to process for the users. The load seems to be taken off the staff (slightly), and being brought upon the users.

Selwin Snape said:
I don't see how this would really benefit you Nick, or the staff for that matter. All this is doing is converting the process from just PMing you to an application and the only main benefit I see is that it will give you better way to keep organized behind the scene. That's about it. Either way, either is fine with me, however, the application way seems a bit longer to process for the users. The load seems to be taken off the staff (slightly), and being brought upon the users.
It would benefit me in these ways:
1) I wouldn't get a single PM with 15 users to change to members (where I then have to copy/paste each name, user search, etc.). I would get 15 separate topics posted in a hidden forum. I then have direct links to each user's profile (and can run an appropriate member's autotool), or I can click the ACP link next to their username (made via my GreaseMonkey script) and directly edit their account.
2) I won't be getting floods of PMs.

It would, of course, also keep things more organized in general and prevent users from messaging multiple admin for the same group change (this happens frequently and is more than frustrating).

The application wouldn't take longer for most users. In most cases it would be: click, select, click, done.
For those users who frequently have hordes of characters moved: yes, this would be longer, but it would remove a lot of the stress for me (see points 1 and 2 for how this is easier for me).

So the load is taken off me (a lot) and moved to nobody (less in extreme circumstances).

That's how I view this, at least.

I really like this idea! :cool:
It sounds like it would make things easier for newer members and a lot less tasking then PMing the Admins for a member group change was. ♥

I don't think it would benefit or hurt the members but it would be easier for you/Livvy/etc which is good for you, so I'm all for it. ^_^

I think this is an amazing idea. Go for it, Nick. You have my support.

This sounds a lot easier for you Nick, and like a great idea. ^_^

Awesome idea. ^_^
Would 'Dead' be considered on there as well? Just curious. xD

Great Idea. Sounds like a good way to go.

I think this is a good idea.
I feel awkward when I have to PM (I feel like I'm spamming) and I never know what to write. I've sort of adopted a series of words (also known as a sentence) to use on such an occasion. But I would rather not use them because there's just this awkward feeling of being too personal or too formal.
Anyway, yes, good idea and brilliant if it helps with Admin.

I agree with Beth.
I feel stupid when I have to PM you for a group change thinking it will bother you too much.
This idea is great and it will be easier for everyone especially you Nick :D

Nicolas King said:
Selwin Snape said:
It would benefit me in these ways:
1) I wouldn't get a single PM with 15 users to change to members (where I then have to copy/paste each name, user search, etc.). I would get 15 separate topics posted in a hidden forum. I then have direct links to each user's profile (and can run an appropriate member's autotool), or I can click the ACP link next to their username (made via my GreaseMonkey script) and directly edit their account.
2) I won't be getting floods of PMs.

It would, of course, also keep things more organized in general and prevent users from messaging multiple admin for the same group change (this happens frequently and is more than frustrating).

The application wouldn't take longer for most users. In most cases it would be: click, select, click, done.
For those users who frequently have hordes of characters moved: yes, this would be longer, but it would remove a lot of the stress for me (see points 1 and 2 for how this is easier for me).

So the load is taken off me (a lot) and moved to nobody (less in extreme circumstances).

That's how I view this, at least.
Exactly my point. It makes it easier for you. I don't know why you had to post a public poll for this when you could have just put it into act because it really doesn't affect the userbase, but rather, the staff themselves. :p

But your first sentence was "I don't see how this would really benefit you Nick". o_O You contradict yourself!

Also: I like to get input sometimes, especially if I feel like I might be missing something. ;)

Nicolas King said:
But your first sentence was "I don't see how this would really benefit you Nick". o_O You contradict yourself!

Also: I like to get input sometimes, especially if I feel like I might be missing something. ;)
I didn't mean to contradict myself. xD I tend to do that at times when I'm really tired. ;)

I agree with this but also what house and what year or we are placed in should be our choice or good chastise are put in slytherin

Juliet Montague said:
I agree with this but also what house and what year or we are placed in should be our choice or good chastise are put in slytherin
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here, but if you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting (that people just ask to be put in a house/year and they're moved there): no.
HNZ is organized, and has sorting. That's how things will continue to work. =]

Whatever you say Nicktator.

I think this is a great idea.

I feel that I should say that if you do add this that you should put the link to it in the 'Unsorted Information' box, so that new members know without having to read the Site Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back